You may look at the top card of your library at any time.
You may play the top card of your library. If you cast a spell this way, pay life equal to its converted mana cost rather than pay its mana cost.
: Sacrifice ten nonland permanents: Each opponent loses 10 life.
|Have (2)||Forkbeard , CompleteWaste|
|Want (4)||Fireslice2 , deathdealer1225 , dodormeur , SlinkingSorcerer|
Printings View all
|War of the Spark (WAR)||Rare|
|Promo Set (000)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
- Bolas's Citadel + Etherium Sculptor + Sensei's Divining Top
- Bolas's Citadel + Leonin Elder + Sensei's Divining Top
- Bolas's Citadel + Magister Sphinx + Sorin Markov
- Aetherflux Reservoir + Bolas's Citadel + Soothsaying
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Bolas's Citadel occurrence in decks from the last year
Bolas's Citadel Discussion
1 day ago
Very cool deck! Lightning-Rig Crew is essentially another Impact Tremors although a bit slower. Salvaging Station might be worth including despite the mana cost. Here are others you might like: Where Ancients Tread, Warstorm Surge, Blood Pet, Skirk Prospector, Bolas's Citadel, Trophy Mage, Trinket Mage, Tribute Mage, Pia's Revolution
1 day ago
That being said, I think the life loss should be a payment and I think it should be connected to using the Threshold ability. Otherwise you are bound to this cost whenever using other effects that casts from the graveyard, say flashback or retrace or plain ol' Haakon, Stromgald Scourge. I don't think Gix should taint your graveyard for effects he doesn't cause.
1 day ago
jmozer33 I'll put Hushbringer on the maybe board, though I'm not sure what I would take out. I'll make the change for Mind Stone. Mana Crypt is too expensive and it's can also feel super bad to play against, so I don't want to draw too much aggro since I'm already abusing opponents. As for Vampiric Tutor, yeah the price is decently high but I also try not to run too many tutors over straight card draw because I like having some variance and I'd probably just end up tutoring for Bolas's Citadel every game (is it bad that I like Citadel over Necropotence?)
2 days ago
jmozer33 not at all (a little, but I'll get to that in a second). You may be missing that Liesa herself has lifelink. Swinging with her every turn gives you enough life to cast 5 spells every 2 turns and break even. You probably wont be casting this many spells. You may also notice that a lot of card still gain us life even though they aren't in the Masochism section; this is because while they do gain us life, its more of a bonus while they're true purpose is whatever section they are in; for example, Twilight Prophet, Crypt Ghast, and Authority of the Consuls are all in separate sections yet can all gain us life. But again, Liesa will be gaining us 5 every turn which more or less negates her tax.
The only problems I've really had is when I get Bolas's Citadel out while Liesa is in play. Like I mention in the primer, it's extra bone-hurty. Doubly so if you run into a card that requires lifeloss to cast like Anguished Unmaking or Read the Bones. But I haven't found it to be enough of a problem to warrant replacing tax effects with lifegain, and Citadel provides such an advantage I think it's worth it.
4 days ago
sora719, Thank you for the compliment! I love Orzhov and I'm really proud of how this deck turned out.
Sorin Markov is a bit too expensive for me, considering he only removes one player and he paints a giant target on your back. I could see it being worth it if you run into it using Bolas's Citadel... I guess basically I only feel comfortable running it if I already have a monopoly on the game/ severe resource advantage over my opponents. Once it takes care of one player, the others will be scrambling to knock me down several pegs.
Wound Reflection is a card that I've been contemplating for a while but not added due to it's similar high cmc. However, I don't think it paints as large a target, and it does something that I am in general more looking for than Sorin Markov. Doubling the Liesa damage (among all other damage) is super good, and I feel like once the enchantment is removed, opponents will kind of forget how much it hurt them (to a reasonable extent) since it's a "do nothing" enchantment. For now, I'll add it to the maybe board.
5 days ago
Optimator: Hello there! Always gotta love Vilis decks, especially as detailed as this one :D A lot of cards in Maybeboard would fit the deck really well (I just have no idea why you got some cards two or three times there), but I would try to minimalize the maybeboard as much as possible, to not look the deck so chaotic.
