|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Return to Ravnica (RTR)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Counter target spell unless its controller pays (X). If that spell is countered this way, remove it from the game instead of putting it into its owner's graveyard.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (14)||ibraJG84 , ironax , Mousemke , CAPTAINxCOOKIES , richardmv , bradyofportdetroit , Kimimaro , NorthernCrow , Falte , dplerner , Regulus1010 , TThors , darthnuchi , fireborne1986|
1 week ago
Finally got a chance to sit down and edit the decklist. I removed Izzet Boilerworks, Call the Skybreaker, Inexorable Tide, Syncopate, and Clash of Wills. Tezzeret's Gambit, Diminishing Returns, Fuel for the Cause, and Mystic Remora were put in. I see what you mean about the X counterspells, but having a few to generate experience counters are nice. If the deck runs correctly, Master the Way should be dealing an absurd amount of damage as long as I'm not top decking. Ravaging Blaze is just good budgeted spot removal and burn. Spelltwine happens to be super versatile when it comes to my graveyard, and there is going to be at least 1 good sorcery and instant in 3 other plays graveyards. I'm on the fence on Wild Ricochet as I see what you are saying.
2 weeks ago
So this will be the same as my above comment. Anything I mention here does not mean that they are bad cards, rather I personally think they are less efficient for your deck's goals and strategies.
These are some cards I would look into cutting/replacing: Show
- Personally, I'm not huge on this card. Two 5/5 flyers is okay for blocking, but with all the control this deck puts out it doesn't really matter if you have chumps in the air. Plus, losing land drops/mana means casting less things, which is never good.
- All are good cards, but lose their strength when you don't have Mizzix out. Additionally, they aren't hard counters. Meaning that if your opponent does have the mana to sink into it, you're out of luck. Swan Song, Red Elemental Blast, and/or Pyroblast could be good replacements.
- I know this one seems crazy to take out, but really after you get so many XP counters, getting extra counters doesn't really matter. I see that Tezzeret's Gambit is in the side board, so I would say through that in here instead. That can be free card draw, while also providing Proliferate.
- Additionally, you get no discount on casting this 5 drop. Mystic Remora could also be considered as a replacement for this, because early game that card can essentially be Ancestral Recall in one turn rotation.
- I hate the bounce lands because they set you so far behind tempo. I honestly think running 36 lands will be fine for this deck, so I recommend cutting this in favor of one of the cheap draw cards (which help land drop consistency).
- This is alright, but without the Mizzix discount this is pretty pricy to draw a card and deal some amount of damage. It has a high ceiling of dealing a chunk of damage, but it can definitely be a dead card sometimes.
- Not a bad card, but Diminishing Returns is probably a better card overall, so I'd say just swap these out.
- You will most likely hit the Spell Mastery, but I hate how it is an X spell that has to be set up in order to not be solely creature removal. I'd say take this out for Pyroblast or Red Elemental Blast, in my opinion.
- This can be a huge whiff, and the lack of control you have over the kind of deck your opponent plays/what is in their graveyard makes this too unreliable. Your play group may make this card playable, so in that case keep it. If not, it might be too expensive CMC-wise to justify the variance this card has.
- I know that this is essentially Ancestral Recall, but I think that Dig Through Time is the better card between the two because of its instant speed. It gives you more cards insight for better selection as well.
- Similar to Pull from the Deep, just having Diminishing Returns in here replaced the need for both of these cards.
- I've never been to huge on this card, and really you only need so much, if any, redirection in your deck. You have cheaper (granted, less powerful) redirection in this deck, so I would recommend just swapping this specific one out for Fuel for the Cause. More Proliferate and more counter magic is always good.
I won't suggest any more until you see these and gauge whether or not these would be good cuts and replacements. I know there is more you could do if you wanted to, so let's just see what you think so far before we get too crazy here! Haha. Keep me updated on what you're thinking, man! Always enjoy helping other players.
