|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Oath of the Gatewatch (OGW)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Hissing Quagmire enters the battlefield tapped.
: Add or to your mana pool.
: Hissing Quagmire becomes a 2/2 black and green Elemental creature with deathtouch until end of turn. It's still a land.
Hissing Quagmire Discussion
1 month ago
Pretty much. With budget lists its best to pick one thing and commit hard to it, finding as many tier 2+ cards that do that thing as possible.
Make a list of what you want to do turns one-two-three-four and look for cards that let you do that as reliably as possible, with backup options for each turn. With this list it would be (for me) ramp, hand disruption/more ramp, disruption/payoff card.
I favour a grindier playstyle with less threats, so I'd run Hissing Quagmire and chill on the flood plan, but that absolutely isn't for everyone. Dumping a bunch of saprolings on the board then saccing them all wins just as well.
Once you've got that skeleton doing roughly what you want you can start tuning.
1 month ago
- -1 Barren Moor +1 Azorius Signet
- -1 Lonely Sandbar +1 Dimir Signet
- -1 Tranquil Thicket +1 Gruul Signet
- -1 Forgotten Cave +1 Simic Signet
- -1 Secluded Steppe +1 Boros Signet
- -1 Azorius Chancery +1 Coalition Relic
- -1 Boros Garrison +1 Thran Dynamo
- -1 Dimir Aqueduct +1 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
- -1 Golgari Rot Farm +1 Wandering Fumarole
- -1 Gruul Turf +1 Raging Ravine
- -1 Izzet Boilerworks +1 Celestial Colonnade
- -1 Orzhov Basilica +1 Creeping Tar Pit
- -1 Rakdos Carnarium +1 Hissing Quagmire
- -1 Selesnya Sanctuary +1 Pentad Prism
- -1 Simic Growth Chamber +1 Riftwing Cloudskate
- -1 Mantis Rider +1 Duplicant
- -1 Psychatog +1 Thought Erasure
- -1 Drooling Groodion +1 Vraska, Relic Seeker
- -1 Ancestral Mask +1 Inferno Titan
- -1 Twisted Abomination +1 Exhume
- -1 Sengir Vampire +1 Animate Dead
- -1 Ravenous Rats +1 Unburial Rites
- -1 Spirit Mantle +1 Angel of Invention
- -1 Brood Butcher +1 Cloudgoat Ranger
- -1 Elephant Guide +1 Verdurous Gearhulk
- -1 Gladecover Scout +1 Terastodon
1 month ago
Well, looking at it, almost every card has an enormously weaker budget option:
- 4x Walking Ballista / Triskelion
- 4x Arcbound Worker / Sparring Construct
- 4x Arcbound Ravager / Arcbound Slith
- 2x Dark Confidant / Pain Seer
- 4x Hangarback Walker / Hooded Hydra
- 4x Steel Overseer / Chronomaton
- 3x Welding Jar / Herbal Poultice
- 1x Animation Module
- 4x Darksteel Citadel
- 4x Forest
- 4x Inkmoth Nexus / Dread Statuary
- 2x Overgrown Tomb / Foul Orchard
- 1x Pendelhaven / Hashep Oasis
- 1x Phyrexia's Core / Claws of Gix
- 3x Wooded Foothills / Evolving Wilds
The deck would suck enormously, but it would be a deck. Are there any better budget options I missed?
3 months ago
> weird mashup of ramp into semi-big threats with suboptimal control elements.
That's actually a great definition of what Ponza is all about! I usually describe the deck more like "aggressive ramp into bulk rares that you would never expect could be good in Modern, with an overlay of annoying mana-denial Control", but yours will certainly do. The thing is, it works surprisingly well in many metas.
> besides fetchlands, what activated or triggered abilities are you hoping to stop with Repudiate / Replicate
I actually laid that out in the deck description, but in case you missed it here it is again:
- Opponent transforms a Thing in the Ice? Repudiate the triggered ability and our team stays on the field.
- Opponent wants to make us sac' a creature with Lili, put a Terminus on top with Jace, or ultimate whatever random Planeswalker they have? Repudiate the activated ability and we've totally turned the game around.
- Opponent tries to Modular a ton of +1/+1 counters onto their attacking Inkmoth Nexus, wipe our board with an Oblivion Stone, Equip a Batterskull, Crew a Smuggler's Copter, etc, etc, etc? Repudiate gives us answers (or at least options) we never had in 'normal' Ponza.
Here are more details though, looking at the top meta decks in turn ...
