Feed the Swarm
Destroy target creature or enchantment an opponent controls. You lose life equal to that permanent's converted mana cost.
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Feed the Swarm occurrence in decks from the last year
Latest Decks as Commander
Feed the Swarm Discussion
2 days ago
Hey, good budget version of Zagras.
Dagger Caster is another Goblin Chainwhirler effect who's much easier to cast. Chainer, Nightmare Adept and Viscera Seer combine to repeatedly cast Caster or Chainwhirler or other creatures. Seer sacs the creature and then you can cast it again from your graveyard with Chainer. This interaction is also good with Taborax, Hope's Demise and Malakir Blood-Priest for repeatable draw/grow Taborax/each opponent loses life/you gain life each time Priest ETB. Hooded Blightfang is repeatable life loss for each opponent and life gain for you since it triggers for each creature with deathtouch who attacks.
Pain Seer, Oona's Blackguard and Goblin Cratermaker are good budget two drops for party. Seer and Cratermaker can really benefit when having deathtouch. Chaos Warp and Feed the Swarm are ways to remove an opponent's enchantment in Rakdos and Warp can remove any permanent which is very versatile instant removal.
Dark Ritual can help to ramp into a quick Zagras. Command Tower is a staple Rainbow land in Commander for multicolored decks and Path of Ancestry is another Rainbow land that can be repeatable scry when you cast a Rogue or Vampire with it.
These 13 cards can could be added for around $8 at TCGPlayer, see list
Some budget upgrades to consider:
- Dagger Caster --> Viashino Fangtail
- Chainer, Nightmare Adept --> Graveshifter
- Viscera Seer --> Bloodlord of Vaasgoth
- Malakir Blood-Priest --> Mogg War Marshal
- Hooded Blightfang --> Judith, the Scourge Diva
- Pain Seer --> Rushblade Commander
- Oona's Blackguard --> Blackbloom Rogue
- Goblin Cratermaker --> Banewhip Punisher
- Chaos Warp --> Walk the Plank
- Feed the Swarm --> Price of Fame
- Dark Ritual --> Forked Bolt
- Command Tower --> 1x Mountain
- Path of Ancestry --> 1x Swamp
Good luck with your deck.
3 days ago
Hello again FenIsABasicSwamp. Not sure if you remember me, but I was the one that was building a Haakon deck around the same time you were (a little after). I also had a GoT theme but went more discard. I've been out of the magic scene for a bit but I was coming back to check out your deck because I am trying to revamp my version. I am still amazed at this deck as it truly does everything that I love in Magic. If I could upvote this twice I definitely would. I have some questions for you if that's alright.
2) How relevant has Emergence Zone been?
3) Why fetches in a mono-colored deck? I understand filtering, but you only play two and it seems you have a lot of draw.
4) Has K'rrik, Son of Yawgmoth earned his place? Also, how do you supplement the lifeloss? I see some lifelink (and he has it as well) but have you ever needed to worry about the life lost from using him? Do you try to win before this is a problem?
6) Is Bitterblossom not worthwhile for the Contamination combo? If not, how come? I see Winter Orb in the sideboard so it seems like you may want to lockdown in some cases to ensure the deck gets to the mid-to-late game.
7) I know that Sidisi, Undead Vizier can be a repeatable tutor, but how come you don't play more tutors like Vampiric Tutor, Imperial Seal or even Increasing Ambition? (Unless money is a factor)? Also, why no Razaketh, the Foulblooded? Especially with the token generation factor.
9) Null Profusion is a card I've always meant to try, but the limit of two cards has always deterred me. How has it played for you? Staple? Needed? Just okay?
10) I'm SURE I'm missing something with Yawgmoth, Thran Physician, but he seems "off" to me in your list. You have enough draw to not worry about losing life and sacking a creature that can be sacked to other things. What does he bring to this kind of build?
11) Is the dredge from Stinkweed Imp needed? Do you constantly dredge whenever you can or is there a time and place?
14) Has Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger's cast trigger been enough non-creature removal? I saw the comment about Feed the Swarm so I won't suggest it, but what about Oblivion Stone, All Is Dust, and even Scour from Existence? If they're not needed, how come?
I read your Bio. I understand that your specifically chose not to use some of the cards and combos I've listed here. I hope that my questions come across as curiosity, not "you should do this and do that."
I know I've asked a lot of questions in this on comment, but if you could do me one more thing. Since you like underrated themes and/or commanders would you be willing to take a look at my Rakdos the Defiler deck? He is one I built early in my Magic career, purely for a theme, and without a template. He has become a powerful deck since and I'd love to hear your thoughts!
4 days ago
Must Add Arcane Denial
I'm not totally sold on Fact or Fiction anymore btw, nobody 5/0s anymore and you don't exactly have buckets of yard synergy (outside of Kess, Vizier, and Crackling Counterpart). I think your curiosity subtheme is a strong enough source of card draw, without paying 4 mana for 2-3 cards which every opponent sees. Also, just please put one of the Niv Mizzet's in here for combos.
Also not sure you need Frantic Search? It provides pretty good digging, but I Guess why dig for removal when you could just run more removal? If you want the dig I might run Impulse instead. It's not free but it isn't a lot and sees more cards.
Removal wise I think you're missing some staples. In my mind running Doom Blade, Go for the Throat, Hero's Downfall, Rapid Hybridization, and Pongify would really tie this together. Additionally I do not really like the Hagra Mauling or Malakir Rebirth. You should not count them as lands, the Malakir Rebirth isn't exactly inside this decks theme Hagra Mauling is just bad removal compared to your other options (See Murder).
