|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
- Academy Ruins + Mindslaver
T: Add 1 to your mana pool.
1U, T: Put target artifact card in your graveyard on top of your library.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Academy Ruins Discussion
1 day ago
2 days ago
Alright, I gave the deck a look through. I think I understand what you want to do with it, but I also think that you're trying to play Rafiq in an inefficient manner. Based on my interpretation, he isn't meant to be played in a way that prevents other players from doing things. He should be played in a way that prevents other players from doing anything to your board.
With that in mind, I think the best course of action would be to go full voltron. Of course, I have a bias towards aggro and voltron strategies in general, but you have a surprising number of options available to make this a great aggro deck, and there are multiple forms of protection available in Bant aside from just counterspells.
Something you're completely ignoring is the Exalted keyword. Exalted is a triggered ability, so each instance of Exalted stacks. You mentioned to me that you didn't want to necessarily rely on enchantments and artifacts to pump Rafiq. Fortunately, you don't. You just want to retool your creatures a bit so that you get more Exalted triggers, and find some other utility creatures that offer protection.
Any card suggestions I make in this post are going to sway the deck in favor of this strategy, which I understand is against your original vision of a control deck. Also, this does make it play like every other Rafiq deck. But, in my opinion, this deck (in its current state) looks like a bunch of cards put together with no real strategy in mind. Almost all of your control elements would be better off in the Grand Arbiter Augustin IV deck, or would be better suited for Derevi, Empyrial Tactician.
Some items to consider: you are only running 1 board wipe. I would at least consider having 3 in any EDH deck. Also, your mana base (33 lands, 5 dorks, 4 rocks) seems low overall. Since you have limited options to ramp for lands outside of playing multiple lands a turn (which is based on the number of lands in hand), and with how easily removed creatures are, I don't think you'll have enough mana to do things when you really want to. You are also only running 2 targeted removal spells, and they are for creatures. You have no way of dealing with artifacts or enchantments on the board, and you're playing with at least two colors that are good with dealing with those kinds of permanents. There also seems to be a curious amount of creature-searching, but none of the creatures you have seem game-changing enough to where I see a reason to search for creatures. I mean, sure, Linvala, Keeper of Silence can ruin someone's day, but there should be more than 1-3 creatures worth searching for.
SUGGESTED CARD REMOVALS AND SWAP
- Remove Academy Ruins: This one is a questionable removal since there is a benefit to it being there, but maybe not a large enough one in the deck's current state.
- Swap Ancient Tomb with Cathedral of War. You want that Exalted trigger more than losing two life for two colorless.
- Swap Buried Ruin for Rogue's Passage : Again, a questionable removal that is based on what dank artifacts you have in your graveyard, but Rogue's Passage helps you get in with Rafiq.
- Remove Dryad Arbor: Likely used to combo with your creature-searching spells, but I don't think you have enough stuff worth searching for. Maybe just swap for a Seaside Citadel for access to more colors? One tapped land won't kill you.
- Swap Jace, the Mind Sculptor for Elspeth, Knight-Errant. This Elspeth makes Rafiq a pain to deal with, and provides a good target for other players who don't want your shit to be indestructible.
- Swap Tamiyo, Field Researcher for Ajani, Mentor of Heroes. Not as good as Elspeth, but still makes Rafiq a boss.
- Remove Academy Rector
- Remove Aven Mindcensor
- Remove Containment Priest
- Remove Edric, Spymaster of Trest
- Remove Gaddock Teeg
- Remove Gilded Drake
- Remove Grand Arbiter Augustin IV
- Remove Hokori, Dust Drinker
- Remove Linvala, Keeper of Silence
- Remove Snapcaster Mage: Works in spellslinging decks. Not so much in decks more focused on permanents.
- Remove Temur Sabertooth: This is a questionable removal, since I can see why its in the deck.
- Remove Thada Adel, Acquisitor
- Remove Yisan, the Wanderer Bard
- Remove Eldritch Evolution
- Remove Green Sun's Zenith
- Remove Temporal Manipulation
- Remove Temporal Mastery
- Remove Time Spiral
- Remove Time Warp
- Remove Aura of Silence
- Remove Exploration
- Remove Living Plane
- Remove Survival of the Fittest
- Remove Chord of Calling
- Remove Crop Rotation
- Remove Eladamri's Call
- Remove Force of Will
- Remove Mana Drain
- Remove Noxious Revival
- Remove Pact of Negation
- Remove Skullclamp: Most of your 1 toughness creatures are your mana dorks. Do you want to sacriface a mana source for two cards that you may not be able to play?
