|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Duel Decks: Mind vs Might||Rare|
|Dragons of Tarkir||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Return target instant or sorcery card from your graveyard to your hand. Volcanic Vision deals damage equal to that card's converted mana cost to each creature your opponents control. Exile Volcanic Vision.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (17)||Dr.Jackel , ZombieFood , Ellyreia , Dr_Jay , philktoken8998 , Nemesis , mazrimtaim , TheAlmostHero , thetechzombie , Grantley91 , rakdos24 , golgarigirl , GeminiSpartanX , Caldazar , ironax , sonnet666 , gildan_bladeborn|
Volcanic Vision Discussion
2 weeks ago
It would be helpful in evaluating the deck if your description actually went in to more detail about your intended game plan and the interactions that the deck is built around. Without that information, it's hard to evaluate some of your choices.
Also, there's a lot of card choices here that are not great EDH cards. In some ways, this list looks a lot like if what you'd get if you took a reasonable 60-card constructed Izzet spells deck and brought it up to 100 cards by adding similar versions of the stuff that was great in the 60 card deck. Things like Rift Bolt, Vapor Snag, Delver of Secrets Flip and Monastery Swiftspear tend to be much worse in EDH than in normal games for a couple reasons:
- As a 40-life format, they're almost trivial when pointed at face. Shock only does the work of Gut Shot.
- Since the format tends to be slower, mana pools are larger and cheap, efficent spells that are so good in 60-card are massively outclassed by more powerful, more flexible options at higher CMCs. That's not to say that running a handful of cheap removals or counters isn't good, but you run a few of them to deal with very specific must-answer threats. They're not your bread and butter.
I'd also recommend cutting Browbeat. In EDH, nobody is really too sad to take 5. If you want to draw 3 cards, Treasure Cruise is just going to be insanely better. Mana Leak and Censor are probably going to be dead a huge portion of the time as well. Slightly more expensive hard counters are generally going to be better (or something like Arcane Denial, which is really good in EDH.
In terms of mana base, you probably want more mana rocks, too. While your average CMC isn't very high, your payoff cards are all pretty expensive and in a lot of cases, you're going to need to be casting a bunch of spells in a turn to really get things done. At the very least, I'd recommend adding Sol Ring and Izzet Signet. You might also consider something like Mind Stone or maybe even Dreamstone Hedron.
All that out of the way, there's some cards you might consider adding:
- Aetherflux Reservoir is a really common EDH storm-style deck win con. You don't need to gain much life to kill a player with it.
- Blasphemous Act is one of the best red board wipes (not sure if it'd be in budget or not)
- Burnished Hart is an all-around great ramp card
- Charmbreaker Devils is a huge threat that also gives you more spells to cast
- Docent of Perfection Flip fills a similar role to Talrand, which is one of the best cards in the deck already
- Echo Mage is an option for spell copying if you want to go really deep (probably the worst copier of what I've listed here)
- Empty the Warrens can flood the board pretty efficiently at the end of a big turn
- Insidious Will is a great counterspell in EDH
- Mana Geyser is absurdly broken in multiplayer EDH. It's more broken online where people tap out to F8, but it's still pretty good and can lead to an absurd Comet Storm.
- Nivix Guildmage is another way to copy spells wherever you need a mana sink
- Red Sun's Zenith is a repeatable Fireball
- Reverberate is incredibly flexible and cheap enough to be able to hold up easily
- Rise from the Tides is frequently a "board wipe or bust" level card in these kinds of decks
- Rite of Replication may be out of budget, but can win games on its own
- Seething Song is basically a free spells for triggering any of your payoff cards and can ramp to bigger X spells
- Spelltwine gives you 3 spell casts on its own
- Sphinx-Bone Wand gives incidental damage as you cast spells. You can frequently kill an opponent in one big turn with it.
- Temporal Fissure can utterly blow people out at the end of a big turn
- Treasure Cruise is legal in EDH and still utterly busted
- Volcanic Vision can be a one-sided board wipe
- Wild Ricochet is a super fun card in this sort of deck
Good luck with the deck :)
4 weeks ago
The Rebound ability won't get a chance to do anything.
The full rules text of Rebound says "if this spell was cast from your hand, instead of putting it into your graveyard as it resolves, exile it and, at the beginning of your next upkeep, you may cast this card from exile without paying its mana cost". The use of the word "instead" means this is a replacement effect (replacing going to the graveyard with going to exile) that also creates a delayed triggered ability (the part starting with "at"). Since Volcanic Vision never starts to try to go to the graveyard as it resolves that means the replacement effect from Rebound can't be applied and the delayed trigger doesn't get created.
4 weeks ago
If I have Cast Through Time out and I cast Volcanic Vision will volcanic vision have rebound even though it exiled itself as it resolves or does the fact that it exiled itself prevent it from gaining rebound?
