|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Modern Masters (MMA)||Common|
|Duel Decks: Elspeth vs. Tezzeret (DDF)||Common|
Combos Browse all
Artifact Creature — Construct
Modular 1 (This enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it. When it's put into a graveyard, you may put its +1/+1 counters on target artifact creature.)
Arcbound Worker Discussion
3 weeks ago
you make a good point about blood artist, being able to hit yourself is a nice bonus. i went with basilisk collar so that I could equip it to whatever i needed on the fly, possibly using it to dissuade attacks or to gain life in whatever amount i needed. it's also just a little harder to remove than creatures are which is good.
if you're looking for something just to gain you some life i really do recommend Gray Merchant of Asphodel as he'll more likely than not come in and net you at least 15 life without much effort.
blood artist, basilisk collar, gary, kokusho, etc... they all fill the same role, just at different mana costs. personally i would go for the lower end more often than not.
for me Wurmcoil Engine works well. if i have an Arcbound Worker around it gets silly, and even if you can't attack, as long as you're not in Lightning Bolt range or up against a flying creature you can still gain plenty of life on defense and it's off to the races once you can attack with it.
Drana, Liberator of Malakir is a nice safety net. if you're on the throne but not very far ahead in board state it gives you a way to keep the engine's turning. she's cheap and aggressive and does what we need. you could make due without her, but for me it's been a good time.
if you're having trouble keeping open you may need to work on your mana base or try adding a few more rocks. the good thing about this deck is that it usually doesn't have too much trouble only playing a card or two per turn while still maintaining advantage. our creatures rarely stay dead, so in a battle of attrition we're usually far ahead. clearing the board once and not losing anything means we can afford to play cards a bit slower and keep mana open.
like i said, Voidmage Prodigy isn't just protection, but also a sac outlet, so keep that in mind.
i touch on Puppeteer Clique in my primer's writeup, so if you have any questions about it that I don't answer there let me know.
1 month ago
Well, looking at it, almost every card has an enormously weaker budget option:
- 4x Walking Ballista / Triskelion
- 4x Arcbound Worker / Sparring Construct
- 4x Arcbound Ravager / Arcbound Slith
- 2x Dark Confidant / Pain Seer
- 4x Hangarback Walker / Hooded Hydra
- 4x Steel Overseer / Chronomaton
- 3x Welding Jar / Herbal Poultice
- 1x Animation Module
- 4x Darksteel Citadel
- 4x Forest
- 4x Inkmoth Nexus / Dread Statuary
- 2x Overgrown Tomb / Foul Orchard
- 1x Pendelhaven / Hashep Oasis
- 1x Phyrexia's Core / Claws of Gix
- 3x Wooded Foothills / Evolving Wilds
The deck would suck enormously, but it would be a deck. Are there any better budget options I missed?
2 months ago
Depending on which browser I use, I can't comment on the deck page so I'll post here though I dunno if you'll see it here:
Played a few more rounds:
Game 1: I'm on the draw. Dude drops a turn 1 Arcbound Ravager , sacs everything, and proceeds to swing away with an 8/8 starting on turn 2. I take a profound beating but respond with Emmara, Soul of the Accord and attack, making chumps to feed his monster. He doesn't draw anything else after that and I bust him ftw. 1-0
Game 2: He's a little slower and only makes Frogmite and Arcbound Worker on turn 1. Ravager comes out turn 2. I get Hero of Precinct One and make dudes with Tajic, Legion's Edge and spank for 6 right away. He responds with all out attack. I block the Frogmite and he sacs out, pumping the Ravager up to 6, brings me down to 5, and finishes with Shrapnel Blast . 1-1
Game 3: On the play again. I have to mulligan, keeping two land and a mox, but make Hero while he makes Ravager and a pair of Ornithopter . He swings, I try Response / Resurgence on the Ravager so he sacs everything and makes the Ornithopter 5/7, just outside Collision range (in my effing hand, no less!). Whatever. I make a Swiftblade Vindicator while he attacks me down to 1, I throw Colossus on the vindicator and swing all out, pummeling him for 14... he's at freaking 15. One more freaking damage OMFG!!! Ornithopter finishes me off while I stare at the same two land and useless mox. 1-2
