|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander Anthology 2018 (CM2)||Uncommon|
|Commander 2017 (C17)||Uncommon|
|Commander 2015 (C15)||Uncommon|
|Commander 2013 (C13)||Uncommon|
|Modern Masters (MMA)||Uncommon|
|MTG: Commander (CMD)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Vivid Crag enters the battlefield tapped with two charge counters on it.
: Gain .
, Remove a charge counter from Vivid Crag: Gain one mana of any colour.
Vivid Crag Discussion
4 days ago
There's a couple others you should consider.
Shadowblood Ridge = OG Filter
Arcane Sanctum = Tri-Land
Crumbling Necropolis = Tri-Land
Frontier Bivouac = Tri-Land
Jungle Shrine = Tri-Land
Mystic Monastery = Tri-Land
Nomad Outpost = Tri-Land
Opulent Palace = Tri-Land
Sandsteppe Citadel = Tri-Land
Savage Lands = Tri-Land
Seaside Citadel = Tri-Land
Ash Barrens = Cycles for any color of mana which you can play untapped.
Mirrodin's Core = Comes in untapped. Can give you any color of mana the very next turn.
Vivid Crag = Vivid Cycle
Vivid Creek = Vivid Cycle
Vivid Grove = Vivid Cycle
Vivid Marsh = Vivid Cycle
Vivid Meadow = Vivid Cycle
2 weeks ago
May I suggest you Crumbling Necropolis , Frontier Bivouac , Opulent Palace , Savage Lands , Jungle Shrine , Murmuring Bosk , Sandsteppe Citadel , Seaside Citadel , Vivid Grove , Vivid Crag , Vivid Creek , Rupture Spire , Transguild Promenade , Gateway Plaza , Exotic Orchard , Evolving Wilds and Terramorphic Expanse
Bloodfell Caves , Cinder Barrens , Dismal Backwater , Forsaken Sanctuary , Foul Orchard , Graypelt Refuge , Highland Lake , Jungle Hollow , Rugged Highlands , Scoured Barrens , Stone Quarry , Submerged Boneyard , Swiftwater Cliffs , Timber Gorge , Tranquil Cove , Wind-Scarred Crag and Woodland Stream .
I think it will increase the consistency of finding your colors. You can even lower your land count to 39 this way.
3 weeks ago
1 month ago
You might consider replacing Vivid Meadow , Vivid Creek , Vivid Marsh , Vivid Crag and Vivid Grove for the still-cheap Prairie Stream , Sunken Hollow , Smoldering Marsh , Cinder Glade , Canopy Vista . This way, a Farseek can get you two colors! If you include Murmuring Bosk and Krosan Verge , the latter can be activated on turn 3 to fetch Murmuring Bosk and Cinder Glade , guaranteeing you 4 colors for a turn-4 Scion of the Ur-Dragon .
1 month ago
Try Fellwar Stone , Commander's Sphere , Darksteel Ingot , Hedron Archive and Boros Locket instead of Manalith , Sisay's Ring , Ur-Golem's Eye and Astral Cornucopia . // Sunforger is an all-star in Boros, being an amazing toolbox (if you put some 4- CMC instants). // Vivid Crag and Warped Landscape can become Battlefield Forge and Myriad Landscape .
1 month ago
Some cheap lands I suggest instead of Vivid Crag , Vivid Grove , Darigaaz's Caldera and some basic lands: Blighted Woodland and Myriad Landscape ramp you. Bojuka Bog hoses graveyard players. Golgari Rot Farm , Gruul Turf , Rakdos Carnarium and Jund Panorama give you more land-drops. Sheltered Thicket and Canyon Slough can be easily fetched or brought back from the graveyard after cycled. Cinder Glade and Smoldering Marsh are also fetchable. When Standard rotates, Dragonskull Summit , Rootbound Crag , Woodland Cemetery , Blood Crypt , Stomping Ground and Overgrown Tomb will be way cheaper.
1 month ago
Might have went overboard with the signets... but a little short on cheap CC dragons, so:
Trying a dragon-based removal solution (which also ends up lower cc after the discount):
Real talk... Sarkhan isn't great. Moltensteel wins games sometimes:
Triple red (and red activation is tough); I like stealing artifacts though:
A few tapped lands aren't gonna kill anyone (plus I realized later I didn't have a couple of these):
2 months ago
I've categorized the cards in your deck here: https://deckstats.net/decks/50753/1215572-animar
The following analysis is based on that categorization. Several cards are in more than one category, so I've categorized them based on their primary or common case. E.g. Ancient Animus is both "Removal" and "+1/+1 Counter Interaction", but you're going to cast it to kill something -- the +1/+1 counter is a nice bonus.
