|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Duel Decks: Elves vs. Inventors (DDU)||None|
|Commander 2016 (C16)||Common|
|Scars of Mirrodin (SOM)||Uncommon|
|Duel Decks: Elspeth vs. Tezzeret (DDF)||Common|
|Fifth Dawn (5DN)||Common|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Human Wizard
When Trinket Mage enters the battlefield, you may search your library for an artifact card with converted mana cost 1 or less, reveal that card, and put it into your hand. If you do, shuffle your library.
|Have (2)||, Taki117|
|Want (7)||ORNAMENT , Haldarr , t0ph3r , saffye , xacto14 , TheBearMan4084 , Ruslton|
Trinket Mage Discussion
5 days ago
Wow I love it. But I'm not the fan of using artifact lands. I know getting them with Trinket Mage is cool, but too risky to get them destroyed by some removal. Not worth it in my opinion. Also I'd trash out white, the deck can do fine without it.
1 week ago
This is a cool idea, although since there's not a lot of ways to assure you get the Doll, you end up just playing a kind of standard Izzet deck. Redundancy for Stuffy Doll in these colors is scarce, but you could run Mogg Maniac . Not indestructible, but will do the thing at least once. Too bad we don't have the 5cmc part of the Trinket Mage cycle yet.
Also, Nin loves Basilisk Collar .
3 weeks ago
3 weeks ago
1 month ago
Awesome, thanks for the feedback and additional insight~
I'll agree about Treefolk, and probably Sporemound. I didn't see your combo kill until you pointed it out, and at that point 'mound is too much mana for too little payoff in the combo line. And Treefolk is more cute than efficient - Tatyova is a crazy card advantage engine, and it can grind with the best of them until the end of times, or until she decks you if not careful. Treefolk helps that plan, but really, isn't needed.
Reap and Sow is expensive at 4CMC, but gets Mystic untapped. I love when land search gets me untapped stuff, so it made it into my list.
I really enjoy my suite of 1CMC blue cantrips/card advantage. I like being able to chain, to pick cards, and go from there, but it's feeling worse and worse to scry when I just shuffle anyway. Impulse, too - I like that it digs 4 deep, but since it's very common for me to tutor a land, it feels like a wasted 'dig' after I shuffle my unused stuff back. I'm considering things like Mulch , Grapple with the Past , Mental Note , Pieces of the Puzzle , or Scout the Borders . I think Taigam's Scheming / Contingency Plan seem decent. They don't draw itself, but there's always a land in-hand to pick up any card we left on top we need, or they get 5 cards out of the deck that aren't critical to the kill. Have you tried any of them? The deck is pretty graveyard based anyway, so putting stuff there isn't bad, and concentrating the deck for the brute-force tutoring we do of just drawing into the combo seems good.
Turn 3 Tatyova is feels good, and I have all of three ways to do it, between Sakura-Tribe Scout , Skyshroud Ranger , and Search for Tomorrow . Turn one land accel is the only way she comes out on turn three, so I'm going to try Arboreal Grazer (which does any land) and possibly Elvish Pioneer (only does basics, boo). Have you tried them? I'd also be happy if there were more targets for Displace out that can drop lands, just in case.
I dropped Trinket Mage for Dizzy Spell , since it costs the same, finds everything the Mage does, but also finds High Tide and Crop Rotation . I don't have the same Artifact package as you do, so having a body to flicker if need be to get more goodies makes sense, but it's still recurrable as an instant.
Thinking about it, I'm probably still more of the value-oriented deck with a combo finish, whereas you're in the hard-line combo line.
Final question - I don't get how Cloud of Faeries gets infinite mana. High Tide and Peregrine Drake , sure, but if you Flicker Mystic and Cloud, it costs 3 and you get 3 untapped lands. Is Simic Growth Chamber the final piece you need? Probably just answered my question. Good job, me.
Thanks, and awesome deck!
1 month ago
Wish I could +2 this because I love the Always Sunny reference and because Circu is such a rad general!
You might like these: Oblivion Sower , Mirror of Fate , Trinket Mage (finds Sensei's Top), Dizzy Spell , Treasure Mage (finds Bolas's Citadel), Laboratory Maniac , Aetherflux Reservoir , Doom Whisperer , Demonic Consultation , Mana Severance , Tunnel Vision , Necrologia , Future Sight .
1 month ago
Hey, you're welcome. Been a while since I commented on your deck. I like the changes you've made. You've learned a lot in 9 months. The differences are huge, good job. Are you consistently winning?
I think your deck can use streamlining. What I see is lots of high mana cost redundancy which you don't need because it's making the avg. CMC very high, rounded up 4.0. It's high because there's too many high mana cost cards. Consider cutting several for low mana cost cards that draw? Remember you have your high mana cost card that you want to cast, it's sitting in the Command Zone.
Streamlining means cutting unnecessary cards such as Arcanis the Omnipotent , Venser's Journal , Time Stretch and Warstorm Surge . Arcanis is not needed because you have Consecrated Sphinx and Niv-Mizzet, Parun ; both will draw many more cards, even the turn you play them and are flying threats. Having three six drop flying threats is enough. Journal is high mana cost no max hand size effect which is not needed when you have three other low mana cost cards that are better that give you this effect. You have Time Warp and Beacon of Tomorrows so you don't also need to play Stretch since Stretch is 10 mana. Both Impact Tremors and Purphoros, God of the Forge are better than Surge and Surge is six mana.
