|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Masterpiece Series: Kaladesh Inventions (MPS)||Mythic Rare|
|Modern Masters (MMA)||Rare|
|Promo Set (000)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Artifact Creature — Beast
Sacrifice an artifact: Put a +1/+1 counter on Arcbound Ravager.
Modular 1 (This enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it. When it's put into a graveyard, you may put its +1/+1 counters on target artifact creature.)
Arcbound Ravager Discussion
2 days ago
You could definitely turn this into a combo-ish deck with some Myr Retriever s and Krark-Clan Ironworks . Arcbound Ravager could be a good wincon, especially if you put Inkmoth Nexus in the deck, and it would let you sacrifice the artifacts that draw when they die. I think just Atog would be better than megatog just because it comes down earlier. Grinding Station could be interesting; you could mill yourself, then use mishra and your artifacts in your hand to bring back all the artifacts from the graveyard, then mill the opponent. Sai, Master Thopterist could be good in long games for card draw and as a sac outlet. I don't think kasmina is super good ( Padeem, Consul of Innovation would be better here) and I think you should play more Etherium Sculptor s.
3 days ago
Fatal Push, Underground River, and Mental Misstep are under $5 dollars, so I'm not going to give replacements on those, but for Ancient Tomb , City of Traitors , Glimmervoid , Inkmoth Nexus , Mox Opal , and Mox Diamond , I'd replace those with 3 Islands and a Swamp and add a River of Tears and Spire of Industry .
For Force of Will , I'd use Steel Sabotage , it acts as an occasional counter and protection for your artifacts if you bounce them in response to removal, or to reuse them in case of Renaming a new card with Revoker or getting another cast trigger on Sai, etc.
3 days ago
Sorry, allow me to clarify; I have most of the deck, minus some of the more expensive pieces, specifically:
Those are the ones I know off of memory that aren't in my collection, or are above 5$ that I don't have. Steel Overseer getting reprinted makes it easier to get a hold of it.
2 weeks ago
Sorry, but I disagree with Plague Engineer not being maindeckable. I think people are thinking of it the way Engineered Plague is used in Legacy, which makes a certain amount of sense since it has the same ability. But in modern there are a LOT of 1 toughness creatures running around that this snipes. I love it when my turn 2 play kills my opponent's Noble Hierarch and keeps them from playing ANY of their Champion of the Parish , Thalia's Lieutenant , Thalia herself... And okay, that's a matchup where it's obviously good. But let's say you use pridemages to snipe any Hardened Scales and name Beast vs Hardened Scales, that feels really good too, just keeping opponents from playing Arcbound Ravager . Same matchup there are times you'll name construct or servo. Against control you usually name Wizards. Sure, they still get the ETB, but the reason Snapcaster Mage and Vendilion Clique are good is that they come with bodies. The effect itself isn't really worth the same cost, it's tacking it on to a body with flash that makes these cards so powerful. It comes out in game 2 vs control, my point is just that it isn't really dead most of the time, that even when its "bad" it can still be pretty good. Elves, Spirits, and Humans it's a strict hoser, but most matchups its at least a kill spell, sometimes killing multiple targets.
Yeah, the 7/7 on Gruul Spellbreaker is assuming exalted triggers. I've had it get bigger than that too, with Anafenza counters, but that's kind of the sweet spot, when it's a Carnage Tyrant with haste. On its own Gruul Spellbreaker is just another 4/4 the deck can drop on turn 2, but ideally, we're making several buddies for him. Could be that running Qasali Pridemage instead of switching the Spellbreakers for Knight of Autumn and running another 2 drop (scooze) is wrong. It makes me less flexible. But I think being able to destroy artifacts at instant speed is way better than sorcery speed vs Hardened Scales and Affinity, both of which can build a big creature at instant speed, and likewise, Gruul Spellbreaker's trample is often very relevant. Considering switching a 1 of Spellbreaker for a Knight of Autumn to make room for a Scavenging Ooze , but on the other hand Spellbreaker is doing his job. Hexproof saves him from instant speed lightning bolts, and occasionally allow him to charge in for the final blow, but that's not why you run him.
