|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Modern Masters 2017 Edition (MM3)||Uncommon|
|Commander 2016 (C16)||Common|
|MTG: Commander (CMD)||Common|
Combos Browse all
, : Add to your mana pool.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (15)||mtgmanatee , NOGzFTW , xXThormentXx , TheRealPeaches , bakeraj4 , killstars , brentkc49 , rikertchu , , wizardpch , goodair , PTsmitty , MattN7498 , rockleemyhero , Vasbear1|
|Want (3)||PembrokeWelshCorgi , ryuzaki32667 , chrishuffman95|
Gruul Signet Discussion
2 weeks ago
All right, finally got the chance to take a proper look at this. Let's start with additions:
- Spelljack. Mentioned this on Reddit, but I love this card.
- Cultivate. EDH staple, should be in 95% of green decks. Nothing more to say.
- Eternal Witness. Same as above.
- Sunbird's Invocation. This card leads to insane value swings. It's fantastic.
- Beast Within. Flexible, instant-speed removal in colors that usually lack it.
- Chaos Warp. Same as above.
- Etali, Primal Storm. This card is balanced by not having haste. Wanderer changes that.
- Pathbreaker Ibex. I have one-shotted several opponents with this, Xenagos, God of Revels, and Wanderer. Do not underestimate.
- Xenagos, God of Revels. 14/12 trample haste Wanderer is insane.
- Skyshroud Claim. One of my personal favorite ramp spells. Also fetches shocklands and battlelands (like Cinder Glade).
- Avenger of Zendikar. Wins games by itself.
- Simic Signet, Izzet Signet, and Gruul Signet. Some of the best ramp in EDH in a deck that really wants ramp. Slam dunk.
- Mystical Tutor. Sets up Wanderer really well.
- Temporal Mastery. Bonkers with Wanderer and tutoring it to top of library.
- Mind's Dilation. This card gives tons of value if not immediately dealt with.
All right, on to cuts:
- Archetype of Aggression. 3 mana 3/2s aren't great, and most of your stuff has trample anyways. Nice with Wanderer, but hurts to cascade into.
- Coiling Oracle. Not a bad card by any means, but I really don't want to cascade into this.
- Elvish Lyrist. Way too slow. Run Unravel the Aether if you really need this effect.
- Jori En, Ruin Diver. I like my card draw spells to be a little flashier than this in Wanderer.
- Siren Stormtamer. I mentioned this on Reddit, but 1 mana 1/1s are really not where you want to be in Wanderer, and I don't think this does what you want it to anyways.
- Verdant Sun's Avatar. Lifegain is nice, but there are better things to do with 7 mana.
- Displace. I'm not seeing a ton of ETB effects to abuse here.
- High Tide. Not great in a 3-color non-combo deck.
- Steam Augury. Strictly worse Fact or Fiction. Meh.
- Unsummon. Not nearly good enough for EDH play. Card disadvantage and allowing re-use of ETB effects seems bad.
- Panharmonicon. Still don't think you have enough ETB effects to abuse.
- Attune with Aether. Not actual ramp; not worth 1 mana.
- Invigorating Falls. I really don't like cards that do nothing but gain life.
I think that's all I can come up with at the moment. Feel free to look at my decklist (Wandering the Eternities) if you'd like other suggestions. Good luck with your deck! I think you'll find it's a ton of fun :)
2 weeks ago
TheGeneralAdvisor , if I cut Rapacious One, Sin Prodder, Cudgel Troll, Flamespeaker's Will, Clan Defiance, Soul's Fire, Fire Servant, and Nessian Game Warden and considered adding Gruul Signet, Rampant Growth, Birds of Paradise, and Kodama's Reach, along with filling in more lands, do you think that would fix the mana problem, considering Ive already got 3 mana dorks. Maybe also adding in Manamorphose somewhere?
3 weeks ago
3 weeks ago
These cards are bad and make zero sense to add, especially a vanilla creature like Primordial Wurm.
There are far too few lands with too many high end creatures, along with very little ramp - hard ramp or soft ramp - along with very little removal for threats to your game plan. This deck needs Selesnya Signet and Gruul Signet. It also needs cards like Farseek and Kodama's Reach. You can also use Hour of Promise too. You should also find something like Blasphemous Act, Bonfire of the Damned, or maybe the new legendary out of Dominaria. At worst, it can burn all three of your opponents or the three biggest threats. Finally, Krosan Grip should be in just about every green deck, along with Decimate these are important because they fight through counters or remove multiple threats all at once.
As far as creatures, there are far superior choices to many of the cards here. Druid of the Anima is better than both Llanowars, any ramp spell is better, such as Burgeoning being better than scout, and will net you more land drops or better mana quality. If you can't afford a Birds of Paradise, consider Sylvan Caryatid. It does the same thing and is harder to remove.