I run Vilis in my Syr Konrad's For the Void deck.. he doesnt really fit the theme/idea of the deck so well, but Vilis is just too badass to cut out :D (anyway, any feedback/suggestions would be welcomed aswell <3 )
Some cards in deck I would cut, why, and their replacement:
1) Falkenrath Noble - might be a nice card in an aristocrat deck, there isnt really any way to generate->sac big amount of your creatures to abuse Falkenrath Noble as much as possible, also costs . If you want an aristocrat, Bastion of Remembrance could be a possible option aswell. Its cheaper, gives you a 1/1 token and has the same effect as F.Noble. Sure, can't attack or block, but Bastion is also harder to remove since its an Enchantment.
2) Leaden Myr - as you already mentioned, a possible cut for some other mana-rock.. I would switch it for Malakir Rebirth Flip as an another kind of "protection" to either Vilis or another important creature at the moment. With Vilis on board, it even draws you two cards (destroy protection, draw two cards, triggering aristocrat-like effects at instant speed for only ? YES PLEASE! ). In worse case scenario, its also additional land drop. Another possible replacement could be Blood Celebrant, which synergies well with both Vilis and K'riik.
3) Liliana's Contract - would probably fit better in some Demon tribal deck or Conspiracy deck. You also have only six Demons in your deck, all of them with fairly high mana cost. As a better card-draw, I would add either Greed, since it draws you 3 cards with Vilis on board, maybe even Skullclamp that would draw you two cards every turn with Ophiomancer, but Greed would be most likey better option, since there isnt really any other way to generate a lot of tokens every turn.
4) Crux of Fate - no Dragons in your deck, not even so many of them in black in general, so outside of politic reason, other 5CMC or less boardwipes would be better. I personally love Life's Finale, its more expensive than Crux of Fate, but enables you to look and search in target opponent's deck and put up to 3 creatures from their deck into theri graveyard, which would synergize with Chainer, Dementia Master, Geth, Lord of the Vault and some other.
5) Ruinous Path - sorcery speed removal is kinda meh, so something like Hero's Downfall is just better. I personally like Eat to Extinction, even if its more expensive, it helps with top-deck managment (+exiles targeted creature/pw).
6) Cut few swamps for:
6a) Cabal Stronghold - Stronghold is cheap, can tap itself for and can give you plenty of later on.
6b) Emergence Zone - I personally love this utility land, just because it gives you spells Flash whenever you sac it. It doesnt ETB tapped and can help you casting some stuff when you sac it.
7) Chaos Wand - might be a fun card, but doesnt really fit the deck at all. I would cut it for Bontu's Monument to make a lot of your big black stuff cheaper and another small source of life-gain.
8) Big mana-rocks: Gilded Lotus and Thran Dynamo - I used to run those too, but slowly started replacing them with cheaper mana rocks like Thought Vessel and Arcane Signet. Hedron Archive is okay-ish since it can draw you two cards when you no longer need it, but with Vilis and especially mono-black, there can always be enough card draw.
9) Spellbook - would be fine, if you didnt manage to get your Reliquary Tower or Venser's Journal on board, but otherwise its just a dead card that does nothing to you anymore. I would rather replace it with Ivory Tower to get some life back.
10) Curtains' Call - I would replace this one for one of the following:
10a) Devour in Shadow/Vendetta - cheap removal that can potentionaly draws you X cards aswell.
10b) Dismember - depending on how big the creature is, but since you could cast it for only one and draw 4 cards aswell, its decent choice aswell.
10c) Snuff Out - free removal in 99.999% time, which can draws you 4 cards aswell, but not for black creatures, which, depending on your opponent's deck, might be important. Still most likely a better option.
10d) Tragic Slip - goes through indestructible, but requires a creature to die to be maximum effective, which might be sometimes a problem. Still, really good one.
10e) Malicious Affliction - another cheap removal, which is also locked to non-black creatures, but is able to destroy two creatures if a creature died already, so similar issue like Tragic Slip.
10f) Profane Command - I just totally love this card. Its not instant, but can be really flexible in various situations, so I would probably go for this as a replacement.
10g) Erebos's Intervention - similar to Profane Command, it flexile aswell, providing you to remove some indestructible creature and get some life; or serves as a fairly decent graveyard hate at instant speed.
