|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
Sage of Fables
Creature — Merfolk Wizard
Each other Wizard creature you control enters the battlefield with an additional +1/+1 counter on it.
, Remove a +1/+1 counter from a creature you control: Draw a card.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (8)||xpsychovampx , yungxak , angesoir , Shiromakuro , electrolynx , , CAPTAINxCOOKIES , Ashy|
|Want (26)||Vukodlak , SideshowBlob , coadster , GrandeKhan , Ironraven , Rathe , Cherzthor , Loading_Error , blaze333 , Kayrus , RisenSlash , zephyrmoth , Mahtimatonen , TerminalGeek , Spellsword407 , Archmage_Aramil , Rattatard , Slythe , aenaarion , ASCLEPIUS , matt.angelle , RHF , Maedis , GarethGrey , Abzkaban , GoldGhost012|
Sage of Fables Discussion
6 days ago
1 week ago
Your deck is gonna be stagnant if Marchesa isn't protected so I'd suggest Lightning Greaves to protect her. I'd also suggest Grim Haruspex, Disciple of Bolas and Sage of Fables for some reliable card draw. Your deck also seems to want to be aggressive so cards like Exava, Rakdos Blood Witch and Anger to have more cards that grant haste to capitalize on an open opponent. Also dealing with combat you can have some extra evasion with stuff like Profaner of the Dead and Pyreheart Wolf. If you want to delve more into the realm of taking other people's creatures then Molten Primordial would be great. Last but not least Marchesa, the Black Rose and Mikaeus, the Unhallowed puts anything that dies into a recursion loop, so another way to abuse that is having a creature infinitely die while Deathbringer Thoctar or Stalking Vengeance is out to throw infinite damage at everyone for a W!!! That's all I got, Happy Brewing!!!
2 weeks ago
I would say your weakest cards currently are:
Master of the Waves - For being a 4 drop, it is one of the weaker ones that doesn't promote your game plan or give synergy.
River Sneak - Beasically a vanilla creature, would replace with a one drop cmc creature.
Sage of Fables - Just a bit too slow, aand not much synergy aside from the +1/+1 Counter card draw which is a tad too slow.
Shapers of Nature - Same as Fables, but even slower. I would cut this card first over Sage of Fables.
Vorel of the Hull Clade - Doesn't fit with synergy, and costs every time. If it targeted every single one of your creatures than yes, but since it's a single target...no.
Another suggestion will also be for the type of ramp spells. Going on curve I rather use the two drops like Nature's Lore, Farseek, Rampant Growth. But I do like Kodama's Reach and Cultivate. Jace, Ingenious Mind-Mage is also a bit too slow, if you have the chance or budget I would recommend Rhystic Study.
Hope that helps!
2 months ago
Yeah, honestly, I’m kind of seeing the same thing as the above comment. I mean it’s a cool deck, and I like it, but I don’t think it’s actuallly a wizard deck that much. I was excepting like Sage of Fables, Wizard's Retort and the like. Other than that, it’s a nice deck, though.
3 months ago
thejeffreyman, control as a main strategy with Inalla as Commander is much very different than what this deck is doing. That being said you have the right idea with Docent of Perfection Flip. But to play this card and use it with control you want to play lots of low mana cost instants and sorceries especially dig/draw. Dig/Draw for two main reasons you have to first actually find/draw Docent. Then when you have Docent in play to use your mana more efficiently to make Wizard tokens while digging/drawing at the same time to find more instants/sorceries.
You'll want much more instants/sorceries than creatures. In a sense this conflicts with using Inalla as a Commander because her eminence is the most powerful ability and it requires creatures. Using Inalla mainly as a combo piece is fine because she's a combo piece in the Command Zone, you don't have to tutor/find her or worry about drawing her. I now see why you want to play Sundial of the Infinite because the more Wizard tokens you have the better Final Iteration is.
Cards that could be good with a control version of Inalla with a focus on Wizard tokens, which aren't played here. I don't know what your budget is so I'll suggest nonbudget cards as well as budget ones (in no order):
- Patron Wizard
- Voidmage Prodigy
- Glen Elendra Archmage
- Baral, Chief of Compliance
- Sage of Fables
- Serum Visions
- Telling Time
- Diabolic Intent (now budget thanks to Battlebond)
Clones seem good with Docent. Being able to clone it and then make even more tokens when you cast an instant or sorcery. Clones of Iteration also add more pump to Wizards giving Wizards +4 power with flying with two Interation is a lot. Cloning Docent however will not let you flip the clone of Docent into Iteration because Clones are not double sided cards. The only way to get a clone of Iteration is to actually clone Iteration after Docent flips into it. Clones are also very good with eminence because you don't have to choose to clone your own creature with the eminence copy token you can choose to clone an opponent's creature if you want.
