|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Masterpiece Series: Amonkhet Invocations (AKHMPS)||Common|
|Eternal Masters (EMA)||Mythic Rare|
|Vintage Masters (VMA)||Uncommon|
|Masters Edition (MED)||Common|
|Promo Set (000)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Force of Will
You may pay 1 life and exile a blue card from your hand from the game rather than pay Force of Will's mana cost.
Counter target spell.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (19)||jstn.mrrtt , Potatonator , Shiromakuro , CampbellStev , admizell , mziter501 , Azdranax , lorddarkstar , Benniator , TheRealPeaches , dplerner , CrazyLittleGuy , Bluboltar , TehDelta , rockleemyhero , Justinaut , LTmiller , mcstang1986 , Harashiohorn|
|Want (26)||Noles55 , jamesesdad , gamerhat , jtaddeo , SpottedGee , Mousemke , Spinalripper , ryuzaki32667 , CampbellStev , No1HanSolo , Azdranax , firemind12 , Tyqar , rockleemyhero , aeonstoremyliver , chaosumbreon87 , Oloro_Magic , , Turtlelover73 , Chandelier , Hootiequack , xpsychovampx , Enivid , KevinLS , BetaTest , Grantley91|
Force of Will Discussion
4 hours ago
So, what now you need is Mental Misstep and Gush... and a set of Force of Will and a few of those nice P9 cards (each of which has the value of a decent modern deck). And THEN you can get all that sphinx-based cardadvantage.
Shame about the diving top - it's just not funny at all. But if you play edh, you can always use at least one of them (it's still a good card).
Anyway, I think you should just focus on blue high-quality midrange creatures, with a bit of top-of-library shenanigans. In Modern. Where you don't need P9.
1 day ago
New Vintage playable and possibly needs to be restricted from the get go:
I wish this was in Modern:
Creature - Vampire Shade
Whenever you tap a Swamp for mana, add to your mana pool (in addition to the mana the land produces).
: Nirkana Revenant hets +1/+1 until end of turn.
Also another reprint:
6 days ago
In doing so thought I'd mention a few things, see if anything is helpful, probably not,
Fabricate can pull the Isochron Scepter for your Isochron Scepter + Dramatic Reversal (or the Mana Crypt/Sol Ring that is needed to enable the combo?). I know you have Muddle the Mixture to tutor these, but you could Muddle the Mixture the Dramatic Reversal and Fabricate the Isochron Scepter as an additional tool. Worst case you Fabricate a Mana Crypt for net mana.
Personal Tutor can pull a Fabricate to top of deck, or if you have Temporal Mastery it can pull that to the top to Miracle for (Personal Tutor) + Temporal Mastery miracle to get the extra turn. You don't actually miss a draw, because you still draw on the extra turn you wouldn't have had anyway (technically). Also I find even if Temporal Mastery is in my hand, Brainstorm can make it favorable, or just wheel it away (not super effective), but you may even cast it for CMC7 in odd cases. Think Twice can Miracle it on opponents turns too, that would be fun.
You could run Show and Tell + Omniscience + Enter the Infinite, I think Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind would trigger? (but not sure), but your already tutoring enchantments which is very difficult. I know it sucks (no card advantage), but Gamble is a way to tutor a Curiosity and go for the win early. I think Gamble is a necessary evil here due to the difficulty of tutoring enchantments. You could also run Laboratory Maniac to win, even when you Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind + Curiosity maybe you need it to overcome a Trostani, Selesnya's Voice that's gained 60 life or something, just as an alternative to the draw/damage, once your out of cards in your library, no more way to output damage. Beacon of Tomorrows can also save you here too.
Faithless Looting can help with the cycling of the cards too for . Trinket Mage could tutor a Mana Crypt or Sol Ring for or you could add Great Furnace / Seat of the Synod and tutor a land, since Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind is CMC6, ramping spells never hurt.
Lightning Greaves can Haste enable him so he doesn't have to survive, although you have the Counterspell if you don't have a Pact of Negation or a Force of Will handy can protect him, especially in a 4-player pod where you can't Gitaxian Probe everyone. With so few creatures, I get why it's out.
I use Turnabout + Nivix Guildmage to Infinite mana, they can also be used with Frantic Search + Izzet Boilerworks + Nivix Guildmage to Tutor Curiosity or Ophidian Eye or Mind Over Matter. I really over-utilize Nivix Guildmage so probably not right here, but thought I'd mention as it is a tutor to your combos.