I won't go through cards in maybeboard, even though there is plenty of really nice cards that would work so well in Vilis's deck, like Bolas's Citadel, Doom Whisperer, Font of Agonies and Phyrexian Reclamation and many more, it would just be a little too much, I would say... :D
I hope some of my suggestions will help, gonna upvote this for sure, just because it looks really nice, especially with so many possible cards that could easily fit so well :)
6 days ago
Hello! I just finished my primer for Liesa here
I recommend not going so hard on the enchantment synergies. You'll have a decent amount, but it's not the main focus of the deck, unless you really want it to be. I STRONGLY recommend you add some lands and try to get your average cmc to around 3.
6 days ago
Hello there, fellowr Syr Konrad player!
You could check my own Syr Konrad, the Grim's deck: For the Void to see how I went with him, why did I chose the cards I chosen and maybe you'll see some cards you might like too. Some feedback and upvote would be very appreciated aswell! :)
First things first, type CMDR behind "1x Syr Konrad, the Grim" in your decklist to specify him as a commander.
Second, I would probably avoid discard cards like: Mind Rot,Cavern Whisperer when its not discard focused deck.
Same would go with Underworld Dreams.. yes, it can punish some decks for their big card draws, but doesnt really fit the idea of the deck that well. But you could always add Peer into the Abyss which pairs with Underworld Dreams really well.
Next cut would probably be some creatures that doesnt really do much and other cards:
1) Barrow Witches - your only Knight is Syr Konrad, which you will 99.9% times cast from command zone anyway.
2) Feral Abomination - for 5/5 deathtouch is kinda meh, something that generates tokens would be much better, with so many creatures, cards like Pawn of Ulamog and Sifter of Skulls are nice budget options (even when token creature dies, it goes to graveyard -> triggering Syr Konrad's ability, then insantly vanishes).
3) Squelching Leeches - this can grow fairly big if you play for a lot of turns, but without anything that ramps your Swamps out quick, its just slow dumb creature.
4) Vampire Opportunist - its ability is really expensive just to drain 2 life.
5) Im sure you could replace much more creature for something more usefeul, either a card draw, removal, sacrifice outlets or more token generators. 6) Merciless Resolve is worse version of Altar's Reap, which is now worse than Village Rites.
7) Pharika's Libation - Im personally fan of this removal, just because your opponent can choose what to sacrifice. Feed the Swarm is definitely a better option.
8) Kaya's Ghostform - Kaya's Ghostform is okay, cheap protection for only one . You could add more protection, like: Malakir Rebirth Flip, which works even better, because its an instant speed "protection" and can also be used as a land if needed.
9) Evolving Wilds - no need to run this at all. You would be better to switch it either for an additional Swamp or some other utility land. Also Myriad Landscape is cheap budget option to ramp a bit, but its quite slow.
Some cards you could throw in:
1) Cabal Stronghold - budget version of Cabal Coffers, which can tap itself for and adds a decent number of black mana later on.
2) Crypt of Agadeem - with so many black creatures in your deck, this could ramp you a lot. Costs few dollars, but is definitely worth it in mono-black decks like yours.
3) Some mana rocks and spells to help you with ramp, so you won't fall behind that much should help for sure. There is plenty of mana rocks you could use, starting with Sol Ring/Mana Geode/Arcane Signet, also something like Bontu's Monument, Charcoal Diamond. There is also Culling the Weak/Dark Ritual/Cabal Ritual to give you some fast mana, on top of Bubbling Muck and Songs of the Damned. If you browse some other decks and the internet, you can find plenty of mono-black creatures and/or artifacts that can ramp your super fast.
4) Again, with so many creatures in your deck, try to get Morality Shift - which could easily take out all your opponents at once with Syr Konrad on Board. More creature returning spells from yor graveyard could be: Gravepurge/Forever Young and Death Denied. Gravepurge and Forever Young works even better with something like Bolas's Citadel, enabling you to cast those cheap creatures right away and possibly even sacrifice them, triggering Syr Konrad's at least twice each time.
5) In my opinion, super strong card like Tortured Existence. It can easily trigger Syr Konrad's twice, getting big creatures into your graveyard to reanimate them later, get cheap creatures back into your hand to re-cast them again, save some creatures from graveyard hate and works well with Desecrated Tomb. All that at instant speed, as many times as much you got to pay! And its really $cheap.