It could be that I should just be playing humans, but this deck does a lot of things humans doesn't, and attacks the format in a slightly different way, while still being a deck that creates a bunch of early 4/4s and attacks. I get what you're saying re my creatures dying to lightning bolts, but guess what humans creatures die to removal too. I'm willing to accept a slightly worse matchup against Burn decks and Tempo decks given that I see a lot more Path to Exile and Fatal Push than Lightning Bolt these days.
2 weeks ago
jaymc1130 yes! I considered going wide instead of tall. My initial build had Arcbound Ravager + Arcbound Crusher + Retrofitter Foundry + Hangarback Walker and other such cards. I felt like it took the deck into a full spam direction, and other cards for even better synergy. Me thinks Jhoira, Weatherlight Captain might be better suited for that type of build. I do think Mirrodin Besieged offers awesome value to Urza though. I'll see what can go out for it. Thanks!
1 month ago
No worries, tribal decks can be confusing at times! I've played Merfolk, Humans, Spirits, Slivers, and more, so I get it. To answer your questions:
1) Creatures like Diffusion Sliver , Leeching Sliver , and Lavabelly Sliver stack depending on how many you have. To be more technical, each additional copy would trigger its own instance. For example, if you had two Diffusion Sliver s, your opponent would decided whether or not to pay the 2 mana for the first one, but they would still have to pay 2 more mana for the second one if they wanted their spell or ability to resolve. Likewise, if you had two Leeching Sliver s or Lavabelly Sliver s, each copy would trigger separately, so the first copy would do one damage, and then the second copy would do its one damage.
2) Crystalline Sliver only affects Slivers on the battlefield. Unless its text specifically mentions cards in the graveyard, like Silent Gravestone or Grafdigger's Cage , it won't give Slivers in the graveyard shroud. Dregscape Sliver will still work.
3) I usually board in Harmonic Sliver in matchups where I expect the opponent to almost always have artifacts or enchantments present, like Affinity, Hardened Scales, or Red Prison. I rarely side Aether Vial out if I'm on the play, but if I'm on the draw, it usually gets replaced, as Vial is significantly worse on the draw. However, in matchups like the above, I prefer having Harmonic Sliver even if it means occasionally having to nuke my own Vial, as taking care of Arcbound Ravager , Hardened Scales , or things like Ensnaring Bridge or Chalice of the Void is well worth it.
Hope that helps!
1 month ago
SMASHER101 yeah, Force of Vigor seems like a 0 mana 2 for 2 against this deck, even Lava Dart is huge, imagine having a summoning sick Steel Overseer and an Arcbound Ravager , opponent lava darts the Overseer, you sacrifice it in reponse, which makes it fizzle and go to the yard where they can flash it back to kill the ravager.
1 month ago
Well, looking at it, almost every card has an enormously weaker budget option:
- 4x Walking Ballista / Triskelion
- 4x Arcbound Worker / Sparring Construct
- 4x Arcbound Ravager / Arcbound Slith
- 2x Dark Confidant / Pain Seer
- 4x Hangarback Walker / Hooded Hydra
- 4x Steel Overseer / Chronomaton
- 3x Welding Jar / Herbal Poultice
- 1x Animation Module
- 4x Darksteel Citadel
- 4x Forest
- 4x Inkmoth Nexus / Dread Statuary
- 2x Overgrown Tomb / Foul Orchard
- 1x Pendelhaven / Hashep Oasis
- 1x Phyrexia's Core / Claws of Gix
- 3x Wooded Foothills / Evolving Wilds
The deck would suck enormously, but it would be a deck. Are there any better budget options I missed?
Arcbound Ravager occurrence in decks from the last year
All decks: 0.09%
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.0%