Talisman of Creativity
: Gain .
: Gain or . Talisman of Creativity deals 1 damage to you.
|Want (5)||Lnwz , DarrickMaverick , leocat , Tsal , adam1floyd3|
Printings View all
|Modern Horizons (MH1)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Talisman of Creativity Discussion
2 days ago
Your average converted mana cost is low enough to go to 33 or 34 if you had mana dorks.
- Holdout Settlement and Survivors' Encampment are just Springleaf Drum on lands. These are reasonable, depending on how hard your game plans need Kalamax or not.
- Rashmi, Eternities Crafter: Rashmi is incremental advantage. You and both know that you are going to play cards on other people’s turns, so why not get free stuff for doing so? Wavebreak Hippocamp does the same thing if you want more of this effect.
- Birds of Paradise, Llanowar Elves, Elvish Mystic, Arbor Elf, Priest of Titania, Rattleclaw Mystic. I prefer creature-based ramp if I’m playing . Most of these cards will Pod into Corridor Monitor, Deceiver Exarch, and Pestermite.
- Spellseeker: Spellseeker grabs most of the instants and sorceries in your deck and more food for Prime Speaker
- Torrential Gearhulk: Snapcaster Mage #2 aka Fatcaster mage. The 5/6 body is nice for when games go longer than expected.
- Thing in the Ice
Flip: I noticed that you don’t have ways to protect yourself. If played earlier, you can flip Thing in the Ice and reset that battlefield. It was dumb in other formats, it’s dumb in EDH as well.
- Niv-Mizzet, Parun: End-game beater and a storm card. Not necessary but strong.
- Creature Tutors: Finale of Devastation, Eldritch Evolution, and Neoform. More tutors for consistency.
Instants and Sorceries
- Reality Shift and Rapid Hybridization: Good removal outside of and . Do you really care about a 3/3 beast or a 2/2 manifest token? I don’t……
- Manamorphose: Just a good cantrip in Temur.
- Swan Song: Another good counter spell, but you have that covered pretty well. Once again, no one cares about one 2/2 bird….no one…
- Reiterate: Goes infinite with Turnabout and Dramatic Reversal and or more mana. However, I think Isochron Scepter is just better if infinite mana is the goal.
- Nature's Lore: This is only and grabs any forest onto the battlefield. Most of the time, you are going to tutor for Forest, so why not grab Breeding Pool instead?
- Raging Ravine: Ok, it has your colors. Are you ever going to activate this man-land? Also, it comes in tapped. Gross….
- Arch of Orazca: I think Arch is better in decks that lack access to card draw. You’re in . Drawing cards, most of the time, is not going to be a problem for you.
- Frilled Mystic and Mystic Snake: I’ve fallen for this trap too. I don’t want to pay for a counterspell on a weak 2/2 body. Compare these two cards to other mana spells like Cryptic Command. This cards counters, protects, and draws cards. I prefer utility creatures with more flexibility.
2 days ago
Nice to see my old cards have a nice home now ^_^!
Since I came back to magic but cant really play against you right now, I thought I might be able to give some suggestions.
In you recent update you were saying you're thinking about Coalition Relic, this got me thinking about your manaramp. This got me looking at the amount of manaramp cards you're running and their manacosts. In my opinion I would always try to have 10 manaramp cards. Right now your running 9 which includes Chromatic Lantern. But because your commander has a conferted manacost of 4 I suggest running more two manacasting ramp cards, like Coldsteel Heart, Talisman of Creativity, Fellwar Stone and Arcane Signet. I would add two of these, maybe cutting Chromatic Lantern and a non ramp card. this makes it possible to play Marchesa, the Black Rose on turn three. This option is always nice even tho your deck, like you wrote, doesn't always need her.
I would consider adding two more lands (you're running 35) while with an average manacost of 3.44 I would run 37 lands. I would also change some basic lands around to get your manacolor circle diagram a little better.
As for carddraw, I would consider adding two more. You're currently running 8, I would try to moke this 10 to make the deck more consistent. Have you considered Baleful Strix? This a nice carddraw effect in the deck, easy to use in the early turns. It even has a nice flying deathtough body! Apart from that consider running Windfall and Fact or Fiction. both have the added benefit of filling the yard. Which would make adding Dread Return even better.
I would also consider running one or more extra targeted removal spells/ counter spells. to help against the possible graveyard hate (which I will run next time!).
Apart from these small changes the deck looks great! but you wrote you didn't like the expensive tutors. maybe consider adding Scheming Symmetry and Wishclaw Talisman. Both are cheap, fair and have the added benefit of some nice politicking!
I'm hitting myself for saying this but, Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker is a nice fit for the deck. the combo with Zealous Conscripts, but even apart from that the copy it makes can give you more etb effect and sacrifice fodder. Which makes it a very nice addition to the deck.
