|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Ravnica Allegiance: Guild Kits (GK2)||Uncommon|
|Modern Masters 2015 Edition (MM2)||Common|
|Duel Decks: Izzet vs. Golgari (DDJ)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Spirit
, Sacrifice a creature: Target creature gets -1/-1 until end of turn.
Plagued Rusalka Discussion
2 weeks ago
Next a few cards swap suggestions to increase utility and threat level: Cyclone Sire < Herald of Secret Streams , Plagued Rusalka < Viscera Seer , Treasonous Ogre < Solemn Simulacrum , Blind with Anger < Disallow , Spinal Embrace < Sower of Temptation , Culling the Weak < Hostage Taker
3 months ago
Plagued Rusalka is amazing. It’s another sacrifice effect that can also stop weenie decks from going wide by killing their 1/1s. Fists of Ironwood gives trample to your main threats as well as providing 2 tokens to sacrifice.
7 months ago
Nice write-up! Probably took some good time to type it all down.
I did have to sort your deck on type instead of your custom types to make some sence of it though ;)
I’ve been working on a meren deck with a similar sacrifice idea for a couple of years now, though the plan is a bit different they here I do have some suggestions and tips based on my experience with the archetype.
There are probably some cards here that have been mentioned before or have been tested, so sorry for that.
sac outlets are the bread and butter of these types of deck. You always need one in play or the deck falls short (this is also one of the weak point that you can attack these decks on). Some sac outlets that I haven’t seen mentioned yet:
1) Evolutionary Leap . Except that it’s not a free sac outlet I think one of the best out there!
2) Spawning Pit . One of my favorites, create more tokens from sacing creatures and it’s free to activate. Also it can quite easily go infinite with Doubling Season
3) Attrition . It’s probably mentioned somewhere her and I probably looked over it because everyone knows this.
4) Altar of Dementia . Better in meren then it’s here but still has its uses if you want to go with an infinite combo.
5) Culling Dais . Value
6) Dark Privilege . Protection of commander and outlet in one.
7) Fallen Ideal . Recurring outlet is always nice.
8) Yahenni, Undying Partisan . Indestructible outlet.
9) Helm of Possession . If people are going big.
10) Plagued Rusalka . If people are going wide.
11) Claws of Gix . Can sac any permanent and is the cheapest outlet ever made.
Some utility creatures:
12) Wirewood Herald . This is one of my favorite fun cards in my deck. Your already playing a few good other elves (rec sage, izoni, wood elves, elvish visionary) so I definitely suggest adding this one!
13) Viridian Emissary and Primal Druid are all stars in my deck. Might be useful here over some of the 3 mana ramp creatures?? (Emissary is a bit better because of clamp, and it’s an elf).
14) Golgari Findbroker . Witness #2, also it’s an elf.
15) Sengir Autocrat and Mitotic Slime . These cards give 4 and 7 sacrifices respectively. They are some of the payoff cards that I use. Especially fond of autocrat since it works with savra and skullclamp very well.
16) Reassembling Skeleton . Another one of my payoff cards, and can get nuts of I have a good board. Also there are few ways to go infinite with this one (there is a 4 card combo with this in your deck right now).
17) Savra, Queen of the Golgari . It’s an elf and since it’s a creature its easier to tutor then an enchantment. The life gain is also nice!
And one more random card that doesn’t belong in above categories:
18) Foster . At 4 mana a bit expensive but boy what value this card can give!
Some of the cars you tested and took out I’d like to comment on. I find them very very useful and would probably never cut them in my deck:
19) Fecundity . This card is the best card in my deck, the only time it’s not great is when I’m playing against weenies or people are trading creatures with each other without me having a board presents. I don’t really care if people draw a card if I kill there 6 mana creatures because it still slows them down. What’s so good about this card that It provides us with a great amount of value. This card draws of tokens which is awesome and most of the creatures your running give to sac triggers anyway. In 90% the cases this card will generate more value for us then for other players.
20) Deathreap Ritual . The only reason I’d ever cut this card is the mana cost, which at 4 is a bit expensive. You however stated the reason for excluding this card is the lack of value. I’d like to point out that Morbid doesn’t only trigger at the end of your turn but at the end of EVERY turn. It also triggers when any creature dies, so it doesn’t have to be yours and, like fecundity, it triggers of tokens dying to!! In a four player game this card can give an easy 4 cards a round.
21) Golgari Germination . I like this mostly because I play above mentioned cards which benefit hugely from tokens dying, but even without this it’s a great card rewarding you for any sacrifice and being an enchantment it’s a bit more durable as well.
22) Sakura-Tribe Elder . At two mana and a build in sac outlet this card is a cheap ramp spell that functions at all time and can provide value even if you don’t have a sac outlet in play. But if you have experienced trough testing that you get more value out of a 3 drop ramp creature then it might be different for your deck compared to meren.
