Artifact Creature — Construct
When Peace Strider enters the battlefield, you gain 3 life.
Printings View all
|Double Masters (2XM)||Common|
|Mystery Booster (MYS1)||Common|
|Mirrodin Besieged (MBS)||Uncommon|
|Mirrodin Besieged: Mirran (MBM)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Peace Strider Discussion
5 months ago
To remove: Callaphe, Beloved of the Sea, Crashing Drawbridge, Empyrean Eagle, Expedition Raptor, Expedition Raptor, Peace Strider, Sephara, Sky's Blade, Serra Angel, Threnody Singer, Tome Raider, Victory's Herald
To add: Solemn Simulacrum, Silas Renn, Seeker Adept, Myr Propagator, Trinket Mage, Trophy Mage, Tribute Mage, Daxos of Meletis, Clever Impersonator, Burnished Hart, Magister Sphinx, Divinity of Pride, Hanna, Ship's Navigator
To Add: Mirage Mirror, Sculpting Steel, Spellbinder, Isochron Scepter, Wayfarer's Bauble, Sol Ring, Traveler's Amulet, Prying Blade, Explorer's Scope, Dimir Signet, Orzhov Signet, Swiftfoot Boots, Lightning Greaves
1 year ago
I've categorized the cards in your deck here: https://deckstats.net/decks/50753/1215572-animar
The following analysis is based on that categorization. Several cards are in more than one category, so I've categorized them based on their primary or common case. E.g. Ancient Animus is both "Removal" and "+1/+1 Counter Interaction", but you're going to cast it to kill something -- the +1/+1 counter is a nice bonus.
There's no explicit or stated goals of the deck, so I can't evaluate the cards against that. If you have a goal, let me know.
The core effect of Animar is to play creatures, which grows Animar. As Animar grows, he helps you play more (and more expensive) creatures. Some notable limitations:
- Animar only decreases colorless costs
- Animar only cares about creatures
- Animar only cares about casting creatures
Animar is cheap to cast and protects himself from most removal (due to his protection from Black and White). Because of this, we can assume that we will get him out early and keep him out long enough for him to provide benefit. We'll build the deck assuming Animar is on the battlefield at all times.
Since Animar reduces the colorless component of creature costs, we'll get the biggest benefit from colorless creatures. As with any unlimited cost reduction effect, we should look for ways to break the free case. The obvious one here is to bounce and recast colorless creatures for free.
Since we're playing all of these (hopefully free) creatures, Animar will grow quickly. Giving Animar good evasion will give us to win on commander damage quickly.
To best abuse Animar, we want:
- Many creatures across a range of mid to high colorless costs
- As many of those creatures in our hand as possible
- An many +1/+1 counters on Animar as soon as possible
- A means to make Animar unblockable
The easiest way to break Animar is to create an engine that casts colorless creatures and bounces them to your hand as many times as possible during a turn. We'll want ETB/LTB effects on those creatures and cards that care about creatures entering and leaving the battlefield. Additionally, we'll want cards that care about +1/+1 counters on a creature.
Favor creatures over non-creatures, as you get a discount on creatures. Try to keep colored costs to a minimum - avoid double or more colors in a cost.
Abusable Colorless Creatures:
- Myr Battlesphere creates four Myr tokens
- Precursor Golem creates two 3/3 tokens
- Artisan of Kozilek reanimates a creature
- Duplicant exiles a creature
- Anodet Lurker and Peace Strider gain three life
- Electrostatic Pummeler and Multiform Wonder give three engergy
- Reservoir Walker gains three life and gives three enery
- Grim Poppet gives three -1/-1 counters to put on something
- Meteor Golem destroys something
- Mirror Golem exiles a card from a graveyard
- Pierce Strider drains three life from an opponent
- Skyscanner draws a card
- Mindless Automaton draws a card via a +1/+1 counter interaction
- Solemn Simulacrum tutors a basic land into play
- Thought-Knot Seer can effectively mill and oppenent with ETB and LTB triggers
- Triskelion deals damage via a +1/+1 counter interaction
- Workhorse grants colorless mana via a +1/+1 counter interaction
- Oblivion Sower steals lands from your opponents deck
- Panharmonicon !!!
- Cream of the Crop
- Decoction Module
- Impact Tremors
- Leyline of Vitality
- Hardened Scales
- Simic Ascendancy
- Path of Discovery
- Warstorm Surge
- Wild Pair
- Herald of Secret Streams
- Thassa, God of the Sea
- Whispersilk Cloak
- Protective Bubble
- Aqueous Form
- Keeper of Keys
- Key to the City
- Passwall Adept
- Rogue's Passage
- Aether Tunnel
- Cloak of Mists
- Suspicious Bookcase
- Marchesa's Smuggler
- Tricks of the Trade
We'll want to get as many creatures down as quickly as we can. Card draw and other card advantage effects are valuable.
