|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Ultimate Masters (UMA)||Uncommon|
|Modern Masters 2017 Edition (MM3)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Return target creature card from your graveyard to the battlefield.
Flashback (You may cast this card from your graveyard for its flashback cost. Then exile it.)
Unburial Rites Discussion
2 weeks ago
I would play more cards that interact with the draw and discard abiliy of your commander such as Army of the Damned , Deep Analysis , Divine Reckoning , Dread Return , Increasing Ambition , Unburial Rites , Dralnu, Lich Lord and Big Game Hunter .
2 weeks ago
Potential Adds: Artisan of Kozilek , Sheoldred, Whispering One , Ever After , Cauldron Dance , Unburial Rites , Infernal Offering , Fearsome Awakening , Dawn of the Dead , Whip of Erebos , Apprentice Necromancer , Life / Death , Sidisi, Brood Tyrant , Liliana Vess , Tasigur, the Golden Fang , Tormenting Voice , Karador, Ghost Chieftain , The Mimeoplasm , Liliana, Heretical Healer Flip, Sedris, the Traitor King , Taigam, Sidisi's Hand , Underrealm Lich , Victimize , Sylvan Safekeeper , Realms Uncharted , Reanimate ,
Definitely put in this: Solemn Simulacrum
3 weeks ago
Suggestions for "additions" (I'm not sure what you want to take out)
Also here is my list if you want some additional inspiration: https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/shadowborn-apostles-demons-will-rise/
The list is outdated, casual, and just a rough remake of a list I had previously that I lost, but there might be something you've missed in there.
- Aven Shrine - Provides ridiculous lifegains even with just a small number of apostles in the yard.
- Xathrid Necromancer - (Rotlung Reanimator v. 2) - Tokens enters tapped, which is an issue, but it triggers off humans which hits slightly more targets than cleric. More of an aggressive inclusion rather than combo defensive tool.
- Angel of Glory's Rise - gets back all your Clerics for another run.
- Rally the Ancestors - You have Immortal Servitude , this is its buddy.
- Doom Whisperer - Razaketh, the Foulblooded does what this does better under normal circumstances. Haven't playtested this one but the general idea is to Surveil as many Clerics into the graveyard as possible until you hit a mass-resurrection-spell. Combines really well with aforementioned Aven Shrine by possibly finding and fueling the Shrine's condition, leading to mass lifegains, leading to more Surveil.
- No Rest for the Wicked - Haven't playtested this one either and possibly more a jank inclusion. The idea is to make sure you can get your Clerics back into hand if Athreos is not available or people are willing to pay. It's better to just have the mass resurrection spells before this.
I would probably pull out:
- Krav, the Unredeemed - He seems lackluster in the setup and you don't seem to create an abundance of tokens to really abuse his ability.
- Harvester of Souls - Would likely swap him out for a Grim Haruspex . While the Harvester triggers off of your opponent's creatures dying, you would need a Grave Pact effect in play to actually take advantage of that. The main portion of cards you get from this is from your own creatures. And I figure if you are able to search for a demon, the Harvester is not the prime target. At least when I've played he has been under performing. The Haruspex is easier to cast and is returned with both Rally the Ancestors and Angel of Glory's Rise . You can even find her with Recruiter of the Guard in case you've already found your Edgewalker .
- Unburial Rites - Just seems lackluster to me but that's also because my playgroup run a lot of exile, especially on big targets in colors that usually gets them back. In general I find Phyrexian Reclamation to be a better inclusion because I can secure I get my Clerics back which is the overall gameplan.
Anyway just my 2 cents. Hope you can use it in some capacity :)
3 weeks ago
Took a look over your deck, I like what your doing! However just as what hecubus333 mentioned, the CMC curve on the deck seems on the higher side. On a personal take, this was what my Teneb deck looked similar to before I tuned it for more of a competitive meta.
I also agree on your perspective on using unorthodox commanders for fun and tuning them competitively or as far as you can push them! For my thoughts on the matter, feel free to take it with a grain of salt!
These are good if you have multiple ways of abusing them or cheating them out but Ashen Rider and Angel of Despair cost way too much for these effects, I would consider only adding in one of these effects. Butcher of Malakir is another card that has way too high of a CMC when you are already running both Grave Pact and Dictate of Erebos , it should be considered being cut. Wurmcoil Engine while being fun, is a win more card and also can be swapped for something that gives you advantage. While I love redundancy effects, Falkenrath Noble is also too high for the effects that are similar to the Blood Artist as well as Zulaport Cutthroat . Burnished Hart while a fan favorite just only ramps you when going competitive you have access to faster mana rocks which does it much better. For the last thought I have on creatures like what hecubus333 as for 6 CMC is does not much and there are alternative ways to get better card draw.
In your artifact section, I am not a fan of 3 CMC rocks unless they provide an extra ability like say for example, Chromatic Lantern or Commander's Sphere . The former provides color fixing and the latter card draw that doesn't require you to tap to activate. With that being said, I would take out the Orzhov Cluestone , Darksteel Ingot , as well as Strionic Resonator . In replacement mana rocks like Mana Vault , Mana Crypt , Chrome Mox , Mox Diamond , Grim Monolith can be used. Or if going for more on the budget friendly route, Thought Vessel , Everflowing Chalice , Sensei's Divining Top , and Scroll Rack are other cards to consider.
