|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander 2017 (C17)||Rare|
|Commander 2015 (C15)||Rare|
|Magic 2013 (M13)||Rare|
|Promo Set (000)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Staff of Nin
At the beginning of your upkeep, draw a card.
: Staff of Nin deals one damage to target creature or player.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (22)||orzhov_is_relatively_okay819 , , LTmiller , Willis1994 , mziter501 , ecurps , tragic_slip , switchkill65 , Mogar , Dr_Jay , pokemate0 , , Nemesis , Friedrice24 , Venser_the_Sojoner , Boza , pskinn01 , HR19 , hwagner , Swamy , rakdos24 , rockleemyhero|
|Want (2)||Ariumlegion , Va1mar|
Staff of Nin Discussion
9 hours ago
Since I didn't get a direct answer, I am just going to infer that you want cards that cost at most 5 mana and cards that cost at most 8 dollars (you mentioned Staff of Nin and Mind's Eye which almost make it but don't).
Not knowing the rest of the deck and if you have lots of creatures in it (where Skullclamp and friends would be fantastic), here is a list I found of cards that should help after looking through MagicalHacker - List of All Draw Cards (Steady), my resource of all available efficient cards that let you repeatedly gain card advantage:
- Sunset Pyramid
- Bottled Cloister
- Oracle's Vault
- Seer's Sundial
- Tapestry of the Ages
- Thran Tome
- Illuminated Folio
- Moonring Mirror
- Treasure Map Flip
Take a look at that previously linked list to see exactly what can and can't work for you, and I'm sure that you'll find more than enough cards to do what you want. :)
3 days ago
So I'm making a Neheb, the Eternal commander deck and (obviously) I'm having issues with recurrable card draw. I thought about using "exile the top card of you library, you may play that card until end of turn" type spells, but there are only four recurrable ones, one of which is fine, Outpost Siege, but the others all have some massive downsides,such as Chandra, Pyromaster's inability to tick up if you use that ability constantly and Vance's Blasting Cannons Flip turning into a shitty land. And Chandra, Torch of Defiance costs the earth, and will continue to do so until Kaladesh rotates out of standard. Those last two dom't even hit lands anyway. So I then bit the bullet and decided to use Grafted Skullcap since it combos with Pyromancer's Swath and all, but the only cards that I could find that had a similar effect were Avaricious Dragon and Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker! As his ultimate! Help a guy out, and throw me some recurrable card draw in mono red that can secure my land drops early game (so no Staff of Nin lol) for an affordable price (I wish I could afford Mind's Eye...)
5 days ago
Card-draw is vital in EDH and nearly impossible in Boros colors. Reforge the Soul is one of the best red card-draw spells that isn't Wheel of Fortune. I like Outpost Siege a lot. Cathartic Reunion, Tormenting Voice, Faithless Looting, and Wild Guess are decent. Better with graveyard recursion or extra draw Alhammarret's Archive) but that's Red for ya.
Mind's Eye is one of the best colorless options but it's expensive. Staff of Nin isn't too bad. I love Farsight Mask. Perhaps Infiltration Lens and Rogue's Gloves? Most of the rest help you opponents, like Howling Mine, Temple Bell, Font of Mythos, etc.
1 week ago
Looking great so far would suggest Thran Dynamo, Dreamstone Hedron, Hedron Archive for mana, and Mind's Eye and Staff of Nin for extra card draw, Solemn Simulacrum and Expedition Map help you get more land. Finally gotta mentionUgin, the Spirit Dragon probably the best planeswalker in general but super good with eldrazi
2 weeks ago
I love slivers more than most players. It seems like your deck has a lot of slivers in it, which is good, but I feel like in some cases you need an reason to put it in besides the fact that it's a sliver. I run a bizarre kind of sliver token deck though, so in mine, I only run 17 or so slivers, so take everything I have to say with a grain of salt.
Slivers that aren't that great:
- Blade Sliver
- Dementia Sliver (I guess if you like it, you should keep it)
- Essence Sliver (this one sounds nuts, but I run Aura Shards over this, simply because it's strictly better. There is the fact that you can't tutor for it with overlord, but for me, I have the problem that essence sliver doesn't have "may," so sometimes I end up killing a lot of my own stuff. Still there's an argument to be made for it.
- Screeching Sliver (I just don't know why this card is in here. It seems like a pretty non-synergistic effect. I also feel like even if you had a lot of slivers, it would take you an ass ton of time to mill someone out by tapping them all in EDH)
Other things to take out:
- Staff of Nin (I like this card in mono-red, but that's about it. since you have access to all the colors, there's a huge amount of cards you have access to that are just better than this card. Find something that works well with your deck. I like Fecundity, but I'm in tokens. There's a lot in blue that are great. Mind Unbound will draw you a lot of cards (a lot more than the staff). and has the same CMC, but it does have double blue. I even like Phyrexian Arena in this deck.
- Hive Stirrings. (I'm in sliver tokens and I don't really love this card. Just a lot of other effects i'd rather have for 3 mana. Maybe a Mirror Entity or an Phyrexian Arena)
- Venser's Journal (I love this card, but not in this deck. I just feel like there's not enough card draw, hand size shenannagins to make use of this card. If you added like 10 more card draw spells then sure, good pick)
Stuffs to Add:
(Note: given the sliver legion and queen, it seemed like money wasn't much of an issue, so some of these picks aren't exactly budget)
- Brood Sliver (Where is this guy? seriously, he's great.)
