Combos Browse all Suggest
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Put target creature card from a graveyard onto the battlefield under your control. You lose life equal to its converted mana cost/mana value.
1 week ago
The best way I've found to help Kaalia of the Vast cheat all of those big ole chonkers creatures into play is by running a solid Reanimator package so that your deck doesn't rely solely on it's Commander to function. Entomb, Reanimate, Buried Alive, Victimize, Animate Dead, Necromancy, Phyrexian Reclamation & Final Parting do a lot of work.
I'd also recommend looking through the recent Dominaria Remastered & Commander Masters sets for spicy, cheap reprints like Razaketh, the Foulblooded, Sneak Attack & Gamble. Oh, don't forget to get Vilis, Broker of Blood in there at some point as well.
Here's my own Kaalia list if you wanna check it out: ANCIENT DRAGON TEMPEST (KAALIA)
2 weeks ago
Hey dude! Good Commander choice, Kaalia of the Vast has been my main option for years now.
I'll try to keep this brief lol.
The most important thing to remember when brewing this one is to not get distracted by the possibilities of all those Angels, Demons & Dragons. Focus on card quality above all else, the Spells that are going to win you the game.
Razaketh, the Foulblooded & Vilis, Broker of Blood are the top dogs here, their power as individual cards will oftentimes win you game from sheer value. Other pieces like Rune-Scarred Demon, Burning-Rune Demon & Hoarding Broodlord will do the same if you build around them with Spells like Ephemerate & Saw in Half.
I'd also recommend more Treasure tokens! I see you're already running Smothering Tithe & Goldspan Dragon, which is a great start. Adding Ancient Copper Dragon, Cavern-Hoard Dragon, Monologue Tax, Lotho, Corrupt Shirriff & of course Dockside Extortionist will make sure that your deck doesn't necessarily need it's Commander on the field to function. There are also a few lines via Dockside Extortionist & Razaketh, the Foulblooded that deal infinite damage, produce infinite Mana and yield infinite Tutors, which we can get into later if you decide to go that route.
Wrapping up on Mana, I'd also recommend more Rituals and Rocks. Dark Ritual, Burnt Offering & Seething Song are great, as are Talisman of Hierarchy, Talisman of Conviction & Talisman of Indulgence. A Thran Dynamo could be good too. Oh man, Hellkite Tyrant can steal your opponents Rocks, which counts as Ramp I guess?
Anyway, moving on to card draw! Kaalia of the Vast runs through a lot of cards if you build her right, and keeping your hand full is a priority. Necropotence, Black Market Connections, Dark Tutelage, & Dark Confidant are great ways to turn your Life total into more gas. Esper Sentinel & Archivist of Oghma scale with your opponent's activity. None of them will do as much heavy lifting as Vilis, Broker of Blood, but that's honestly asking a lot of any card other than Ad Nauseam.
Onto the deck engine! I see you're running a few things to double down on your Commander's effect, like Aggravated Assault, Blade of Selves & Isshin, Two Heavens as One. While this strategy seems like a great idea on paper, it's actually not as efficient for the deck as it seems. Running a Reanimator strategy to ensure that the deck can continue to cheat creatures out without having to rely on it's Commander to do so is a far more powerful & consistent strategy. Spells like Entomb, Reanimate, Final Parting, Buried Alive, Victimize, Animate Dead, & Karmic Guide will pull a lot of weight in this context.
I could talk about Kaalia of the Vast all day, but I'll stop here. Let me know how you feel about these suggestions.
Also, here's my own list if you want to check it out: ANCIENT DRAGON TEMPEST (KAALIA)
4 weeks ago
Four-color cards are especially hard to design and make meaningful, per Mark Rosewater. I'm willing to grant that. Right now, though, I'm trying to line out a Curse deck that uses Lynde, Cheerful Tormentor and Eriette of the Charmed Apple. Breya, Etherium Shaper, has absolutely no synergy, and the best partner options, in my opinion, are just kind of generically useful.
(I know Go-Shintai of Life's Origin is an option, but I don't see having a deep role in this deck, and it feels a little too "five-color good stuff" for me. It's off-theme and is offering stuff I'm not sure this deck concept wants or needs.)
There could be a graveyard commander, or a damage over time commander. Maybe I'm just being demanding, but I feel like outside of the two Atraxas and 's wealth of options (so two color sets out of five), there's just not any worthwhile choices for brewing four-color decks with cards that work well together but happen to not overlap in color identity.
2 months ago
2 months ago
Boneyard Scourge has a triggered ability that puts it on the battlefield, that's not casting a spell.