CARDS TO CONSIDER (largely based on EDHrec)
- Sublime Archangel
- Sovereigns of Lost Alara
- Sigarda's Aid
- Steel of the Godhead
- Giltspire Avenger
- Open the Armory
- Shield of the Oversoul
- Battlegrace Angel
- Stoic Angel
- Supreme Verdict
- Bant Charm
- Various Exalted creatures of your choice
- Silent Arbiter
- Thassa, God of the Sea
- Grand Abolisher
- Sakura-Tribe Elder
- Sigarda, Heron's Grace
- Dauntless Escort
- Sylvan Reclamation
- Krosan Grip
- Beast Within
- Return to Dust
- Simic Charm, Selesnya Charm
- Kodama's Reach, Cultivate, Farseek, Rampant Growth
- Ponder, Preordain, Serum Visions
- Wrath of God, Day of Judgment
- Loxodon Warhammer
- Behemoth Sledge
- Darksteel Ingot
- Hero's Blade
- Sword of Vengeance
- Commander's Sphere
- Eldrazi Conscription
- Mirari's Wake
- Armadillo Cloak
- Ardent Plea
- Angelic Benediction
- Dueling Grounds
- Bear Umbra
- Aqueous Form
- Unflinching Courage
- Hindering Light
- Valorous Stance
- Bident of Thassa
- Heroic Intervention
- Rogue's Gloves
- Grafted Exoskeleton
4 days ago
Thanks for the suggestions, with all the signets I think adding a couple Academy Ruins should be fine. I think Herald of Anguish could be a good fit for the deck that I hadn't thought of. Pia's Revolution is not necessarily the powerhouse of the deck, but for all the artifacts that are being sacrificed with this deck it gives the opponent a difficult choice sometimes.
4 days ago
Interesting concept +1. With all those artifacts the new improvise mechanic seems like it would be powerful in this deck. Herald of Anguish comes to mind. I'm skeptical that Pia's Revolution is very good here but perhaps I'm wrong. Also I second Academy Ruins
1 week ago
Would it be O.K. if I posted my combos here so someone who is upgraded could actually put it under the card.Saheeli Rai + Liquimetal Coating + Altar of the Brood, Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker/Splinter Twin+Pestermite/Deceiver Exarch, Painter's Servant+Grindstone, Isochron Scepter/Time Walk/Silence, Academy Ruins+Mindslaver, Panoptic Mirror+Any extra turn spell, Peregrine Drake+Archaeomancer+Ghostly Flicker, Sword of the Meek+Thopter Foundry+Krark-Clan Ironworks, and Saheeli Rai + Felidar Guardian
1 week ago
I usually only play Intuition in mono blue or UW decks, which don't ordinarily have access to higher quality tutors. When used, most of the time I'm going for a critical combo piece and two pieces of recursion (IE, The Chain Veil + Academy Ruins + Buried Ruin), or for three answers to the same threat (triple counterspell, triple tax effect, etc). Either way, it's not ideal. It's almost always on the lower end of playable cards in a given deck.
@Lilbrudder: I definitely agree. Mimeoplasm should move down. He was originally placed in Tier 1 back when the only other decent Sultai commander was Damia, and managed to stay there because he was overall slightly better for reanimator than Tasigur. With the release of Leovold and to a lesser extent Thrasios, there's really no need to keep him there though. Leovold with minimal support is better for the strategy, despite having little tie-in. Mimeo managed to sneak past the survey I made because no one had brought him up recently, and the poll was entirely suggestion based other than Riku. He, Derevi, and possibly a handful of others can be bumped down.
2 weeks ago
To be honest I wanted more to know what you thought about how my deck wins, rather than a huge list of cards. I do appreciate the time you put into assembling that list, though.
No one attacks my Commander as she is not seen to be much of a threat when someone else is playing Food Chain Prossh.
By the time a decent Creature comes out I usually have an equipment I can throw on it to give it Shroud/Make it Hexproof.
I'm aware that Arcane Lighthouse laughs in the face of Shroud/Hexproof, but to be honest my Commander is easy to recast because she is cheap, and I can fish most of my good Creatures back from the graveyard with Academy Ruins.
Unless some bastard Exiles them.
What I really wanted to know was how long it would take for people to realise I was flying under the radar and start gunning for me.