Search your library for a card and put that card into your hand, then shuffle your library. You lose 3 life.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Grim Tutor Discussion
1 week ago
I like it! My previous mono-black CMDR that used a lot of these cards was Maralen of the Mornsong. I can sleeve up almost the entire deck but due to budget I plan to replace Candelabra of Tawnos, Imperial Seal, Grim Tutor, and Bazaar of Baghdad with Liliana of the Veil, Geth's Grimoire, Crucible of Worlds, and Inventors' Fair. I think I will try Paradox Engine over Voltaic Key and Painful Quandary instead of Oppression.
2 weeks ago
Another not fun combo I forgot to mention is Helm of the Ghastlord and Nekusar, the Mindrazer. Or Windfall effects and Notion Thief. Or just Notion Thief at all. Let's just say my bro has a nekusar deck that is not fun to play against. Just add tutors for Helm of the Ghastlord with a nekusar commander (hey, you're just play-testing Imperial Seal, Grim Tutor, etc. , amiright?) and make him completely unable to draw cards. Sorry about the double post.
3 weeks ago
Hey Mataogetrekt !!
Nice man!! Glad to see you running it too.. and that play testing this build treated you well. Tonight will be the first test in person, so I'm excited to give it a run and test the strategy out. Like I've said, I've play tested an earlier version but have since changed the strategy a bit and modded about 10-12 cards. So this'll be a new experience.
Phyrexian Tyranny was a hard one to bump. And may be one I bring back if I find I'm not winning enough. If this build doesn't prove strong enough I suspect Megrim and Phyrexian Tyranny will be added back in.. or at the very least considered. That or.. I could add more redundancy for infect. I have a feeling this will play well as is, but you may be right. This deck has the potential to do a decent amount of self inflicted damage, what with all the shock lands, Mana Crypt Grim Tutor Vampiric Tutor etc.. I felt, when making the final cuts for this deck, that the rate that could do damage to myself would mean I'd have to really prioritize life gain in many scenarios, and I felt that ultimately I can deal enough damage to not need Phyrexian Tyranny but I guess we'll be testing that assumption :P
If you do decide to run it, or any changes please do keep me posted with the results! Or if you just end up playing this deck! Really interested in what we can all hammer out for a competitive Nekusar with a flavour of control.
1 month ago
Second question. Do you think 2.1 average CMC is too high for Ad nauseam/DD Oloro? Its not as competitive as your deck because I dont have cards like Timetwister Grim Tutor Underground Sea, but I am trying to make it as strong as possible with what I have access to.
1 month ago
(You asked me to look it over on Facebook.)
Overall it looks fine.
Your mana base is deeply misaligned from your deck's colors, though of course you're running something very close to an optimized landbase (fetches, ABURs, etc). I'd run zero-one basic mountains here, though. Just small tweaks.
It's really a shame that Gift of Immortality isn't in your colors; it's sweet with an Aristocrats deck. It's one of the reasons I personally prefer Orzhov for Aristocrat strategies...
Of your vampires, Falkenrath Gorger seems weak. He's only relevant with three other cards in the deck, so unless there's a lot of wheels running around your meta I suspect he's usually dead?
Your curve is somewhat high; have you considered Black Market to profit off of the many death triggers? This could power out a Sheoldred, Whispering One from your hand, or at the worst you can always just pump the excess mana into Olivia or Skeletal Vampire.
Have you looked into "proper" Stax effects, like the eponymous Smokestack? In a deck built to profit off of death triggers, it unbalances the card even more than usual.
Anyway, that's my two cents! Happy deckbuilding.
1 month ago
In light of the recent MTGO Commander Banlist announcement, I thought to ask everyone what the banlist would look like if they made it.
