|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Eternal Masters (EMA)||Rare|
|Commander 2015 (C15)||Rare|
|MTG: Commander (CMD)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Call the Skybreaker
Put a 5/5 blue and red Elemental creature token with flying into play.
Retrace (You may play this card from your graveyard by discarding a land card in addition to paying its other costs.)
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (19)||YossarianLives , bakunet , TheAlmostHero , NobleSlay3r , Va1mar , rakdos24 , , bakeraj4 , Ashy , Lindough , Poptartz95 , switchkill65 , Kravian , Nemesis , Nebman227 , frederiklw , mziter501 , philktoken8998 , thetechzombie|
Call the Skybreaker Discussion
1 week ago
Finally got a chance to sit down and edit the decklist. I removed Izzet Boilerworks, Call the Skybreaker, Inexorable Tide, Syncopate, and Clash of Wills. Tezzeret's Gambit, Diminishing Returns, Fuel for the Cause, and Mystic Remora were put in. I see what you mean about the X counterspells, but having a few to generate experience counters are nice. If the deck runs correctly, Master the Way should be dealing an absurd amount of damage as long as I'm not top decking. Ravaging Blaze is just good budgeted spot removal and burn. Spelltwine happens to be super versatile when it comes to my graveyard, and there is going to be at least 1 good sorcery and instant in 3 other plays graveyards. I'm on the fence on Wild Ricochet as I see what you are saying.
1 week ago
Call the Skybreaker is partially blue. You may not play that card. Sorry
1 week ago
So this will be the same as my above comment. Anything I mention here does not mean that they are bad cards, rather I personally think they are less efficient for your deck's goals and strategies.
These are some cards I would look into cutting/replacing: Show
- Personally, I'm not huge on this card. Two 5/5 flyers is okay for blocking, but with all the control this deck puts out it doesn't really matter if you have chumps in the air. Plus, losing land drops/mana means casting less things, which is never good.
- All are good cards, but lose their strength when you don't have Mizzix out. Additionally, they aren't hard counters. Meaning that if your opponent does have the mana to sink into it, you're out of luck. Swan Song, Red Elemental Blast, and/or Pyroblast could be good replacements.
- I know this one seems crazy to take out, but really after you get so many XP counters, getting extra counters doesn't really matter. I see that Tezzeret's Gambit is in the side board, so I would say through that in here instead. That can be free card draw, while also providing Proliferate.
- Additionally, you get no discount on casting this 5 drop. Mystic Remora could also be considered as a replacement for this, because early game that card can essentially be Ancestral Recall in one turn rotation.
- I hate the bounce lands because they set you so far behind tempo. I honestly think running 36 lands will be fine for this deck, so I recommend cutting this in favor of one of the cheap draw cards (which help land drop consistency).
- This is alright, but without the Mizzix discount this is pretty pricy to draw a card and deal some amount of damage. It has a high ceiling of dealing a chunk of damage, but it can definitely be a dead card sometimes.
- Not a bad card, but Diminishing Returns is probably a better card overall, so I'd say just swap these out.
- You will most likely hit the Spell Mastery, but I hate how it is an X spell that has to be set up in order to not be solely creature removal. I'd say take this out for Pyroblast or Red Elemental Blast, in my opinion.
- This can be a huge whiff, and the lack of control you have over the kind of deck your opponent plays/what is in their graveyard makes this too unreliable. Your play group may make this card playable, so in that case keep it. If not, it might be too expensive CMC-wise to justify the variance this card has.
- I know that this is essentially Ancestral Recall, but I think that Dig Through Time is the better card between the two because of its instant speed. It gives you more cards insight for better selection as well.
- Similar to Pull from the Deep, just having Diminishing Returns in here replaced the need for both of these cards.
- I've never been to huge on this card, and really you only need so much, if any, redirection in your deck. You have cheaper (granted, less powerful) redirection in this deck, so I would recommend just swapping this specific one out for Fuel for the Cause. More Proliferate and more counter magic is always good.
