|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
Creature — Human Druid
((R/G) can be paid with either (Red) or (Green).)
Sacrifice Wild Cantor: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.
Wild Cantor Discussion
2 months ago
Anyways, feel free to check out my list for ideas. Feedback, Upvotes, and/or Ideas on any of my decks is appreciated. Animar, Gaea's Hemorrhoid
3 months ago
I've categorized the cards in your deck here: https://deckstats.net/decks/50753/1215572-animar
The following analysis is based on that categorization. Several cards are in more than one category, so I've categorized them based on their primary or common case. E.g. Ancient Animus is both "Removal" and "+1/+1 Counter Interaction", but you're going to cast it to kill something -- the +1/+1 counter is a nice bonus.
There's no explicit or stated goals of the deck, so I can't evaluate the cards against that. If you have a goal, let me know.
The core effect of Animar is to play creatures, which grows Animar. As Animar grows, he helps you play more (and more expensive) creatures. Some notable limitations:
- Animar only decreases colorless costs
- Animar only cares about creatures
- Animar only cares about casting creatures
Animar is cheap to cast and protects himself from most removal (due to his protection from Black and White). Because of this, we can assume that we will get him out early and keep him out long enough for him to provide benefit. We'll build the deck assuming Animar is on the battlefield at all times.
Since Animar reduces the colorless component of creature costs, we'll get the biggest benefit from colorless creatures. As with any unlimited cost reduction effect, we should look for ways to break the free case. The obvious one here is to bounce and recast colorless creatures for free.
Since we're playing all of these (hopefully free) creatures, Animar will grow quickly. Giving Animar good evasion will give us to win on commander damage quickly.
To best abuse Animar, we want:
- Many creatures across a range of mid to high colorless costs
- As many of those creatures in our hand as possible
- An many +1/+1 counters on Animar as soon as possible
- A means to make Animar unblockable
The easiest way to break Animar is to create an engine that casts colorless creatures and bounces them to your hand as many times as possible during a turn. We'll want ETB/LTB effects on those creatures and cards that care about creatures entering and leaving the battlefield. Additionally, we'll want cards that care about +1/+1 counters on a creature.
Favor creatures over non-creatures, as you get a discount on creatures. Try to keep colored costs to a minimum - avoid double or more colors in a cost.
Abusable Colorless Creatures:
- Myr Battlesphere creates four Myr tokens
- Precursor Golem creates two 3/3 tokens
- Artisan of Kozilek reanimates a creature
- Duplicant exiles a creature
- Anodet Lurker and Peace Strider gain three life
- Electrostatic Pummeler and Multiform Wonder give three engergy
- Reservoir Walker gains three life and gives three enery
- Grim Poppet gives three -1/-1 counters to put on something
- Meteor Golem destroys something
- Mirror Golem exiles a card from a graveyard
- Pierce Strider drains three life from an opponent
- Skyscanner draws a card
- Mindless Automaton draws a card via a +1/+1 counter interaction
- Solemn Simulacrum tutors a basic land into play
- Thought-Knot Seer can effectively mill and oppenent with ETB and LTB triggers
- Triskelion deals damage via a +1/+1 counter interaction
- Workhorse grants colorless mana via a +1/+1 counter interaction
- Oblivion Sower steals lands from your opponents deck
- Panharmonicon !!!
- Cream of the Crop
- Decoction Module
- Impact Tremors
- Leyline of Vitality
- Hardened Scales
- Simic Ascendancy
- Path of Discovery
- Warstorm Surge
- Wild Pair
- Herald of Secret Streams
- Thassa, God of the Sea
- Whispersilk Cloak
- Protective Bubble
- Aqueous Form
- Keeper of Keys
- Key to the City
- Passwall Adept
- Rogue's Passage
- Aether Tunnel
- Cloak of Mists
- Suspicious Bookcase
- Marchesa's Smuggler
- Tricks of the Trade
We'll want to get as many creatures down as quickly as we can. Card draw and other card advantage effects are valuable.