The following proposed banlist is my opinion of what the banlist should look like. You will see 3 criteria for what makes a card unfit for the format, and a list of what cards could be banned based on them:
Proposed banlist Show
First off, the easiest thing to tackle is the fact that simple bans can be made to ensure the format is not a pay-to-win game, in order to make the format more inviting AND ensure that the winner isn't always the one with the most money:
- The ABUR Duals (Tundra, Underground Sea, Badlands , Taiga, Savannah, Scrubland, Volcanic Island, Bayou, Plateau, and Tropical Island)
- The Power 10 (Black Lotus, Time Walk, Ancestral Recall, Mox Sapphire, Mox Jet, Mox Ruby, Mox Pearl, Mox Emerald, Timetwister, and Library of Alexandria)
- Candelabra of Tawnos
- Capture of Jingzhou
- Gaea's Cradle
- Gauntlet of Might
- Grim Tutor
- Imperial Recruiter
- Imperial Seal
- Mana Drain
- Mishra's Workshop
- Ravages of War
- The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
- Time Vault
Next, what's the point of having the format be 100-card singleton if we can just jam the best tutors and obscene card drawing engines into every deck? I'd ban those cards to ensure the game can't become stale through consistency:
- Altar of Bone
- Arcum Dagsson
- Birthing Pod
- Captain Sisay
- Defense of the Heart
- Demonic Tutor
- Diabolic Intent
- Edric, Spymaster of Trest
- Eladamri's Call
- Enlightened Tutor
- Fauna Shaman
- Gifts Ungiven
- Green Sun's Zenith
- Hermit Druid
- Merchant Scroll
- Mystical Tutor
- Oath of Druids
- Personal Tutor
- Sterling Grove
- Survival of the Fittest
- Sylvan Tutor
- Trade Secrets
- Traverse the Ulvenwald
- Vampiric Tutor
- Worldly Tutor
- Yawgmoth's Bargain
- Yisan, the Wanderer Bard
- Zur the Enchanter
Lastly, the elephant in the room. According to a survey conducted by MaRo, people said that the most unfun event for them in a game of magic is mana denial. Being denied mana production or being unfairly out-ramped is a core part of games that are the opposite of fun:
- Braids, Cabal Minion
- Limited Resources
- Mana Crypt
- Mana Vault
- Mana Vortex
- Rofellos, Llanowar Emissary
- Sol Ring
- Static Orb
- Tangle Wire
- Tolarian Academy
- Winter Orb
And that's it!
I'm anticipating a few arguments to this proposed banlist.
Firstly, I'm sure that many would argue that such a banlist would allow many combos to run rampant through commander, to which I would say, with what tutors? Combos that previously didn't exist truly now exist, but without tutors to back them up, it will be difficult to assemble combos.
Some will say that Stax decks are no longer viable, to which I respond with the question: If stax and MLD are objectively the most effective way to ensure opponents don't enjoy the game, what argument could there possibly be for their inclusion?
Lastly, many opponents of this proposed banlist will probably argue that such a banlist is far too long to be healthy. I agree that a shorter banlist would be better, so I am interested to hear which specific examples aren't as bad of violators of the problems I mentioned for each section.
2 months ago
A few initial thoughts:
- I'm a bit unclear on why you're running Darkheart Sliver--is there a synergy there that I'm not seeing?
- Why omit Mox Diamond and Grim Monolith? Running the mana-positive rocks seems like it furthers your game plan in a pretty real way.
- In much the same way that Vampiric Tutor is good, Imperial Seal is good. I'm not sure you need Grim Tutor, but it's certainly worth considering.
- I'm very leery of Veteran Explorer; I know it easily gets you two more lands during your combo turn, but it also gives two lands to everyone else, and that's a dicey trade-off if you plan on pushing through disruption. What does including it do for you?
- SquirrelCraft seems a bit cute, especially since you're light on free sac outlets. Seeing as you're already running infinite mill as a meaningful line, Altar of Dementia doesn't seem an unreasonable option to consider if you're keen to win by squirrels for days, but I feel there are stronger options--Exsanguinate comes to mind.
- Elvish Spirit Guide seems largely inferior to Lotus Petal in this context; it's a 3-drop (Ad Nauseam/Dark Confidant) that only ever gives you one of your two colors.
- What are your main targets for Reanimate and Unearth? Is there any merit in Entomb, or are those purely ways to recur combo pieces?
- Dryad Arbor over a basic Forest could be very strong; you can grab it off fetchlands, and it makes T1 GSZ a ramp spell.
- On the topic of fetchlands, your colors give you access to seven* of them, and you should almost certainly run them all.
- If you haven't already, consider Toxic Deluge as an additional board wipe--it may never make it in, but it's an extremely cheap and potent card
- Depending on how full your graveyard gets when you're starting to go off, Cabal Ritual feels like it would be naturally at home alongside Dark Ritual and Culling the Weak
- Bloom Tender in a two-color deck feels dubious, but I'm not quite prepared to say it's necessarily wrong, either.
- Given your reliance on mana dorks, Benefactor's Draught functions as a ritual that cantrips; if you choose to pair it with Isochron Scepter, it also draws you your deck while giving you an outrageous amount of mana.
I hope some of this helps! I like the direction you seem to be taking this.
2 months ago
Dimir Signet or other on-color signets
This is the best I have off the top of my head. The multicolored ones add some things, too.