Ugin, the Ineffable
Legendary Planeswalker — Ugin
Colorless Spells you cast cost less to cast.
+1: Exile the top card of your library face down and look at it. Create a 2/2 colorless Spirit creature token. When that token leaves the battlefield, put the exiled card into your hand.
-3: Destroy target permanent that's one or more colors.
|Have (2)||CompleteWaste , metalmagic|
Printings View all
|Secret Lair (SLD)||Rare|
|War of the Spark (WAR)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Ugin, the Ineffable occurrence in decks from the last year
Ugin, the Ineffable Discussion
1 week ago
I see a lot of shiny cards! Love the deck "intro" :D
Instead of typing all the cards I would suggest, I got a similar deck, just with Syr Konrad, the Grim: For the Void, the idea of the deck, just like with Ayara, is to get creatures, kills them, ping opponents to death.. with few bonuses. Maybe you'll like some cards, I would definitely suggest Tortured Existence (even if it doesnt like working with Necropotence, because of the discarding into exile), with Desecrated Tomb to make a 1/1 black bat token with flying for at instant speed and since Ayara loves black creatures, its would be really good :D Black itself offers a lot of card draw to replace Necropotence.
I also wrote an explanation why I use every single card in the deck, if you would wonder why some stuff are even in there. :D Also if you would decide to give some feedback aswell, I would appreaciate it :P
Anyway, about some cards I would probably replace here:
1) Ugin, the Ineffable - making colorless cards cheaper is definitely nice, but most cards here are already cheap enough with a decent mono-black ramp, which just make it less effective 6 drop. Making tokens into card draw when they die is alright, but again, black has tons of way to generate tokens and card draw (also less synergy with Ayara, since those tokens arent black). His permanent removal is a little bit better for mono-black decks, but since it takes 2 turns to use that ability again (and killing Ugin in process) is slow, cards like Meteor Golem would be probably much more effective as a permanent removal, since it just targets any permanent no matter the color AND is a creature, so sac Meteor Golem and reanimate later. Also, Feed the Swarm.
2) Cemetery Reaper - there is only 5 other Zombie creatures (if I dont count tokens from Grave Titan,Army of the Damned and Open the Graves). Even with some zombies on board, +1/+1 is pretty small buff and Cemetery Reaper is just slow token generator.
3) Beseech the Queen - even for , you are forced to reveal the tutored card, which makes it pretty bad tutor and in my personal opinion, one of the worst tutors in mono-black. As much as I love BtQ art, its a big no from me. Just for , there is budget Diabolic Tutor that wont make you reveal the card you tutored for. Or, a bit more expensive, but mana cheaper and great in token decks: Diabolic Intent. BsQ also limits you by the number of lands you control, so its less effective in the early game.
4) Caged Sun - I know how the mana doubling is nice, but since it costs to get out, then wait a turn to get value out of it might be slow. I think tutoring for Cabal Coffers/Cabal Stronghold might be just faster and more effective. Similar problem with Gauntlet of Power, even if it costs less, it affects lands of the chosen color your opponents control too, which just might lead to some ugly moments :D Probably something like Mirage Mirror would be a good replacement, so you can make an additional copy of Cabal Coffers. Another one could be Pawn of Ulamog, since you have plenty of creatures and those 0/1 Eldrazi tokens could help you with ramp.
Some more cards that could be nice:
1) Piper of the Swarm - cheap creature that buffs some of your other rats and can make rat tokens for cheap aswell, with mind control effect too. There are some really cool Ayara decks with rat tribal aswell.
2) Clackbridge Troll - I pretty like this card since I first saw it... its big ugly troll that does a lot of stuff, forcing your opponent to sac a creature to give you 3 life and 1 card, ooorrrr you the troll hits them! :D
3) Songs of the Damned/Bubbling Muck - both are pretty good to give you a lot of mana to cast a some big stuff during a single turn.
4) Malakir Rebirth Flip - this is definitely a cool card from the last set, giving either Ayara or any other creature important at the moment "protection" or just use it as a land if needed. With Vilis on board, it also draws you 2 cards for at instant speed.