Game 1: On the play, I get no red mana but two mox and Emmara, and which allows me to drop her and Hero on turn 2. Next turn Aurelia, Exemplar of Justice and swing for 6. All I see on his end is Anticipate and Eldrazi Skyspawner . 1-0
Game 2: I lose one Emmara to Harnessed Lightning , a second to Thopter Arrest . Stuck on two mana and a useless Mox, I make Hero and lose that to another lightning. Everything in my hand costs 3. He makes Jace, Unraveler of Secrets . I find another land and make Legion Warboss , he responds with Eldrazi Skyspawner . This allows Tajic, who gets traded but I take Jace down to 1. Chandra, Torch of Defiance torches the Warboss, leaving me with a 2/2 and a 1/1 goblin so he makes Heart of Kiran which takes 6 from Collision / Colossus allowing me to polish off his planeswalkers. Tajic happens again only to fall under Thopter Arrest. Then Aurelia happens, pumping the goblin and this is the first time I actually damage this punk. Next turn, eleven, one Chance for Glory dies to Negate but the second gets through ftw. 2-0
Game 3: Vindicator dies to lightning, Emmara dies to Thopter Arrest, I drop a second Emmara and he plays Felidar Guardian to blink the arrest, kills one Emmara to the legend rule and arrests the survivor. I have Tajic but he's not going to bust through the 1/4, he topdecks Saheeli Rai . GG. 2-1
Game 1: I'm on the draw. Thunderherd Migration reveals Ghalta, Primal Hunger and pumped Vindicator takes down Steel Leaf Champion early. He then ramps while Tajic pumps Vindicator for 7 to the face when he drops 6/6 Multani, Yavimaya's Avatar . Tajic pumps the Vindicator again at a loss to himself while Warboss adds another, bringing him to 6. He then plays another Champion, then taps 2 for Ghalta. Colossus and the double-striker trade for the 12/12 and it costs me the Warboss and Emmara so I get him to 3 but I got nothing left but tokens. He finds a Gigantosaurus and sends 8/8 trampling Multani over. I've got 4 attackers, he's got 3 blockers and I topdeck the Planeswalker. I have another Vindicator so I offer him to the 10/10. We trade, then he throws down another Ghalta and my next card is a land. 0-1
Game 2: I keep two Clifftop Retreat and a hero and wait to draw a green while he ramps into Steel Leaf Champion , Gigantosaurus , then Aggressive Mammoth . I can make some dudes but not that much, he makes another 10/10 and Ghalta. 0-2
Game 3: Hero, Emmara, and Vindicator jump out the gate while he ramps into Gigantosaurus. I trade Vindicator plus Colossus for the big guy and cast Chance for Glory but it wouldn't have mattered since I had so many dudes out by that point. 1-2
vs. Stars n Stripes
Game 1: Early Tajic and Vindicator get in for sixteen before dying to Wrath of God . Hero dies to Incinerate , Aurelia, Exemplar of Justice eats a Force of Will , and Vindicator knocks him down to 1 before eating another Wrath. Out of creatures, Huatli sits there and adds counters until he finds Rainbow Efreet to eat away at her. I finally start to draw creatures again but by this time he's got two Thawing Glaciers being fed by Brainstorm and everything I cast gets burnt, countered, or nuked. Efreet ftw. 0-1
Game 2: Both decks get a slow pull, much to his advantage, not mine. Hero gets Incinerate, Aurelia eats a Force of Will while he digs for Glaciers. A second Aurelia + Huatli bounces off a Rainbow Efreet turn after turn when he finds his land. I drop Tajic and smash, pumping the angel and knock him down to 3. He kills Huatli with the Efreet, phases out, and taps out for Wrath. With nothing left I draw into a land clump while he goes crazy with two Glaciers, every creature I find gets swallowed by Hammer of Bogardan while hasty Tajic gets lost to a Dissipate . 0-2
Game 3: I gain some life early from Swords to Plowshares and then spank his mana-screwed ass with Tajic. Colossus saves him from the Incinerate and repeats the beats. Huatli grows while Tajic dies to a second Incinerate. Rainbow Efreet comes out and starts to eat Huatli, Legion Warboss makes a goblin before getting the Hammer. I'm forced to use Response to take out the Efreet though I probably should have done so sooner. He throws the Hammer at Huatli bringing her down to 5 and plays a second Efreet and Kjeldoran Outpost . Then a gross misplay leaves the wrong mana untapped, Tajic kags, gets fed by Colossus and Huatli sacs to add 1 for exactly his life total... his three land are two Island and the Outpost. Oops. 1-2 but he shoulda won that last one.
