|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Ravnica: City of Guilds||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Chord of Calling
Convoke (Each creature you tap while playing this spell reduces its cost by or by one mana of that creature's color.)
Search your library for a creature card with converted mana cost X or less and put it into play. Then shuffle your library.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (10)||PhyrexianScience , ibraJG84 , Mousemke , perrin515 , tragic_slip , AlertKnave8075 , ChrisH , ZombieFood , mentor6 , MoJoMiXuP|
|Want (6)||TheRealPeaches , , Turtlelover73 , awalloftext , Zomgasa , pskinn01|
Chord of Calling Discussion
18 hours ago
OK I am going to give a more in depth analysis of combo in modern because there's quite a few differing opinions and I just want to clear some stuff up and you can decide for yourself. (I didn't do this before because I was on mobile and now I am at work and bored.)
So as mentioned before there are quite a few spell oriented OTK decks.
Ad nauseum is a deck that kills you only with the combo and does it in one turn. It uses Angel's Grace or Phyrexian Unlife and ad nauseum to draw their whole deck and cast Lightning Storm pitching bunch of lands or Laboratory Maniac and a draw spell to just win. This deck was very popular for a time because it can win at instant speed and it just "do these resolve?" Ok I win then. The reason it has fallen out of favor is because any deck running black these days is running 6-8 discard spells and even though it has a lot of card selection it also needs to find very specific cards to combo off. Also if you discard and Surgical Extraction their ad nauseum they literally cannot win. The deck was pretty favored against creature decks but its just pretty darn bad against discard spells.
UR gifts storm this deck is a more recent addition to combo in modern just because it was more of a niche deck but with addition to Baral, Chief of Compliance it has become a lot more consistent. This is another OTK style combo deck that pretty much only wins with a stormed Grapeshot or attacks with a stormed Empty the Warrens. The deck just uses Goblin Electromancer and/or Baral, Chief of Compliance to generate a lot of mana and cast Gifts Ungiven and Past in Flames to recast their graveyard and Grapeshot the opponent. The best part of the deck is that it is pretty skill intensive. It requires a lot of knowledge about the deck but once you have certain situations covered you can do very well with it. The deck is good against discard decks because it can be a bit more consistent with the Gifts Ungiven s but it is kind of slow to go off so fast creature decks especially with interaction for their creatures can stop them.
Cheerios combo deck which is pretty similar to UR gifts because it uses Grapeshot to win. It uses Puresteel Paladin and/or Sram, Senior Artificer, a bunch of 0 mana equipment, Retract and Grapeshot to get a big storm count draw their deck and kill. The deck is very susceptible to creature removal and bad draws but is very explosive. Because its pretty inconsistent though people tend to not play it in tournaments right now because early creature interaction is so common and it can kind of flounder and fail.
Titan shift so there are a couple variations of this deck but I went with one that played both Primeval Titan and Scapeshift. This deck is pretty straight forward you get 7ish lands and cast Scapeshift getting Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle and mountains for an OTK. Or you can try to grind them out with Primeval Titan although once that card resolves or attacks its basically game over. The reason I said this is not a common or good deck right now is because "bolting things" is not good enough right now and its bad to discard spells a little bit. The boogeyman in modern right now is deaths shadow aggro in mulitple variations and this deck will just kill you before you can combo off and you cant bolt their creatures. Also in the blue version they play Stubborn Denial and Scapeshift looks pretty bad then. So the deck is mostly good against small linear creature decks which just isnt most of modern right now.
Goryos vengeance combo-y decks the deck here is the one with Goryo's Vengeance Griselbrand and Nourishing Shoal and it uses those cards to draw their deck and attack and Through the Breach in Worldspine Wurm and bolt you with Borborgymos Enraged. So it has a few avenues to win with but they are all pretty OTK style. The deck loses to itself a lot with bad draws and can be susceptible to graveyard hate but is VERY explosive it mostly just loses to fast aggro decks and counterspell heavy decks. Right now people just dont like playing decks that lose to themselves.
So now we will move into the creature heavy combo decks.
Kiki chord this deck is very much a value deck that when it happens to combo it just kind of does. The deck just plays good creatures and sort of a "toolbox" approach with Chord of Calling to try to kill your opponent and out value them. If it can it has the option of comboing them with Restoration Angel and Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker as mentioned above in Smackjacks UWR kiki control. These decks are fine right now because Path to Exile is pretty good but playing the value game is kind of hard so the combo is pretty useful. I am not sure exactly how they are favored right now but they are not very popular to my knowledge.
Abzan collected company combo this deck goes up and down with popularity as time goes on. It uses Melira, Sylvok Outcast and/or Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit with Kitchen Finks and/or Murderous Redcap and Viscera Seer to gain infinite life or deal infinite damage (or make their creatures infinitely large). It can also play a small value game with their creatures but not nearly as well as kiki combo can because this deck is more set up to combo more often then not. This deck is actually probably pretty good right now but its just not super popular and I am sure there is a reason for that but I dont quite know what that is.
Knightfall this deck is sort of a combo deck so I included it. It uses Knight of the Reliquary and Retreat to Coralhelm to make the knight really big in combat and OTK someone. It also plays a value game similar to kiki chord and abzan coco combo but this one is more of a value deck than a combo one because it plays so few pieces of the combo since you cant hit both off Collected Company or Chord of Calling. This has seen a bit of resurgence but mostly in just a couple niche tournaments where it did pretty well I do not personally think is that great because the value game is so much like abzan coco and kiki chord with much less of a combo game to it.
So these are what I personally consider combo decks in modern. "Combo" is extremely subjective and everyones definition is different so take this as you will. Other combo-y decks that people mentioned above are elves, dredge, tron? I have no idea why people think this is a combo deck, affinity also why is this considered a combo deck?