Another part of your deck that could use some improvements is the manabase. 26x basic lands is a lot and you don't have to play so many because there's even budget playable lands you could add. I'll suggest budget lands and some nonbudget ones:
- Shivan Reef
- Ash Barrens
- Grixis Panorama
- Mystic Sanctuary
- Cephalid Coliseum
- Castle Vantress
- Fiery Islet
- City of Brass
- Reflecting Pool
Other cards to consider adding:
- Narset, Parter of Veils : busted with wheels because your opponents discard their hands and don't get to draw, only you draw.
- Trinket Mage : tutor for Skullclamp, Sol, or Leng. Gets you a win condition, ramp or no max hand size.
- Mystic Remora : one drop, one of the best sources of repeatable draw in multiplayer Commander.
- Brainstorm : one drop, draw three.
- Ponder : one drop draw.
- Preordain : one drop draw.
- Faithless Looting : one drop, draw two, flashback good with wheels.
- Winds of Change : one drop wheel.
- Treasure Cruise : delve is good with wheels, one drop, draw three.
- Molten Psyche : wheel.
- Arcane Signet
- Talisman of Creativity
- Shared Animosity : repeatable pump the power of all attacking Insects.
- Bident of Thassa : repeatable draw, draw a card for each Insect that does damage to a player.
- Narset's Reversal
- Chain of Vapor
- Chaos Warp
- Mystic Retrieval : flashback good with wheels.
Cards to consider cutting:
- Temple of the False God: can't tap for mana until you have five lands in play.
- Venser's Journal
- Arcanis the Omnipotent
- Time Stretch
- Warstorm Surge
- Mana Flare
- Jushi Apprentice / Tomoya the Revealer
- Psychic Spiral
- Windreader Sphinx
- Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur
- Gilded Lotus
- Darksteel Ingot
- Keep Watch
- Enter the Infinite
- Thought Reflection
- Fateful Showdown
1 month ago
Hi epsqm, glad to hear you're on the Tatyova side!! :)
1) The common killing line is just the combo, which you can achieve through several different lines. The most common line is to find Mystic Sanctuary and Ghostly Flicker as a start (together with Tatyova of course). From there on you only need some kind of mana acceleration like High Tide , Cloud of Faeries or Peregrine Drake and then you have infinite mana, infinite carddraw and infinite life. Finding this combo is the actual challenge of piloting this deck. Then you can finish by bouncing everyones permanents ( Capsize or Temporal Fissure ) into killing them with Adventuring Gear , yes, because your creatures also have infinite power then. I must admit that I am running a Gear-less list right now, and I am finishing through Compulsive Research :D The Gear has always been a dead card whereas Research can work as an actual card. Especially when you're trying to go off and youre only searching for the last piece of the puzzle, a card draw spell is nice to have. And even if they exile your graveyard with the Research in it, they will still lose the game if you bounce them all their permanents lol They can decide to either die fast or slowly :P It's not easy to come back without any lands, any other permanents and against a Tatyova player how could always go infinite on instant speed again ;) So basically with the combo you can lock everybody out not giving them any chance, even if you didnt have any other win con.
2) Sporemound has been in the list from my very first scratches on, and had to go as the very last part of "old, good ideas". The thing is: This deck is so fast at killing people through the combo, it actually hurts to slam down a 5drop that could be countered or removed and I would have been time walked then. Even in team games, I managed to kill with Tatyova like Turn6 even through some sort of removal and counterspells. But its really challenging, as I said. I have goldfished this list about 50 or 60 times and actually played it like 15 times. And its never boring because its so challenging to go for the right lines.
3) Relic of Progenitus has never been great for me, but I kinda do see the reason. I just feel you never really wanna play without a relic in your deck, especially if you're playing Trinket Mage nontheless. Feel free to exclude the Relic from your list, but there is other cruel combo decks out there as well. And sometimes other people wanna lock you out as well. I think I once used the Relic to break the Soulherder 's value chain, because he was blinking his Archaeomancer and always got his Counterspell back. Relic was my only way to break that lock, if I remember that game correctly. And sometimes Relic is just a bad cantrip and just fine.
4) Wormfang Newt is new to me, I have not seen this card, I will be thinking about that. Going off with Displace is super hard in this deck and Newt surely helps with that. The most difficult part is to find a slot for it. Thanks a lot for that suggestion.
5) Tilling Treefolk has been in and out. You gotta know: When I started building a Tatyova Deck, I was thinking about a great value deck with all the shenanigans. But then in the middle of the testing, Mystic Sanctuary got printed and suddenly the whole deck had the chance to become a great combo deck I noticed. So I went back to the drawing board and had to cut so many great but "just fair" cards ;) There isn't even a Mulldrifter in this deck anymore. And so even Treefolk had to go. And the Grixis Panorama and the Naya Panorama went with him.
I have about 80 cards (or more) that were in this deck, but had to go at some point.
Trinket Mage occurrence in decks from the last year
All decks: 0.05%
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.06%
UR (Izzet): 0.5%