|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
Altar of Dementia
Sacrifice a creature: Target player puts a number of cards equal to the sacrificed creature's power from the top of his or her library into his or her graveyard.
Altar of Dementia Discussion
1 day ago
Currently in brew mode. Sights are set on Arcum.
4 days ago
Hey, sometimes it's not good to have so many ideas because then you feel you have to put them all into one deck, which is not necessary :)
Budget cards ($1 or less each) to consider adding:
- Llanowar Wastes
- Yavimaya Coast
- Ghost Quarter
- Bojuka Bog
- Golgari Grave-Troll
- Golgari Thug
- Buried Alive
- Satyr Wayfinder
- Stitcher's Supplier
- Coiling Oracle
- Sakura-Tribe Elder
- Mind Stone
- Farhaven Elf
- Phyrexian Delver
- Viscera Seer
- Carrion Feeder
- Body Double
- Dread Return
Budget cards ($4 or less each) to consider:
- Ash Barrens
- Eternal Witness
- Fauna Shaman
- Protean Hulk
- Ramunap Excavator
- Animate Dead
- Pernicious Deed
Opponent mill is not worth it in multiplayer Commander; it's too slow, not reliable enough unless infinite combo with Altar of the Brood or Altar of Dementia . Self-mill however is good especially with dredge. Consider Grave-Troll and Thug? These along with Stinkweed who you're already playing give a lot of budget repeatable self-mill. Buried is a powerful budget spell especially with these dredge creatures since you can tutor for and put all three into your graveyard with one card.
If you're willing to add a few other cards that are over $1 then consider adding Eternal Witness , Fauna Shaman and Protean Hulk ? These three are powerful and do different effects that are good with Muldrotha. Witness can recur any card from your graveyard. Fauna is a repeatable creature tutor while also an enabler to get creatures such as dredge creatures into your graveyard. Hulk has budget combo potential.
Cards to consider cutting:
- Golgari Guildgate
- Thornwood Falls
- Jwar Isle Refuge
- Ambush Viper
- Fleet Swallower
- Scribe of the Mindful
- Dreamborn Muse
- Manic Scribe
- Chronic Flooding
- Mirror-Mad Phantasm
- Necrotic Ooze
- Mind Grind
- Tolarian Winds
- Villainous Wealth
- Bloodchief Ascension
5 days ago
Nice write-up! Probably took some good time to type it all down.
I did have to sort your deck on type instead of your custom types to make some sence of it though ;)
I’ve been working on a meren deck with a similar sacrifice idea for a couple of years now, though the plan is a bit different they here I do have some suggestions and tips based on my experience with the archetype.
There are probably some cards here that have been mentioned before or have been tested, so sorry for that.
sac outlets are the bread and butter of these types of deck. You always need one in play or the deck falls short (this is also one of the weak point that you can attack these decks on). Some sac outlets that I haven’t seen mentioned yet:
1) Evolutionary Leap . Except that it’s not a free sac outlet I think one of the best out there!
2) Spawning Pit . One of my favorites, create more tokens from sacing creatures and it’s free to activate. Also it can quite easily go infinite with Doubling Season
3) Attrition . It’s probably mentioned somewhere her and I probably looked over it because everyone knows this.
4) Altar of Dementia . Better in meren then it’s here but still has its uses if you want to go with an infinite combo.
5) Culling Dais . Value
6) Dark Privilege . Protection of commander and outlet in one.
7) Fallen Ideal . Recurring outlet is always nice.
8) Yahenni, Undying Partisan . Indestructible outlet.
9) Helm of Possession . If people are going big.
10) Plagued Rusalka . If people are going wide.
11) Claws of Gix . Can sac any permanent and is the cheapest outlet ever made.
Some utility creatures:
12) Wirewood Herald . This is one of my favorite fun cards in my deck. Your already playing a few good other elves (rec sage, izoni, wood elves, elvish visionary) so I definitely suggest adding this one!
13) Viridian Emissary and Primal Druid are all stars in my deck. Might be useful here over some of the 3 mana ramp creatures?? (Emissary is a bit better because of clamp, and it’s an elf).
14) Golgari Findbroker . Witness #2, also it’s an elf.
15) Sengir Autocrat and Mitotic Slime . These cards give 4 and 7 sacrifices respectively. They are some of the payoff cards that I use. Especially fond of autocrat since it works with savra and skullclamp very well.
16) Reassembling Skeleton . Another one of my payoff cards, and can get nuts of I have a good board. Also there are few ways to go infinite with this one (there is a 4 card combo with this in your deck right now).
17) Savra, Queen of the Golgari . It’s an elf and since it’s a creature its easier to tutor then an enchantment. The life gain is also nice!
And one more random card that doesn’t belong in above categories:
18) Foster . At 4 mana a bit expensive but boy what value this card can give!
Some of the cars you tested and took out I’d like to comment on. I find them very very useful and would probably never cut them in my deck:
19) Fecundity . This card is the best card in my deck, the only time it’s not great is when I’m playing against weenies or people are trading creatures with each other without me having a board presents. I don’t really care if people draw a card if I kill there 6 mana creatures because it still slows them down. What’s so good about this card that It provides us with a great amount of value. This card draws of tokens which is awesome and most of the creatures your running give to sac triggers anyway. In 90% the cases this card will generate more value for us then for other players.