- Vizier of the Menagerie
- Sunbird's Invocation
- Stolen Strategy
- Rashmi, Eternities Crafter
- Garruk's Horde
- Descendants' Path
- Elvish Visionary
- Fierce Empath
- Wall of Blossoms
Changes to the Existing Cards
I would consider cutting way down on the amount of ramp. Mana dorks get the deck running early, but they don't have any synergy with the core effects. I suspect that's what was leaving you feeling like you had a dead hand.
Cards that seem particularly problematic:
- Wild Cantor . Requires a sac for effect. Doesn't get cost reduction. A dork that taps for mana would be better.
- Tinder Wall . Same as Wild Cantor sans the cost reduction bit.
- Vivid Creek and Vivid Crag . These both ETB tapped, don't have basic land types, and only provide off-color mana twice. If would strongly consider running Amonkhet cycling duals over these.
- Ancient Ziggurat . Be careful, as this mana can only be used for casting creature spells. I don't like this land in most decks.
- Bond Beetle . I have no idea why this is in here. It works once and has very little synergy with the deck. Verdurous Gearhulk would be better, but still not great.
- Green Sun's Zenith . I think a cheaper card that tutored to hand and then let you cast the card would be better, as you'd get the cost reduction effect and other synergies. No cards come to mind, but there are lots that look at the top X cards and tutor to hand ( Gift of the Gargantuan , etc.).
3 months ago
Seems a bit slow and - terrain elemental, hungry spriggan, young wolf (in this shell), mogg flunkies, seismic stomp, only 2 rancors - are all odd choices, . Now, first suggestions are a bit weird - add white. This will allow you access to two things - Wild Nacatl and since going three colors will necessitate fixing in the form of Evolving Wilds and Naya Panorama , you can include a landfall package as well in Plated Geopede , Steppe Lynx , Snapping Gnarlid , Makindi Sliderunner .
The blades are another option if you do not want to go 3 colors - Naya Hushblade , Jund Hackblade are some of the best creatures for this deck. To facilitate their multicolored-ness, add Wild Cantor instead of wolf for example. Another great GR addition is Giantbaiting .
3 months ago
Thanks for checking it out and the suggestions ReaperGeko! I am definitely going to add Scavenging Ooze in the SB and check out Wild Cantor . I do like Nature's Claim as well, but I do have Ancient Grudge for instant speed artifact removal w/ flashback to top it off. That being said I probably do not need 4 pieces of side artifact hate, but it sure is fun dropping a T2 or T3 Creeping Corrosion after affinity has just dumped their entire hand. To me Hornet Queen is a great versatile threat, that can either hold up huge creatures that our opponent has because they cannot attack into 5 deathtouchers and buy us turns to go off and win. It can also easily be a finisher with Kessig Wolf Run or a final on Garruk Wildspeaker . I used to run Primal Command in the mainboard in this deck and more often than not I would tutor up the Queen with it.
3 months ago
I love Animar... it's a weird relationship. I have several suggestions for you and I'll try to break it down by category. I'd suggest dropping several of your non-creature spells to find room for similar abilities on legs.
Ramp: Sakura-Tribe Elder , Somberwald Sage , Shaman of Forgotten Ways , and Rishkar, Peema Renegade . Beastcaller Savant also works like any morph/eldrazi for Cloudstone combos. Bloom Tender is amazing if you can afford one.
Counter Doubling: Pir, Imaginative Rascal .
3 months ago
@procy- Exploration is a more reliable turn 2 Animar option and is more useful later on. Arbor elf requires a few more hoops to jump through because it's a green creature that's essentially adding green mana. It doesn't color fix for Animar by turn 2 unless the land used to play it was a dual with forest as one of its types.
I'd run Wild Cantor over arbor elf and Exploration over Wild Cantor...
on ZA WARUDO
3 months ago
Nice deck. I do have a few suggestions though. I'll try to break it down by category.
Last is Spellseeker to look up Cyclonic Rift, Glimpse of Nature, Pact of Negation etc.
Very similar to my Animar list. Feel free to check out my list for ideas. Feedback, Upvotes, and/or Ideas on any of my decklists is appreciated. Animar, Gaea's Hemorrhoid
Wild Cantor occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.0%