|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Modern Masters 2017 Edition||Mythic Rare|
|Modern Masters 2015 Edition||Mythic Rare|
|Modern Masters||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Lhurgoyf
Tarmogoyf's power is equal to the number of card types among cards in all graveyards and its toughness is equal to that number plus 1. (The card types are artifact, creature, enchantment, instant, land, phenomenon, plane, planeswalker, scheme, sorcery, tribal, and vanguard.)
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (3)||sirbar , CampbellStev , Tyqar|
|Want (7)||SamCre1993 , demonicgrizzly , Dadaman11 , Skulldrey , firemind12 , Spinalripper , TheRealPeaches|
15 hours ago
Just a thought, Grim Flayer? Seems good in a deck like this. Personally, I would either go for the playset of Mishra's Bauble or none at all, simply for consistency reasons (Just my opinion). There's also a neat little card called Architects of Will.. Mainly gonna be used for cycling in a deck like this, but it gets both Artifact and Creature type into grave.Also, I would consider dropping a Liliana of the Veil for a single Liliana, the Last Hope. Her +1 kills/shuts down a large number of creatures in the format, as well as allowing you to win Tarmogoyf wars.
Anyways, these suggestions are more for a graveyard based build, but this already looks great as is :)
1 day ago
Jhed1 - I think that I currently would want to stay with hand-disruption - thus why I don't have much (any) counter-magic.
Seeing as I want to play discard, 4x Liliana of the Veil seems like the right move, but I very well may cut one or even 2 if I decide to move else-where with my deck.
Thought Scour - See above
Mishra's Bauble - I feel that this is still relevant with Tarmogoyf, but I may cut down to 2... If I do decide to go more creature based, I may think of adding Traverse the Ulvenwald, but currently, I don't think it is in the right place with this deck.
Dark Confidant - Once again, trying to decide over Bob or Jace, Vryn's Prodigy Flip. Although Bob is SPECTACULAR card advantage, I take enough damage the way it is with my lads (which could change), and Jace provides the threat of flipping as well as looting.
Thanks for your input!
1 day ago
Ok so this is my haul from Modern Masters after 3 drafts, and a box... how'd I do? I spent 165gbp on my box, then 30gbp on each draft, so 255gbp in total
- Basilisk Collar
- Scalding Tarn
- Phantasmal Image
- Might of Old Krosa x3
- Inquisition of Kozilek x2
- Verdant Catacombs x2
- Abrupt Decay
- Serum Visions x3
- Craterhoof Behemoth
- Misty Rainforest
- Sphinx's Revelation
- Entreat the Angels
- Temporal Mastery
- Path to Exile
- Spell Pierce
- a bunch of signets that I've been after
1 day ago
Hello my friend, it has been some time.
Very well said my friend. I agree that 2x Maelstrom Pulse is not where it should end, but I certainly believe it to be better than Jund's 1x of. It also helps with combo and tokens being a 360 card--planeswalkers too. I think Slaughter Pact really deserves some consideration. It is tremendously useful with Snapcaster Mage. Murderous Cut is phenomenal! I opted out of the Delve package, per this 75. I'll be sure to get around to looking it up!
Thank you for the support!
1 day ago
1) Run more than 16 lands. Not even Merfolk can properly function on 16 lands. And don't just use basics. Oboro, Palace in the Clouds, Mutavault, and Cavern of Souls fit great in a Merfolk build, and Wanderwine Hub, in addition to entering untapped for two colors, can reveal a threat from your hand that your opponent may need to play around.
3) Don't play black in a Merfolk build. If you're absolutely set on using another color, I personally would recommend white for Path to Exile, Mana Tithe, and Brave the Elements. White would also get the most value out of Wanderwine Hub. But, if you insist on using black, the spells you've chosen aren't going to cut it in modern. Dead Weight won't kill Tarmogoyfs, Hero's Downfall is way too expensive, and Appetite for Brains misses 99% of the relevant threats. In modern, the magic number is 3. That's where most of the curves top out. Thus, Appetite misses everything at or below the magic number. Personally, if I had to use black in a Merfolk build, I'd be running Dismember, Inquisition of Kozilek, maybe a couple Thoughtseize, and Fatal Push. I'd also run one or two Gut Shots for insurance, but that's just me. Of course, this all assumes that you play another color in your deck. If it were me, I'd stay mono-blue.
4) Aether Vial. Perfect card for this deck. Put it on two and keep pumping out creatures.
5) Merfolk Sovereign doesn't do enough work in this deck. It's 3 mana for the same effect as the two-mana lords (Master of the Pearl Trident and Lord of Atlantis), and its second ability is useless. Run Master of Waves or Harbinger of the Tides instead.