Game 1: I draw no red. He opens with Birds of Paradise and Wood Elves , equips Umezawa's Jitte so I kill the elf with Response / Resurgence and come at him with Hero of Precinct One and Tajic, Legion's Edge and spank for 7. He thinks he can stop me with Arashi, the Sky Asunder so I swarm him with tokens, save my dude with indestructible Chance for Glory , 5 damage get through and there's Colossus in hand. 1-0
Game 2: We both mulligan to six. He drops a turn-3 Kodama of the North Tree . Then Aurelia comes and pumps the Vindicator who eats a Saproling token. Kodama smashes again knocking me down to 3 while Llanowar Elves puts counters on Umezawa's Jitte to take out the Vindicator. No matter; with Aurelia, Hero, and tokens I've got 8 damage plus Chance for Glory and a +4/+2 combat trick on standby. 2-0
Game 3: Shanna, Sisay's Legacy comes, then Mox enables Aurelia to hit turn 3 and swing for 4. He answers with Loxodon Hierarch . I swing, he Seed Spark s the Mox and makes two Saprolings, I pump Shanna to save her and get through with two in the air, he answers with four on the ground. He then throws another Seed Spark at his own Pithing Needle to stack Shanna. I, pump to kill the elephant and he drops Yosei, the Morning Star . I play another Shanna and pass the turn. Yosei starts to beating and I make a Warboss. We trade blows, I get down to 6 and he kags a Selesnya Guildmage . My turn, I kag a Tajic and swing with just enough to force him to trade the guildmage along with the Saproling, he just made, leaving Aurelia to block the dragon ftw. 3-0
There were some cards I was thinking about that I no longer consider and others I'm more convinced of.
Mox Amber just didn't do much. 90% of the time it was just dead weight and even when it did do its job the best it did was bring me from 3 to 4. It doesn't give me colors I'm missing and when the Legends get killed it sits there worthless. I initially thought Lightning Strike would go here but now I think a simple Shock would do even better. Even if you don't draw it, the threat of instant damage should change the opponent's play to our advantage.
Aurelia, Exemplar of Justice I'm on the fence about. Sometimes she added just the right amount of damage, sometimes she looked pretty. Overcosted, she's the only flyer in the deck and sometimes that made a huge difference. I was thinking Gruul Spellbreaker . The advantages to him are haste, which was often the difference when Tajic, Legion's Edge , that it's not white though I don't see a lot of protection from white in Standard right now. He doesn't feed the combo, though that could be a plus. I dunno. I like the angel, just not as much as I'd like.
I request that you add this list to your sideboard so that it may be tested. There are dependent factors, such as are you more likely to go up against control/combo in which case Cindervines should be an absolute killer, or are you more bothered by the graveyard recursion in which case Return to Nature would be better. 4:2, 2:4, or keep it at 3:3.
Banefire I anticipate should be a control destroyer. Without testing we can't be sure, but I suspect it can double as a Teferi-blaster or a face-puncher just the same. It might be too expensive, not sure, but imagine playing Chance for Glory , bash with creatures, and then Banefire lets us throw the mana at him as well.
Unbreakable Formation is a total spoiler. The indestructible is similar to the Chance but if we don't have lethal on the table we can't take the Chance. (you like that?) Hold back in anticipation of Kaya's Wrath or even use in conjunction with Chance to pump creatures.
I put Shalai in there to protect YOU, btw; lot of the cards that killed us targeted the player.
Anyway so there we have a sideboard. If you try it out let me know how it works.
2 months ago
Be mindful that the Arcbound Stinger and Arcbound Worker can only move their counters onto another Artifact Creature. >15% of the deck steals creatures, even though you have a ton of sac outlets. Is the plan to recur your own creatures for value, or steal others?
3 months ago
Modular!! (Like Arcbound Worker ) And please, some more that cost less than 5 mana!
3 months ago
> weird mashup of ramp into semi-big threats with suboptimal control elements.
That's actually a great definition of what Ponza is all about! I usually describe the deck more like "aggressive ramp into bulk rares that you would never expect could be good in Modern, with an overlay of annoying mana-denial Control", but yours will certainly do. The thing is, it works surprisingly well in many metas.
> besides fetchlands, what activated or triggered abilities are you hoping to stop with Repudiate / Replicate
I actually laid that out in the deck description, but in case you missed it here it is again:
- Opponent transforms a Thing in the Ice? Repudiate the triggered ability and our team stays on the field.
- Opponent wants to make us sac' a creature with Lili, put a Terminus on top with Jace, or ultimate whatever random Planeswalker they have? Repudiate the activated ability and we've totally turned the game around.
- Opponent tries to Modular a ton of +1/+1 counters onto their attacking Inkmoth Nexus, wipe our board with an Oblivion Stone, Equip a Batterskull, Crew a Smuggler's Copter, etc, etc, etc? Repudiate gives us answers (or at least options) we never had in 'normal' Ponza.
Here are more details though, looking at the top meta decks in turn ...