2 months ago
3 months ago
Looks quite solid on first glance. You run lot's of good cards and your curve and average cmc looks good. However you also run a few bad cards. Let me pitch some ideas for replacements:
Maybe try Kindred Discovery and name drake? Could be worth it and might draw an insane amount of cards.Maybe Tamiyo, the Moon Sage and target yourself with the -2 if you have lot's of drakes.Reliquary Tower and Thought Vessel because keeping 20 counters in hand is fun.
If you ever run close to milling yourself, try fitting Laboratory Maniac in as another fun wincon.If that way doesn't work you can try the opposite path and go recurring stuff with Timetwister(Budget: Day's Undoing / Time Reversal)
Refill your entire hand with Windfall.
More playable counterspells in no particular power order Abjure, Condescend, Flusterstorm(Opponents also help with storm), Logic Knot, !!!Mana Drain!!!, Memory Lapse, Mental Misstep(if your meta is running many 1cmc spells), Spell Snare, Miscalculation, Power Sink, Pact of Negation, Prohibit, Remand, Spell Siphon, Syncopate, Dissolve, maybe Unified Will. Please don't play all of them, some of the conditional ones might be VERY bad. Sometimes a Cancel is better than a cmc2 conditional that you can't cast for some reason. You know how your deck plays and what fit's in there. More here: http://magiccards.info/query?q=o%3Acounter+o%3Atarget+o%3Aspell+c%21u+cmc%3C%3D3&v=card&s=cname
As I said this is some ideas, some might be very bad but most should be quite good in the deck. There's so many ways to play Talrand, just keep playing lot's of spells so you keep making free drakes. Maybe even play Phyrexian Altar and or Ashnod's Altar to pitch your drakes in to pay for more counterspells..
If you ask specific questions and provide some info about your meta I'd be happy to help :)
3 months ago
Bitter OrdealRakdos Charm Infinite Obliteration Containment PriestPath to Exile Swords to Plowshares Leyline of the Void Scrabbling Claws Crypt Incursion Honor the Fallen Dissipate Void Shatter Syncopate Cursed Totem those are only a small amount of the other cards that hose you, i could continue but yea
4 months ago
Seems pretty creature heavy given what you're shooting for, I think. Take advantage of the blue with some bounce and/or counter (Mana Leak, Syncopate, Vapor Snag, another Cyclonic Rift). I would pick the Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind over dracogenius if you're wanting to do things with card draw and maybe some Faithless Looting, Desperate Ravings, or Dangerous Wager, maybe Browbeat or Reforge the Soul . Kiln Fiend and Nivix Cyclops are killer, especially with a few Artful Dodge, which has that nice flashback. Maybe drop the Wee Dragonauts since you've already got a playset of Stormchaser Mage and the 2 Enigma Drake. Maybe cut down on the number of Bloodwater Entity and replace them with instants or sorceries. It's nice to pull from the graveyard, I like Mystic Retrieval for that since the flashback means I don't feel bad about discarding it.
I realize I just wrote a lot. I'm currently working on converting my vintage Izzet to modern so these are things I've been thinking about recently anyways. Hope at least a little bit of this is helpful.
6 months ago
Jace's Sanctum or Iceberg? I think it will fit in with your ramp spells. Recall? Sphinx's Tutelage for another end game? Syncopate or Dissipate or Spell Blast or Power Sink? I think some more draw wouldn't hurt anything, consider these - Tolarian Winds? Windfall? Stroke of Genius? Prosperity? Read the Runes? Also, where the hell is Guile? That card makes me want to play Baral, even if it's a shittier Leyline of the Void or Rest in Peace. Hope this help <3
7 months ago
I believe that match was standard at the time, but no reason why you can't make it modern. A few things to tweak: Mana Leak, Remand and Spell Snare are going to be some of the better options for counter spells than Syncopate or Dissolve.
Path to Exile is strictly better than Last Breath. You'll also want some boardwipes for the aggro and midrange decks, so Supreme Verdict or Wrath of God are best. But since you're running red Anger of the Gods or Slagstorm are solid too.
Lastly, your mana base is very slow. You don't want that many lands to come in tapped since you want mana open to play answers to threats. I'd say ditch the temples for some shock lands.
Not sure if you're looking to make this competitive or casual but I think you have a good start. Here's a link to my U/W deck if you want to check it out for ideas.