6) Cursecatcher. This is your one-drop. It kicks ass in this format.
7) I'd suggest maybe running some amount of Vapor Snags mainboard. It's really effective.
8) Hurkyl's Recall is a great sideboard option against Affinity. Ghost Quarter and Tectonic Edge shut down Tron. Gut Shot is great against a lot of faster decks. Tidebinder Mage is great against Burn and anything with Tarmogoyf. Spell Pierce for removal-heavy decks and Relic of Progenitus hoses graveyard shenanigans. Ceremonious Rejection for Tron and Affinity. Unsubstantiate and Flashfreeze if the matchup demands it. Unified Will, Echoing Truth, and Sea's Claim are all viable sideboard options as well.
9) I'd suggest you consult my list as well as the MTGSalvation primer for Merfolk
1 day ago
Hey bud been a while,
I actually found Tasigur, the Golden Fang pairs nicely with Grim Flayer. For my current build I normally have no issue getting delerium when I need it. Keeping it is a simple matter of managing your grave. However ever so conveniently Grim Flayer happens to dump a lot of cards to the yard and sometimes you don't need them there so you can delve away maintaining delirium. Cards like Murderous Cut help our color combination deal with creatures outside of Abrupt Decay and Fatal Push range. Which is important. Having more than just 1-2 Maelstrom Pulse to deal with "anything big" helps a lot.
Also while doing the normal (control?) Attrition midrangey gameplan of managing the board. You get delerium most times. And have an excess left over for Snapcaster Mage food.
What I have found though is you don't want to overload on graveyard things. So having Tarmogoyf Grim Flayer and delve is bad you pick 2 of the 3 and are fine. Snapcaster Mage is always fine if or not great and most of the reason grave hate will be brought in against us.
So in quick TLDR summary for ease and clarification.
Snapcaster Mage always:
Delve + flayer is ok long as you don't have goyf.
Goyf and flayer is fine long as you don't have delve or minimal amount.
Delve and goyf is fine as long as you don't have flayer.
In essence tarmo and flayer aren't getting along near tasigur monkey fish cut. However the delving party is ok with one or the other but not both.
This comes from my extensive testing along with consensus from a group I manage over on facebook: MTG Modern BUG
God find us over there and I'll be more than willing to welcome you to the fold!
2 days ago
GBx Interaction: I'll Inquisition of Kozilekfirst so that way I can set up my Thoughtseize for turn 2. I'll flash in this Snapcaster Mage to block Tarmogoyf And flash back Lightning Bolt to finish it. I'm going to sandbag my lands to insulate my drawstep from Kolaghan's Command And Liliana of the Veil
Lantern interaction: oh that's a Kolaghan's Command, I'm gonna mill it as it is a threat to my strategy. Snap keep Stony Silence Or I hope he runs out of millrocks in the next 100 turns so I can maybe top deck a Creeping Corrosion See the difference?
2 days ago
First and foremost--thank you.
Eternal Witness is a card that my brother keeps on encouraging, however, I have just felt that Snapcaster Mage at a grand total of 3 mana can do something like Fatal Push on the same turn it entered. Witness is a good card in general. I think it would be too slow here, but better off in a "combo-y" deck, with "pieces."
Tasigur, the Golden Fang is a really good card. On my description for the deck--you will notice there is a tab with "Deck Before Banning." It had 2-3 Tasigurs, with a couple of Hooting Mandrills, and Gurmag Angler. I have used it before and as you and many, many others pointed out--it is a "non-bo" with Grim Flayer, Snapcaster Mage, and Tarmogoyf. I was using the idea of these creatures all together, I had already noticed it, but players asked about how that was fairing with Delirium, and I was also running Murderous Cut. Normally I would consider the "Tas, Monkey, Fish" package, but I do not want to Relic of Progenitus my own strategy. It hurts badly; especially when they board in graveyard hate.
In regards to Enchantments/Artifacts--I have tested with a few things, Courser of Kruphix, Bitterblossom, Executioner's Capsule, Scrapheap Scrounger, Loxodon Warhammer, and even Batterskull. Unfortunately, if I were to use a different card type removal spell, it would have to be Executioner's Capsule, for the sake of at least a Turn 1 move. Unbridled Growth is strictly in this 75 to:
- Replace a card in hand and cycles through the deck.
- Caters to Delirium and Tarmogoyf without repercussion--at anytime, for free.
- Mana fixes and combats against Blood Moon.
Thank you for your suggestions. Hopefully I was able to clear up why there are no super extra value 1 drop 4/5 Delve creatures (with abilities) in this list. I would totally love to, if Grim Flayer was a base 4/4 (could you even imagine!) I will take you up on the Eternal Witness, however. Everyone keeps saying "witness", "witness."