|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Modern Masters 2017 Edition||Mythic Rare|
|Modern Masters 2015 Edition||Mythic Rare|
|Modern Masters||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Lhurgoyf
Tarmogoyf's power is equal to the number of card types among cards in all graveyards and its toughness is equal to that number plus 1. (The card types are artifact, creature, enchantment, instant, land, phenomenon, plane, planeswalker, scheme, sorcery, tribal, and vanguard.)
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (7)||Tyqar , hobbes131 , Paradise_Collectibles , ironax , cj96.calimlim , CampbellStev , abby315|
|Want (9)||demonicgrizzly , Skulldrey , robbnoble , Dadaman11 , KB2187 , dplerner , Borg0th , Spinalripper , DruneGrey|
1 day ago
zephyr_chang I do agree with Tower Defense like the idea of Forbidding Watchtower. I play 3 Doran because Treefolk Harbingers get me 7 chances to see the card. However I cannot disagree more on Assault Formation: that card wins games.
The last ability on Assault Formation is a relative high cost. However wary opponents have to block or you buff for lethal (this has happened in several games I've played).
If I dump the Formations I go from 7 butt to 5 butt: that feels kinda risky.
Still thank you for the ideas.
1 day ago
I've played a version of this deck for a while, and found that Lingering Souls and Tower Defense is quite good in the meta right now. You should also play at least 1-2 Forbidding Watchtower too. Agree that Spellskite is really important in this deck. Tarmogoyf can be good too. I'd play 4 copies of Doran, the Siege Tower and go down 1 copy of Assault Formation.
If you can splash red, Mardu Ascendancy is a crazy card that can enable Turn 3 or 4 kills. Or, if you can splash blue, Zur the Enchanter can tutor up enchantments so you can play more 1-ofs in the deck.
4 days ago
First of all, I see some people here having really stubborn opinions over the game. I mean, personally, I have an old saying, marked on my heart, who tells "play what you like and be the best at it", and I feel like some might forget that magic is a game before anything. Playing a game, by nature, hasn't a defined goal nor ideal end, "winning" is not universally seen as the same, and it's even more not seen universally as the goal. Competitiveness is not the ultimate thing to achieve, it can be to one, and be the opposite to the other.
Yes, interaction is important in playing magic for fact, and if you have no removal nor clear plan you won't go further against opponent who will, but the fact is that even if the deck you play is called agro by the majority, it doesn't define it's nature to the unique, you can't just say "it works like this and there's no way you can change it". This deck is not more aggro then what you may think, like, calm down with the unstoppable need to win, stop comparing everything to what used or is winning right now, statistic aren't mirror of reality nor definitive answer to what we should play.
What I mean is that if you really want to win each game, or go competitive like so many people want to, stompy is definitely not the deck to play, so there is no reason to not have fun in tweaking the deck as one may like. If the deck was to become competitive, it would have been WAY before because the deck is old as hell, old as modern itself. So play the deck as you like, splash color or play mono-green, use only forest or use non-basic lands, play removal or don't, do whatever you like, no one cares beside you.