20) Deathreap Ritual . The only reason I’d ever cut this card is the mana cost, which at 4 is a bit expensive. You however stated the reason for excluding this card is the lack of value. I’d like to point out that Morbid doesn’t only trigger at the end of your turn but at the end of EVERY turn. It also triggers when any creature dies, so it doesn’t have to be yours and, like fecundity, it triggers of tokens dying to!! In a four player game this card can give an easy 4 cards a round.
21) Golgari Germination . I like this mostly because I play above mentioned cards which benefit hugely from tokens dying, but even without this it’s a great card rewarding you for any sacrifice and being an enchantment it’s a bit more durable as well.
22) Sakura-Tribe Elder . At two mana and a build in sac outlet this card is a cheap ramp spell that functions at all time and can provide value even if you don’t have a sac outlet in play. But if you have experienced trough testing that you get more value out of a 3 drop ramp creature then it might be different for your deck compared to meren.
Hereby I end my epistle with a last note that if your looking to take out some card I’d look at everything above 4 mana and everything with X in the mana cost. I find I always take out these in the end since I can’t cast them reliably. (5 drops stay when they are very good for the deck though).
1 week ago
This is going to be a long comment, bear with me, but I still see too much of your old mimeo deck remnants in here that just don't belong. First and foremost, Muldrotha works primarily well with permanents - so you want to ideally be playing low cost planeswalekrs, creatures, enchantments and artifacts that you can replay from your graveyard. Having a little bit of mill is nice but you have a bit of unneeded stuff here - for example, you don't need extraneous spells such as traumatize, stitch together, dread summons, life/death, etc. With that you certainly don't need some of the higher end creatures such as Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger , Platinum Angel , Artisan of Kozilek , Deadeye Navigator and even Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon . Additionally you have some artifacts which make no sense, for example you don't need 3 haste enablers so cut Fleetfeather Sandals , Chromatic Lantern is kinda unnecessary and there are better 3 drop options, I think Mesmeric Orb just makes you more of a target than anything and you don't need to mill opponents, and Trailblazer's Boots adds nothing to the deck because you don't need evasion to win. Also, cut Windfall because all it does is fill your opponents graveyards and hand which is very counter to what you want. Windfall is really bad in this deck imo.
Cards to consider for addition -
Hope this helps
1 week ago
Filth Ghave, Guru of Spores + Mazirek, Kraul Death Priest + Corpsejack Menace + 1 Saproling that is what i had on the field earlier and each had 29 +1/+1 counters on them in 3 turns had 10 lands and would make a token, sac a token, repeat. Then sacrificed all to Altar of Dementia game over.
1 week ago
I like the direction of sekkuar as lands commander, there is a little additions id like to reccomend:
Fire Covenant as a great board wipe
Priest of Forgotten Gods Really good sac outlet and card draw
Harrow Instant ramp with answer backup
Llanowar Scout a better skyshroud ranger
Altar of Dementia Self mill and play lands from graveyard, also helps with living death
Your deck also seems light on basic lands as Blood Moon , Magus of the Moon interrupts you hard(not to mention back to basics), If you ever find yourself screwed by those effects id take out non-fetchable dual lands and non-cycle lands such as Mirrorpool (strip mine is fine) and actually play blood moon to disrupt and turn it into an advantage.
1 week ago
2018-02-08 Deck Update
Added a Dredge and Mill Sub-theme to the deck after considering the . Im going to try this out and see how i like the changes
- Altar of Dementia
- Consuming Aberration
- Diluvian Primordial
- Gray Merchant of Asphodel
- Nihil Spellbomb
- Perpetual Timepiece
- Stinkweed Imp
- Golgari Thug
- Yavimaya Granger
2 weeks ago
Hello everyone! I am looking for a Wheel of Fortune .
Okay with any language, and honestly prefer heavy play / damage if it cuts the price some.
I'd like to trade for it rather than buy, so here is a list of trade fodder I have(binder out of date).
- Phyrexian Dreadnought
- Sneak Attack
- Recruiter of the Guard
- Reflecting Pool
- Weathered Wayfarer
- The Immortal Sun
- Mizzix's Mastery
- Solitary Confinement
- Mana Confluence
- Intruder Alarm
- Hall of the Bandit Lord
- Grasp of Fate
- Altar of Dementia
- Greater Auramancy
- Akroma's Memorial
- Gideon of the Trials
- Arclight Phoenix
- Supreme Verdict
- Rhonas the Indomitable
- Gruul Spellbreaker
- Assassin's Trophy
- Runaway Steam-Kin
- Sulfur Falls
- Isolated Chapel
- Steam Vents
- Watery Grave
- Eldrazi Conscription
Not much but it's what I got!
Looking to trade for as much as possible, but am not against splitting it(so if you have an $80 WoF, see $60 worth of stuff you want, I'll happily pay $20)
Altar of Dementia occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.37%
W/B (Orzhov): 0.08%
U/B (Dimir): 0.13%
BUG (Sultai): 0.14%
BGW (Abzan, Junk): 0.19%