3 weeks ago
Hi guys, don't often comment on here, so apologies in advance
But I'm currently in an edh game with a friend who has a Spellskite and a Kinnan, Bonder Prodigy, and I have an Ugin, the Ineffable using his -3 to target and destroy kinnan. In response, my friend activates spellskites ability to change to spellskite, and I in response cast Tale's End to counter the activated ability of spellskite. He says that he can in response activate it again. Is this allowed?
3 weeks ago
Hi guys, don't often comment on here, so apologies in advance
But I'm currently in an edh game with a friend who has a Spellskite and a Kinnan, Bonder Prodigy, and I have an Ugin, the Ineffable using his -3 to target and destroy kinnan. In response, my friend activates spellskites ability to change to spellskite, and I in response cast Tale's End to counter the activated ability of spellskite. He says that he can in response activate it again (spellskite) on the ugin activation. Is this allowed?
1 month ago
Privileged Position>Shalai, Voice of Plenty
Nissa, Vital Force>Ob Nixilis Reignited
Swan Song>Deploy the Gatewatch
Rhystic Study>Phyrexian Arena
Bontu's Last Reckoning > Supreme Verdict
Ugin, the Ineffable > Anguished Unmaking
Elspeth, Knight-Errant > Venser, the Sojourner
Sorin Markov > Liliana, Dreadhorde General
1 month ago
I'm still not sure I understand your aversion of the vivid lands, but let's say i cut them, would you add basics (as long as i haven't tested how early my proliferation is online)?
Throne of Geth doesn't need many other artifacts. At the point where I want to activate this more than once I image having some signets / talismans that I don't need anymore, allowing them to be useful again as fodder for the throne. I don't expect to ativate this before turn 4 at all, probably even later than that. Yes, it's amazing if i get to activate it every turn (e.g. when i have Daretti, Ingenious Iconoclast or Saheeli, Sublime Artificer), but i feel like it's done its job when i activate it twice, and i can always use it once in a pinch.
I know you specifically said "not necessarily infinites" but I'm not sure what other kind of I win buttons other than copying planeswalker ults you might mean. I have a Torment of Hailfire that I may want, I could probably get to enough mana through proliferation that everyone has to sac their board, hand and life, but honestly it might take too long and i prefer not to run any tutors, so it's kinda hit or miss. Any other non-infinite suggestions?
It also doesn't help that my playgroup actually frowns a little on infinite combos. I think the 4 card combo that i discovered after adding all the pieces is convoluted enough to be appreciated. Then there's a lot of ways to get infinite turns with Magistrate's Scepter here too, but this can also easily be interrupted by artifact removal - even this may be too much for them though. I guess what I'm saying is that we mostly play for the fun and "doing our thing", less for the winning. I probably wouldn't play this deck in a competitive environment (but who knows!)
Also: I'm cutting solemn, but Jace, Cunning Castaway might be too meme-y, which walker do you think fits the bill best? I'm thinking
Jace Beleren: Party jace! cheap, draws cards, could be left alone if i draw the table cards
Tezzeret, Artifice Master: helps throne of geth, draws cards, has cool ult
Teferi, Temporal Archmage: untap can help our artifacts do double duty, is another walker to go infinite with chain veil and mana artifacts that produce 4 mana, has cool ult
Ugin, the Ineffable: helps control, builds boardstate, helps cast artifacts (and ugins/karns)
Sorin Markov: Drains slowly, can help table take care of archnemesis, resets the lifegain deck, has evil ult
I'm leaning towards teferi now that i realised it can help me combo (or at least proliferate more). Am i missing any good ones (that aren't Jace, the Mind Sculptor or Dack Fayden since those are too expensive)
PS: what's your stance on wilds/terramorphic: cut for basics or keep?
I agree with your take on what's likely to happen to me during a game but I don't think Force of Despair is the answer. It’s a decent card but i don’t think it helps us much:
It only takes care of creatures from 1 opponent, and only the turn they entered, making this feel more like a counterspell, less like a wrath or even regular removal. In that sense it’s somewhat like sorcery speed removal, which might even be better in this case because we can at least interact with all the threats since our previous turn.
