|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Duel Decks: Elves vs Inventions (DDU)||None|
|Commander 2014 (C14)||Uncommon|
|New Phyrexia (NPH)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
: Add to your mana pool.
, , Sacrifice an artifact: You gain 1 life.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Phyrexia's Core Discussion
2 weeks ago
The Caves of Koilos are an important part of the history of Phyrexia, being the location of the portal that brought Yawgmoth to Old Phyrexia in the first place, setting in motion the beginning of the Great Work.
Planar Portal can be expensive to cast and to use, but it can be worth it. If you end up using it, I recommend the Invasion version, due to the flavor text.
Skeletonkey8 has the right idea with Rout. The new art shows Elesh Norn, and the old art shows Phyrexian forces overrunning Benalia, so either version works with your deck's flavor. Life's Finale is another Phyrexian boardwipe. And Damnation is ambiguous enough that it should fit.
Finally, don't forget that the plane of Rath, the Rathi Stronghold, and the Evincars were all part of the Phyrexian war plan. Guys like Volrath, Crovax, Greven, and Vhati all worked for the Phyrexians, so you can include cards featuring/mentioning all that. Of note are Volrath's Stronghold, Hatred (fun with both infect and a lifelink general), Endless Scream (also fun with infect), Reanimate, Vhati il-Dal (fun with -1/-1 counters), Tortured Existence, and the original printings of Reflecting Pool and Propaganda.
(Wow, this post ended up longer than I originally intended it to be.)
3 weeks ago
1 month ago
Individual Card Comments:
- Wayfarer's Bauble - Too Slow. Each time you recur it, it still costs 2.
- Contagion Engine How many cards can be affected by proliferate? If low, I'm not sure it is worth it.
- Spine of Ish Sah - Technically it goes to the yard, then the return to hand trigger goes on the stack. Find a way to bring it back to the battlefield before the bounce trigger resolves. Sculpting Steel copying Spine will cause Steel to come back to hand when sacrificed. Very useful.
- Impact Resonance - Really specific damage. I think it removes things after you need them to be removed.
- Unstable Obelisk - Even if you bring it back, it still costs 7 mana to remove something.
- Word of Seizing - Mindslaver is a good card because it is recurrable in your deck. This isn't. There are other gain control cards that are more useful. This and mindslaver both require you to play someone else's deck, which is a gamble whether it is worth it.
- Conjurer's Closet - How many ETB creatures do you have? Is this worth it?
- Alhammarret's Archive, Reliquary Tower, and Thought Vessel - I don't think you have enough draw to really abuse any of these. For the Archive, do you have any lifegain sources?
- Darksteel Colossus - This will never hit the graveyard, so you will always be hard casting it. Not sure if that works with your gameplan. The shuffle effect is a replacement effect, not a trigger so it doesn't use the stack.
- Hoard-Smelter Dragon - Meh, only works well with high CMC artifacts, and most of the time you'll be killing your own stuff.
- Kuldotha Forgemaster - What are you going to tutor for this that will win you the game?
- Kurkesh, Onakke Ancient - Good card, but copying what activated ability will win you the game?
- Scrap Mastery - This card is gold, and is a definite win condition in your deck. Make sure you have a way to preemptively sacrifice all of your creatures/discard your hand/mill yourself for most of your deck before resolving this.
- Unwinding Clock - Good card in this deck, but how many artifacts with tap abilities can you exploit using it?
- Karn, Silver Golem - I would only keep this for any combos associated with it. In a vacuum, he's just a good blocker.
- Skyshaper - Is create for the alpha strike single shot, I've got several big ass creatures or a shitload of tiny ones, but other than to give Blightsteel Colossus evasion, is this card super impactful?
- Phyrexia's Core, and Throne of Geth - I wouldn't consider either of these sacrifice outlets, because they are single use per rotation, and the Core costs mana. If you want sacrifice outlets I'd shoot for Ashnod's Altar, Altar of Dementia, and things that say "Sacrifice a creature:."
- Dormant Volcano - From seeing it in use, seems like you only want to see it really early on.
- Carnage Altar - I know you're in red and draw is at a premium, but 3 mana for a card is not the best.
- Too much Ramp
- Not enough Draw and Removal
- Does the deck work without Daretti? If no, find a way to protect him, or other artifact recursion sources.
- You WinCon category doesn't really have many cards that win you the game, just really impactful cards. Look for combos, or Insurrection like cards, or the dreaded MLD type effects. Basically cards that, if it resolves, win you the game.
- You have a lot of categories with one or two cards in it. I'd clean those up into more general things to get a more clear idea for what you're trying to do.
- You should probably be running more utility lands.
- Think about adding some sacrifice outlets. If this is a recursion/reanimation deck, you need to be able to kill shit when you want to.
- Red is really good at making temporary tokens, specifically artifact tokens, of things. Might be worth looking into.
- I try not to include lands in categories because they aren't abusable enough to be consistent. It gives you false category numbers. If you have 10 draw cards, but 3 are lands, you really don't have enough draw. But that's just my opinion.
- I'd try to find more "to the battlefield" recursion cards, instead of to your hand. Recasting those cards every turn causes mana problems. The "to hand" effects are still good though, just slower.
- Isochron Scepter would be good with some of the spells you have like Scrap Mastery, and Trash for Treasure.