There's no explicit or stated goals of the deck, so I can't evaluate the cards against that. If you have a goal, let me know.
The core effect of Animar is to play creatures, which grows Animar. As Animar grows, he helps you play more (and more expensive) creatures. Some notable limitations:
- Animar only decreases colorless costs
- Animar only cares about creatures
- Animar only cares about casting creatures
Animar is cheap to cast and protects himself from most removal (due to his protection from Black and White). Because of this, we can assume that we will get him out early and keep him out long enough for him to provide benefit. We'll build the deck assuming Animar is on the battlefield at all times.
Since Animar reduces the colorless component of creature costs, we'll get the biggest benefit from colorless creatures. As with any unlimited cost reduction effect, we should look for ways to break the free case. The obvious one here is to bounce and recast colorless creatures for free.
Since we're playing all of these (hopefully free) creatures, Animar will grow quickly. Giving Animar good evasion will give us to win on commander damage quickly.
To best abuse Animar, we want:
- Many creatures across a range of mid to high colorless costs
- As many of those creatures in our hand as possible
- An many +1/+1 counters on Animar as soon as possible
- A means to make Animar unblockable
The easiest way to break Animar is to create an engine that casts colorless creatures and bounces them to your hand as many times as possible during a turn. We'll want ETB/LTB effects on those creatures and cards that care about creatures entering and leaving the battlefield. Additionally, we'll want cards that care about +1/+1 counters on a creature.
Favor creatures over non-creatures, as you get a discount on creatures. Try to keep colored costs to a minimum - avoid double or more colors in a cost.
Abusable Colorless Creatures:
- Myr Battlesphere creates four Myr tokens
- Precursor Golem creates two 3/3 tokens
- Artisan of Kozilek reanimates a creature
- Duplicant exiles a creature
- Anodet Lurker and Peace Strider gain three life
- Electrostatic Pummeler and Multiform Wonder give three engergy
- Reservoir Walker gains three life and gives three enery
- Grim Poppet gives three -1/-1 counters to put on something
- Meteor Golem destroys something
- Mirror Golem exiles a card from a graveyard
- Pierce Strider drains three life from an opponent
- Skyscanner draws a card
- Mindless Automaton draws a card via a +1/+1 counter interaction
- Solemn Simulacrum tutors a basic land into play
- Thought-Knot Seer can effectively mill and oppenent with ETB and LTB triggers
- Triskelion deals damage via a +1/+1 counter interaction
- Workhorse grants colorless mana via a +1/+1 counter interaction
- Oblivion Sower steals lands from your opponents deck
- Panharmonicon !!!
- Cream of the Crop
- Decoction Module
- Impact Tremors
- Leyline of Vitality
- Hardened Scales
- Simic Ascendancy
- Path of Discovery
- Warstorm Surge
- Wild Pair
- Herald of Secret Streams
- Thassa, God of the Sea
- Whispersilk Cloak
- Protective Bubble
- Aqueous Form
- Keeper of Keys
- Key to the City
- Passwall Adept
- Rogue's Passage
- Aether Tunnel
- Cloak of Mists
- Suspicious Bookcase
- Marchesa's Smuggler
- Tricks of the Trade
We'll want to get as many creatures down as quickly as we can. Card draw and other card advantage effects are valuable.
- Vizier of the Menagerie
- Sunbird's Invocation
- Stolen Strategy
- Rashmi, Eternities Crafter
- Garruk's Horde
- Descendants' Path
- Elvish Visionary
- Fierce Empath
- Wall of Blossoms
Changes to the Existing Cards
I would consider cutting way down on the amount of ramp. Mana dorks get the deck running early, but they don't have any synergy with the core effects. I suspect that's what was leaving you feeling like you had a dead hand.
Cards that seem particularly problematic:
- Wild Cantor . Requires a sac for effect. Doesn't get cost reduction. A dork that taps for mana would be better.
- Tinder Wall . Same as Wild Cantor sans the cost reduction bit.
- Vivid Creek and Vivid Crag . These both ETB tapped, don't have basic land types, and only provide off-color mana twice. If would strongly consider running Amonkhet cycling duals over these.
- Ancient Ziggurat . Be careful, as this mana can only be used for casting creature spells. I don't like this land in most decks.
- Bond Beetle . I have no idea why this is in here. It works once and has very little synergy with the deck. Verdurous Gearhulk would be better, but still not great.
- Green Sun's Zenith . I think a cheaper card that tutored to hand and then let you cast the card would be better, as you'd get the cost reduction effect and other synergies. No cards come to mind, but there are lots that look at the top X cards and tutor to hand ( Gift of the Gargantuan , etc.).
Vivid Crag occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.03%