So check them all out see what hits your preferences there are resources to help understand and better play every single one and they all have their advantages and disadvantages. My personal opinion and through MTGO and tournament reports the combo decks I listed and explained are not well positioned because there is so much deaths shadow aggro and discard decks and they just cannot assemble all they need and die too fast because of it. Or they flounder too much and die.
1 day ago
1 day ago
I will say that I have not been super impressed with Collected Company in this deck... I know it looks good on paper, but I seem to hit Smuggler's Copter and Restoration Angel too much and end up only getting 1 voice or 1 witness.
Maybe I will try out Chord of Callings instead. It feels like this deck needs more precision strikes (especially out of the sideboard) than just random blanket value from cocos. Which may explain why Eldritch Evolution seems to fit so well.
2 days ago
Ok, I've actually been thinking about Necroskitter for a long time, I think the printing of Hapatra, Vizier of Poisons makes the deck possible. So a deck with Necroskitter to be good I think you need to add green for Melira, Sylvok Outcast and Chord of Calling. This allows you to combo Necroskitter with Black Sun's Zenith.
The deck you currently have isn't bad, I think you ment to put in Nest of Scarabs instead of Scarab Feast. I would say Grim Affliction is too slow, Contagion Clasp instead. -1/-1 counters on their own are not super powerful, that is why having other cards that benefit like Necroskitter, Nest of Scarabs, and Hapatra, Vizier of Poisons. Another interesting card is Crumbling Ashes, allows for easier control of the board. Corrosive Mentor is also fairly interesting.
2 days ago
In the absence of Cryptic Command, consider Logic Knot as a catch all counterspell. With regard to card draw, is Sphinx's Revelation too far off budget? If not, then you can do away with even needing Snapcaster Mage, and instead win by chaining Elixir of Immortality into Sphinx's Revelation. Consider also Shadow of Doubt as another cheap cantrip - it helps against Expedition Map, Chord of Calling, Scapeshift, Sanctum of Ugin, and turns Ghost Quarter into Strip Mine. Most importantly, though, sniping an opposing fetchland early is game-ending.
Think Twice and Shadow of Doubt do fit this list better than Serum Visions, either providing card advantage or allowing you to keep up countermagic. Consider Elspeth, Sun's Champion over Narset Transcendent as a better win condition that dominates the board and has a built in wrath effect.
2 days ago
4 days ago
This advice is for going full Human Tribal, so no soldiers and spirits.
- Minus Emeria Shepherd Card is too expensive, no synergy b/c no ETB effects or payoff cards to reanimate.
- Minus Collective Effort Card is too mediocre in EDH
- Minus Devout Invocation, Although a very cool and flavourful card, it's too expensive, and doesn't have a direct impact on the board without a haste source in play.
- Minus Ajani Unyielding, Strong card, but no synergy wit the deck.
- Minus Bow of Nylea, Card is too underwhelming in EDH
- Minus Gallows at Willow Hill, again, very flavourful, but underwhelming.
- Minus Swiftfoot Boots, usually works better with big creatures that need protection, instead of a lot of small creatures, if you really want to play it, go for Lightning Greaves
- Minus Thought Vessel, you don't really need the ramp if you keep the CMC low, same goes for the hand-size limit, you want to keep casting creatures, not gain a massive hand. Imagine drawing this instead of more humans that commit to the board state.
- Minus Asceticism, you're main concern is board wipes, not target removal, I would suggest playing this in a creature based deck like Mayael the Anima
- Minus Archetype of Courage, too underwhelming in my opinion
- Minus Somberwald Sage, only ramps for big creatures, which is not your focus.
- Minus Decimator of the Provinces, too underwhelming for its cmc
- Minus Elder of Laurels, not a bad card, but only buffs one creature, you want more anthem effects.
- Minus Fiend Hunter, it's a solid card, there are better options
- Minus Geist-Honored Monk, solid card, but no human synergy and no game changer for 5 CMC
- Minus Odric, Lunarch Marshal, Minus Odric, Master Tactician, never been a fan of these.
- Minus Precinct Captain, soldiers, no humans
- Minus Ulvenwald Tracker, meh
- Minus Voice of Resurgence, obviously one of the best cards in Modern, solid in EDH, but not really a human card
- Minus Nissa, Voice of Zendikar, I get the point, but no humans
- Minus Avacyn, Angel of Hope, So good, so expensive
- Minus Mosswort Bridge, not enough value to gain here, so just a slow land card.
- Plus Skullclamp best draw engine for tokens in the game.
- Plus Devout Chaplain, solid tribe removal
- Plus Heron's Grace Champion, excellent combat trick.
- Plus Herald of War, solid tribal support
- Plus Tireless Tracker, great stand-alone with draw-engine
- Plus Grand Abolisher, anti control card
- Plus Thraben Doomsayer, free human tokens,
- Plus Angel of Jubilation, anthem
- Plus Chord of Calling, find your craterhoof on instant speed.
- Plus Eladamri's Call, tutor.
- Plus Green Sun's Zenith, tutor.
- Plus Avacyn's Pilgrim, solid human mana dork
- Plus Overwhelming Stampede wincon
- Plus Door of Destinies anthem
- Plus Akroma's Memorial wincon
- Plus Obelisk of Urd tribal anthem
- Plus Cryptolith Rite Ramp
- Plus Angelic Overseer Solid tribal support
- Plus Marshal's Anthem Recursion + Anthem
- Plus Kodama's Reach additional Cultivate
- Plus Adaptive Automaton tribal support
- Plus Enlightened Tutor
- Plus Gather the Townsfolk, more humans!
6 days ago
but you can with Chord of Calling!
You might also find Cream of the Crop useful for setting up the next card you draw. You can choose to stack it's effect after Karametra, keeping the chosen card on top.