Feed the Swarm would be a good include as well. Enchantment Removal is something you will absolutely need in our group and struggle to get in these colors.
Mirror Gallery. I question if this is necessary at all, given every copy of Sakishima would have this effect. However, a mirror gallery would likely tighten up consistency with that effect. You won't necessarily need to cast Sakishima, especially if its commander tax gets really up there.
Oh, I'm not entirely sure you've recognized how good Vial Smasher + x Spells are. X spells on the stack have CMC equal to what you spent on them, so like a Blue sun's Zenith or Pull from tomorrow could just absolutely destroy people.
Mogg Salvage is wack, but I like it. I'd put it towards the top of the cut list though.
Overall I think this deck works pretty well as it is. To improve this deck I think you need to streamline your control elements in the form of cheaper and more effective removal/counterspells. You have missed a lot of our table's current meta as well, but i should warn you that Dean has a Breya deck that has been very controlling recently. You cannot expect to maintain a Sakishima/Vial Smasher board state for very long, and it would probably not get very large before it is dealt with.
1 week ago
I'm going to make some suggestions but I'll keep the creature list intact. The number one thing that you need is more lands and at the very minimum you should have 37 lands.
These are cards I would take out and in order from first to last:
Clutch of Undeath is too over costed for what the aura does.
Liliana, Death Mage doesn't do much for zombie tribal and is a 6 mana planeswalker. Most other Liliana cards are good for zombie tribal.
Liliana's Scorn is a sorcery and cost too much to remove just one creature.
Cruel Revival is at least an instant but also cost too much.
Gitaxian Probe is a good card but doesn't do much for your deck.
These are the cards I would put in:
4 Swamps and Feed the Swarm. With the amount of removal I had the take out of your list, we desperatly need to put in another one and Feed the Swarm is a great black removal spell. It's biggest downfall is that it is a sorcery and not an instant but black struggles to get rid of enchantments.
Overall you picked some really great cards for zombie tribal and The Scarab God will win games all on his own. I will say that I made the same exact mistake you did with my first deck. I had only 33 lands too and found out the hard way that it was really hard to get my land drops. 37 lands is still on the low side, but it should be a lot smoother. Play with the deck some, see what you do and don't like, and then we can find some more changes for the deck. I'll post one more list of cards that you might want to add in later.
1 week ago
X-Factor11105 I've actually been seriously considering Kolaghan's Command lately, but I dunno if I'd remove Bedevil for it (Bedevil is just so so good). Dragonspeaker Shaman was in here for a while a long time ago, but I swapped him out for Dragonlord's Servant for the easier mana cost, then swapped the servant out for Nightscape Familiar because familiar applies to more of my cards. Cost reducers are only really worth it if you get their benefit multiple times in a turn, and I cast multiple red cards way more often than I cast multiple dragons.
Ugin, the Ineffable isn't quite as important as he used to be, but he's still good. Prior to Feed the Swarm being printed he was arguably the best targeted enchantment removal Rakdos had to offer (compared to stuff like Spine of Ish Sah and Scour from Existence). I wish he was at least one mana cheaper, but the removal+card advantage package he offers is still really nice
2 weeks ago
People are going to try and remove your commander, as your deck is centered around him. As such, protecting him is key.
Imp's Mischief - Counter counterspells, redirect targetted removal/draw/extra turns, etc.... super utility
Deserted Temple - Untap coffers
Thespian's Stage - Copy coffers or other utility lands
Feed the Swarm - Good removal
Blast Zone - Not needed but nice to have, another way to deal with artifacts/enchantments
Given you're saccing your own lands too, have you considered adding fetches and Crucible of Worlds? It could really offset Lake of the Dead
I got some ideas for cuts should you need. I HATE this commander so much, deck looks pretty good +1
3 weeks ago
Hey, good start on a budget. Malcolm is spelled wrong that's why it's showing in the category Unknown.
More low CMC flying/unblockable Pirates can help to do combat damage to an opponent to trigger Brass:
Merchant Raiders and Coercive Recruiter have good repeatable effects with Pirates. These effects can help to clear the way of blockers for Pirates to do combat damage to opponents. The creatures you gain control of with Recruiter get the bonus of becoming a Pirate until end of the turn which helps to trigger Brass. Both these Pirates are excellent with Fathom Fleet Captain who can be a repeatable source of Pirate tokens.
Shared Animosity can be a powerful repeatable effect for your attacking Pirates. March of the Drowned and Fiery Cannonade are helpful Pirate tribal spells. Chaos Warp, Negate, Feed the Swarm are helpful overall support spells.
Some cards to consider cutting:
- Walk the Plank
- Briber's Purse
- Soul Manipulation
- Song-Mad Treachery
- Kari Zev's Expertise
- Extract from Darkness
- Angrath, Captain of Chaos
- Pillar of Origins
- Deadeye Plunderers
- Adaptive Automaton
- Door of Destinies
Some budget land upgrades to consider:
- Exotic Orchard > Crypt of the Eternals
- Unclaimed Territory > Unknown Shores
- Crumbling Necropolis > Highland Lake
- Grixis Panorama > Jwar Isle Refuge
- Shivan Reef > Swiftwater Cliffs
- Smoldering Marsh > Akoum Refuge
- Sulfur Falls or Dragonskull Summit > Dismal Backwater
Good luck with your deck.