|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Duel Decks: Mind vs Might (DDS)||Rare|
|Commander 2016 (C16)||Rare|
|Dragons of Tarkir (DTK)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Return target instant or sorcery card from your graveyard to your hand. Volcanic Vision deals damage equal to that card's converted mana cost to each creature your opponents control. Exile Volcanic Vision.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (25)||Dr.Jackel , ZombieFood , Ellyreia , Dr_Jay , Nemesis , joshw335 , zn.tportlock , Atroxreaper , Grantley91 , thetechzombie , darthnuchi , Caldazar , ironax , RPG_FOX , gildan_bladeborn , sonnet666 , ShishkyBob , Supremespeed , TheAlmostHero , SirCorey , mazrimtaim , philktoken8998 , golgarigirl , rakdos24 , GeminiSpartanX|
Volcanic Vision Discussion
1 month ago
You should check the Gatherer page for a card before asking a question here, as the rulings there already answer some of the most common confusions:
If a spell that exiles itself as part of its own resolution, such as Volcanic Vision, gains rebound, the ability that lets you cast the spell again wont be created. The spell will simply be exiled.
1 month ago
So this will be the same as my above comment. Anything I mention here does not mean that they are bad cards, rather I personally think they are less efficient for your deck's goals and strategies.
These are some cards I would look into cutting/replacing: Show
- Personally, I'm not huge on this card. Two 5/5 flyers is okay for blocking, but with all the control this deck puts out it doesn't really matter if you have chumps in the air. Plus, losing land drops/mana means casting less things, which is never good.
- All are good cards, but lose their strength when you don't have Mizzix out. Additionally, they aren't hard counters. Meaning that if your opponent does have the mana to sink into it, you're out of luck. Swan Song, Red Elemental Blast, and/or Pyroblast could be good replacements.
- I know this one seems crazy to take out, but really after you get so many XP counters, getting extra counters doesn't really matter. I see that Tezzeret's Gambit is in the side board, so I would say through that in here instead. That can be free card draw, while also providing Proliferate.
- Additionally, you get no discount on casting this 5 drop. Mystic Remora could also be considered as a replacement for this, because early game that card can essentially be Ancestral Recall in one turn rotation.
- I hate the bounce lands because they set you so far behind tempo. I honestly think running 36 lands will be fine for this deck, so I recommend cutting this in favor of one of the cheap draw cards (which help land drop consistency).
- This is alright, but without the Mizzix discount this is pretty pricy to draw a card and deal some amount of damage. It has a high ceiling of dealing a chunk of damage, but it can definitely be a dead card sometimes.
- Not a bad card, but Diminishing Returns is probably a better card overall, so I'd say just swap these out.
- You will most likely hit the Spell Mastery, but I hate how it is an X spell that has to be set up in order to not be solely creature removal. I'd say take this out for Pyroblast or Red Elemental Blast, in my opinion.
- This can be a huge whiff, and the lack of control you have over the kind of deck your opponent plays/what is in their graveyard makes this too unreliable. Your play group may make this card playable, so in that case keep it. If not, it might be too expensive CMC-wise to justify the variance this card has.
- I know that this is essentially Ancestral Recall, but I think that Dig Through Time is the better card between the two because of its instant speed. It gives you more cards insight for better selection as well.
- Similar to Pull from the Deep, just having Diminishing Returns in here replaced the need for both of these cards.
- I've never been to huge on this card, and really you only need so much, if any, redirection in your deck. You have cheaper (granted, less powerful) redirection in this deck, so I would recommend just swapping this specific one out for Fuel for the Cause. More Proliferate and more counter magic is always good.
I won't suggest any more until you see these and gauge whether or not these would be good cuts and replacements. I know there is more you could do if you wanted to, so let's just see what you think so far before we get too crazy here! Haha. Keep me updated on what you're thinking, man! Always enjoy helping other players.