- UR Phoenix: Often game-changing vs. trigger of Awoken Horror . Often good vs. triggers of Snapcaster Mage and Arclight Phoenix .
- Dredge: Often game-changing vs. trigger of Bloodghast and Narcomoeba (if opp has multiple Prized Amalgam in the graveyard) or Prized Amalgam (if there's only one). Often good vs. triggers of Creeping Chill and Stinkweed Imp , and activated ability of Shriekhorn .
- Tron: Often game-changing vs. -X of Ugin, the Spirit Dragon or activated ability of Oblivion Stone . Often good vs. triggers of Wurmcoil Engine , Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger , activated ability of Walking Ballista , Expedition Map , and Relic of Progenitus , and -3 of Karn Liberated .
- Humans: Often game-changing vs. trigger of Kitesail Freebooter , Meddling Mage , Phantasmal Image , and Reflector Mage , and activated ability of Aether Vial . Often good vs. triggers of Champion of the Parish , Noble Hierarch , and Thalia's Lieutenant (plus Anafenza, the Foremost , Deputy of Detention , Kambal, Consul of Allocation , and Sin Collector , if they have them).
- UW Control: Often game-changing vs. actived ability of Celestial Colonnade . Often good vs. +1 (since they're tapped out the next turn) and -3 of Teferi, Hero of Dominaria , and 0 of Jace, the Mind Sculptor (if we think they have a Terminus ).
- Burn: Often good vs. trigger of Monastery Swiftspear and Eidolon of the Great Revel , and activated ability of Grim Lavamancer .
- Hardened Affinity: Often game-changing vs. Modular of Arcbound Ravager and trigger of Hangarback Walker , and activated ability of Inkmoth Nexus . Often good vs. triggered ability of Arcbound Worker , and activated ability of Walking Ballista , Steel Overseer , Welding Jar , Animation Module , Throne of Geth , and Blinkmoth Nexus .
- Grixis Shadow: Meh. Perhaps good vs. trigger of Snapcaster Mage or activated ability of Mishra's Bauble .
- Amulet Titan: Often game-changing vs. trigger of Primeval Titan . Often good vs. trigger of Amulet of Vigor , Trinket Mage and Bojuka Bog , and activated ability of Walking Ballista , Engineered Explosives , Gemstone Mine , Ghost Quarter , Slayers' Stronghold , and Sunhome, Fortress of the Legion .
- RG Rock: Often game-changing vs. +1 and -2 of Liliana of the Veil , +1 and -2 of Liliana, the Last Hope . Often good vs. triggered and activated abilities of Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet , triggered abilites of Tireless Tracker , and activated ability of Scavenging Ooze , Hissing Quagmire , and Treetop Village .
- Whir Prison: Meh. Perhaps good vs. trigger of Bottled Cloister and activated ability of Engineered Explosives , Mishra's Bauble , Tormod's Crypt , Welding Jar , and Inventors' Fair .
- Old-school Affinity: Often game-changing vs. Modular of Arcbound Ravager , Equip of Cranial Plating , and activated ability of Inkmoth Nexus . Often good vs. trigger of Signal Pest and activated ability of Welding Jar and Blinkmoth Nexus .
- Ad Nauseum: Meh. Perhaps good vs. activated ability of Simian Spirit Guide .
- Spirits: Often game-changing vs. trigger of Phantasmal Image , Reflector Mage , and Spell Queller , and activated ability of Mausoleum Wanderer and Aether Vial . Often good vs. trigger of Mausoleum Wanderer , Noble Hierarch , Rattlechains , Geist of Saint Traft , and Deputy of Detention , and activated ability of Selfless Spirit .
All that said, it's clear that in many cases a 2-mana counterspell (e.g., Negate or Mana Leak ) is better than a 2-mana stifle effect ... certainly UW Control has found that to be the case! What's not clear to me yet is if that's the case in UG Control as well ...
3 months ago
@Flooremoji: Thank you for the upvote. Arcbound Ravager and Steel Overseer are perfect and I know them...but right now I can't afford to buy them...as you correctly recognized this is a budget deck... Maybe one day I will get some copies of them :) Right now I will put in Tempered Steel and change some of the none artifact creatures. What do you think about Ethersworn Canonist , Arcbound Worker and Arcbound Stinger ?
6 months ago
Rakdos Cackler is a strong 1 drop for marchesa, comes in as a 2/2, always has a counter on it so you can also reliably sacrifice it every players turn. (Great with something like goblin bombardment)
My other 1 drop is Arcbound Worker for same reasons above with the maybe chance of distributjng counters to my other artifact creatures like baleful strix and sad robot
Arcbound Worker occurrence in decks from the last year
All decks: 0.06%