Hereby I end my epistle with a last note that if your looking to take out some card I’d look at everything above 4 mana and everything with X in the mana cost. I find I always take out these in the end since I can’t cast them reliably. (5 drops stay when they are very good for the deck though).
1 year ago
I'm going to add the following cards:
- Gallant Cavalry
- Nature's Lore
- Young Wolf
- Supply-Line Cranes
- Sultai Emissary
- Hired Blade
- Viashino Pyromancer
- Viashino Pyromancer
- Goblin Instigator
- Elvish Rejuvenator
- Plagued Rusalka
- Carrion Feeder
- Sinuous Vermin
- Phyrexian Ghoul
- Bloodflow Connoisseur
- Driver of the Dead
- Azra Bladeseeker
- Brindle Shoat
- Jungle Wayfinder
- Nissa's Pilgrimage
- Coiling Oracle
- Peace Strider
- Pierce Strider
2 years ago
Pauper spirits with Tortured Existence is fun, especially using cards like Plagued Rusalka along with cards like Ashen-Skin Zubera, Dripping-Tongue Zubera and Floating-Dream Zubera. Thief of Hope is a great engine for life drain and getting spirits back to the hand.
2 years ago
I play in a play group that has tons of Indestructible creatures, I simply need the -1/-1 theme the deck has going for it, on top of the Grave Pact abilities. The Plagued Rusalka has saved me from Prossh, Skyraider of Kher so many times.
We've got a guy who runs hand hate all ready, and it works great. I just don't like it, to all those who are curious about it, it wins games.
You're right to suggest grave hate too, I'll tinker with the deck and see what I come up with.
Thank you @Force_of_Willb for the suggestions, I do wonder though why you would take tree of perdition out? I just tested it, and it seemed fine.
3 years ago
Hey there! Thanks for looking at my deck (Let 'em Die [Primer: Shirei, Shizo's Caretaker])! Here's some general suggestions for you:
Pawn of Ulamog and Sifter of Skulls are amazing token producers. The eldrazi tokens they make can be used for mana ramping, and can sacrifice themselves for death triggers. Neat! I'm testing out the Fabricate abilities of Weaponcraft Enthusiast and Marionette Master as well.
Smothering Abomination, Harvester of Souls, and Grim Haruspex are great for generating card draw for every creature that dies. Vampiric Rites is a 1-drop enchantment (kinda hard to remove) that gives you card draw. Maybe take out the one-time use spells like Read the Bones for these.
I personally like Deathgreeter over Bottle Gnomes, and it has pretty consistently done a higher amount of life gain. Zulaport Cutthroat is a must-have, IMO. It's often my quickest wincon. Gray Merchant of Asphodel and Falkenrath Noble are good for this too, if you have ways to reduce their power to recur them.
You do have a fair number of things with >1 power, or that boost their power. I might recommend Plagued Rusalka, Fume Spitter, and/or Necropede as ways to reduce the power of your bigger creatures, or as a form of removal against your opponents. Maybe instead of Drakestown Forgotten.
You have a lot of discard effects (which is good!), but several of them are sorcery speed (Sadistic Hypnotist, Brain Weevil, Augur of Skulls) or need to be paid for (Drainpipe Vermin). Or that don't recur at all Sadistic Augermage. I might recommend more stuff like Noxious Toad, Mesmeric Fiend, or Disciple of Phenax. That can be used on each opponents turn.
Scarblade Elite doesn't work unless you have another Assassin in graveyard, and only up to 4 times max, and doesn't even recur itself under Shirei. And I like Dutiful Attendant over things like Death Denied or Gravepurge. Maybe look into Living Death as well?
Hope that's not too much info! Welcome to the Perpetual Weenie Murder Club!
3 years ago
I agree mostly with illumfolly. I'll expand a little bit.
Citanul Flute is nice, but it's kind of an expensive tutor. I like Jar of Eyeballs more. Corrosive Mentor used to be in here when I tried a -1/-1 counter subtheme with Necroskitter and friends. It just wasn't enough for me. And I never realized that nonbo with Crypt Rats. I'd rather have Swiftfoot Boots over Whispersilk Cloak, but I took it out for Shred Memory so that I could tutor for the type of protection that I need at that moment. Mesmeric Fiend is nice; I have a similar effect in Brain Maggot, and I should probably get one for the 1v1 version of this deck which leans more heavily on discard. Phyrexian Plaguelord is like a more expensive, big-bodied Plagued Rusalka; Yes, the later has a mana cost to activate it, but I find it worth it. And I've thought about Shadows of the Past, but I don't have room for it over my pure card draw options and Viscera Seer.
I like your suggestions. Most of them could totally have a place in a Shirei deck, but my build doesn't have room for those particulars.
No data for this card yet.