Scalding Tarn and Cascade Bluffs would be good land upgrades, you have other fetches so probably didn't need to say this, but Ash Barrens also good because if you need a color it can landcycle and filter out a land, if you dont need it, it comes in untapped and doesn't slow progression down at all.
Anyways, like I mentioned, not a Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind player, but I know how Tutoring really flattens out the consistency on a combo deck, especially one where you have no direct tutors (Gamble) to get the Enchantments to your hand, so some Janky ones might be of interest.
PS: some evaluations,
Magmatic Insight feels wrong, I like the draw, but sacrificing a land with a CMC6 commander still feels wrong? Plus if you draw it later in the game, it could be a dead draw until you draw a land.
Thought Scour is a pod-specific card? I don,t see much graveyard recursion here, so I assume your pod is top-deck tutoring that you need a response too? Or maybe just looking for as many Cantips as possible? Maybe Whispers of the Muse if you have the infinite mana going, gives you the infinite draw too.
Flusterstorm feels like a dead draw sometimes, especially against . If it's in your opening draw, it probably great, outside of that it's going to be less effective (but not always).
1 week ago
great direction. I think you'd have a lot of fun with it. However you're in blue, and you don't have any (that I saw) Counterspells. I really think you're overlooking some great protection there. Pact of Negation, Syncopate, Force of Will (I know it can be expensive), but a cheap alternative that can be just as good is Foil. very underrated counterspell. also Disallow has t be one of my personal favorites.
In all, I'd trim down the creature list a tad, and throw in some instant spells that can help you against the decks you'll be playing against. Instants that will let you do things either as their turn is ending before yours, or in response to things they do. It'll help you out dramatically but also make you a much more fierce opponent.
1 week ago
By any means, Wizard's Retort should be strictly better than Disdainful Stroke in your deck. When it comes to your maybeboard Cursecatcher, Spell Pierce and Syncopate don't seem like they deserve inclusion as the "paywall" they give your opponent isn't really relevant in a commander game where everyone has an abundance of mana; the only "paywall" counter that might be worth it could be Censor as it serves the early game utility purpose, but can cycle when it becomes irrelevant in the late. Aside from that Delay seems kinda bad and Muddle the Mixture might not be worth it, unless you're looking for something specific. I would imagine there isn't much of a difference between Unwind and Negate in your deck, so the former might just serve a better purpose. I reckon you can rethink Desertion as it is basically a Mind Control that is devastatingly situational for the same cost; if you already want to get rid of the MC, you might as well give the boot to this thing. That would open some really good space for Force of Will. I also think it's pretty easy to replace Confirm Suspicions with Pact of Negation. If you're looking to play Mana Drain, I also suggest Spell Swindle for the flexibility. I think the weakest remaining link in your counters base should be Dissolve, after that you can side out an exile counter if you're looking for space, starting from Faerie Trickery.
Lemme know if you want more suggestions, cause I've already written a wall of text, and I don't wanna flood your comment section :DD
1 week ago
Your manabase is truly awful.
- You have too many lands that ETB tapped.
- You manabase color consistency is spotty at best.
- You have too many utility lands that don't provide colored mana (this is likely the root cause for #2).
- You are missing some key artifact ramp/color fixing.
- You are running some very questionable choices: Examples: Crypt of Agadeem you only have 7 black creatures total (not counting commander) Save this for a mono-black deck & Glacial Chasm my guess is you are using this to hold off attacks until you can combo off. The issue is this card combos best with Solemnity, but you can't run white.
- 1,2,3: Drop a bunch of the ETB lands and utility lands bring in Fetchlands and Duals (OG Duals, Shocklands (Ravnica blocks), Tango Lands(Battle for Zendikar) and Bi-cycle lands (Amonkett)). Choose what works for your budget.
- 4. Add Chromatic Lantern it will help with color fixing, stops Blood Moon attacks and makes non-mana producing lands into mana producing lands. I would also suggest Mana Vault and Voltaic Key. These will help you mana ramp and keep pace with Ramp decks which have access to green mana. Also missing is Crucible of Worlds. It help you recover from mass land destruction and ensure you hit your land drops if you are running fetchlands. Other artifacts to consider are: Mox Opal, Chrome Mox, Grim Monolith, Rakdos Signet, Dimir Signet, Izzet Signet, Lion's Eye Diamond Again, choose what works for your budget.