2 months ago
Thank you for the kind words Calyptic :)
I dug up my Firemind deck so here's a few more suggestions:
Epic Experiment - Awesome fun late game when you can cast it for eight or ten mana!
Jori En, Ruin Diver - More cards = More damage :D
Invoke the Firemind - Gotta have flava!
Firemind's Foresight - Great tutor & more flava!
Steam Augury - Arguably the best Izzet card out there.
Counterflux - An uncounterable Counterspell is solid.
Hypersonic Dragon - Sorceries as Instants? Hell yeah!
Volcanic Vision - Graveyard recursion & boardwipe.
Rite of Replication - When kicked it can be a Wincon ;)
Winter Orb - Nasty late game lock that hurts opponents.
Finally, I have to agree with Jimmy_Chinchila- you need to add a few more lands, six more Mountains to bring you to a total of 35-36 lands is highly recommended. Have fun :D
3 months ago
I love this deck! I really like when people go off the beaten track and come up with something original in their decks and I also like when cards in a deck synergize well with each other instead of being powerful good-stuff cards and you certainly accomplished both of these with this deck.
It is hard for me to give advice on deck without play-testing, so I will just write down some cards that seem to fit your deck well, but you will know better if they are actually worth playing.
Argent Mutation seems to fit your everything-needs-to-be-an-artifact sub-theme and can be cycled away if needed.
Callous Oppressor definitely fits the theme and has fun little interaction with other players.
Bribery doesn't have great synergy with the deck (it's more of a good-stuff card), but it is a fun card and fits the theme perfectly.
I would add some sac-outlet, because you only have Goblin Bombardment and Bazaar Trader (he is not a sac-outlet but he fulfills the same role). I only found Grafted Wargear but there have to be some better ones.
I will add some points here if I have any more ideas :)
3 months ago
If you want Instant/sorcery tribal, try Epic Experiment. It's absolutely mindblowing because you can cast so many cards off of the top without paying their mana costs if you get the X up high enough.
Personally, if you're making a Melek deck, I'd suggest slimming way down on creatures. Instants and sorceries are the show here, but here are a few creature suggestions, to help with Instant/sorcery casting:Hypersonic Dragon turns all of your sorceries into instants, very good for any Izzet spell-based decks.For sideboard, Baral, Chief of Compliance is something to consider. He gives the nice RU draw/discard ability when you counter something, and he slims the cost on instants/sorceries.Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir not only slows your opponent but makes cards like said Hypersonic Dragon be able to be cast at instant speed.
Now to the spells. They aren't all instants and sorceries, but that is the main focus of the deck.Leyline of Anticipation is just great all around.Cards like Swarm Intelligence are great, especially because if you cast the spell from you library, it stacks with Melek's ability. I noticed you have SI in your deck but there are more like that.Cast Through Time is fun, but it is a bit slow and such.Jace's Sanctum is not only a great early-game spell slimmer, but it also lets you dig a card to put instants and sorceries on top, to allow you to get Melek's trigger.Metallurgic Summonings: This card is absolutely broken in commander. I'll say no more.Mystical Tutor is so broken here it's not even funny.Past in Flames gives everything in your graveyard Flashback, which is so broken. Everything is broken here lol.Spelltwine lets you recast a spell from yours and an opponent's graveyard which is so good. You get something back for free and potentially a huge bomb from some other player's graveyard for free. Auto include right there.Volcanic Vision deals a ton of damage to all creatures and gets you a card back. It's ok, I'm including for fun.
4 months ago
To win the strategy is all about timing as is Jhoira's ability, also certain spells such as Enter the Infinite, Mind's Desire, Firemind's Foresight, can help with this. A good example of this is the card; Opportunity. The deck strategy relies not only on timing but certain powerful card combos such as Volcanic Vision - Treasure Cruise, or others such as Key to the City - Damping Engine SUGGESTIONS WELCOME. I will be updating this with more powerful card combos. THANK YOU!*
5 months ago
It would be helpful in evaluating the deck if your description actually went in to more detail about your intended game plan and the interactions that the deck is built around. Without that information, it's hard to evaluate some of your choices.
