|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Modern Masters 2015 Edition (MM2)||Uncommon|
|Scars of Mirrodin (SOM)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
, Sacrifice a creature: Put a charge counter on Culling Dais.
, Sacrifice Culling Dais: Draw a card for each charge counter on Culling Dais.
Culling Dais Discussion
15 hours ago
4 weeks ago
The cost of activating Culling Dais ' first ability is to tap the Dais, and to sacrifice a single creature. You can't overpay a cost by sacrificing more than one creature, just like you can't purposely pay more than three mana for Radiant Flames just to get a better Converge result.
You will need a way to untap the Dais in order to sacrifice more than one creature per turn.
3 months ago
So first of all, I’d like to suggest a handful of death effects.
Ogre Slumlord spits out nasty deathtouchers that can deter many non-lethal attacking forces, only first strikers would want to swing into them.
Blood Artist is a favorite of mine, hits all creatures that go to yards and is a constant life swing, it’s a card that is situationally better than Zulaport Cutthroat.
Razaketh, the Foulblooded offers a tutor for a sac and two life. In this deck that doubles to two tutors. A bit high cmc but being able to tutor in response to other players can win you the game in as little as one rotation.
Fallen Ideal is an amazing win con to have in your back pocket. Throwing the enchantment on Teysa and sacrificing a mere 5 creatures is enough to swing in the air for lethal. As an added bonus, the enchanted creature can sac itself to dodge removal and return fallen ideal to your hand.
Culling Dais is a card that I used in my Teysa deck, here it has twice the draw power. With a tap to sac you can use it in response to removal in order to gain card advantage.
That’s all for now, you’ll hear from me again soon!
3 months ago
Nice write-up! Probably took some good time to type it all down.
I did have to sort your deck on type instead of your custom types to make some sence of it though ;)
I’ve been working on a meren deck with a similar sacrifice idea for a couple of years now, though the plan is a bit different they here I do have some suggestions and tips based on my experience with the archetype.
There are probably some cards here that have been mentioned before or have been tested, so sorry for that.
sac outlets are the bread and butter of these types of deck. You always need one in play or the deck falls short (this is also one of the weak point that you can attack these decks on). Some sac outlets that I haven’t seen mentioned yet:
1) Evolutionary Leap . Except that it’s not a free sac outlet I think one of the best out there!
2) Spawning Pit . One of my favorites, create more tokens from sacing creatures and it’s free to activate. Also it can quite easily go infinite with Doubling Season
3) Attrition . It’s probably mentioned somewhere her and I probably looked over it because everyone knows this.
4) Altar of Dementia . Better in meren then it’s here but still has its uses if you want to go with an infinite combo.
5) Culling Dais . Value
6) Dark Privilege . Protection of commander and outlet in one.
7) Fallen Ideal . Recurring outlet is always nice.
8) Yahenni, Undying Partisan . Indestructible outlet.
9) Helm of Possession . If people are going big.
10) Plagued Rusalka . If people are going wide.
11) Claws of Gix . Can sac any permanent and is the cheapest outlet ever made.
Some utility creatures:
12) Wirewood Herald . This is one of my favorite fun cards in my deck. Your already playing a few good other elves (rec sage, izoni, wood elves, elvish visionary) so I definitely suggest adding this one!
13) Viridian Emissary and Primal Druid are all stars in my deck. Might be useful here over some of the 3 mana ramp creatures?? (Emissary is a bit better because of clamp, and it’s an elf).
14) Golgari Findbroker . Witness #2, also it’s an elf.
15) Sengir Autocrat and Mitotic Slime . These cards give 4 and 7 sacrifices respectively. They are some of the payoff cards that I use. Especially fond of autocrat since it works with savra and skullclamp very well.
16) Reassembling Skeleton . Another one of my payoff cards, and can get nuts of I have a good board. Also there are few ways to go infinite with this one (there is a 4 card combo with this in your deck right now).
17) Savra, Queen of the Golgari . It’s an elf and since it’s a creature its easier to tutor then an enchantment. The life gain is also nice!
And one more random card that doesn’t belong in above categories:
18) Foster . At 4 mana a bit expensive but boy what value this card can give!
Some of the cars you tested and took out I’d like to comment on. I find them very very useful and would probably never cut them in my deck:
19) Fecundity . This card is the best card in my deck, the only time it’s not great is when I’m playing against weenies or people are trading creatures with each other without me having a board presents. I don’t really care if people draw a card if I kill there 6 mana creatures because it still slows them down. What’s so good about this card that It provides us with a great amount of value. This card draws of tokens which is awesome and most of the creatures your running give to sac triggers anyway. In 90% the cases this card will generate more value for us then for other players.
20) Deathreap Ritual . The only reason I’d ever cut this card is the mana cost, which at 4 is a bit expensive. You however stated the reason for excluding this card is the lack of value. I’d like to point out that Morbid doesn’t only trigger at the end of your turn but at the end of EVERY turn. It also triggers when any creature dies, so it doesn’t have to be yours and, like fecundity, it triggers of tokens dying to!! In a four player game this card can give an easy 4 cards a round.