Unburial Rites as well as Victimize are decent but Necromancy and Dance of the Dead provide cheaper cost as well as more efficiency, in addition they can target your opponents creatures in their grave as well. Sorin, Grim Nemesis is good in a casual format, but as said before 6 CMC for card draw is really rough. Albeit I do like that on the resolution you do get CA right away so that's a plus.
Now for cards I would consider adding, here is a list you can consider:
- Tymna the Weaver
- Dark Confidant / Mindblade Render
- Viscera Seer / Carrion Feeder
- Toxic Deluge
- Vampiric Tutor
- Demonic Tutor
- Diabolic Intent
- Enlightened Tutor
- Dark Ritual
- Culling the Weak
- Leonin Relic-Warder
- Smothering Tithe
Those are just some off the top of my head I can think of. For Orzhov colors you want to try obtain as much Card Advantage (CA) as possible as that is what we are weak on as well as mana acceleration.
Hope that gives you some insight! Feel free to ask for any advice, help, or perspective! Down to help tuning decks!
4 weeks ago
Unburial Rites can't be in the 99 because the flashback cost is white. Also you only have 90 cards total. For cards that you should put it I would defiantly say Worm Harvest Splendid Reclamation Rampaging Baloths and Ob Nixilis, the Fallen . Also in not sure why you're running so much re-animator cards without any pay offs?
4 weeks ago
@ triproberts12 Thanks for the detailed reply!
I did not know that your commander had to go to the yard to count as dying, which definitely changes things a little. Skeletal Scrying , Cremate , Purify the Grave , Bloodline Necromancer , Unburial Rites , Faith's Reward , Hell's Caretaker , Second Sunrise all seem like very nice options for getting around that.
Dimir House Guard seems really good, especially since it doubles as a tutor for Phyrexian Altar . Pawn of Ulamog also seems like a very strong combo of token gen and ramp. In future I may go more heavily down the sacrifice route, but at the moment I still want to keep the Malakir Bloodwitch / Bishop of the Bloodstained ETB wincon, it feels a little more unique than the usual Blood Artist + Phyrexian Altar / Ashnod's Altar + tokens. Picking up a Vanquisher's Banner to buff the tribe a little and get some draw seems nice too.
What cards do you think should just be cut altogether? Providing I'm keeping to the idea of winning by sac, etb, or just having a strong board. Thanks very much for the suggestions you already gave, much appreciated.
1 month ago
Props for not going easy mode with Edgar Markov .
As for suggestions, the best thing I think you could do to improve this deck is to make it more explosive. The way to do that would be to add free sacrifice outlets, along with creatures that provide you multiple bodies.
For sac outlets, Viscera Seer , Indulgent Aristocrat , Bloodthrone Vampire , Bloodflow Connoisseur , Cartel Aristocrat , Blood Bairn , Vish Kal, Blood Arbiter , Vampire Aristocrat , and Yahenni, Undying Partisan are good vampire options. Sadistic Hypnotist , Dimir House Guard , Spawning Pit , Hidden Stockpile , Mind Slash are also good. What's important is that you can go off all at once. You want to sac a bunch of creatures to grow Elenda and sac her the same turn.
The other challenge you'll want to keep in mind is that Elenda, the Dusk Rose must go to your graveyard to get the trigger. That means If you want to recast her, you'll have to reanimate her or exile her from your graveyard. Bojuka Bog , Relic of Progenitus , Angel of Finality , God-Pharaoh's Gift (and Gate to the Afterlife !), Skeletal Scrying , Rescue from the Underworld , Necromancer's Covenant , Cremate , Seance , Planar Void , Goryo's Vengeance , Postmortem Lunge , Purgatory . Despoiler of Souls , Mistmoon Griffin , Purify the Grave , Offalsnout , Coffin Purge , Drudge Spell , Cryptwailing , Treacherous Vampire , and Consecrate / Consume , Angelic Renewal , Karmic Guide , Reveillark (the prior two being an infinite loop combo), Dread Return , Nim Deathmantle (there are combos with it and Ashnod's Altar , which you also want), Palace Siege , Bloodline Necromancer , Profane Command , Unburial Rites , Faith's Reward , Ever After , Ajani, Adversary of Tyrants , Hell's Caretaker . Apprentice Necromancer , Wake the Dead , Second Sunrise , Infernal Offering , Corpse Dance , Zombify , Resurrection , No Rest for the Wicked , and Footsteps of the Goryo , are all good options.
The final piece of the puzzle is making your sacrifices devastating. Dictate of Erebos , Butcher of Malakir , Grave Pact , Black Market , Harvester of Souls , Midnight Reaper , Grim Haruspex , Zulaport Cutthroat , Open the Graves , Blade of the Bloodchief , Ogre Slumlord , Athreos, God of Passage , and Dark Prophecy will help with that.
1 month ago
10/10, would upvote for the name alone. Needs more Unburial Rites .
Unburial Rites occurrence in decks from the last year
All decks: 0.04%
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.02%
W/B (Orzhov): 0.18%
W/U/B (Esper): 0.06%
RBW (Mardu): 0.09%