I hope some of these suggestions won't make it into the deck just because, I will have to play against it. But even if they will, looking forward to playing again!
P.S. I think you're missing a card (current cards: 99).
P.S.S. You're maybe board has some duplicates :)
3 days ago
The main area that will improve this deck the most is your mana ramp. I'll try to keep my suggestions budget friendly and I can also help suggest some cuts if you'd like.
Talisman of Conviction, Talisman of Creativity, Talisman of Progress, Fellwar Stone, Pentad Prism (only cost rock that ramps 2 different colored mana in one turn), Worn Powerstone, Coalition Relic, and Basalt Monolith are all great mana rocks here. Crystal Vein and Generator Servant are great options too. I literally ran all of these plus what you already run.
Feel free to check out my list for ideas. It's extra turns Narset and it's pretty optimized. Upvotes on any of my decks are appreciated. Narset, American Beauty
1 week ago
2 weeks ago
First things first - you need to have a proper deck description. I have no idea what you're really going for with this deck outside of:
- Play a bunch of random infect cards
- Get some stax pieces out
- Hope for a Win?
Writing a thoughtful deck description will not only help everyone who randomly visits your page (like me), but will help you gain a better understanding of what you're trying to accomplish with this deck. A general guide you can follow would be answering the following questions:
What turn can my deck consistently threaten to win the game?
What are the themes in this deck? (Obviously Infect, and +1/+1 counters)
These are also questions you should be asking your opponents before you sit down and start a game (those three questions you would be discussing with your opponents are known as the turn 0 talk). One thing that does help alleviate some of the salt Infect produces is ensuring that your opponents know what they are signing up for. I guess the term "social contract" applies here. But yeah, you need to be doing this before starting a game - especially with an infect deck.
Another resource to consult is Epochalyptik's Do you want to write a primer?. There you have an expanded list of topics to address and questions to ask yourself. I know it's easy to throw together a bunch of cards - but if you really care about your commander, and the deck you're constructing then you'll go deeper and ask yourself
A suggestion: Cut about 5 to 8 lands, and include more interaction, ramp, and rocks - especially the latter. Grixis has few cheap ramp staples, but the usual suspects i'd recommend are: Cabal Coffers + Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, Fellwar Stone, Arcane Signet, Talisman of Dominance, Talisman of Creativity, Talisman of Indulgence, and Mana Crypt (Sorry, I know the last one is dumb expensive). If you're playing infect, then usually you're playing some form of prolifeation. That doesn't seem to be much of a subtheme here, but if you do decide to lean more into it then you could try out Everflowing Chalice as well.
As for interaction, you have some very strong color options. Imp's Mischief, friggin Toxic Deluge, Damnation, Black Sun's Zenith, Deadly Rollick, Counterspell, Fierce Guardianship, Negate, Mana Leak, Vandalblast, Blasphemous Act, Faithless Looting, and Countersquall. All very good options. Also, you could do with a bit more draw options as well - Windfall, Wheel of Fortune, (Expensive, I know - sorry) and Rhystic Study are all great staples.
Infect/Poison counters can only get you so far in commander. Take it as an inevitability that you will outright lose due to the mechanic being so politically weak. Assume that at the start of every game you will be isolated and that players will more often than not band together to remove your infect creatures/sources. To better compensate, you need to have a reliable secondary theme built into your deck that can help you get to victory.
3 weeks ago
4 weeks ago
Hey, nice start and this is obviously a budget deck therefore my suggestions will be $2 or less each, most are less than $1.
- Exotic Orchard
- Mystic Monastery
- Prairie Stream
- Battlefield Forge
- Port Town
- Ash Barrens
- Mystic Sanctuary
- Desolate Lighthouse
- Castle Vantress
- Bident of Thassa: can be lots of repeatable draw with flying Spirit tokens.
- Future Sight: this will generate lots of card advantage especially because it lets you play one land.
- Pull from Tomorrow: good draw spell to use with a lot of ramp.
- Mentor of the Meek: can be repeatable draw whenever a Spirit token is created.
- Impact Tremors: 1 damage to each opponent whenever a token is created.
- Swords to Plowshares
- Generous Gift
- Expansion / Explosion
Cards to consider cutting:
- 2x Island
- 2x Plains
- 2x Mountain
- Enigma Drake
- Rage Thrower
- Boros Locket
- Izzet Locket
- Winged Words
- Hallowed Spiritkeeper
- Monastery Siege
- Not Forgotten
- Radical Idea
- Dramatic Reversal
- Hissing Iguanar
I offer more advice if you would like. Good luck with your deck.
1 month ago
Looks solid. Its pretty similar to state my precon was in when I first started upgrading it. I went with 2 CMC mana rocks over creatures that reduce the cost of artifacts. I find its important to get Saheeli out as early as possible and those don't help with that.
My list might be a little out of your budget but it has plenty of inexpensive cards in it that might help her out.