Back:Sanctum of the Sun
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Rivals of Ixalan (RIX)||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
, : Draw a card, then exile a card from your hand. If cards with five or more different converted mana costs are exiled with Azor's Gateway, you gain 5 life, untap Azor's Gateway, and transform it.
Azor's Gateway Discussion
1 week ago
Alrighty roo, let's spend 10 minutes fixing your deck
Don't run Reap . It depends on opponents board state to function, meaning it is unreliable.
Add Prismatic Vista for increased deckthinning.
There are a whole host of other legendary cards you can be running that are 3 CMC or less. Replace any combat oriented or random buff artifacts/creature (most of the 2/3/4 CMC legendary artifacts, and also Skyship Weatherlight) with some of the following
- Rishkar, Peema Renegade turns non-summoning sick critters into mana dorks.
- Yisan, the Wanderer Bard reusable tutor on a stick
- Azor's Gateway Flip better than Heart of Kiran because it lets you loot
- Azusa, Lost but Seeking lets you dump extra lands
- Bontu's Monument even though it isn't cost reducing creatures, still playable as a wincon that doesn't require attacking or targeting. Lets you pull the Rhonas monument combo and all the extra dead cards that go along with it (Craterhoof, Crossroads,
- Bow of Nylea swiss army bow, stops you from decking yourself by untapping with Paradox Engine while Reiki is in play on an empty deck.
- Growing Rites of Itlimoc Flip cradle 2.0, but triggers draw off Reiki on entering
- Hua Tuo, Honored Physician another way to stop you from decking out with Reiki in play, general value
- Melira, Sylvok Outcast legendary bear for drawing with combo busting effect, better than
You should really up creature tutor density, and add some value targets. Eldritch Evolution Chord of Calling Finale of Devastation Natural Order Time of Need Woodland Bellower Summoner's Pact Uncage the Menagerie Weird Harvest
Burgeoning Mirri's Guile Earthcraft and Oath of Nissa have far less value here than you think. I would cut them all, except possibly Earthcraft due to how well it works with Paradox engine. You should add Squirrel Nest as an alternate wincon if you keep it.
Why are you running Strip Mine ? You run no other stax pieces and no land recursion.
3 weeks ago
Thada Adel, Acquisitor is also a lot of fun. Strangely she draws more hate than the Sen Triplets after everybody has lost the Sol Ring out of their decks and people get tired of reshuffling.
1 month ago
Hi Decrepit_Angel, I just wanted to say that I've really enjoyed the amount of work you've put into making this deck and I've had a ton of fun with it for the past year now. I wanted to type out some observations and ask you some questions if you're still around to read them lol:
1: The three cards I've found to be underperforming the most are Krark-Clan Ironworks , Candelabra of Tawnos , and Helm of Awakening (in order of decreasing effectiveness). I wanted to know about your thoughts and experiences regarding them.
Krark-Clan Ironworks I've basically never had a use for aside from some niche infinite combos, I never found a situation where it would be advantageous to sacrifice some artifacts to cast Kozilek nor was I ever tutoring for it. I wouldn't cut it yet, but I'm not terribly enthusiastic about it.
Candelabra of Tawnos was 99% of the time a dead card, never used it in infinite combos nor did I really ramp with it. There was never a situation where I only had one land untapped while wanting access to multiple utility lands at once. The best use I found for candelabra was in tandem with Winter Orb , but there are so many other ways to sidestep Winter Orb's drawback that it's not terribly important to me. The card has been dead in such a majority of cases that I've cut it in a few iterations and never looked back.
I've never found a use for Helm of Awakening, even a niche use. It's always the first card I chuck away with Azor's Gateway Flip, it's always the first card I throw away with Geier Reach Sanitarium , it's never once helped me when I had it in hand. Not useful while comboing with Paradox Engine , and there's never a good turn to play it otherwise because the drawback is antithetical to the stax options this deck employs. It's only a mana closer to Kozilek, and the drawback loses so many games. It never feels like there's a good turn to play it, and the times I played it just to try it, I promptly lost after.
Aside from those three, I've also wondered about Haunted Cloak and Tormod's Crypt . Haunted Cloak is difficult to fit into the curve, considering the initial 3 mana cost and the 1 to equip with after. Combined with the fact that it doesn't even protect the Kozilek, and I haven't found too many uses for it. Tormod's Crypt also feels situational, though I like its place as a graveyard hate. I wonder if it could be replaced by Grafdigger's Cage or some other card, some with more utility or something that replaces itself.
I've also been trying out lands like Zhalfirin Void and Blast Zone , currently shaving a Wastes and Sea Gate Wreckage (the latter I've literally never used its ability once). 4 wastes still feels very good to play with.
2: Are there any new options you might test out? I've been very impressed with Ugin, the Ineffable , all three abilities are relevant and the card provides much needed removal against the horrors of Stony Silence and the likes. I've also been playing with Staff of Nin lately, the card draw engine has been nice and the ping provides a much faster way to close the game with an infinite combo. Without the ping, I've had to resort to more convoluted means to close the game. Not necessarily an objective power level argument, but it saves a lot of headaches at the table.
I appreciate all the work you've put into the deck, and I hope you'll continue working on it in the future!
2 months ago
2 months ago
Hey SwoollyLoxodon! I must say i am very interested in making this deck, but im curious with a couple of the cards in this list. For example, why the Azor's Gateway Flip? Would love to here your thoughts on the deck and some of the inclusions made.
3 months ago
I've got two for you.
The second deck idea is a deck that focuses on transforming cards, mainly by using Moonmist and Waxing Moon to transform cards that would normally have hard transform conditions (like the planeswalker creatures, Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh Flip, etc). The deck must include a way to cheat Azor's Gateway Flip to transform (i.e. using Xenograft / Arcane Adaptation and Mycosynth Lattice / March of the Machines with Moonmist / Waxing Moon ).
3 months ago
Sweet deck, I like the book tie in. lol Boros can be a hard color to play in commander. You got a fair bit of ramp worked into the deck through rocks and enchantments but you might want more. You might benefit from more draw power or maybe card filtering. Might consider Infiltration Lens or Azor's Gateway Flip. The former can be good combat related draw and you already got equipment synergies while the later can filter dead cards early on then flip for tons of mana. Best of luck!
4 months ago
Hey, saw your forum topic asking for help.
Ramp with your budget to consider adding:
- High Tide : with Islands and Frantic Search , Turnabout , Rewind , Unwind , Palinchron
- Extraplanar Lens : works well with snow covered Island and Plains. That turns off bonus mana your opponents get from normal basic lands. If opponents are using snow covered lands then they will get the mana bonus.
- Rings of Brighthearth : combos with Monolith to make infinite colorless mana.
- Chromatic Lantern
- Fellwar Stone
- Mind Stone
- Gilded Lotus
- Wayfarer's Bauble
- Solemn Simulacrum
- Trinket Mage : to tutor for one of Ring, Vault, Mox.
- Land Tax : not land ramp, but helps to have a hand full of lands especially Islands if adding Tide. Can search for snow covered lands they are basic lands.
- Weathered Wayfarer : not land ramp, but can help to make land drops and can tutor for any land.
- Gift of Estates : not land ramp, but can search for duals: Fountain, Stream, Farmland, Tundra.
- Scrying Sheets : with snow covered lands.
- Azor's Gateway Flip: takes some time to flip, but once it does Sanctum of the Sun can create a lot of ramp.
Azor's Gateway occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%