|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Vintage Masters (VMA)||Rare|
|Masters Edition IV (ME4)||Rare|
|Masters Edition III (ME3)||Rare|
|Revised Edition (3ED)||Rare|
|Revised Foreign Black Border (3EDFBB)||Rare|
|Unlimited Edition (2ED)||Rare|
|Collector's Edition (CED)||Rare|
|International Collector's Edition (CEI)||Rare|
|Limited Edition Beta (LEB)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Land — Island Mountain
(: Add or to your mana pool.)
|Have (2)||, Zyrook|
|Want (12)||clearbrick , KillDatBUG , Hellsing , vortex0360 , fly900 , nwsism , ItsJustGreg , AgelessMelek , firemind12 , SUPSYNEPIS , emobob , paragon22|
Volcanic Island Discussion
3 days ago
First playtests led to many changes:
- Flux Channeler out for → Phyrexian Revoker : Does not enough for the deck's strategy. Replaced by something new to test. Pithing Needle is already strong.
- Pyroblast out for → Chaos Warp : Pyroblast is a strong card, as you will most of the time encounter at least one blue player in a game pod. At worst, you may discard it to loot effects. But the Oathbreaker format allows only 60 cards and therefore available spots for suboptimal cards are scarce. Plus I don't play enough loot effects in the new version of the deck. Replaced by another removal.
- Faithless Looting out for → Retrofitter Foundry : Replaced by something new to test with cmc-1.
Manabase and ramp changes:
- Buried Ruin out for → Academy Ruins : Upgrade.
- Mishra's Workshop out for → Volcanic Island : Not enough artifacts to make Mishra shine.
- Chief Engineer out for → Curse of Opulence : Not enough artifacts to make good use of the Engineer. Replaced by another ramp option being tested.
- Mox Diamond out for → Fellwar Stone : Not enough lands and/or land recursion. This mox is very good for fast play and competitive decks. This is not the strategy here.
- Storm the Vault Flip out for → Tangle Wire : Not enough artifacts and manacost too high for what it does. Replaced by something more staxy. Tangle Wire is a salty card, but I like to consider this card more-or-less for ramp. See section above for explanations.
5 days ago
6 days ago
Daedalus19876: Thank you for putting this together.
I see you are also in favor of cutting Izzet Charm and Stifle . I pretty much agree on that, and will probably doing that myself shortly. I haven't used Stifle in the past 15 games I draw it and it sits pretty dead.
I'm surprised you cut Counterspell for something like Delay , do you find it to be too color intensive? I rank Counterspell above it in terms of things I'd personally include, especially since we have a lot of access to blue mana in this deck, and it's only a two color deck.
Another card I would put over Red Elemental Blast maybe is Gamble , though it's meta dependent if you're running into a lot of blue players. I think we have just enough interaction to deal with them though, so we don't need both Pyroblast and Red Elemental Blast . Gamble is a decent tutor that usually gets us what we want.
I'm probably going to be adding Blood Moon to the deck. A few times when someone else has played it, it hasn't really disrupted me, and it absolutely destroys more complex mana bases. I've cut the number of mountains I run to 3 (as we have 3 fetches that can only get mountains), and I run 8 islands to ensure I don't get hosed by it myself. I am just figuring out what to cut for it.
And yeah, I'm working on getting a Volcanic Island ...eventually. I've paused my spending on MtG at the moment haha.
6 days ago
zrob: If it were me, this is roughly where I'd try going from your list. This also might be where I go with my list if I ever decide to rebuild it (or update it).
Still missing Volcanic Island , which neither of us seems to own, lol.
1 month ago
regarding the manabase, you just gotta make whatever you can with what you've got. if i could afford to just drop $100 on Scalding Tarn it would obviously be a great addition, same for Volcanic Island or any number of other lands. so far i haven't had any issues with it the way it is, but i'm not making a 100% competitive list or anything here so it is what it is.
as for Shivan Reef specifically, i did have it at one point, but since i'm in a 50%+ black deck i cut it in favor of shifting to more UB and RB lands since that's the color i need most.
I agree, i'm not a fan of the steal everything type of lists people often make with marchesa, but Thief of Sanity has been pretty good so far and Cytoplast Manipulator does a lot of work because you can either steal someone else's creature or graft counters to your own guys. not to mention +1/+1 counters are pretty common in EDH so you might not even have to use graft for other people's creatures. food for thought i guess.
re: Opal Palace etc.. with a deck that is as highly commander focused as this it's pretty important to ensure that she stays on the board. often it's better to play something on T4 that can attack / be sacrificed as soon as she comes out on T5 (with safety) rather than her on t4, and hoping to have had something good on T3. I think Hall of the Bandit Lord fills the same role, but i haven't played with one ever so i couldn't say how well it works.
I've been watching WAR spoilers, so far nothing has definitively struck me as being a sure thing here, but we'll see how it goes.
1 month ago
Patryn: If there were no budget restrictions, I'd run Mishra's Workshop , Volcanic Island , Timetwister , and the 3 enemy fetches. Can't think of anything else huge I'm missing off the top of my head, though I'd probably at least TEST Metalworker .
2 months ago
main things im looking for
Timetwister , hp preferred
Lion's Eye Diamond , played preferred
Imperial Seal , judge promo preferred
i'll also look at binders
2 months ago
Volcanic Island occurrence in decks from the last year
All decks: 1.3%
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.04%
U/B/R (Grixis): 0.56%