- Tuktuk the Explorer and Feldon of the Third Path go well together, but the fact that the artifact is legendary sucks.
- Turning nonartifact cards into artifacts using effects like Liquimetal Coating is an interesting direction to look into, and there are a few cards that do similar things. Probably several useful combos to do with that. Especially if you ever get the Daretti emblem.
- Do you ever plan on getting a Daretti Emblem? Obviously you would like it, but to you, is it worth dedicating some card slots into cheating out loyalty counters to get him to 10? The problem is that he will very rarely get to 10 through use of his +2 alone. And even with Contagion Engine, people will attack him before he's at 8. Just something to think about. If you get the emblem, you've very likely won the game, so that can definitely be a win condition to pursue.
- "Control" is too ambiguous. Chaos Warp, and Steel Hellkite are removal, and Liquimetal Coating is protection(?).
- Red's draw is usually the looting (draw a card, then discard a card) and pillaging (discard a card, then draw a card) effects. These also aren't great, but using artifact recursion, cards like Mind Stone become very good draw effects if you can recur them every turn/rotation. Other abusable draws are Tamiyo's Journal, and Seer's Sundial. It might suck to give other people cards, but Howling Mine may also be worth it.
- It seems counter-intuitive, but Vandalblast might be useful, especially with Scrap Mastery.
- Are there more cards that let you cheat out artifacts from your hand like Copper Gnomes, if so that sounds like an interesting direction as well. Sneak Attack comes to mind, but
- Pentavus + Blade of the Bloodchief + Ashnod's Altar = Infinite mana.
- Nim Deathmantle + Myr Battlesphere/Pentavus + Ashnod's Altar = Infinite tokens
- Combos dont have to be infinite. If you can find a way to kill and recur Scuttling Doom Engine every turn/rotation, Id consider that a combo. Anything that puts a decent clock on everyone to answer your shit is a combo to me.
2 months ago
Next, I feel like your deck could really benefit from an artifact sacrifice outlet. A lot of your cards benefit from your artifacts dying, and it's good to be able to trigger those effects on your own terms. Although there are no free sac outlets on a budget, there are some pretty powerful options available. Phyrexia's Core is a land that lets you sacrifice artifacts, while Herald of Anguish is a powerful threat that can sac your artifacts to remove troublesome creatures. Reshape is slightly more expensive, but is a great tutor for artifacts.
One other neat card that I like in Esper decks is Ethersworn Adjudicator. It's just a very powerful piece of repeatable removal, and works very nicely with you holding up mana to activate Sydri.
I'm not so sure about the Tunnel Vision combos. Not only are they very mana-intensive, the combos work over two turns, leaving you very vulnerable to various forms of disruption. Finally, Revel in Riches feels a bit weak here. You have very few ways to actually destroy opposing creatures, and all your board wipes that destroy get rid of Revel as well.
4 months ago
Also Nevinyrral's Disk combos with Mycosynth Lattice and Darksteel Forge. Clock of Omens and Slobad, Goblin Tinkerer fits into your artifact strategy. Finally Spine of Ish Sah is a very strong card for your deck for it's synergy with Daretti's -2, Scrap Mastery, Trash for Treasure, Phyrexia's Core and Slobad if you chose to add him.
4 months ago
Back to your deck, I'd love to see a Steel Overseer in here. A lot of your artifact creatures are small utility creatures (Myr Retriever, Chief of the Foundry, Junk Diver, etc.) and Steel Overseer would help them grow to keep Ghalta cheap. Verdurous Gearhulk is 8 power for 5 mana with 4 of that power spread across your creatures however you want and is an artifact. These +1/+1 counters work well with Arcbound Reclaimer and Hangarback Walker as well.
Prophetic Prism and Terrarion could both be swapped, in my opinion. Mycosynth Wellspring generates card advantage once it's been sacrificed and helps find Forests which seems important given your very low land count. Smuggler's Copter provides card quality and not card advantage, but seems at least worth consideration.
6 months ago
Hi, I like your deck!
Here are some suggestions:
The free spot could be filled with Goblin Rabblemaster
Rogue's Passage could do some work, too
Purphoros, God of the Forge as an alternative win condition
8 months ago
Just a few comments:1. What do you plan on sacrificing with Ashnod's Altar? Only Skittering Invasion, Spawning Bed, and Blight Herder put sacrificable creatures on the board, or you'd have to sacrifice the big ones for just 2 mana... Same goes for Eldrazi Monument by the way.
For the mana you could take a look at Blinkmoth Urn, although it may also give mana to your opponents.
2. Gruesome Slaughter sounds fun, but at which point would you actually use it? Half of your creatures seem to have Annihilator, some are so weak that the extra ability won't help, and with a 10/10 you'd probably want to swing face instead of dealing 10 to a creature "for free". Maybe Akroma's Memorial fits better if you plan to have this kind of effect.
3. Which artifacts do you plan to sacrifice with Phyrexia's Core? Otherwise it would just be as good as a Wastes (see point 4).
4. Ash Barrens, Cloudpost, and Holdout Settlement seem to add nothing more than a Wastes would do. While they may look nicer, with more Wastes you could also consider running Solemn Simulacrum and Burnished Hart.
5. You are severely lacking card draw. Consider a Mind's Eye or a Sandstone Oracle.