Combos Browse all Suggest
- Leovold, Emissary of Trest + Teferi's Puzzle Box
- Spirit of the Labyrinth + Teferi's Puzzle Box
- Chains of Mephistopheles + Teferi's Puzzle Box
|Commander / EDH
|Commander: Rule 0
Teferi's Puzzle Box
At the beginning of each player's draw step, that player puts the cards in their hand on the bottom of their library in any order, then draws that many cards. (That player draws their card for the turn first.)
3 months ago
IMHO their are few bigger 'lil shit' type cards than Rite of the Raging Storm, if their is an opponent who can't handle 5/1 Tramplers they are dead meat very quickly, it's a very chaotic atmosphere with Rite out. It's also very good with many cards that would work well with your Commander, such as Mask of Griselbrand, and I can point out a bunch of other options. Relic of Sauron is a very good Grixis mana rock that can also draw a card now and then. I think copy effects are probably pretty good with your Commander, if you cast Rite of Replication on your Commander you still get 5 copies ETBing and dying, which should clear out hands and serve as a huge board wipe (you get 5 triggers each of the ETB and death trigger, if you have 3 opponents left 2 of them have 1/4 of their permanents and one has half left, similar for their hands. Irenicus's Vile Duplication is another fun copy effect, this one doesn't die right away and has flying. If you like annoying creatures you might like some of the specters out their, Hypnotic Specter is an old classic that will always take away a card from whomever you hit, and Stronghold Rats can take one from each player fwiw.
I can't decide if MImic Vat would be worth it with your Commander, if you can get him into the Vat you can make a copy each turn for very little mana, but it doesn't get sacrificed unfortunately, it gets exiled at end of turn, so you'd need sac outlets to get his Death Triggers (but on the upside nobody is going to block you).
Their are a few Chaos type cards that might help with your plans to annoy the table, I've always enjoyed Teferi's Puzzle Box, but any effect that cares about your opponent drawing cards really loves the effect, if you can get Box and a Notion Thief out your opponents each lose their hand and you draw cards equal to how many they had when they lost them. Grip of Chaos can help keep your Commander (or another key permanent) alive longer, and you don't run a ton of targeted interaction yourself. Omen Machine is pretty funny, it's especially useful if you use a high average MV, same with Timesifter. Some people will try to flip the table if you resolve a Possibility Storm, especially if your deck isn't trying to abuse the effect. If you leaned harder into your spell plan, or into permanents that work regardless of who controls them you could try Thieves' Auction, a card many that is so obnoxious that some people consider scooping rather than resolving the effect.
I hope some of these ideas aren't too disruptive, it's fun to have a deck that can troll your playgroup a bit!
7 months ago
Not sure if she's up everyone's ally, but Maralen of the Mornsong is an interesting card, especially if you tutor it up on the end step before your turn, you can then dig out Opposition Agent to make Maralen way more interesting. You might want to protect Maralen, but she's a fairly strong thing to tutor out if you're willing to stop opponent's from drawing cards. Oh, and if Maralen and Oppo survive a cycle, you can dig out Teferi's Puzzle Box if you want to clear out opponent's hands with a nice looking lady.
I like Seedborn Muse's outfit, she seems classy and is very good with 5C Sisay.
I noticed you're fairly heavy on Blue, have you thought about Neurok Stealthsuit to protect key creatures? If people use a lot of targeted effects it can be very powerful.
I feel like Sol Ring is a better thematic fit for your deck than the Pride Sol Ring, ymmv naturally.
7 months ago
A funny combo I discovered with my similarly-themed Zedruu the Greathearted commander is: Teferi's Puzzle Box and Fractured Identity + Teferi's Ageless Insight. People will initially be really happy to see a Teferi's Ageless Insight on their side of the board, until they realize the implications...
7 months ago
8 months ago
Ooh, wheel punishment fun. Here are some thoughts of varying budget levels:
- Memory Jar is a great wheel effect, and comboing with Sheoldred means 14 damage right off the bat. You could also think about Teferi's Puzzle Box, cheaper-price wise and is effectively a wheel every turn. (I use this to great effect in my Nekusar, the Mindrazer EDH.)
- Wound Reflection and/or Archfiend of Despair will multiply damage and life loss, and not just from Sheoldred. (Use them both for extra fun!)
- In terms of board wipes, The Meathook Massacre, Toxic Deluge, Damnation, and Oblivion Stone are all within color and all very brutal. Living Death is a bit of a strange boardwipe, but can be quite handy. Murderous Rider is also good for pinpoint removal with an upside., and Aether Snap might also be useful depending on your playgroup.
- Tutors are good things to get your stuff, but many that I would recommend (Demonic Tutor, Vampiric Tutor, and Imperial Seal) are price-wise quite high. Diabolic Intent and Grim Tutor, however, are much less expensive, though, and recently reprinted, so maybe worth a thought.
- If reanimating is a thing you want to do, The Cauldron of Eternity is maybe worth a thought.