Casting a spell means moving it to the stack, paying the casting cost in the process. Casting spells typically happens from your hand, but there's cards that allow you to cast spells from elsewhere. Cards with Flashback like Angelfire Ignition allow you to cast the spell again from graveyard for an alternative cost. Rivaz of the Claw allows you to do that with any dragon spell, but only once per turn. Spells with Cascade (Bloodbraid Elf ) allow you to cast a spell from exile from the top of your library for free. What these cards all have in common, is their reminder text (italic, in brackets) literally mentions "You may cast". If it says "Return to battlefield" or "Put onto the battlefield" then it's an ability or an effect from another source, but you didn't cast the creature.
Casting Reanimate on a dragon in your graveyard is not casting the dragon. Ebondeath, Dracolich can be cast from your graveyard whenever any other creature died this turn. If you do that with Rivaz in play, thàt one will get exiled if it would die again.
Hope that helps '^^
2 months ago
Step 5: Cast Peer into the Abyss targeting whoever you want to nuke!
2 months ago
Unfortunately, to up the power level, some of the things I will recommend might be pricey (cost-wise), but I'm already seeing some places to improve.
- Entomb and Buried Alive are good options to get your things into your graveyard that you can later reanimate with Scarab God. Alternately, Filth and Wonder are good things to put into the grave that give you added bonuses. (If you go the Filth route, Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth is super-valuable.)
- For mana rocks, Thran Dynamo, Gilded Lotus, and Chromatic Lantern are all very handy and budget-friendly. If you have them, of course there's also Mana Vault, Mana Crypt, and Chrome Mox, but don't just get them for this deck. (I happen to have opened them, so they move around between decks a lot.)
- The ultimate zombie enabler, to me, is Field of the Dead. You would need to likely swap some basics for snow-covered basics to make it work more, but the condition (7 lands with different names) is incredibly easy to meet. You can also go the route of some fetching (Terramorphic Expanse and Evolving Wilds, Fabled Passage, Polluted Delta, Prismatic Vista...). Watery Grave is also highly advised, along with Contaminated Aquifer, Ice Tunnel, Underground River, and Drowned Catacomb. Port of Karfell might also be worth considering.
- The best mill payoff from your opponents is Rise of the Dark Realms. Alternately, Reanimate, Animate Dead, and Extract from Darkness are great for bonus reanimation. Junji, the Midnight Sky is another possible option. Desertion and Aethersnatch are also good to take your opponents' things before they knew what hit them.
- More tutoring. Expedition Map will help for lands; Vampiric Tutor, Demonic Tutor, and Diabolic Intent are good in general; Lim-Dul's Vault is, I find, underappreciated and very handy. Fact or Fiction is also handy to get through your deck and get fun things into the graveyard (or make your opponents wonder what's happening).
- The Meathook Massacre, Damnation, and Cyclonic Rift are extremely handy for removal. The first is also a bonus payoff if your zombies die in the process! Yawgmoth, Thran Physician is also super-useful when it comes to removal, turning your zombies into both extra cards and weakening your opponents' creatures.
- High-cost things: Force of Will, Force of Negation, Mana Drain, and Commandeer are useful for control and making sure things don't stick and Memory Jar for filling up graveyards.
3 months ago
Oi! Nice Commander pick, Mardu Knights are my jam.
If you're trying to give the decks some legs via recursion, Reanimator is the only way to go imho. Fortunately & are the perfect colors for that! Here's the Reanimator package that I typically start with if I'm building a deck in that style:
Animate Dead, Dance of the Dead, Necromancy, Reanimate, Entomb, Buried Alive, Final Parting, Phyrexian Reclamation & Sevinne's Reclamation are sick. There are also some pretty spicy loops that can be accomplished with things like Corpse Dance & Dread Return, but we can get into all of that if you decide to run Reanimator as a strategy for this build.
There's also some pretty great card draw options in this color combination that I think will do the deck some good. Necropotence, Black Market Connections, Esper Sentinel, Archivist of Oghma, Dark Confidant & Dark Tutelage all come to mind. Tectonic Reformation could provide some value here too.
I'd also also maybe cut down on some of those lands in favor of some more Mana Rocks. Talisman of Conviction, Talisman of Hierarchy, Springleaf Drum, Fellwar Stone & Chromatic Lantern would be good includes.
Tutors are expensive af, but there are a few nice choices that are very affordable right like Open the Armory, Wishclaw Talisman, Diabolic Intent, Diabolic Tutor, Gamble & Reckless Handling. Vampiric Tutor & Enlightened Tutor were just reprinted a little ago, so they're as cheap as they're going to get right now. I'm pretty sure Vampiric Tutor was like $90 a little bit ago, food for thought. Oh man, Stoneforge Mystic also exist, and is wonderful.
Lastly, a short list of neat Equipments you could consider are Conqueror's Flail, Hammer of Nazahn, Bloodforged Battle-Axe, Heartseeker, Masterwork of Ingenuity & Mask of Memory. I guess Halvar, God of Battle Flip is technically an Equipment card too?
Good luck in refining your list!