21) Golgari Germination . I like this mostly because I play above mentioned cards which benefit hugely from tokens dying, but even without this it’s a great card rewarding you for any sacrifice and being an enchantment it’s a bit more durable as well.
22) Sakura-Tribe Elder . At two mana and a build in sac outlet this card is a cheap ramp spell that functions at all time and can provide value even if you don’t have a sac outlet in play. But if you have experienced trough testing that you get more value out of a 3 drop ramp creature then it might be different for your deck compared to meren.
Hereby I end my epistle with a last note that if your looking to take out some card I’d look at everything above 4 mana and everything with X in the mana cost. I find I always take out these in the end since I can’t cast them reliably. (5 drops stay when they are very good for the deck though).
4 months ago
Also, since Squee is so recurrable, for 3 mana, you can repeatadly sac him to Culling Dais .
4 months ago
My best suggestion is Sundial of the Infinite This turns anything temporary into something permanent. Exile at end of turn become "keep forever". Steal until end of turn becomes "Keep Forever". Anything that ruins your turn like cyclonic rift counter it with sundial.
- Draw: Mono red is difficult to come across draw you usually either have to wheel or rely on artifacts here are a few of my favorites.
- Endless Atlas
- Infiltration Lens
- Mask of Memory
- Culling Dais
Steal: Red does not have a lot of good removal but it's great at stealing stuff. My favorite strategy is steal and then kill whatever you stole by sacrificing it.
- Conquering Manticore
- Zealous Conscripts Goes infinite Kiki or Splinter twin also great with blade of selves removing the biggest threat.
- Mass Mutiny
- Captivating Crew
Insurrection end the game or steal it all then kill it all for an explosive second Main phase
Copy & Tokens: cards that can create copies of your stuff.
- Blade of Selves Create 3 tokens instead of just one and can repeat.
- Splinter Twin a second kiki
- Feldon of the Third Path
- Mirror March not yet released but keep your eyes on it.
- Mimic Vat
Life & Fight & Death: Great creatures for you to copy.
- Combat Celebrant Goes infinite with kiki and splinter twin
- Balefire Dragon
- Wurmcoil Engine
- Thermopod free sac outlet or mana
- Fellwar Stone Better then a few of the rocks you have.
- Caged Sun
- Pyromancer's Goggles
- Ruby Medallion
- Rogue's Passage
- Maze of Ith Protect your key attacker or protect yourself
- Gratuitous Violence Only doubles your damage
- Disrupt Decorum
- Grenzo, Havoc Raiser
- Basalt Monolith Goes infinite with rings of brighthearth
- Breath of Fury Goes infinite with Raka
- Ben-Ben, Akki Hermit Goes infinite with thornbite staff
- Nim Deathmantle Goes infinite with ashnod's altar and raka
Have fun going through and choosing stuff from the list and worst part of all cuts in your own deck.
5 months ago
This looks like an interesting shell, however it could probably be made more efficient. As an example, why play a 5 mana artifact Cauldron of Souls when a 2 mana instant can perform the same trick Cauldron Haze. Another suggestion I have is Trinket Mage, which can fetch Walking Ballista, essentially giving you another way to pull out one of your win-cons. If you use the Mage then Sigil of Distinction also becomes a useful alt-win-con.
You also seem to be missing two obvious artifacts in the form of Coretapper and Energy Chamber, with perhaps a 3rd for card draw in Culling Dais. There is also the land Llanowar Reborn, which I think would be a better fit in your deck than Burst of Strength, the graft mechanic itself might be a good fit in general. Other cards to consider include Zameck Guildmage, Fate Transfer and Bioshift.
I played during tempest, where the spikes were first introduced and while they are cool, they were never inherently powerful, bar the surprise Spike Cannibal, which isn't modern legal. I realise I've thrown up a lot of cards and I wouldn't expect you to try and include them all, but hopefully this helps you improve your brew.
6 months ago
Section 1 Get +1/+1 counters other than attacking
Arcbound stuff by CMC (some are in other categories): Arcbound Worker, Arcbound Slith, Arcbound Stinger, Arcbound Crusher, Arcbound Hybrid, Arcbound Bruiser, Arcbound Fiend, Arcbound Lancer, Arcbound Overseer
Creature type based: Metallic Mimic
Just because it is an artifact: Steel Overseer
Creatures that already have counters:
Sacrifice outlets to consider:
- Culling Dais
- Demonmail Hauberk
- Blasting Station
- Metalwork Colossus
- Phyrexian Vault
- Spawning Pit
- Shivan Harvest
- Arcbound Ravager
Other: Control: Wizard Replica
Gain Life: Peace Strider
Cheating: Summoner's Egg
Other cards I like
Vela the Night-Clad She makes all your colorless permanents only blockable by an artifact
Storm the Vault Mana ramp
Liquimetal Coating some of those creature that are not a artifact... now it is
Phyrexian Scriptures Kill all non-artifact creatures / also places a +1/+1 counter
Culling Dais occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%