|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Eternal Masters (EMA)||Rare|
|Masters Edition (MED)||Common|
|Classic Sixth Edition (6ED)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Each player shuffles his or her hand and graveyard into his or her library. You exil the top ten cards of your library. Then each player draws up to seven cards.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (15)||angesoir , duff87 , admizell , Mortiferus_Rosa , LegendDeer , philktoken8998 , Unlife , golgarigirl , rockleemyhero , Poptartz95 , thetechzombie , darthnuchi , sonnet666 , DrLitebur , Famicomania|
Diminishing Returns Discussion
5 months ago
Hello Dan, do you consider Day's Undoing a strict upgrade to Diminishing Returns in this list? I can see how it would be bad to exile any part of your one combo. I'm running Diminishing Returns as a budget replacement in my Jeleva storm list, and was curious on your thoughts.
5 months ago
yes Dramatic Reversal as a standalone is that good. i underestimated it too. i only played it because of the scepter combo first but then i drew it during games in various situations and boy its a hell of a ritual. playing scepter imo is more of an option but i definitely had it in games complete dead rotting in my hand. so its your choice.
and yes play Lotus Petal. didnt notice it in the first place. to underline how good it is: it is a Black Lotus sometimes. you can use it to play Doomsday and have it included with yawgmoth's will in your pile to use it 3 times in a single turn.
but before adding just only mana (which is good mana) i think your deck is a little light on threat density. i understand the budget thing but just playing more interaction in stead of business is not the best especially as your commander isnt a card-engine like tymna. look out for Praetor's Grasp to be a potential budget grim tutor with upsides. atleast Dimir Machinations or Diabolic Tutor as tutors or Diminishing Returns / Whispering Madness as additional wheels for drawing a full grip again. i know they are suboptimal but under restricted budget going to light on business is worse than going for little worse businees but atleast having enough redundancy to keep fireing at your opponents if need be.
5 months ago
Finally got a chance to sit down and edit the decklist. I removed Izzet Boilerworks, Call the Skybreaker, Inexorable Tide, Syncopate, and Clash of Wills. Tezzeret's Gambit, Diminishing Returns, Fuel for the Cause, and Mystic Remora were put in. I see what you mean about the X counterspells, but having a few to generate experience counters are nice. If the deck runs correctly, Master the Way should be dealing an absurd amount of damage as long as I'm not top decking. Ravaging Blaze is just good budgeted spot removal and burn. Spelltwine happens to be super versatile when it comes to my graveyard, and there is going to be at least 1 good sorcery and instant in 3 other plays graveyards. I'm on the fence on Wild Ricochet as I see what you are saying.
5 months ago
Kokrem & brian.olson542 - Days Undoing isn't the best option unfortunately, you really want it to be on your turn. I would probably replace it with Mizzix's Mastery or another draw 7 such as Diminishing Returns or Reforge the Soul.
5 months ago
So this will be the same as my above comment. Anything I mention here does not mean that they are bad cards, rather I personally think they are less efficient for your deck's goals and strategies.
These are some cards I would look into cutting/replacing: Show
- Personally, I'm not huge on this card. Two 5/5 flyers is okay for blocking, but with all the control this deck puts out it doesn't really matter if you have chumps in the air. Plus, losing land drops/mana means casting less things, which is never good.
- All are good cards, but lose their strength when you don't have Mizzix out. Additionally, they aren't hard counters. Meaning that if your opponent does have the mana to sink into it, you're out of luck. Swan Song, Red Elemental Blast, and/or Pyroblast could be good replacements.
- I know this one seems crazy to take out, but really after you get so many XP counters, getting extra counters doesn't really matter. I see that Tezzeret's Gambit is in the side board, so I would say through that in here instead. That can be free card draw, while also providing Proliferate.
- Additionally, you get no discount on casting this 5 drop. Mystic Remora could also be considered as a replacement for this, because early game that card can essentially be Ancestral Recall in one turn rotation.
- I hate the bounce lands because they set you so far behind tempo. I honestly think running 36 lands will be fine for this deck, so I recommend cutting this in favor of one of the cheap draw cards (which help land drop consistency).
- This is alright, but without the Mizzix discount this is pretty pricy to draw a card and deal some amount of damage. It has a high ceiling of dealing a chunk of damage, but it can definitely be a dead card sometimes.
- Not a bad card, but Diminishing Returns is probably a better card overall, so I'd say just swap these out.
- You will most likely hit the Spell Mastery, but I hate how it is an X spell that has to be set up in order to not be solely creature removal. I'd say take this out for Pyroblast or Red Elemental Blast, in my opinion.
- This can be a huge whiff, and the lack of control you have over the kind of deck your opponent plays/what is in their graveyard makes this too unreliable. Your play group may make this card playable, so in that case keep it. If not, it might be too expensive CMC-wise to justify the variance this card has.
- I know that this is essentially Ancestral Recall, but I think that Dig Through Time is the better card between the two because of its instant speed. It gives you more cards insight for better selection as well.
- Similar to Pull from the Deep, just having Diminishing Returns in here replaced the need for both of these cards.
- I've never been to huge on this card, and really you only need so much, if any, redirection in your deck. You have cheaper (granted, less powerful) redirection in this deck, so I would recommend just swapping this specific one out for Fuel for the Cause. More Proliferate and more counter magic is always good.
I won't suggest any more until you see these and gauge whether or not these would be good cuts and replacements. I know there is more you could do if you wanted to, so let's just see what you think so far before we get too crazy here! Haha. Keep me updated on what you're thinking, man! Always enjoy helping other players.
5 months ago
Typically early game for decks like this is a bunch of card draw and control. Having enough counter magic and using it to stop threats that will end the game or put you at such a disadvantage that you can't return from.
The card drawing is for you to add XP counters on Mizzix and draw into your win cons or combos (if you decide to run any).
Some staple cards under $5 (that you still don't have to include, but are just good) are: Show
But again, these are not cards that you have to include! If you put half of them, all of them, or none of them into the deck it will be fine! Some of these are dependent on your play group (like Pyroblast and Red Elemental Blast requiring a blue player in your group), but hopefully some of these you can find useful!
8 months ago
For Crosis's Catacombs and Crumbling Necropolis:
For Time Spiral, Exsanguinate & Torment of Hailfire :
9 months ago
Agieryna: That is the primary reason, yes :) Two other reasons, however - I want to be able to interact with certain abilities (notably the cycling of Decree of Annihilation and the activated ability of Aetherflux Reservoir), and I want a card with a jackal on it in the deck (I'm an unashamed furry).
rkjunior: Yeah, the high mana cost, high blue devotion, and summoning sickness ruin the card for me in this build :( At least Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind does something when not able to tap, and still goes infinite with Mind Over Matter.
weiman: Will do! :)