I won't suggest any more until you see these and gauge whether or not these would be good cuts and replacements. I know there is more you could do if you wanted to, so let's just see what you think so far before we get too crazy here! Haha. Keep me updated on what you're thinking, man! Always enjoy helping other players.
2 months ago
Good start. Things to remember:
Always always ALWAYS put Sol Ring into your deck.
You're deck is light on removal. You're going to want to have cards that destroy important creatures, artifacts, and enchantments (I don't know how much enchantment removal is in red, but it's important to have if you can find it).
Because Call the Skybreaker has blue on the card, you can't use him in your mono red commander deck. Unfortunately split cards are both colors.
4 months ago
megaPisces13 The cards I took out are these:
Gigantoplasm, Broodbirth Viper, Illusory Ambusher, Lone Revenant, Warchief Giant Goblin Electromancer, Charmbreaker Devils, Arjun, the Shifting Flame <-(Might be worth keeping), Etherium-Horn Sorcerer, Melek, Izzet Paragon, Dragon Mage.
Echoing Truth, Desperate Ravings, Reins of Power, Steam Augury, Word of Seizing, Aethersnatch, Magmaquake, Act of Aggression, DominateFor artifacts its a toss up, but I got rid of Seal of the Guildpact.
Get rid of all three enchantments.
I'll just put this is as a block text. Dig Through Time, Pieces of the Puzzle, Void Shatter, Swiftfoot Boots (or Lightning Greaves, if you prefer, thought you can go with both), Whispers of the Muse, Mystical Tutor, Part the Waterveil, Scour from Existence, Commit / Memory, Desolate Lighthouse, Cyclonic Rift, Tezzeret's Gambit, Mirrorpool, Disallow, Insidious Will, Shivan Reef, Spirebluff Canal, Metallurgic Summonings, Temple of Epiphany, Reiterate, Past in Flames, Learn from the Past, Meekstone, Epiphany at the Drownyard, Ponder, Merchant Scroll, Blasphemous Act, Mnemonic Nexus, Treasure Cruise, Guttersnipe, The Locust God, Wheel of Fate, Reforge the Soul, Sky Diamond, Expropriate, Insurrection, Caldera Lake, Halimar Depths
If you want some other upgrades to make this deck truly yours, you can go to EDHRec (https://edhrec.com/commanders/mizzix-of-the-izmagnus) to see what else you want to do. My deck is by no means the end all be all of upgrades. Keep it fun and make it work for you. :)
6 months ago
Since you're playing 2 colors I don't think the vivid lands and the hideaway lands are very usefull (I'm not much of a fan of the hideaway lands). You can replace those with normal lands, maybe you could also drop to 37 lands.
Call the Skybreaker is very expensive for it's effect... even if you can cast it multiple times.
You could run Young Pyromancer to make extra tokens.
Otherwise: Spellheart Chimera, Mind's Desire, maybe also run Swiftfoot Boots to protect your commander from removal. You could also just run some extra counterspells together with Baral, Chief of Compliance as he reduces the cost of your instants and sorceries while also drawing cards when you counter something.
8 months ago
I don't know your meta, but for it seems there are too much counterspells included. May aim for 8 to 9. Also i would reduce the lands from 39 to 34 or 35 and add card draw for them. Personally, i would neither run Call the Skybreaker nor Omniscience, because they are very expensive for what they do - first one is only 5/5 and when you can cast Omniscience you should won the game due to Mizzix cost reduction. Also Galvanoth is not working with all the x spells, because x will be equal 0. May add Beacon of Tomorrows, Gut Shot or Fall of the Titans for fetchability and some draw spells.
8 months ago
Past in Flames and Burning Vengeance might be solid additions. Help you out on the burn plan and just help recast cards in your graveyard. Runic Repetition may also be worth considering, but it's limited to cards cast with Flashback. Some Retrace spells seem solid too. Specifically Call the Skybreaker, Oona's Grace, Syphon Life, and maaaybe Spitting Image and Worm Harvest. Baral, Chief of Compliance would basically be an easier to cast Goblin Electromancer here as well. Also maybe Meletis Charlatan, since it's like Geistblast's copy ability on a stick.