Also, there's a lot of card choices here that are not great EDH cards. In some ways, this list looks a lot like if what you'd get if you took a reasonable 60-card constructed Izzet spells deck and brought it up to 100 cards by adding similar versions of the stuff that was great in the 60 card deck. Things like Rift Bolt, Vapor Snag, Delver of Secrets Flip and Monastery Swiftspear tend to be much worse in EDH than in normal games for a couple reasons:
- As a 40-life format, they're almost trivial when pointed at face. Shock only does the work of Gut Shot.
- Since the format tends to be slower, mana pools are larger and cheap, efficent spells that are so good in 60-card are massively outclassed by more powerful, more flexible options at higher CMCs. That's not to say that running a handful of cheap removals or counters isn't good, but you run a few of them to deal with very specific must-answer threats. They're not your bread and butter.
I'd also recommend cutting Browbeat. In EDH, nobody is really too sad to take 5. If you want to draw 3 cards, Treasure Cruise is just going to be insanely better. Mana Leak and Censor are probably going to be dead a huge portion of the time as well. Slightly more expensive hard counters are generally going to be better (or something like Arcane Denial, which is really good in EDH.
In terms of mana base, you probably want more mana rocks, too. While your average CMC isn't very high, your payoff cards are all pretty expensive and in a lot of cases, you're going to need to be casting a bunch of spells in a turn to really get things done. At the very least, I'd recommend adding Sol Ring and Izzet Signet. You might also consider something like Mind Stone or maybe even Dreamstone Hedron.
All that out of the way, there's some cards you might consider adding:
- Aetherflux Reservoir is a really common EDH storm-style deck win con. You don't need to gain much life to kill a player with it.
- Blasphemous Act is one of the best red board wipes (not sure if it'd be in budget or not)
- Burnished Hart is an all-around great ramp card
- Charmbreaker Devils is a huge threat that also gives you more spells to cast
- Docent of Perfection Flip fills a similar role to Talrand, which is one of the best cards in the deck already
- Echo Mage is an option for spell copying if you want to go really deep (probably the worst copier of what I've listed here)
- Empty the Warrens can flood the board pretty efficiently at the end of a big turn
- Insidious Will is a great counterspell in EDH
- Mana Geyser is absurdly broken in multiplayer EDH. It's more broken online where people tap out to F8, but it's still pretty good and can lead to an absurd Comet Storm.
- Nivix Guildmage is another way to copy spells wherever you need a mana sink
- Red Sun's Zenith is a repeatable Fireball
- Reverberate is incredibly flexible and cheap enough to be able to hold up easily
- Rise from the Tides is frequently a "board wipe or bust" level card in these kinds of decks
- Rite of Replication may be out of budget, but can win games on its own
- Seething Song is basically a free spells for triggering any of your payoff cards and can ramp to bigger X spells
- Spelltwine gives you 3 spell casts on its own
- Sphinx-Bone Wand gives incidental damage as you cast spells. You can frequently kill an opponent in one big turn with it.
- Temporal Fissure can utterly blow people out at the end of a big turn
- Treasure Cruise is legal in EDH and still utterly busted
- Volcanic Vision can be a one-sided board wipe
- Wild Ricochet is a super fun card in this sort of deck
Good luck with the deck :)
6 months ago
The Rebound ability won't get a chance to do anything.
The full rules text of Rebound says "if this spell was cast from your hand, instead of putting it into your graveyard as it resolves, exile it and, at the beginning of your next upkeep, you may cast this card from exile without paying its mana cost". The use of the word "instead" means this is a replacement effect (replacing going to the graveyard with going to exile) that also creates a delayed triggered ability (the part starting with "at"). Since Volcanic Vision never starts to try to go to the graveyard as it resolves that means the replacement effect from Rebound can't be applied and the delayed trigger doesn't get created.