- 5. Remove your questionable choices and run Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth and Cabal Coffers instead. Urborg will make all your lands swamps, which will solve any black mana issues and make all non-mana lands into mana producing lands. And it combos amazingly with Cabal Coffers. It is way better than the Crypt of Agadeem. I also suggest running Maze of Ith instead of Mystifying Maze. Maze of Ith doesn't cost mana to activate and will deter attacks or at least nullify their best non-shroud, non-hexproof creature. Mystifying Maze will just encourage certain attacks since it can trigger ETB effects for your opponents. Which can be more valuable then shrinking your life total.
Other Issues and Potential Fixes:
- Graveyard Hate/Enchantment Removal. You added Pithing Needle to deal with certain artifacts but have ignored enchantment based graveyard hate. And I don't see any real enchantment removal. The only card that could hit an enchantment seems to be Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker. Leyline of the Void, Rest in Peace, and Ashes of the Abhorrent just straight up ruin your day. Grixis is weak to this permanent type, but blue has your best answers. I would add Cyclonic Rift which is the best 1 sided boardwipe in EDH and will help you recover from an oppressive board state or seal your position as the Victor. I would also suggest adding Venser, Shaper Savant. He can delay a spell from hitting the table or bounce back a troublesome permanent. He combos well with Riptide Laboratory.
- Troublesome Lands. I don't see any way for you to deal with lands that could ruin your day. Opponents running huge mana lands like Gaea's Cradle, Serra's Sanctum or Cabal Coffers or other trouble some lands like Scavenger Grounds. You have nothing for targeted removal of these threats Look to Strip Mine or Wasteland or similar lands.
- Missing Combo Pieces. Teferi's Veil combos with Sedris, just be mindful of the leaves battlefield clause from Sedris as they are still the same permanent still when they phase back in. And both Sneak Attack and Whip of Erebos combo with it and have high synergy with your deck. (same leaves battlefield clause applies to the whipped creatures) Also think about running Embalmer's Tools
- Quality Creatures. A lot of your creatures don't make sense or are just low on value. I would look back towards your original thought about ETB based creatures for the majority of your creatures to abuse. Combustible GearhulkNoxious Gearhulk,Molten Primordial,Sepulchral Primordial,Trinket Mage,Trophy Mage,Sidisi, Undead Vizier,Zealous Conscripts,Massacre Wurm,Sphinx of Uthuun. And then a few other key enabler creatures like: Deadeye Navigator which helps remove the leaves clause from creatures you cheated back from the graveyard and River Kelpie which will help you draw
- Better Tutors. You should be running better tutors in general and better tutors for your graveyard. Like: Entomb,Buried Alive,Demonic Tutor, Vampiric Tutor, Final Parting, Dark Petition, Merchant Scroll, Mystical Tutor, Fabricate, Personal Tutor
- Better Looting/Rummaging. Like: Faithless Looting,Frantic Search,Dack Fayden,Windfall,Ancient Excavation,Cathartic Reunion, Careful Study
- Better Counterspells. Like: Mana Drain,Force of Will,Disallow,Forbid
- Cantrips. Getting to your best cards is key to being able to play your game. Brainstorm, Ponder,Preordain,Thought Scour
- Recursion. Some options open to you are: Snapcaster Mage, Yawgmoth's Will, Time Spiral, Past in Flames, Mizzix's Mastery,Magus of the Will, Crucible of Worlds
1 week ago
Hello there! I have some cards that I'm looking to swap for different versions of the same card. List is as follows:
- My MBS Green Sun's Zenith for your EMA Green Sun's Zenith
- My AVR Avacyn, Angel of Hope for your IMA Avacyn, Angel of Hope
- My M11 Grave Titan for your C14 Grave Titan
- My ZEN Arid Mesa for your MM3 Arid Mesa
- Guess it's worth a try: my ALL Force of Will for your EMA Force of Will (willing to add $10 of value on my end for this one).
Thanks in advance!
1 week ago
Except the point you raised was not the comparative viability in Modern, but rather why By Force cost less than Shattering Spree. Providing an answer on the issue of relative cost requires looking to other formats--formats where Force of Will is highly relevant.
Regarding their viability in Modern, I'd probably lean toward By Force as well--but that's not the issue you raised.