|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander 2018 (C18)||Rare|
|Commander 2013 (C13)||Rare|
|Shards of Alara (ALA)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Artifact Creature — Sphinx
Whenever an artifact creature you control deals combat damage to a player, you may create a 1/1 blue Thopter artifact creature token with flying.
Sharding Sphinx Discussion
6 days ago
Hangarback Walker will make a bunch of artifact tokens on death.
Sai, Master Thopterist will get you a Thopter each time you cast an artifact spell.
1 month ago
This seems like the makings of a fun deck! It has a lot going on... I'm not convinced so many strategies can be supported (tho I'm fine being wrong if you think you can pull it off). My #1 suggestion would be to dump one or more strategies to strengthen the others. Roughly in order:
- Mill. IMO this is the weakest/least supported. Recommend cutting these cards (especially since you're not playing any wheel effects).
- Card draw. Already strong, but with this commander I'd go for even more. Surprised not to see any of the X draw spells like Pull from Tomorrow . Another idea is replacing counter/unsummon effects with cantrip versions like Exclude or Drag Under .
As for mana, do you own a Caged Sun or Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx ? Both are clutch in mono-color decks. Last, since you're playing artifacts, suggest replacing some of the high CMC beaters like Inkwell Leviathan with things you can cheat out like Metalwork Colossus .
1 month ago
Hey, looks good, nice upgrade so far of the precon :)
$50 upgrade to consider (the main theme of these upgrades are cards that give you repeatable value)
- Tezzeret the Seeker : repeatable artifact untap, tutor/put artifact you search for onto the battlefield and can be a win condition with artifacts. Tezz is the most expensive price card I'm suggesting, but he really does it all for artifact strategies.
- Daretti, Scrap Savant : repeatable draw/graveyard enabler/artifact reanimation, sac a Thopter/Servo to reanimate an artifact.
- Inventors' Fair : artifact tutor and life gain.
- Spire of Industry : rainbow land with an artifact or can make colorless mana.
- Great Furnace : red artifact land.
- Shivan Reef : Izzet Pain land, ETB untapped.
- Ash Barrens : basic landcycling or can ETB untapped to make colorless mana.
- Kuldotha Forgemaster : repeatable artifact tutor, sac Thopters/Servos to tutor for and put onto the battlefield an artifact.
- Sai, Master Thopterist : great repeatable value when casting artifacts, more draw with Thopters/Servos.
- Shimmer Myr : cast artifacts at instant speed, great with Unwinding Clock.
- Padeem, Consul of Innovation : protect artifacts from targeted removal and can be repeatable draw.
- Goblin Welder : instant speed repeatable artifact reanimation, sac a Thopter/Servo to reanimate an artifact.
- Treasure Mage : lots of good six or more CMC artifacts to tutor for.
- Memnarch : mana sink, turn your opponents permanents into artifacts and steal them.
- Bosh, Iron Golem : mana sink, sac artifacts you control to do damage to your opponents.
- Metalwork Colossus : good with Bosh since it can be recurred.
- Spine of Ish Sah : permanent removal, good with Bosh since when it dies it goes back to your hand.
- Nevinyrral's Disk : repeatable mass removal that's good with Planeswalkers since it doesn't kill them, can be reanimated or recurred since it's an artifact.
- Sharding Sphinx : army in a can with Thopters/Servos.
- Silver Myr
- Iron Myr
- Basalt Monolith : good with Tezzeret and Unwinding Clock.
- Hedron Archive : same as Monolith, but also sac to draw.
- Mystic Remora : one of the best sources of no mana cost repeatable draw in multiplayer Commander.
- Brainstorm : instant draw three for one mana.
Good luck with your deck.
2 months ago
Brutal_B This deck tends to be rather good at riding under the radar for a good potion of the early game, but generally it is really awful to be the lead player in the game when playing against this deck, since it enables every other deck against the one player. I will say though, token generating decks are a bit of a harder matchup, since its hard to find good targets to clone when the best cards in their deck do next to nothing on your side of the board (e.g. Sharding Sphinx in a Brudiclad, Telchor Engineer deck). I'm considering running Maelstrom Pulse for this very reason.
2 months ago
I want to suggest a few cards that had worked very well on my BRUDICLAD (scotish intensifies) Deck.
- Altar of the Brood : Multiplayer Mill.
- Polymorph : Works if you replace the small creatures with noncreature token generators. Mass Polymorph , Shape Anew
- Impact Tremors : Win condition if used with creature token generators.
- Lightning Runner : 4 copies in play for infinite combat phases. Hazte and Double Strike is also nice.
- Sharding Sphinx : if copied, escalates quickly.
- The Locust God : One of the best token generators.
- Pongify : Remove enemy threats or boosts your own tokens. Rapid Hybridization
3 months ago
The sphinx pictured in Wargate is none of the above. In fact, it is likely the only sphinx to appear on Bant, and for good reason.
Exhibit C: now that we know everything else is out of the question, we just need to prove it's not Sphinx Sovereign . And we can do that with... the feet? Yes. Not that the paws on Wargate seem to be much wider than those of the sovereign. Not only that but the individual plates and feathers on the legs of Wargate give it a much more... organic feel than that of Sphinx Sovereign . In fact- could that be why it was what came out of the portal onto Bant?
3 months ago
The head is shaped exactly like an Esper sphinx. See aforementioned Sphinx of the Steel Wind , Sharding Sphinx , Magister Sphinx , Enigma Sphinx , and Sphinx Sovereign . They all have some sort of metal plate as a mane and all but two have the "horns" pictured on Wargate . I disagree that it is Sphinx of the Steel Wind though, the floating balls around the head put me more in mind of Magister Sphinx or Sphinx Sovereign though there are minor details wrong for it to be either of them too. Valid arguments could be made for any of the three or none.
4 months ago
For the good cards ... I'm not a regular Sydri pilot, but here's a penny for my thoughts on this fun commander. Tamiyo's Journal is a good beater that plops out artifacts/draw. Faerie Artisans / Thoughtcast / Thirst for Knowledge are really good for this deck, Dispatch / Stoic Rebuttal is always good for redundancy. March of the Machines is good in case your commander gets tree'd or stolen . Mechanized Production might be good for Phyrexian Metamorph / Master of Etherium /tokens from Sharding Sphinx / Smothering Tithe etc.
For the weaker cards ... Planar Cleansing could be replaced with Hour of Revelation . Profane Procession Flip/ Predator, Flagship could go because of its overall cost, and it doesn't do anything else over time or when it enters, and it doesn't fit the themes of the deck. Revel in Riches might be good with the amount of board wipes but you'll be targeted for it, it's an upkeep trigger (so people will have time to respond, and with sorceries). Treasure Map Flip is rather weak because it turns into a land so you can't abuse it like an artifact, and is 5 mana to eventually draw 3 or maybe 3+ cards. Treasure Mage does 'draw' and the best big artifact to abuse, but it's overall 9 mana unless you have Master Transmuter or something, and doesn't get any wincon that I can see. Ruthless Knave takes a lot of hoops to get through to draw or ramp, but a lot of my criticisms were at the treasure cards so you keep that theme then drawing more cards for no mana is good. Palladium Myr is not ramp, it's just sadness. Sphinx of the Steel Wind is expensive for a 7 turn clock on turn seven, but it's fun because it could fit your meta and is protected from the colors outside your color pie.
For win cons ... Aetherflux Reservoir / Staff of Nin / Caltrops are all all-star with this commander, and Tezzeret the Seeker could fetch caltrops/aetherflux but non paradox engine etc. If you're interested in a combo win, you could do Sword of the Meek / Thopter Foundry , or Sharuum the Hegemon / Phyrexian Metamorph and something to abuse the etb loop like Altar of the Brood / Genesis Chamber / Contraband Kingpin / Disciple of the Vault / Blood Artist / Marionette Master etc.
Sharding Sphinx occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.02%