Anyway, that was a small rant, I can't stand this irreparable will to make everything competitive. If you still want to hear my (personal) thoughts on the deck, here are they, but take them as they are, opinions, not facts:
- I prefer mono green, less life loss, cheaper (even if it shouldn't be a problem in a perfect world), and you can work around with Dismember and Prey Upon for removal. If you need more protection, there's lots of response even in "mono green": Blossoming Defense, Wilt-Leaf Liege for instance;
- No ramp, ensuring a better start is less interesting than thinking about a better late-game, the speed you gain doesn't make you apply more pressure nor save you after they stop your treats, I suggest late-game alternative over them if you really want to spice up your list. Otherwise, play more aggro;
- Groundbreaker is easily removed, for 3 mana it's not enough of a treat, even as a one-of, if the opponent knows how to play, he will never tap out against you, you are the danger, playing one and get it bolted means literally loosing a turn. Don't bother playing them, I know they are funny and surprising, but they are once, not twice;
- The graveyard hate plan is better than the Hooting Mandrills one, your graveyard play is far less efficient than grixis player's one, no cantrip or anything to fill it, don't count on them to kill your creature and keep them in your graveyard, they play Scavenging Ooze too. If you can't play with it properly, stop them to too, or else they will beat you on that level, don't bite more than you can chew and keep on nurfing Tarmogoyf and Snapcaster Mage;
- I prefer having a diverse land base and skipping over Dungrove Elder, it's good with Hexproof, but against wipes it's like any other creatures, so I suggest not to bother building around it too much, that's the more subjective that I can be. It's good as a one-of, but not more than that with a different land base (I like playing rich and diverse land base, strictly subjective like I said);
- Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx is indeed not really good, unless you run some more mana-sink like Scavenging Ooze mainboard, you should probably skip it;
- Don't overdo cards that depends on the board state, like Aspect of Hydra and Khalni Hydra, if the board doesn't cooperate, it's a dead draw, unless you want to make the deck a little bit more midrange. I wouldn't suggest you to do it, but if you still want to (I'm culprit of this), don't play too much late-game cards, still keep in mind you don't want to go in late-game, and if you do, play interactive cards, they will at least spice up your play and assure you have fun and give a interesting fight with your opponent;
- lastly, never play 4 CMC spells, seriously, you won't be able. The only 4 CMC spell you should consider is Collected Company, and personally, the value of this card is good when you run more than 28 creatures, and especially when the majority cost 2 CMC or more, which you don't, so I wouldn't suggest it. It's good, really good, but still, you can perfectly go without it.
Otherwise, have fun m8, it's one of my favorite deck and I can't keep seeing it played!
1 week ago
Thanks for the feedback Hunson_Abadeer. I used to run him before I got Tarmogoyf. I've seen him work well for fixing Dark Confidant so you don't take as much damage on the upkeep. I think he belongs in a different style JUND deck though. One more centered around delirium and overall beat down. The creature slots are extremely tight in JUND as the focus is on one-for-one removal and discard. I would have to swap out Scavenging Ooze to make room for Grim Flayer. But I prefer scooze for control match-ups where Snapcaster Mage is a threat. Also, the lifegain off Scavenging Ooze can be life saving.
1 week ago
AgentGreen, given that the point of removal is to destroy creatures, I'm not sure that's enough evidence to condemn a creature-based mechanic like Eternalize. That's like saying Arcbound Ravager or Tarmogoyf is bad because they get Pushed (and Pathed, and sometimes Bolted, and Mana Leaked).
Now, I'm not saying you have to suddenly like Eternalize, just that it might find a niche in Standard by occupying similar roles to Bump in the Night, where the first cast is what you'll probably use, but the second cast can be useful late-game from the grave.
1 week ago
Like the title suggests, I need help narrowing down this list before I start working on the manabase..
I wasn't originally going to build this as a Zoo deck, but when I looked up Saskia decks that did well in tournaments, they were ALL Zoo variants.. So what I did was write down all of the spells that were common in all the lists (minus some pricy stuff I don't have like Dark Confidant & Demonic Tutor), added some Incarnations (Filth, Brawn, Anger, etc.), and some other stuff that I had..
I'm going to a new shop, which means a 100% Blind meta..
Mid-grade power level (Nothing that specifically draws hate from the table, but strong enough to stand up to it if need be)..
Commander / EDH*
1 week ago
I used to play Liliana, the Last Hope. But I find that her first ability wasn't so great against certain deck while her 2nd ability was quite decent for cards like Grim Flayer or Tarmogoyf. Right now I'm debating if I should run either Dark Confidant in the main or Noble Hierarch instead. And playing 4x Liliana of the Veil is too much since she's not so good during the late game.
1 week ago
Anyhow, cool deck!