Samut needs creatures that matter. Creatures that will impact the board in some meaningful way. I get this feeling that you're leaning too heavily on the power of Piper to cheat the big guys out there. I hate to say it but those types of creatures or effects, i.e. Quicksilver Amulet, draw a lot of hate very quickly.
Her untap ability works well with some of the exert creatures like Champion of Rhonas, and being able to attack multiple times in a turn is always a good thing. So look at Aurelia, the Warleader, Relentless Assault and World at War.
Finally, have any "I win" button. Sometimes large creature beats won't get the job done. I am not opposed to Infect as a last resort so look into Triumph of the Hordes and Grafted Exoskeleton. Actually, look into more equipment in general and Mirri, Weatherlight Duelist is a great card in an aggro deck.
I hope these suggestions help and look forward to the second draft. Best regards.
1 month ago
I dig the comment above and might offer a few more suggestions.
Bring your creature count up above 30 since this is a tribal deck. Keep your singleton non-dinos, if you'd like, but get more dinos in here!
Bring your lands down to 38 or 36 to make some space for ramp spells. Good options include Kodama's Reach, Cultivate, Explosive Vegetation, Farseek, Skyshroud Claim, Sakura-Tribe Elder, Gruul Signet, Boros Signet, Selesnya Signet, Chromatic Lantern, Sol Ring, and maybe even Veteran Explorer.
You can also run the RG cards that let you cheat more dinos into play and protect them. Maybe consider:
- Steely Resolve
- Genesis Wave
- Sunbird's Invocation
- Oath of Druids
- Survival of the Fittest
- Kindred Summons
- Defense of the Heart
- Pattern of Rebirth
- Descendants' Path
- Wild Pair
- Tooth and Nail
- Garruk, Caller of Beasts
- Xenagos, the Reveler
- Fewer lands; more dinos.
- More cards that cheat dinos into play.
- More cards that solve problems (like Chaos Warp, Path to Exile, Swords to Plowshares, Banishing Light, Oblivion Ring, Lignify, Settle the Wreckage, Comeuppance, Song of the Dryads, or Beast Within).
- More ramp.
If your list is mostly dinos + sneak-dinos-into-play cards + ramp + a few problem solvers, you will be able to execute your plan more quickly and interact enough to build up your board state for a kill point or two.
Have fun playing!
1 month ago
- Chromatic Lantern
- Gruul Signet
- Selesnya Signet
- Boros Signet
- Oracle of Mul Daya
- Sakura-Tribe Elder
- Somberwald Sage
- Solemn Simulacrum
- Wood Elves
- Hour of Promise
- Tempt with Discovery
Cheating in the Big Bois:
2 months ago
Amulet of vigor is incredibly irrelevant here, so few things put lands into play tapped and you aren't playing any good duals that enter tapped either. Cut for more early ramp e.g. Thought Vessel or a signet Gruul Signet is your best bet I think.
2 months ago
I used to think likewise about mana rocks, but I'm back to test them because they really put you ahead faster than green ramp spells.
Sol Ring is just way too powerful not to use it, especially in a deck with costs that require so much generic mana.
In the best scenario where Rampant Growth, Sakura-Tribe Elder or Wayfarer's Bauble (or Gruul Signet that matter) are on your opening hand they will make you have four mana by turn three and you don't/didn't have so many important cards for four mana, you need to hit higher mana to start developing your game, the deck average mana cost is just too high for +1 mana spell to be meaningful.
Worn Powerstone and Overgrowth compared to Cultivate add the same amount amount of mana but if you cast them on turn three, with Worn Powerstone and Overgreowth you'll be on six mana by turn four providing you have a fourth land in your hand but with cultivate you'll only be on five mana. Overgrowth after turn three will usually be placed on a untapped land and you'll be able to use its mana on that same turn.
About Rite of the Raging Storm. In my meta the board will be starting to get scary by that point. There can be many problematic creatures like Yidris, Maelstrom Wielder, Atraxa, Praetors' Voice, Kalemne, Disciple of Iroas, The Gitrog Monster and others. All that Rite of the Raging Storm does is just lowering other players life slowly, later it can be good to get triggers from Omnath, Where Ancients Tread and Warstorm Surge, but you can't keep the elemental for blocking purposes or to mass them for posterior use. You'll still have your doors open for anyone, and you know what? they will be pissed that they can't attack you with the token so they will attack you with their own creatures for sure. At that point a Deadly Recluse will probably be more useful (all of this on my meta, maybe your games play out differently). So all of this means that in your deck Rite of the Raging Storm is a late game card and for a late game card is not that good.