|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Rivals of Ixalan (RIX)||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
Azor, the Lawbringer
Legendary Creature — Sphinx
When Azor, the Lawbringer enters the battlefield, each opponent can't cast instant or sorcery spells during that player's next turn.
Whenever Azor attacks, you may pay [[W][U][U]]. If you do, you gain X life and draw X cards.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Azor, the Lawbringer Discussion
3 days ago
Well, Azor and his decree apply only to instants and sorceries, so any other spells is OK. And is only in effect for one turn of an opponent. Grand Abolisher is a white version of City of Solitude or Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir for a blue-colored one.
3 days ago
I was browsing the site and saw City of Solitude on someone's deck (which made me think about how nice it would be if I somehow managed to play green with Azor, maybe darevi?)... anyway, thinking about Azor, the Lawbringer (or Sphinx’s Decree) who says opponents can't play spells in their own turn (But can still cast instants in other players' turns), and the effects from Dosan the Falling Leaf or the abovementioned City of Solitude, where players can only cast in their own turns.. would this block players from casting spells completely when Azor hits the field?
1 week ago
Like this a lot as well! Im thinking of adding Decree of Silence and Solemnity as a combo to really become super controlling. Kira, Great Glass-Spinner is amazing protection for your creatures and includes herself. I really love Venser, the Sojourner. His +2 is amazing. With Azor, the Lawbringer out swing and use his activated ability and then blink him in the second main every turn. Your opponents get locked down hard when hes blinked continuously. Plus you keep him up as a blocker.
2 weeks ago
I like the concept, but this deck is severely lacking of a win condition. Carnage Tyrant is the closest thing, but if you're planning get one of those to swing for 20 over 4 turns, good luck. As for Azor, the Lawbringer, he's just not standard playable, especially with a 3 color deck. We're in a pretty aggro/tribal dominated meta rn, and this deck just doesn't account for that.
2 weeks ago
@Seetigermage - That's just blue decks for ya. It gets that way. An ideal game, you'd get him out that early. But there are those games where I don't get to go off until as late as turn 6. If I see someone is going to give me crap for casting Brago, I wait until I have something to keep him out. Luckily, everything in the deck CAN work without our main man. He's more of an abuser, making everything have more value. Oh, and politics are key. Act like you're the only guy who can stop that guy. Most of my wins come from a sneak victory, stalling the whole game. Or I draw Bribery and search that dick's Mayael deck.
3 weeks ago
Hi! Fun deck!
Hope these help! Good luck!
3 weeks ago
These are the cards from Rivals of Ixalan that made it onto one or two of my lists:
- Kumena's Awakening made it onto MagicalHacker - List of All Draw Cards (Steady) and MagicalHacker - List of All Group Hug Cards
- Nezahal, Primal Tide made it onto MagicalHacker - List of All Draw Cards (Steady) and MagicalHacker - List of All Anti-Control Cards
- Journey to Eternity Flip made it onto MagicalHacker - List of All Recursion Cards and MagicalHacker - List of All Protecting Cards
- Curious Obsession, Seafloor Oracle, Twilight Prophet, Azor, the Lawbringer, Kumena, Tyrant of Orazca, and The Immortal Sun made it onto MagicalHacker - List of All Draw Cards (Steady)
- Secrets of the Golden City made it onto MagicalHacker - List of All Draw Cards (Burst)
- Flood of Recollection, Recover, World Shaper, Angrath, Minotaur Pirate, and Atzocan Seer made it onto MagicalHacker - List of All Recursion Cards
- Mastermind's Acquisition made it onto MagicalHacker - List of All Tutor Cards
- Storm the Vault Flip, Golden Guardian Flip, Path of Mettle Flip, Azor's Gateway Flip, and Thunderherd Migration made it onto MagicalHacker - List of All Ramp Cards
- Etali, Primal Storm made it onto MagicalHacker - List of All Free Value Cards
- Arch of Orazca made it onto MagicalHacker - List of All Utility Lands
- Thrashing Brontodon and Zacama, Primal Calamity made it onto MagicalHacker - List of All Item Removal Cards
- Admiral's Order made it onto MagicalHacker - List of All Counterspell Cards
- Slaughter the Strong and Tetzimoc, Primal Death made it onto MagicalHacker - List of All Board Wipe Cards
Did I miss anything from RIX? Did I miss anything from another set? What list should I make next? Leave your feedback here or on any of my 22 lists! Thanks!
3 weeks ago
Cool deck, Have you thought of adding more protection for Azor, the Lawbringer? I would hate too see him played then removed after paying 6 mana. You could also put protection on your combo pieces if your combo'ing out. +1!