- UR Phoenix: Often game-changing vs. trigger of Awoken Horror . Often good vs. triggers of Snapcaster Mage and Arclight Phoenix .
- Dredge: Often game-changing vs. trigger of Bloodghast and Narcomoeba (if opp has multiple Prized Amalgam in the graveyard) or Prized Amalgam (if there's only one). Often good vs. triggers of Creeping Chill and Stinkweed Imp , and activated ability of Shriekhorn .
- Tron: Often game-changing vs. -X of Ugin, the Spirit Dragon or activated ability of Oblivion Stone . Often good vs. triggers of Wurmcoil Engine , Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger , activated ability of Walking Ballista , Expedition Map , and Relic of Progenitus , and -3 of Karn Liberated .
- Humans: Often game-changing vs. trigger of Kitesail Freebooter , Meddling Mage , Phantasmal Image , and Reflector Mage , and activated ability of Aether Vial . Often good vs. triggers of Champion of the Parish , Noble Hierarch , and Thalia's Lieutenant (plus Anafenza, the Foremost , Deputy of Detention , Kambal, Consul of Allocation , and Sin Collector , if they have them).
- UW Control: Often game-changing vs. actived ability of Celestial Colonnade . Often good vs. +1 (since they're tapped out the next turn) and -3 of Teferi, Hero of Dominaria , and 0 of Jace, the Mind Sculptor (if we think they have a Terminus ).
- Burn: Often good vs. trigger of Monastery Swiftspear and Eidolon of the Great Revel , and activated ability of Grim Lavamancer .
- Hardened Affinity: Often game-changing vs. Modular of Arcbound Ravager and trigger of Hangarback Walker , and activated ability of Inkmoth Nexus . Often good vs. triggered ability of Arcbound Worker , and activated ability of Walking Ballista , Steel Overseer , Welding Jar , Animation Module , Throne of Geth , and Blinkmoth Nexus .
- Grixis Shadow: Meh. Perhaps good vs. trigger of Snapcaster Mage or activated ability of Mishra's Bauble .
- Amulet Titan: Often game-changing vs. trigger of Primeval Titan . Often good vs. trigger of Amulet of Vigor , Trinket Mage and Bojuka Bog , and activated ability of Walking Ballista , Engineered Explosives , Gemstone Mine , Ghost Quarter , Slayers' Stronghold , and Sunhome, Fortress of the Legion .
- RG Rock: Often game-changing vs. +1 and -2 of Liliana of the Veil , +1 and -2 of Liliana, the Last Hope . Often good vs. triggered and activated abilities of Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet , triggered abilites of Tireless Tracker , and activated ability of Scavenging Ooze , Hissing Quagmire , and Treetop Village .
- Whir Prison: Meh. Perhaps good vs. trigger of Bottled Cloister and activated ability of Engineered Explosives , Mishra's Bauble , Tormod's Crypt , Welding Jar , and Inventors' Fair .
- Old-school Affinity: Often game-changing vs. Modular of Arcbound Ravager , Equip of Cranial Plating , and activated ability of Inkmoth Nexus . Often good vs. trigger of Signal Pest and activated ability of Welding Jar and Blinkmoth Nexus .
- Ad Nauseum: Meh. Perhaps good vs. activated ability of Simian Spirit Guide .
- Spirits: Often game-changing vs. trigger of Phantasmal Image , Reflector Mage , and Spell Queller , and activated ability of Mausoleum Wanderer and Aether Vial . Often good vs. trigger of Mausoleum Wanderer , Noble Hierarch , Rattlechains , Geist of Saint Traft , and Deputy of Detention , and activated ability of Selfless Spirit .
All that said, it's clear that in many cases a 2-mana counterspell (e.g., Negate or Mana Leak ) is better than a 2-mana stifle effect ... certainly UW Control has found that to be the case! What's not clear to me yet is if that's the case in UG Control as well ...
3 months ago
This past weekend saw my cube’s first seven player draft (eight had homework to finish). Now, some of them are filthy casuals but here are the deck lists drafted with (W-L) stats! No basic lands included, however.