- Field of Ruin and Demolition Field are good pinpoint land removal tools that don't really cost you anything. (Because there are some lands that need to die.) You could also use Fabled Passage, Prismatic Vista, Evolving Wilds, and Terramorphic Expanse as other land fetches to also load up your graveyard for whatever shenanigans you plan (and for deck thinning).
- Snugglemuffin–er, Phyrexian Obliterator is great in any mono-black deck. Not only is it cute and adorable, but it's very hard to deal with.
- If you can have a reliable source of sacrificial victims (eg. Reassembling Skeleton or Bloodghast, for instance), Contamination is maybe worth a thought. Your opponents will "love" you forever when their lands only tap for one black mana at a time.
8 months ago
I would joke about "how can it be a Stax deck without Smokestack", but that's separate, and instead I'll offer up some possibly evil advice:
- Teferi's Puzzle Box or any wheel effect (like Echo of Eons) is obnoxious with Narset, Parter of Veils or Notion Thief. You could also go for Alms Collector for extra obnoxiousness.
- Raffine's Tower is a fetchable tri-land, so highly recommended. Not sure what your budget is, but other handy lands include Reflecting Pool, Field of the Dead (if you can swap out some lands for snow lands), Mana Confluence, Temple of the False God, the Fetches on-color (or even Prismatic Vista or Fabled Passage if you're basic-heavy). If you're basic heavy, maybe go for Back to Basics if you know there are lots of non-basic lands running around...
- In terms of Teferi's Protection comboing, why not Sunder?
- For removal, I highly recommend Vindicate and Anguished Unmaking. Elspeth Conquers Death is pinpoint plus reanimation, which can be handy. Cyclonic Rift is really quite pricey (surprisingly), but an excellent nuke.
- As for stealing opponents' things, I can suggest Commandeer, Desertion, Gonti, Lord of Luxury, Telemin Performance... you could also use things like Silent-Blade Oni, Ink-Eyes, Servant of Oni, and Fallen Shinobi for extra stealing fun, but given that they're Ninjas, they don't work as well without a dedicated Ninja strategy.
- Thalia, Heretic Cathar is another fun "Stax" card, as is Authority of the Consuls.
- Tutors are awesome (Demonic Tutor, Vampiric Tutor, Enlightened Tutor, Mystical Tutor, Profane Tutor, Lim-Dul's Vault...), but not sure which ones you have ready access to. I also recommend Expedition Map to help get more lands.
- For some card draw, Teferi, Time Raveler, Sphinx's Revelation, and Fact or Fiction might be worth considering.
8 months ago
I use Stormfist Crusader over the pirate cheap on mana yes they get a card but I always fine it better when it is on my turn as much as possible it is cheaper cmc wise don't have to attack and turns on Kederekt Parasite
Look at Faerie Mastermind to give yourself extra cards for low cmc and it dropped in price
I find Anvil of Bogardan works better since they still have to discard and I get them coming and going on damage
of course the Orcish Bowmasters is good
also if you want some fun Sigil of Sleep
8 months ago
Have you thought about using an Emergence Zone? Casting Maralen on the end step before your turn sounds amazing, you tutor first and can grab your Opposition Agent! Teferi's Puzzle Box is pretty interesting with Maralen out, especially if you can skip your draw step somehow (I like Necropotence). In a meta where people love Najeela and Winota I don't think I'd want to go without Make an Example in mono-Black, this removal will always hit the most important thing on each opponent's board, and if they choose poorly they'll lose more. I wonder if Necromantic Selection is more impactful/hits the table sooner than In Garruk's Wake? If you're really far behind keeping your board is probably a lot worse than stealing the best creature you wiped. I'm also not sure if Decree of Pain is better than Wake, it's modal (with both modes being potentially relevant), and it's a tad cheaper, the sheer card advantage is probably better in a cEDH deck with more fast mana though. Any reason you're not on Lightning Greaves? I find this is a reasonable choice in a deck that cares about it's Commander, I guess you're still open to Instants, but if you can't give Maralen Flash somehow it seems good, maybe I'm missing something?
Are you skipping staples like Mana Crypt and Mana Vault because they are too pricey? If you still want playable ramp in mono-Black, there are a few options that you aren't running yet. I think your average MV is high enough to look at Dream Devourer, this makes your spells easier to cast, and even if you lose the Devourer you can still cast the spell. I'm not sure it really fits, but if you need to cast big value stuff then Magus of the Coffers is good help, and it tends to impact the board sooner than Nirkana Revenant fwiw. Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth isn't ramp but it works with lots of Black cards that care about swamps. Cabal Ritual is a bigger Dark Ritual, especially if you've Milled yourself a bit.
I think I liked this deck so much it inspired me to look at my copy of Maralen, and I think I've thought of a deck for her at last, I think it'll be my sweaty try-hard win con in my Sisay, Weatherlight Captain deck, thanks for the inspiration, hope some of my ideas are helpful!