It’s a free spell, it can’t be that bad, but i’m not sure it does what we need.
1 month ago
Fanatic of Mogis - I've found him to be lackluster, what has your experience been with it, do you usually have enough devotion to make him meaningful?
Pia and Kiran Nalaar - Similar to above, but I see you have another theme of tokens and damage dealing ETB enchantments/cards. I just find the activated ability to expensive and slow. I would always rather play something from my hand.
Deflecting Swat - Such an amazing card, but if only Norin could stay. What has your experience been with it in Norin, I'm very tempted to slot one in.
Sculpting Steel - Same question as above?
What is your meta comprised of, power level?
Darksteel Citadel - What is the purpose of this, stealing an artifact with confusion?
Roiling Vortex - Meta call?
Cloudstone Curio - Experience with this card, ups and downs?
It feels you suffer from red's lack of card draw, to be addressed in suggestions below. You have virtual card advantage through looting, but little card advantage aside from wheels and a little others.
Tome of Legends - Best card for Norin ever printed. Don't sleep on this
Endless Atlas - Almost as good as above
Mind's Eye/Memory Jar - Top of the curve for draw but can help you out when you need then late game. Mind's eye is especially fun with wheels and Honor-Worn Shaku, as you use shaku + norin and mind's eye to draw during each opponents draw step.
Blast Zone - Speaking of red's weakness, this can work as enchantment removal.
I think you should cut some of the less impactful non basics and add more basics. This will fuel valakut and will help you with extraplanar lens - which itself is a very risky card.
A cool combo (not a serious suggestion but funny to note) is Ugin, the Ineffable + Top + Experimental Frenzy = Draw your whole deck. Each piece is good on it's own (maybe even frenzy in this deck given your lack of card draw?) and Ugin works as both card draw and enchantment removal.
Heat Shimmer + Dualcaster = Infinite Hasty Dualcasters, each piece is good on it's own. There are 1-2 other cards that work with dualcaster as well but escape me at the moment.
Light Up the Stage - With all your damage dealing, this is easy to cast, works well with top too, allowing you to knowingly be able to cast a card rather than risk it in exile.
Ignite the Future - Similar to above but flashback payoff has won me games.
Curse of Opulence - Ramp and politics. I recently had 2 games in a row in a 3 man pod where me and opponent #2 both cast this on opponent #3 on Turn 1. Very fun
Outpost Siege - Draw when you need it, damage when you don't, primarily used for draw in my experience
1 month ago
Tome of Legends - Draw
Scroll Rack - Top deck manipulation
Outpost Siege > Vance's Blasting Cannons as vance doesn't let you play lands, nor will you be able to chain enough spells to make it flip
Ignite the Future - "Draw" - Works well with top deck manipulation. I like to tap top in response that way I know I can always cast top since it's cheap
Light Up the Stage - See above
Chandra, Torch of Defiance - Good stuff, ramp, card draw, removal and wincon all in 1
Dualcaster Mage - Utility
Command Beacon - Utility
Ancient Tomb > Temple of False
Since you already run experimental frenzy and top, have you thought of adding or switching OG Ugin to Ugin, the Ineffable? Ugin Ineff + Top + Experimental = Draw your whole deck. Each piece is good on it's own as well.
Wayfarer's Bauble - Ramp
Mind Stone - Ramp when you need it, card draw when you don't. Can also use it to draw your top deck if you can see it, that way you have a potentially better cast trigger off of Etali
Hall of the Bandit Lord - Expensive, but haste is haste if you want redundancy
Blast Zone - Another way to deal with enchantments that doesn't take up a slot
2 months ago
RNR_Gaming I was kinda feeling the same way honestly. I downgraded the token to a 1/1 from the 2/2 from Ugin, the Ineffable's ability but that might not have been enough. A 1/1 can still be pretty useful. I was hoping to keep the draw when the token leaves play to give the mechanic a slow but inevitable feel but maybe you're right. But on the other hand, it would atleast make sense from a flavour perspective to require you to return the spirit to the graveyard to get the draw.
Another idea I just got was to delay the draw until the endphase just to further the whole delayed gratification schtick.