Land — Island Swamp
(: Gain or .)
As Watery Grave enters the battlefield, you may pay 2 life. If you don't, Watery Grave enters the battlefield tapped.
|Want (5)||TheHelvault , irons , Ouranos139 , metalmagic , Tishana|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Watery Grave occurrence in decks from the last year
Latest Decks as Commander
Watery Grave Discussion
2 weeks ago
Hoooookay. You said you were new, so this is a good try, but we're gonna basically entirely revamp this list.
First, you literally cannot use Mystic Sanctuary in a 3-color deck without fetches, and I do not mean Evolving Wilds . Lose that idea, you can't make it work with the budget you appear to have. (of course come back to it once you can afford 4x Flooded Strand , 4x Polluted Delta , and 2x each Hallowed Fountain and Watery Grave .)
Your(budget) manabase should look something like this:
2x Celestial Colonnade (as a win con)
2x Creeping Tar Pit (as a win con)
4x Port Town
The core of a budget Esper control deck is 4 each Serum Visions, Opt, Fatal Push, Path to Exile, Day of Judgement(or other 4-mana wrath), Archmage's Charm,
The other cards in that list that you should absolutely run are Esper Charm, any Teferi, most Jace walkers, Silundi Vision(run all of those if you can), Saw it Coming, Doomskar.
Chromium is a fine finisher, but don't run 3. Use 1, possibly 2 if you somehow have problems finding it.
I also recommend using Thassa's Intervention and any 5 cmc or less planeswalker with the text 'draw a card' on either of its first two abilities.
Quick edit: shadow63, no, control can stand taplands. But the manlands and MDFC lands are the only real lands that are worth entering tapped. (basically, they end up being extra lands that do a lot but aren't just lands.)
Also, you may want to tinker with how many manlands are used. Additionally, any spell double-faced lands are definitely playable if their spell side is worth casting at any point. Just don't cut lands for them.
You're control -- the things you're doing turns 1-2-3 are mostly Opt, Serum Visions, Path and Push.
on Power nap
1 month ago
I most certainly can! Archelos is super cool and can really warp a landbase, as now you can include so many tap lands that normally aren't too powerful, not only giving you that sort of ability but also making the land base WAY cheaper! You also have to think about the lands BEFORE you put our Archelos though, and so I'd say a balance between better lands and tap lands are what you probably want to head towards. What you have so far looks wonderful, and certainly efficient, though again, you may want to include one cycle of a certain land, maybe Breeding Pool, Overgrown Tomb, and Watery Grave? These guys can help get Archelos out, but after he's out you won't necessarily have to take the shock damage from them which I'd say deserves them a good spot in the deck. Other ones that aren't necessary but could be worth considering are Hinterland Harbor, Woodland Cemetery, and Drowned Catacomb, since again they can come in untapped with Archelos and still be relatively good without him, and of course the bounce lands Simic Growth Chamber, Golgari Rot Farm, and Dimir Aqueduct, since they can get pretty powerful when they come in untapped. Since you have Fabled Passage, Evolving Wilds, and Terramorphic Expanse I'd say it's worth it to slot in a Ramunap Excavator or Crucible of Worlds, since you'd then get two landfall triggers per turn guaranteed, since you can continuously play the sac lands again and again. If this trick proves to be very helpful, you may want to consider slotting in more fetch lands like Prismatic Vista, Misty Rainforest, Verdant Catacombs, Polluted Delta, etc. Speaking of landfall triggers, I think Myriad Landscape would work AMAZING with Archelos, as not only would the Myriad come in untapped, but so would what it searches for, giving you three landfall triggers just off of that one card if you have two mana to spare. So honestly, I don't have too much to say about the lands, I think it's pretty solid at the moment though you may need to playtest a lot to know for sure, however, I did find a bunch of great cards that could work well with Archelos!
- Amulet of Vigor: If Archelos isn't out yet and you have a ton of tap lands, this guy could be of great use, especially for just a single mana.
- Root Maze: SUPER amazing card, this guy can tax everyone but you! On your upkeep untap archelos, have everything come in untapped, then tap him before your next turn and boom now everyone's artiafcts and lands come into played tapped for one mana besides yours.
- Coldsteel Heart: Basically a 2 mana, untapped mana rock with Archelos
- Cryptolith Fragment Flip: This guy can perform your goal of whittling away peoples health, as well as coming in untapped with Archelos. The flip side can also perform that whittling quite efficiently.
- Manascape Refractor: Comes in untapped- could be pretty fun to see how that works out!
- Arcane Signet: You should run this no matter what
- Orb of Dreams: Similar power and ability to root maze mentioned above, this can tax everyone else except you with Archelos
- Renegade Map: Basically 1 mana get a basic land if you have Archelos out
- Sphere of the Suns: Great with Archelos out and coming in untapped
- Terrarion: Seems pretty solid if it doesn't come in untapped
- Worn Powerstone: Like the rest, pretty sweet if it doesn't come in tapped and can be immediately used.
- Moss Diamond/Charcoal Diamond/Sky Diamond: Untapped ability again
- Honor-Worn Shaku: Allows you to tap archelos and get something out of it
- Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth: It's amazing why not run it
- Retreat to Hagra: Can be a great way of slowly ruining your opponent's health, especially with the extra land triggers I mentioned before
- Stasis: If you already have the things you need to slowly remove your opponents health, this can pretty much ensure victory.