Me – Mardu Angels (3-0)
Akroma, Angel of Wrath
Assemble the Legion
Bruna, the Fading Light
Cavern of Souls
Conqueror's Galleon Flip
Gisela, the Broken Blade
Nahiri, the Harbinger
Smuggler Captain (finds Reanimate )
Sphere of the Suns
Pritch – Golgari Midrange (2-1)
Go for the Throat
Herald of Torment
Heir of the Wilds
Liliana of the Veil
Liliana, the Last Hope
Rite of Belzenlok
Sidisi, Undead Vizier
Thrun, the Last Troll
Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
Westvale Abbey Flip
Yahenni, Undying Partisan
Paul – Grixis Control (1-1)
Creeping Tar Pit
Force of Will
Lich Lord of Unx
Nicol Bolas, the Ravager Flip
Purphoros, God of the Forge
Tezzeret, Artifice Master
Thassa, God of the Sea
Thing in the Ice Flip
Unscythe, Killer of Kings
Abby – Bant Midrange (0-1)
Bow of Nylea
Courser of Kruphix
Crush of Tentacles
Elixir of Immortality
Kiora, the Crashing Wave
Mikaeus, the Lunarch
Sigarda, Host of Herons
Spirit of the Labyrinth
Sword of War and Peace
Matt – Four Color Good Stuff (1-1)
Arch of Orazca
Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim
Birds of Paradise
Brimaz, King of Oreskos
Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
Maze of Ith
Odric, Master Tactician
Path to Exile
Price of Fame
Sword of Light and Shadow
Teferi, Hero of Dominaria
Tetzimoc, Primal Death
Through the Breach
Ugin, the Spirit Dragon
Voice of Resurgence
Warden of the First Tree
Zacama, Primal Calamity
Ben – Temur Cascade– (0-1)
Akroma, Angel of Fury
Braid of Fire
City of Brass
Ghalta, Primal Hunger
Heart of Ramos
Kira, Great Glass-Spinner
Pact of Negation
Sai, Master Thopterist
Search for Azcanta Flip
Sword of Fire and Ice
Urabrask the Hidden
Volatile Chimera (I forget what was on it, never came up)
Courrtney – Green Black Delirium (0-1)
Avenger of Zendikar
Empty the Pits
Emrakul, the Promised End
Garruk Relentless Flip
Great Sable Stag
Greenwarden of Murasa
Ink-Eyes, Servant of Oni
Isareth the Awakener
Master of the Wild Hunt
Oracle of Mul Daya
See the Unwritten
Whip of Erebos
4 months ago
Deck seems like fun!
Here are a few suggestions:
If you are looking to make this deck do its thing more often, I would recommend playing more 1-cost mana creatures like Birds of Paradise . These let you cast your spells a turn earlier which is really good!
Even though I really like Sadistic Sacrament , the fact that it costs 3 black mana and doesn't make a direct impact to the battlefield makes it a little bit awkward.
I would also play more dual lands like the Blooming Marsh you have so that you can have the right colors of mana more often. I see you have a Hissing Quagmire in the side and it would be fine to just have it in the main board in my opinion.
It never hurts to have a full 15-card sideboard, so might as well throw in 3 more random cards to fill it up! If you want ideas on specific options, try putting cards into the sideboard that are really good against some decks but not necessarily very good against others, like ways to exile the graveyard, more ways to destroy enchantments and artifacts, ways to take cards away from your opponent's hand or ways to kill creatures.
Lastly, since there are many different one-of creatures in the deck, a few copies of Chord of Calling can help you get the ones you need when you need them.
Of course, since this is a casual deck, no need to make changes if you don't want to. These changes could help make the deck more powerful though if that is what you are looking for :)
4 months ago
Hello, i'm sorry for the delay in responding here. Anyways here are the changes I would make:
Cut 3x Forests and 5x Swamps for these: Command Tower , Golgari Rot Farm , Woodland Cemetery , Tainted Wood , Overgrown Tomb , Hissing Quagmire , Temple of Malady , Blooming Marsh , Jungle Hollow , Golgari Guildgate , Blighted Woodland , Temple of the False God , Llanowar Wastes , Bojuka Bog . (I gave you more than 10 choices here so you have options at varying prices, choose whichever 10 or even more that you would be willing to include here, keep in mind also that I have ordered them based on my most recommended to least, but all are fine choices here).
I have to get going for now, but I hope that you will find all of this useful, and let me know what you think of these changes!
5 months ago
The most easy upgrade would be for your lands, there's a ton you could add such as Dakmor Salvage , Svogthos, the Restless Tomb , Hissing Quagmire , High Market , Command Tower , Overgrown Tomb , Woodland Cemetery , Westvale Abbey Flip, Bojuka Bog , Evolving Wilds , Grim Backwoods , Tainted Wood , and Golgari Rot Farm .
I will think of more things at another point when I have more time, if you in turn have any suggestions feel free to give any of my edh decks a look, perhaps my Meren of Clan Nel Toth decklist might give you some ideas in the process.
Hissing Quagmire occurrence in decks from the last year
All decks: 0.06%
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.02%