1 month ago
Used to have it in my old version of Rakdos deck, if you have both colors, then you get both effects - nobody expects turn 1 Unleashed Cackler turning into 4/4 beater with First Strike and Wither :D
Also remove Volcanic Vision and Nightmare from sideboard to make some space for things that you'll actually need like Thunderous Wrath, another Cage or Nihil Spellbomb
3 months ago
You're quite invested in the deck it seems so I'll note some of the changes I've made. I recently added Siege-Gang Commander but it just got cut. Doesn't have enough impact, I feel. You already know about the removal of All Is Dust, but this deck was really hurting in the board wipe category. I somehow forgot the existence of Oblivion Stone and Nevinyrral's Disk so I've added those. Plus you can get some serious mileage out of them with Goblin Welder. To make room for those I also took out Volcanic Vision. I haven't had much use for it honestly. As nice as putting a Wheel of Fortune or something back into my hand is, there's plenty of other wheel effects in the deck. And finally, with the addition of those board wipes I took out Nahiri's Wrath. I think it's a great card but is a dead draw with no other cards in hand (which is common) or if there's few creatures on the board (also common). With the extra slot I added Sensei's Divining Top because being able to filter the cards I draw is incredibly useful.
4 months ago
erstmal eins vornweg :) yidris ist einer der strksten multiplayer Comander ever.. also herzlichen Glckqunsch zu Ihrer Wahl, es war die richtige. (einer der top 8)ein wichtiges vornweg.. du willst (vor allem in deinen niedrigen cmc nur dinge haben die IMMER gut sind. wre ja schade wenn du grad was castest... freust dich auf deinen Cascade trigger UUUNDNDD Prosperity .. oh nix passiert. Damit kommen wir auch gleich zur ersten Karten . Prosperity Raus. ohne wenn und aber :)Ich wrde sogar fast sagen das Terminate und Rakdos Charm nicht uneingeschrenkt gut sind.. weil ohne Kreaturen aufm board.. :)
bei mir im Deck rette ich viel durch wieder auf die hand schicken und den Gegnern dann quasi die sachen weg wheelen :)das funzt ganz gut und du kommst schnell an deine key cards... schau dir mal mein Deck an wenn du magst
Volcanic Vision macht zu wenig fr die Mana kostenParting Thoughts ist nicht immer gutDecree of Pain omg wie geil an die habe ich noch gar nicht gedacht Deine Kreaturen mag ich eigentlich alle gern :) auch sonst gibts nicht ziel zu verbessern. Vlt. hier und da noch mal was Massenhaft Zeugs bei gegnern los wird.. (Yidris wird am tisch nie sonderlich gemocht)
4 months ago
Here are some cards that I might immediately cut:
Academy Elite, Aeon Chronicler, Bloodbraid Elf, Bogardan Hellkite, Breaker of Armies, Dragon Mage, Flameblast Dragon, Hamletback Goliath, Hermit of the Natterknolls Flip, Horizon Chimera, Hypersonic Dragon, Inkwell Leviathan, Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur, Keranos, God of Storms, Kruphix, God of Horizons, Lorescale Coatl, Magus of the Future, Melek, Izzet Paragon, Memnarch, Mindwrack Liege, Murkfiend Liege, Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind, Nylea, God of the Hunt, Psychosis Crawler, Purphoros, God of the Forge, Quicksilver Gargantuan, Rishkar, Peema Renegade, Scute Mob, Servant of the Conduit, Shipbreaker Kraken, Simic Sky Swallower, Somberwald Stag, Spellbreaker Behemoth, Spellheart Chimera, Surrak Dragonclaw, Talrand, Sky Summoner, Thassa, God of the Sea, Thromok the Insatiable, Tireless Tracker, Verdant Force, Vexing Shusher, Wall of Blossoms, Whisperwood Elemental, Wistful Selkie, Xenagos, God of Revels, Clan Defiance, Crater's Claws, Devastation Tide, Minds Aglow, Mizzix's Mastery, Reforge the Soul, Release the Gremlins, Seismic Stomp, Shamanic Revelation, Sylvan Scrying, Traverse the Ulvenwald, Unexpected Results, Urban Evolution, Volcanic Vision, Wheel of Fate, Arcane Denial, Clip Wings, Counterflux, Counterspell, Cyclonic Rift, Desertion, Disallow, Disdainful Stroke, Evacuation, Heroic Intervention, Insidious Will, Krosan Grip, Naturalize, Negate, Plasm Capture, Sulfurous Blast, Trap Essence, Turn Aside, Unsubstantiate, Visions of Beyond, Void Shatter, Voidslime, and TBH there are simply too many things to cut to list them all because my fingers are getting tired. I'd cut most of your planeswalkers, most of your non-ramp artifacts, and most of your enchantments.
My primary piece of advice here is that 1) You really should choose to prioritize abusing creatures OR spells, not both, because there are simply too few slots, and 2) you want your spells/creatures to do things in multiples. You don't need too much draw here because your mana is tied up doubling splashy spells, but you need a heck of a lot of mana ramp to keep up.
I don't mean to sound curt, sorry :( Hope this was at least a bit helpful! I agree with Lilbrudder that it's simply too many cards to reasonably cut down, and that you should take a little time and find a focus for the deck.
5 months ago
Amendment to last note: