Artifact Creature — Sphinx
Whenever an artifact creature you control deals combat damage to a player, you may put a 1/1 blue Thopter artifact creature token with flying into play.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Sharding Sphinx Discussion
1 day ago
Hm. Under the radar suggestions for artifact synergy...I have an Oloro, Ageless Ascetic deck that I've geared toward artifacts (no pun intended) and here's what I've learned from piloting that deck:
Recursion is easily available in Black for any artifact creatures, such as Phyrexian Reclamation, Unburial Rites, etc. Artifacts are also good at recurring themselves, like through Scrap Trawler and Myr Retriever. So I wouldn't worry too much about recursion in Esper colors. Furthermore, you've got insane tutors in your colors, from Sphinx Summoner to Thalia's Lancers to Djeru, With Eyes Open...and since you're in the best flicker colors, you can use Conjurer's Closet, Ghostly Flicker, etc to re-use those abilities and other ETB abilities like Sharuum's or Filigree Angel.
I really love playing Chief Engineer and Inspiring Statuary for hidden little mana advantages. You could also go Thopter "tribal" with Sharding Sphinx, Thopter Spy Network, Efficient Construction, etc. All of that kinda lends itself to an "artifact aristocrat" deck of sorts, but other synergies just depend on how you want to build the deck. However, if you get a list put together, I'd be glad to take a look!
My comments lean away from combo, since that's not my playstyle, but you can also build using the aforementioned infinite combos.
4 weeks ago
If you are playing with Thopter Foundry, you should have the Sword of the Meek combo.
try adding Thopter Engineer for haste, Whirler Rogue to get damage through, and 1 - 2 x Sharding Sphinx as token making finisher. You Need more disruption 1 fatal push and dreadbore is not going to be enough in modern. Metallic Mimic or worse option can occupy the 2 drop spot.
I would remove: Ornithopter, Thopter Spy Network - too slow, and Mishra, Artificer Prodigy - because except for Ornithopter and Master of Etherium you other artifact targets die due to the legend rule or X=0.
1 month ago
Not sure how to say this...but Padeem, Consul of Innovation is a female Vedalken.
Also maybe you would like: Sharding Sphinx.
Still a cool deck. +1
2 months ago
2 months ago
Awesome deck seriously I love it! What a great use of those partners. Here's some quick ideas for you...
2 months ago
Muzzio, Visionary Architect is also fun, albeit a bit less predictable
Sharding Sphinx makes a lot of thopters
Leonin Abunas can protect them
Memnarch likes "borrowing" things
I'm not entirely convinced it's good enough here but figured i'd atleast mention Open the Vaults. If the game goes on long enough it's probably worth it
I think the the thing the deck is missing the most is more ways of interacting with your opponent. You have the 1-of dispatch but thats about it. Swords to Plowshares, Path to Exile, Go for the Throat etc, but i think you need more.
2 months ago
Change Log 01/05/17
Added colored artifacts for the Dimir artifact archetype. Thought it would be a good idea to include some Dimir/X artifacts as well for some added variance.
- Executioner's Capsule (artifact removal)
- Scepter of Fugue (cross archetype artifact. could work in punisher?)
- Sharuum the Hegemon (Gives us a reason to splash white)
- Silas Renn, Seeker Adept (good blocker, does stuff when it connects)
- Noxious Gearhulk (bomb)
- Sphinx Sovereign (decent top end, gives orzhov drain a payoff for splashing blue)
- Sphinx Summoner (value fliers. can't say no)
- Tidehollow Strix (this card is probably too shitty... BUT it's a nice rattlesnake in Dimir, which is good in multiplayer, and it's an artifact. Thoughts?)
- Cranial Plating (duh)
- Bident of Thassa (messes with opponents' combat and is an artifact. seems like other decks might want this, which is why i like it)
- Courier's Capsule (it's possible that this card just sucks, but I wanted to cast a wide net)
- Etherium Astrolabe (need sac outlets for Spine etc.)
- Etherium Sculptor (cost reduction)
- Ethersworn Adjudicator (good beater, another reason to splash white)
- Filigree Sages (this actually seems kinda bad now that I think of it. what do you think?)
- Inkwell Leviathan (duh)
- Mask of Riddles (maybe this sucks, but it's a good way to sneak in some damage and get cards while being an artifact)
- Master of Etherium (duh)
- Master Transmuter (duh)
- Sharding Sphinx (good top end)
- Skill Borrower (possible terrible, but could be fun. We need to see if there are enough activated abilities in the archetype to justify this)
- Thopter Foundry (need sac outlets, card is just value. we will not include the combo I don't think)
- Bastion Inventor (seems decent, but maybe a bit underpowered in multiplayer)
- Herald of Anguish (duh)
- Reverse Engineer (draw that rewards artifact decks. maybe too specific? probably better for the cube to just put some other draw in this slot)
- Sly Requisitioner (good way to get value from your sacced artifacts. also lines up nicely against the grave pact deck)
- Whir of Invention (duh)
- Wurmcoil Engine (duh)
- Spine of Ish Sah (duh)
- Solemn Simulacrum (duh)
- Scrap Trawler (duh)
- Treasure Keeper (duh)
- Filigree Familiar (duh)
- Epochrasite (i'm not super sold on this, but I like recurrable creatures in multiplayer, so this seems nice)
- Lodestone Golem (possibly too annoying)
- Scarecrone (duh)
- Foundry Inspector (duh)
- Palladium Myr (duh)
- Trading Post (duh)
- Myr Retriever (duh)
- Ichor Wellspring (duh)
- Mycosynth Wellspring (duh)
- Pristine Talisman (duh)
- Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas (not sure actually whether this is the right tez for this archetype. both of the ones from kaladesh seem spicy. what do you think?)
OVERALL THOUGHTS: I'm a bit worried that this archetype as it is now builds itself too easily. I would prefer to have more cross-pollination among archetypes and less "this card is only good in the artifact deck". There is a risk that having both goblins (which are basically junk cards if no one is in the archetype) and artifacts (many of which are only good in the Dimir archetype) dilute the cube too much, making the less archetype-driven decks worse off due to fewer playables. What do you think?
2 months ago
Sorry about the lack of explaination. I'm on my phone