- Verity Circle: SUPER amazing if I'm understanding it correctly, basically whenever your opponents play a creature since it comes in tapped with Archelos you draw a card, and has the second ability if you are ever in need of it
- A great way to slowly get rid of your opponents health is with recurring triggers that happen every turn, such as curses. Here are some that I found: Trespasser's Curse, Torment of Scarabs, Cruel Reality, Curse of Thirst, and Curse of Fool's Wisdom
- ANY COMBO WITH RETREAT TO CORALHELM. Edhrec names 1000+ combos with this card, so I'd recommend looking through it and seeing if you find anything that would work if you haven't already!
That's all I have, sorry it probably wasn't too much regarding the lands, but I hope I gave you some good stuff to think about! I honestly love the deck it has a super cool theme, and seems like it could work very well! That said though, hope this helps, and have a wonderful day!
1 month ago
Now that I see it laid out like this I see two problems and why you aren't able to play all your spells when we play. The biggest problem is the number of lands you have is too low. The second problem is the amount of card advantage you have. Both are causing you to not get your land drops when you need them.
These are four cards I would take out, why I would take them out, and what I suggest you replace them with:
Languish as a board wipe is too unreliable and will often miss the big threats that you might encounter. It's great against wide boards, but even then they may have anthem effects in play that make it useless. I suggest putting in Exotic Orchard.
Harrow was the hardest one for me to pick. It is great ramp and might still be worthwhile in the deck; however, you need to cut something and I can see situations where you wouldn't have any basic lands. In those cases, it is harder to justify sacrificing a land. I also suggest replacing this with a land, but the other ideas I have are a bit pricy. The best one would be to put in Mana Confluence but it is a bit pricy (you can get it for around $20). Reflecting Pool and Prismatic Vista are also pricy but not as good as Mana Confluence. Any of the three shocklands you don't have (Overgrown Tomb, Temple Garden, or Watery Grave) would be good too. At the end of the day just putting in a basic land would be fine and help the deck a lot.
Reliquary Tower is one of the best utility lands but it doesn't generate colored mana like you need. I also don't see enough card advantage to justify having it in the deck. Replacing it with any of the lands I mentioned in the previous paragraph would do.
1 month ago
Hey, nice version of Anowon. You have several good cards, but what's with the manabase? Compared to the rest of your deck the manabase with 29x basic lands looks like it's for a $100 Commander deck not a $400+ deck. It's the main area to consider upgrading with more Dimir dual lands.
- Watery Grave
- Underground River
- Darkslick Shores
- Sunken Ruins
- Drowned Catacomb
- Sunken Hollow
- Choked Estuary
- Path of Ancestry
Consider other Rogues?
- Ghostly Pilferer
- Thieves' Guild Enforcer
- Zareth San, the Trickster : can be a repeatable effect to reanimate your opponents permanents from their graveyards after they mill them.
- Nighthawk Scavenger
- Enigma Thief : consistently it's four mana for a 5/5 flying Rogue with a strong ETB ability.
Anowon can be repeatable draw if the attacked opponent mills a creature, but this can miss/will miss a lot. Other repeatable draw options to consider.
Cards to consider cutting:
- Feldon's Cane
- Trepanation Blade
- Mind Grind
- Torment of Hailfire
- Dreamscape Artist
- Balustrade Spy
- Keymaster Rogue
Good luck with your deck.
2 months ago
Pretty cool build! Have you thought about changing the land base a bit (more fetches, are Dragonskull and Castle working well?) and I am not a huge fan of Angrath's Rampage in the Sideboard. It can hit different things, but can be pretty worthless as well. I tend to run Abrade, Dreadbore or Feed the Swarm in the Sideboard. They are a little more limiting, but instant speed and making you target what to destroy can be a big advantage. Or change cards like Watery Grave into Overgrown Tomb so you can fit Assassin's Trophy or Abrupt Decay into the Sideboard. Depending on your meta, Cleansing Wildfire could be a nice pick (dismantling Oops and Belcher, which Kolaghan's Command fails to do most times). Rain of Gore can turn into a boomerang against Heliod, Sun-Crowned, it's not a bad card but isn't an auto win against these decks either, but I've not found a better solution myself yet. Noxious Revival seems interesting and I think I've never seen it in Shadow ever before. Is it working for you? Are you usually targeting yourself with it or your opponent?
3 months ago
That's awesome! I'm glad you like it. I can't think of any planeswalker that would really be a good fit for this deck's theme and colors. A Jace or Liliana planeswalker would work, but there aren't any versions of them that work with the deck's aggressive game plan. Tezzeret is great for the colors, but artifacts don't jive well with either Faeries or Rogues. I think the closest you could come to a matching planeswalker is Oona, Queen of the Fae since the deck has a few cards that are supposed to be her soldiers (Oona's Blackguard, Scion of Oona) and her ability has some synergies. She would be somewhat difficult to cast without a couple more lands (and is generally not that good in aggro decks) but she'd add a lot of flavor.
I would first upgrade the deck's mana base. Secluded Glen, Darkslick Shores, Watery Grave, and Polluted Delta are the ideal set of lands for this deck, but once you have a couple sets of dual colored lands you can get away with all basics for the rest of it. I recommend getting 4 Secluded Glen and some mix of Darkslick Shores/Watery Grave to replace Choked Estuary and River of Tears. You don't really need any more fixing beyond that to have a consistent mana base unless you were to buy a set of Mutavault.
Once your lands are good, fill out the playset (all four copies) of Brazen Borrower and get a set of Fatal Push for the main deck. Recently I've been liking the fourth Spellstutter Sprite as well, but that's up to you.
3 months ago
Do you have any budgetary restrictions? Otherwise I'd mainly said your manabase could be improved greatly with shocklands and fetchlands such as Watery Grave and Polluted Delta. Also, not sure what happened but there seems to be two of these forums.