|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
: Add to your mana pool.
, : Put target artifact card in your graveyard on top of your library.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (7)||Nemesis , maR2307 , Spinalripper , buildingadeck , Mousemke , DrLitebur , NostalgicAce|
|Want (11)||Turtlelover73 , gosora , Ace_Kavu , Ariumlegion , 4gvn1 , dplerner , jhTheMan99 , sonnet666 , philktoken8998 , jugglervr , DudeMan1031|
Academy Ruins Discussion
4 days ago
I see the biggest problem in the mana costs of the locust god. That's 6 mana and it won't stay in play long. Of course, you can play it again for 6 mana but you will have to play this thing and go into any sort of combo in the same turn, which requires even more mana.
You should think about how you can even survive so long and that's the deck then. If this card works at all it's probably in a shell with 20 or more counterspells ranging from 0 to a Maximum of 2 or 3 mana and a shitoad of mana artifacts (maybe with Paradoxical Outcome). I would not rely on the creatures alone though because there are numerous methods to disable these tokens or prevent them from attacking or dealing damage. Something like Impact Tremors or Purphoros, God of the Forge would help.
Phyrexian Altar and Ashnod's Altar would make a three card combo with Skullclamp and the locust god. Tezzeret the Seeker , Trinket Mage, Fabricate, Trophy Mage, Intuition, Long-Term Plans, Transmute Artifact and Academy Ruins are must plays then. You'll need every GOOD tutor and there aren't too many in these colours. Of course my suggestions are not a complete list but you have to keep mana efficiency in mind.
4 days ago
Reminder that it just says that counters can't be placed on players & permanents.
Counters that are already there will stay on.
In other words this has to come down early to have any real effect. I'm sure Meren and others can function with just 4-ish counters.
There's also Mirage Mirror, which has a lot of weird potential. Off the top of my head:
- Copies Cabal Coffers or Deserted Temple.
- Copies an opponent's Gaea's Cradle, Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx, Serra's Sanctum, Volrath's Stronghold, or Academy Ruins.
- Copies Mana Vault, Grim Monolith, or Basalt Monolith, and then is itself again by the time your untap rolls around.
- If you have enough mana you can stack its copy effect to have it turn first into one thing, then another.
- You could even keep switching forever if you had infinite colorless already.
Not sure what I'd use it in, but it sure is neat.
6 days ago
I know next to nothing about mono U in EDH, but there's really no reason not to run Isochron Scepter + Dramatic Reversal infinite mana combo (with any mana rock). Especially when you already have Capsize and Blue Sun's Zenith to use with the inf. mana. And it's budget!
My first thoughts for cuts would be Future Sight unless it plays some role I'm not seeing and maybe Rewind as your worst permission, though you could perhaps cut a land since the higher land count is mostly to hedge against poor opening hands.
EDIT: To answer your question, I think it looks fine. My suggestions reflect that mono- combo/control is more effective in EDH, to my knowledge, since is a fragile stand-alone control color.
If you want to make it more resilient in a multiplayer group, I'd add the above combos to quickly take care of threatening players. If you want to make it faster in 1v1, I'd streamline the deck to be a High Tide combo build, which you can also do on a budget like this.
1 week ago
Some cards to look at: Mycosynth Golem, Spine of Ish Sah, Copper Gnomes, Lux Cannon, Trinket Mage, Treasure Mage, Trophy Mage, Training Grounds, Brainstorm, Scroll Rack, Long-Term Plans, Kuldotha Forgemaster, Lightning Greaves, Frogmite (it's a lol card), Rings of Brighthearth (with maybe Basalt Monolith if you want the whole combo), Illusionist's Bracers, Aphetto Alchemist, Clock of Omens, Voltaic Key, Scarecrone, Padeem, Consul of Innovation, Show and Tell, Metalworker, Lightning Greaves, Ancient Tomb, Chrome Mox, Memnarch (Memenarch), March of the Machines, Colossus of Akros, Thran Dynamo, Duplicant, Mindslaver and Academy Ruins, Batterskull, Phyrexian Metamorph, Darksteel Juggernaut, Metalwork Colossus, Null Rod (if you're feeling cheeky), Omen Machine, Platinum Emperion, Platinum Emperion, Wurmcoil Engine. If you want a couple more combos, Muzzio isn't the best at combo-omg, but lemme know an I'll list a few more. Hope this helped!
1 week ago
I want to build a 5c lands deck around Child of Alara. These are the win cons I've considered so far:
Dark Depths - not as good as in legacy but a 20/20 is pretty damn good
Maze's End - Easily disrupted and often easy to see coming but the opportunity cost of running the combo is low as the gates just replace other colored lands
Crazy ramp into Villainous Wealth
mass land destruction + having better land recursion than anyone else
1 week ago
Thank you ogorek, I appreciate it!
Good question marsthesoos!
Adding the 4th Daze is something I am considering, but I think it is too risky with the low Island count I am running... I gotta test it out though!
1 week ago
1 week ago
Not going to argue my position further since it's obvious I'm drastic opposition. Pulling my list down. Anyway, I'll leave you with what I believe to be some things that'll help you.
Irrelevant Arcanis Stuff Show
- Get a greedier mana base. No way other than LTP to fetch B2B makes the extra utility better. Academy Ruins, Buried Ruin, and Inventors' Fair are solid options.
- Drop thinking about MoM or DramaScepter as common combos. Your most accessible combo is Sensei's + Voltaic Key + Engine. All the pieces are artifacts and have great utility outside of the combo. Tutoring for the other two combos is much harder. You essentially have LTP for MoMo and Mystical and Muddle for Drama Scpter. That's piss poor for tutor options. You'll have more consistency with the artifact route. Include Reshape for more artifact tutors. I know it's 3 cards, but you're gonna be looking for Engine anyway. You'll run into situations where it's just going to be easier to get some extra artifacts than it is to try to assemble the other combos. Arcanis is also not guaranteed by any means to go through and working on either will further the other.
- You have 2 instant speed cantrips. That's not enough to make Scepter + Engine + Cantrip a thing without forcing it and the opportunity cost for including more is low. Could drop some of Ponder, Visions, Preordain.
- As for LabMan, think of it like this. If you're going off with one of the combos that draws you your deck, you're going to have access to all the cards in your library, yea? At that point, converting to colored is easy via engine, candelabra, voltaic, etc. It shouldn't matter what you use to win at that point. BSZ will get you there just as easily as LabMan except that card actually does something outside of combo. On the other hand, if you just manage to get DramaScepter out, BSZ is strictly better as it allows you to draw your deck regardless of whatever else is going on whereas LabMan is dead in hand. I honestly don't see why this is such a huge point of contention. He's just not needed to win.
- Reality Shift should probably be your spot removal of choice.
- Pemmin's Aura's greedy af. If you're just interested in seeing more of your deck, Jace's Archivist could do more consistent work. Scroll Rack is another solid option.