Enchantment — Aura
Enchanted creature is unblockable and has shroud. (It can't be the target of spells or abilities.)
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Protective Bubble Discussion
2 months ago
If you're trying to cut cards from the maybeboard, I'd say cut Identity Thief Voidstone Gargoyle Aether Tunnel Aqueous Form and Protective Bubble. The idea with this deck seems like it should be to swarm with tokens. So, you shouldn't need any individual protections or buffs for your creatures.
2 months ago
One of the best blue ramp cards is Thada Adel, Acquisitor. I have no idea how many games I have ended up with every Sol Ring in the game.
Cards similar to what you already have listed that I really like are Protective Bubble, Alexi's Cloak, Neurok Stealthsuit for Shroud. Vedalken Plotter to open up islandwalk (since it isn't an enchantment the effect is harder to remove).
7 months ago
1 year ago
I've categorized the cards in your deck here: https://deckstats.net/decks/50753/1215572-animar
The following analysis is based on that categorization. Several cards are in more than one category, so I've categorized them based on their primary or common case. E.g. Ancient Animus is both "Removal" and "+1/+1 Counter Interaction", but you're going to cast it to kill something -- the +1/+1 counter is a nice bonus.
There's no explicit or stated goals of the deck, so I can't evaluate the cards against that. If you have a goal, let me know.
The core effect of Animar is to play creatures, which grows Animar. As Animar grows, he helps you play more (and more expensive) creatures. Some notable limitations:
- Animar only decreases colorless costs
- Animar only cares about creatures
- Animar only cares about casting creatures
Animar is cheap to cast and protects himself from most removal (due to his protection from Black and White). Because of this, we can assume that we will get him out early and keep him out long enough for him to provide benefit. We'll build the deck assuming Animar is on the battlefield at all times.
Since Animar reduces the colorless component of creature costs, we'll get the biggest benefit from colorless creatures. As with any unlimited cost reduction effect, we should look for ways to break the free case. The obvious one here is to bounce and recast colorless creatures for free.
Since we're playing all of these (hopefully free) creatures, Animar will grow quickly. Giving Animar good evasion will give us to win on commander damage quickly.
To best abuse Animar, we want:
- Many creatures across a range of mid to high colorless costs
- As many of those creatures in our hand as possible
- An many +1/+1 counters on Animar as soon as possible
- A means to make Animar unblockable
The easiest way to break Animar is to create an engine that casts colorless creatures and bounces them to your hand as many times as possible during a turn. We'll want ETB/LTB effects on those creatures and cards that care about creatures entering and leaving the battlefield. Additionally, we'll want cards that care about +1/+1 counters on a creature.
Favor creatures over non-creatures, as you get a discount on creatures. Try to keep colored costs to a minimum - avoid double or more colors in a cost.
Abusable Colorless Creatures:
- Myr Battlesphere creates four Myr tokens
- Precursor Golem creates two 3/3 tokens
- Artisan of Kozilek reanimates a creature
- Duplicant exiles a creature
- Anodet Lurker and Peace Strider gain three life
- Electrostatic Pummeler and Multiform Wonder give three engergy
- Reservoir Walker gains three life and gives three enery
- Grim Poppet gives three -1/-1 counters to put on something
- Meteor Golem destroys something
- Mirror Golem exiles a card from a graveyard
- Pierce Strider drains three life from an opponent
- Skyscanner draws a card
- Mindless Automaton draws a card via a +1/+1 counter interaction
- Solemn Simulacrum tutors a basic land into play
- Thought-Knot Seer can effectively mill and oppenent with ETB and LTB triggers
- Triskelion deals damage via a +1/+1 counter interaction
- Workhorse grants colorless mana via a +1/+1 counter interaction
- Oblivion Sower steals lands from your opponents deck
- Panharmonicon !!!
- Cream of the Crop
- Decoction Module
- Impact Tremors
- Leyline of Vitality
- Hardened Scales
- Simic Ascendancy
- Path of Discovery
- Warstorm Surge
- Wild Pair
- Herald of Secret Streams
- Thassa, God of the Sea
- Whispersilk Cloak
- Protective Bubble
- Aqueous Form
- Keeper of Keys
- Key to the City
- Passwall Adept
- Rogue's Passage
- Aether Tunnel
- Cloak of Mists
- Suspicious Bookcase
- Marchesa's Smuggler
- Tricks of the Trade
We'll want to get as many creatures down as quickly as we can. Card draw and other card advantage effects are valuable.
- Vizier of the Menagerie
- Sunbird's Invocation
- Stolen Strategy
- Rashmi, Eternities Crafter
- Garruk's Horde
- Descendants' Path
- Elvish Visionary
- Fierce Empath
- Wall of Blossoms
Changes to the Existing Cards
I would consider cutting way down on the amount of ramp. Mana dorks get the deck running early, but they don't have any synergy with the core effects. I suspect that's what was leaving you feeling like you had a dead hand.
Cards that seem particularly problematic:
- Wild Cantor . Requires a sac for effect. Doesn't get cost reduction. A dork that taps for mana would be better.
- Tinder Wall . Same as Wild Cantor sans the cost reduction bit.
- Vivid Creek and Vivid Crag . These both ETB tapped, don't have basic land types, and only provide off-color mana twice. If would strongly consider running Amonkhet cycling duals over these.
- Ancient Ziggurat . Be careful, as this mana can only be used for casting creature spells. I don't like this land in most decks.
- Bond Beetle . I have no idea why this is in here. It works once and has very little synergy with the deck. Verdurous Gearhulk would be better, but still not great.
- Green Sun's Zenith . I think a cheaper card that tutored to hand and then let you cast the card would be better, as you'd get the cost reduction effect and other synergies. No cards come to mind, but there are lots that look at the top X cards and tutor to hand ( Gift of the Gargantuan , etc.).
1 year ago
Re looking at this deck it seems really sweet. I feel like haste is really important for Bruna because getting the first swing in to protect her with shroud/hexproof or reanimation is really important. Lightning greaves does this the best with a 0 mana equip cost and Bruna's effect gets around shroud. (so cards like Diplomatic Immunity, Greater Auramancy (a other huge hit to the wallet...), and Protective Bubble have good value)
I'd warrant running tutors just to find lightning greaves so it is a consistant game plan. Steelshaper's Gift, Open the Armory, and Relic Seeker are good budget options and Enlightened Tutor and Stoneforge Mystic the non budget.
1 year ago
Recommended Out: Cartouche of Knowledge
Sovereigns of Lost Alara - About $4
Eldrazi Conscription - About $15
Frantic Search - About $1
Auramancer's Guise - About $0.50
Gift of Immortality - About $1
Curator's Ward - About $0.01
Mesa Enchantress - About $0.20
Mirror-Mad Phantasm - About $0.80
Read the Runes - About $0.20
Traumatize - About $2
Fool's Demise - About $0.20
Protective Bubble - About $0.10
Ordeal of Thassa - About $0.05
Vow of Flight - About $0.05
1 year ago
2 years ago
You're probably gonna need like 35-40 lands in an EDH deck anyway, so there's that.
You also can only have duplicates of basic lands, so you're gonna have to cut out a Lightning Greaves and a Diabolic Tutor.
Strategy-wise, maybe you can consider things that make Mirko Vosk unblockable such as Aqueous Form, Thassa, God of the Sea, Whispersilk Cloak, and Protective Bubble so that he hits his intended target more often for more mill.