- Vizier of the Menagerie
- Sunbird's Invocation
- Stolen Strategy
- Rashmi, Eternities Crafter
- Garruk's Horde
- Descendants' Path
- Elvish Visionary
- Fierce Empath
- Wall of Blossoms
Changes to the Existing Cards
I would consider cutting way down on the amount of ramp. Mana dorks get the deck running early, but they don't have any synergy with the core effects. I suspect that's what was leaving you feeling like you had a dead hand.
Cards that seem particularly problematic:
- Wild Cantor . Requires a sac for effect. Doesn't get cost reduction. A dork that taps for mana would be better.
- Tinder Wall . Same as Wild Cantor sans the cost reduction bit.
- Vivid Creek and Vivid Crag . These both ETB tapped, don't have basic land types, and only provide off-color mana twice. If would strongly consider running Amonkhet cycling duals over these.
- Ancient Ziggurat . Be careful, as this mana can only be used for casting creature spells. I don't like this land in most decks.
- Bond Beetle . I have no idea why this is in here. It works once and has very little synergy with the deck. Verdurous Gearhulk would be better, but still not great.
- Green Sun's Zenith . I think a cheaper card that tutored to hand and then let you cast the card would be better, as you'd get the cost reduction effect and other synergies. No cards come to mind, but there are lots that look at the top X cards and tutor to hand ( Gift of the Gargantuan , etc.).
1 year ago
Section 1 Get +1/+1 counters other than attacking
Arcbound stuff by CMC (some are in other categories): Arcbound Worker, Arcbound Slith, Arcbound Stinger, Arcbound Crusher, Arcbound Hybrid, Arcbound Bruiser, Arcbound Fiend, Arcbound Lancer, Arcbound Overseer
Creature type based: Metallic Mimic
Just because it is an artifact: Steel Overseer
Creatures that already have counters:
Sacrifice outlets to consider:
- Culling Dais
- Demonmail Hauberk
- Blasting Station
- Metalwork Colossus
- Phyrexian Vault
- Spawning Pit
- Shivan Harvest
- Arcbound Ravager
Other: Control: Wizard Replica
Gain Life: Peace Strider
Cheating: Summoner's Egg
Other cards I like
Vela the Night-Clad She makes all your colorless permanents only blockable by an artifact
Storm the Vault Mana ramp
Liquimetal Coating some of those creature that are not a artifact... now it is
Phyrexian Scriptures Kill all non-artifact creatures / also places a +1/+1 counter
1 year ago
I'm going to add the following cards:
- Gallant Cavalry
- Nature's Lore
- Young Wolf
- Supply-Line Cranes
- Sultai Emissary
- Hired Blade
- Viashino Pyromancer
- Viashino Pyromancer
- Goblin Instigator
- Elvish Rejuvenator
- Plagued Rusalka
- Carrion Feeder
- Sinuous Vermin
- Phyrexian Ghoul
- Bloodflow Connoisseur
- Driver of the Dead
- Azra Bladeseeker
- Brindle Shoat
- Jungle Wayfinder
- Nissa's Pilgrimage
- Coiling Oracle
- Peace Strider
- Pierce Strider
3 years ago
Steal effects! With all your sac outlets, they're great. Zealous Conscripts, Conquering Manticore, Helm of Possession, and Molten Primordial are all awesome. And the king: Insurrection, winner of games.
Speaking of sac outlets: Bosh, Iron Golem can throw Feldon's tokens, which keep their CMC. Altar of Dementia does a lot of work. Skullclamp is a good compliment to sac outlets. and High Market+Phyrexia's Core are great when you need them. Also, Kuldotha Forgemaster can be neat.
You can't buff Etched Champion much, except for like 1 modular creature. That makes it pretty so-so. I'd cut it.
A bit dubious of Chief of the Foundry, it seems pretty low impact, considering you aren't usually going to have a huge number of artifact creatures; Feldon's thing is having 1 big guy.
You probably will never get all the Urza lands in 1 place, and it can be very bad to have them not be mountains at times. I'd cut em.
I also notice that your ramp suite is very small. Acceleration is important. Commander's Sphere, MindStone, Unstable Obelisk, Worn Powerstone, Thran Dynamo, and Gilded Lotus are a few excellent options.