Artifact Creature — Construct
When Multiform Wonder enters the battlefield, you get (three energy counters).
Pay : Multiform Wonder gains your choice of flying, vigilance, or lifelink until end of turn.
Pay : Multiform Wonder gets +2/-2 or -2/+2 until end of turn.
|Have (3)||metalmagic , DoctorDax , gildan_bladeborn|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Multiform Wonder Discussion
1 year ago
I've categorized the cards in your deck here: https://deckstats.net/decks/50753/1215572-animar
The following analysis is based on that categorization. Several cards are in more than one category, so I've categorized them based on their primary or common case. E.g. Ancient Animus is both "Removal" and "+1/+1 Counter Interaction", but you're going to cast it to kill something -- the +1/+1 counter is a nice bonus.
There's no explicit or stated goals of the deck, so I can't evaluate the cards against that. If you have a goal, let me know.
The core effect of Animar is to play creatures, which grows Animar. As Animar grows, he helps you play more (and more expensive) creatures. Some notable limitations:
- Animar only decreases colorless costs
- Animar only cares about creatures
- Animar only cares about casting creatures
Animar is cheap to cast and protects himself from most removal (due to his protection from Black and White). Because of this, we can assume that we will get him out early and keep him out long enough for him to provide benefit. We'll build the deck assuming Animar is on the battlefield at all times.
Since Animar reduces the colorless component of creature costs, we'll get the biggest benefit from colorless creatures. As with any unlimited cost reduction effect, we should look for ways to break the free case. The obvious one here is to bounce and recast colorless creatures for free.
Since we're playing all of these (hopefully free) creatures, Animar will grow quickly. Giving Animar good evasion will give us to win on commander damage quickly.
To best abuse Animar, we want:
- Many creatures across a range of mid to high colorless costs
- As many of those creatures in our hand as possible
- An many +1/+1 counters on Animar as soon as possible
- A means to make Animar unblockable
The easiest way to break Animar is to create an engine that casts colorless creatures and bounces them to your hand as many times as possible during a turn. We'll want ETB/LTB effects on those creatures and cards that care about creatures entering and leaving the battlefield. Additionally, we'll want cards that care about +1/+1 counters on a creature.
Favor creatures over non-creatures, as you get a discount on creatures. Try to keep colored costs to a minimum - avoid double or more colors in a cost.
Abusable Colorless Creatures:
- Myr Battlesphere creates four Myr tokens
- Precursor Golem creates two 3/3 tokens
- Artisan of Kozilek reanimates a creature
- Duplicant exiles a creature
- Anodet Lurker and Peace Strider gain three life
- Electrostatic Pummeler and Multiform Wonder give three engergy
- Reservoir Walker gains three life and gives three enery
- Grim Poppet gives three -1/-1 counters to put on something
- Meteor Golem destroys something
- Mirror Golem exiles a card from a graveyard
- Pierce Strider drains three life from an opponent
- Skyscanner draws a card
- Mindless Automaton draws a card via a +1/+1 counter interaction
- Solemn Simulacrum tutors a basic land into play
- Thought-Knot Seer can effectively mill and oppenent with ETB and LTB triggers
- Triskelion deals damage via a +1/+1 counter interaction
- Workhorse grants colorless mana via a +1/+1 counter interaction
- Oblivion Sower steals lands from your opponents deck
- Panharmonicon !!!
- Cream of the Crop
- Decoction Module
- Impact Tremors
- Leyline of Vitality
- Hardened Scales
- Simic Ascendancy
- Path of Discovery
- Warstorm Surge
- Wild Pair
- Herald of Secret Streams
- Thassa, God of the Sea
- Whispersilk Cloak
- Protective Bubble
- Aqueous Form
- Keeper of Keys
- Key to the City
- Passwall Adept
- Rogue's Passage
- Aether Tunnel
- Cloak of Mists
- Suspicious Bookcase
- Marchesa's Smuggler
- Tricks of the Trade
We'll want to get as many creatures down as quickly as we can. Card draw and other card advantage effects are valuable.
- Vizier of the Menagerie
- Sunbird's Invocation
- Stolen Strategy
- Rashmi, Eternities Crafter
- Garruk's Horde
- Descendants' Path
- Elvish Visionary
- Fierce Empath
- Wall of Blossoms
Changes to the Existing Cards
I would consider cutting way down on the amount of ramp. Mana dorks get the deck running early, but they don't have any synergy with the core effects. I suspect that's what was leaving you feeling like you had a dead hand.
Cards that seem particularly problematic:
- Wild Cantor . Requires a sac for effect. Doesn't get cost reduction. A dork that taps for mana would be better.
- Tinder Wall . Same as Wild Cantor sans the cost reduction bit.
- Vivid Creek and Vivid Crag . These both ETB tapped, don't have basic land types, and only provide off-color mana twice. If would strongly consider running Amonkhet cycling duals over these.
- Ancient Ziggurat . Be careful, as this mana can only be used for casting creature spells. I don't like this land in most decks.
- Bond Beetle . I have no idea why this is in here. It works once and has very little synergy with the deck. Verdurous Gearhulk would be better, but still not great.
- Green Sun's Zenith . I think a cheaper card that tutored to hand and then let you cast the card would be better, as you'd get the cost reduction effect and other synergies. No cards come to mind, but there are lots that look at the top X cards and tutor to hand ( Gift of the Gargantuan , etc.).
2 years ago
I'm not @xtopazinferno, but I would totally suggest Multiform Wonder in this shell, since you've only got a few uses for energy here.
How open are you to splashing R or G? As a mono-U player myself, I'll understand if you're attached to the consistency of mono-U, but either color offers tons of benefit. Harnessed Lightning is excellent for the Dynavolt build, while Rogue Refiner and Bristling Hydra and green pump spells are excellent for the midrange/control build you've got going currently. Just a thought! Love the deck.
2 years ago
Try dropping one each of some of the 4 ofs for slots. I feel like your deck lacks a way to close out the game. Try 2 Lightning Runner and 3 Multiform Wonder in place of one each Decoction Module Aethertorch Renegade Aether Chaser Aether Poisoner Die Young
2 years ago
I originally had 2 Lightning Runners.. I thought about Live Fast, but I didnt like the negative life.. And Multiform Wonder is a little above my curve.. But ill try the three to see if theres an actual fit.
2 years ago
2 years ago
Heads up for standard play. Aetherworks Marvel is banned in the format.
You can view the official ban list from Wizards at their website linked here.
I think your deck idea is interesting since you are playing on a budget. You may want to pick a little more focus on whether or not you want to be an energy deck or and artifact deck because Metalwork Colossus doesn't really fit in this deck idea. Most of your artifacts are creatures, meaning you are not likely to reduce its mana cost and his is a bit expensive to play without some reduction to the cost.
Multiform Wonder also doesn't really feel worth playing. It is an expensive mana cost for a very mediocre creature.
I would definitely suggest a play set of Longtusk Cub as this creature can win games early or late game unless opponent has an answer for him.
You have a nice shell going on here. Just some clunky cards that need fixing. Best of luck with the deck.
2 years ago