- Cryptolith Rite (take out Springleaf Drum. Cryptolith Rite costs one more and is strictly better.)
- Amoeboid Changeling (I think I know what you're going for with Unnatural Selection. If you want though, you can even tutor it out, since amoeboid is a changeling and therefore a sliver. I only do this when I feel like I absolutely have to or I feel like being a dick. depends on your meta, but I try not to overuse this ability too much.)
- Crypt Sliver (just...yes....)
- Crystalline Sliver (this has a downside if you need to target your stuff, so don't drop it unless you need to. I feel like this is a better slot in than blade sliver or some of the lower end pumps. If you need to, only play him when you already have a sliver with a sac outlet on the battlefield)
- Mesmeric Sliver (depending on how many slivers you can drop, this gets pretty nuts. just always make opponents draw land.)
- Shifting Sliver (THIS MUST GO IN. Like seriously though. just drop this and win.)
- Coat of Arms (Most EDH decks only have access to one of these effects, but yours can have access to two with sliver legion in the deck too. I know this pumps everyone's tribal, so just have more of your tribe and you're good. Also you only have to drop this when you want to swing for lethal. Might be a good slot instead of Venser's Journal or something.)
Some nuts busted cards:
- Cryptic Gateway. (this is nuts. I love it)
- Cauldron of Souls (this is a super underrated card. When I go in and retune my deck, this is going in)
- Wild Pair (since you like cryptic gateway, you might like this card. didn't make it into mine, because i'm pretty low on slivers, but slivers always have the same power and toughness, making it really easy to use this card.)
Great deck. I'd love to hear what you think of my sliver tokens deck. I haven't tweaked it in a while so there's some obvious slot in's from Ixalan at least that need to go in. http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/make-tokens-great-again/
Thanks for sharing :)
2 weeks ago
Fair anough, but those still make it so your deck will be stronger by comparison late game. Sometimes if the blue player left open 2 lands to counterspell, paying a green and tapping Staff of Nin can make it so you are free to cast spells without worry. Plus the extra card every turn is great
2 weeks ago
This deck lacks focus. It looks a bit like an Avacyn-wipe/Angel-tribe deck, to which you have added a whole host of cards that imho prevent you from executing a predictable, repeatable, solid game-plan. If this is not what you want, all power to you. However, if this is what you do want, I think you would have to make at least some of the improvements I am about to suggest:
A typical commander deck contains at least 36 lands and between 8-10 mana rock/ramp cards, depending on the color(s) that are being played. Especially when you want to cast big creatures like Angels, this becomes pretty important. Aside from adding some land, I would recommend some artifact mana rocks like Sol Ring (which is the most included card in EDH/Commander of all time), Mind Stone, Worn Powerstone and/or Thran Dynamo. As you are using snow-covered plains, you could also consider adding Extraplanar Lens; that way you can profit from double-mana, while opponents using normal plains cannot. There are also some great ramping creatures for mono-white decks, like Knight of the White Orchid, Oreskos Explorer and if you want to throw some money around, Weathered Wayfarer.
There are a few fantastic creatures available that synergize really well with an Avacyn-wipe/Angel tribe deck. Herald of War has the potential to make casting your Angels, including Avacyn, much cheaper. Sunblast Angel provides you with a one-sided wipe, making it unnecessary for Avacyn to be under your control and still be wiping the place effectively :) Admonition Angel is a great point-remover, and a powerful Angel to boot! Angel of Jubilation is fantastic at restricting the power of many decks; especially those who rely on infinite combo's through sacrifice. Angel of Finality is fantastic if you do not just want to wipe your opponents' stuff, but exile it too. Last but not least, Platinum Angel can be a lot of fun; especially when you have Avacyn on the battlefield to protect her from harm. And since you seem to like cards that grant protection, how about Mother of Runes and Eight-and-a-Half-Tails? I think they are a lot more versatile than the protection cards you have included now.
Some really great wipes/wipe-enablers that do not just target creatures (like the Akroma's Vengeance you already have included), could be Nevinyrral's Disk and Worldslayer. Also, since you are playing mono-white, Mass Calcify could be really useful. If you want to wipe creatures, but Avacyn is not available yet, some great options to protect your own stuff are Rootborn Defenses and Make a Stand.
Last but not least, I would like to propose some all-purpose cards. First of which are Lightning Greaves and Swiftfoot Boots. Avacyn, though indestructible, is not impervious to harm. These will ensure that removing her will prove much more difficult. A great way to slow your opponents down is by letting his/her artifacts and/or creatures enter the battlefield tapped. Authority of the Consuls and Blind Obedience are awesome, cheap ways to make this happen. Also, you could consider adding tax cards to make your opponents pay for attacking you. Ghostly Prison, Sphere of Safety and/or Norn's Annex could fulfill those needs. As white is terrible at allowing you to draw more per turn, I would also suggest maybe adding artifacts like Mask of Memory, Staff of Nin or even Mind's Eye.
Ok, that's it for the additions I would suggest. If you want, I can also dedicate a post on what I would cut in order to make room for the above. Let me know.