Clones to consider that aren't played here:
4 months ago
4 months ago
Hello some possible changes to reduce the manacost some creatures that trigger Ezuri: Quickling instead of Rescue +Bramblewood Paragon Sage of Fables Abzan Beastmasterinstead of Tuskguard Captain enchantment:+Awakening Zone-From Beyond and more ramp maybe: Cultivate orFertilid(triggers Ezuri) I see that you use Kaseto, Orochi Archmage maybe you can trySnake Basket for snake tokens, another advise, reduce the cost of your counterspells:add Stubborn Denial Swan Song etc in general try to avoid creatures that surpass the 5 manacost :D
4 months ago
Biggest issue I see here is a lack of focus and not enough creatures for a creatures only matter deck.
Animar, Soul of Elements wants two main things: Cast creatures and get +1/+1 counters to cast larger creatures. Everything in the deck should be focused on those two goals.
Setting up the deck to achieve this purpose will make it efficient and powerful. All cards should therefore do one of the following:
- Ramp up to Animar.
- Protect Animar.
- Place counters on Animar.
- Cast game ending creatures for cheap or free.
- Draw cards to allow us to do 1 through 4.
Priority should be given to cards that does something now > does something before your next turn > does something on your next turn > does something eventually.
Because Animar offers a discount based on creatures played, the deck shouldn't be filled with only high cmc game enders, but creatures from low to high cmc, preferably with as little colored mana symbols as possible, to give the deck a natural progression to casting free or cheap high cmc game ending creatures.
Let's split the deck into 3 parts. Pre-Animar setup, Post-Animar setup, Finale.
Note that $: (0 to 0.99), $$: (1.00 to 4.99), $$$: (5.00 to 9.99), $$$$: (10.00 to 19.99), !$!: (20.00+)
Unnecessary on a computer, very helpful on a phone.
- Exotic Orchard is pretty good and cheap and can usually offer every color in multiplayer, especially if an opponent has a Command Tower out or even a Vivid Grove without even needing charge counters. - Kazoo lands such as Simic Growth Chamber, Izzet Boilerworks, and Gruul Turf are good in casual EDH where there is lack of land destruction and they artifically increase your deck ammount by posing as two lands in one. Though overall you do not want too many tap lands as you'll constantly be a entire turn behind.
- Zhur-Taa Druid creature ramp & burn. $
- Bloom Tender creature ramp. !$!
- Coiling Oracle ramp or card draw. $
- Cyclonic Rift removal or 1-sided board wipe. $$$$
- Explore ramp and card Draw. $
- Sakura-Tribe Elder creature ramp and color fix. $$
- Sylvan Caryatid creature ramp and color fix. $$
- Beastcaller Savant creature ramp and color fix. $$
- Kiora's Follower creature ramp or vigilance on a stick. $
- Rattleclaw Mystic creature ramp and color fix. $
- Walking Atlas potentially free creature ramp. $
- Simic Charm so versatile. $
- Lightning Greaves Protection and quick haste for a large creature. $$
- Spellskite For those , & removals. $$$
- Ring of Kalonia Ramp every turn and makes Animar a lot more threatening. $
- Sage of Fables Emergency card draw. $$
- Pestermite Vigilance, chump blocker vs flying or stopping a giant creature. $
- Guided Passage One of the best card draw and pick your poison spells ever. $$
- Pir, Imaginative Rascal A creature hardened scales and specific tutor. $$
- Cloudstone Curio An auto include if you can afford it. $$$$
- Temur Ascendancy Makes all your casted creatures threatening and some card draw. $
- Phyrexian Metamorph Costs 2 life and can do so much for you. $$$
- Solemn Simulacrum Free ramp, chump blocker and card draw. $$
- Faerie Artisans It doesn't look like much, this is card can get crazy. $$
- Toothy, Imaginary Friend A growing monstrocity that explodes into cards. $$
- Silent Arbiter Protection against swarm decks. $$
- Xenagos, God of Revels Game ender. $$
- Vesuvan Shapeshifter On your upkeep, you may pay to clone the biggest and baddest mofo on the field. $
- Deepglow Skate Potential huge ramp for just . $$$
- Progenitor Mimic Very dangerous to copy one of the heavy hitters in this deck. $$
- Consecrated Sphinx All the card draw. $$$
- Deadwood Treefolk Repeatable creature recusion. $
- Steel Hellkite Situational, but very deadily against token decks. $
- Great Oak Guardian Great, quick surprise block when tapped out. $
- Pathbreaker Ibex Quick, game ender. $$
- Thunderfoot Baloth Setup for getting past defenses. $$
- Scourge of the Throne Depending on the situation, can be deadly. !$!