Combos Browse all Suggest
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
|Pauper Duel Commander||Legal|
Counter target noncreature spell.
2 months ago
This version of Narset looks so fun, man!
One thing that I feel is fundamental when remembering Narset, Enlightened Exile's function as a Commander is that her ability gives you Graveyard hate as well as pseudo card draw by giving you access to your opponent's Graveyards as well as your own, meaning that you will always have card advantage as long as you protect your Commander.
That being said, I would definitely find room for Lightning Greaves, Swiftfoot Boots, Mother of Runes, Giver of Runes, & an abundance of Counterspells. Personally, I don't like spending more than 1 Mana for a Counterspell these days. Red Elemental Blast, Pyroblast, Dispel, Swan Song & An Offer You Can't Refuse provide a crazy ceiling of value for a single Mana. If you wanted to roll with 2-drops for budget reasons, though, Delay, Arcane Denial, Dovin's Veto & Negate are all easy to cast, & throw a wide net. Misdirection & Bolt Bend are also options here.
Secondly, Narset, Enlightened Exile can only trigger on your own turn, & you need to ensure that everything is going to go as planned. Grand Abolisher & Conqueror's Flail will lock your opponents out of your turn without giving your opponents the same utility like cards like Teferi, Time Raveler & Defense Grid notoriously do. Silence, Revel in Silence Flip, Abeyance & Orim's Chant can do something similar for 1-2 Mana.
Speaking of Stax, there are a few concise, utilitarian pieces that you may want to consider. Drannith Magistrate, Sanctum Prelate, Archon of Emeria, Lavinia, Azorious Renegade, Boromir, Warden of the Tower, Aven Mindcensor & Containment Priest shut down a LOT of strategies. You'd be surprised how little most decks can do once you take away their ability to cheat stuff in, Tutor and/or cast things for free. Personally, every deck I have is heavily handicapped by all of those pieces. I wouldn't even be able to target them with removal if you played your cards right.
For noncreature Stax, you've got Chalice of the Void, Cursed Totem, Thorn of Amethyst, Deafening Silence, Grafdigger's Cage (which your Commander's ability gets around btw, very strong here), & Rule of Law as a few solid options.
You do need quite a bit more card draw, though. Scroll Rack & Sensei's Divining Top are obviously great, but the level of toolbox utility they actually give you in practice is even better than it seems! Archivist of Oghma, Faerie Mastermind & Ledger Shredder all give you card draw that scales with what your opponents are doing, which is fantastic. Other things like Deep Gnome Terramancer & Wandering Archaic Flip do the same thing, though they technically aren't card draw. Hell, might as well throw Monologue Tax out there too since I'm talking about scaling.
Speaking of synergy, let's get into that! The foremost synergies for Narset, Enlightened Exile imho is Underworld Breach + Lion's Eye Diamond + Brain Freeze & Intuition, and much of the deck should be geared towards maximizing on that. They're all very easy to Tutor up via cards like Enlightened Tutor, Mystical Tutor, Idyllic Tutor, Solve the Equation, Fabricate, Reshape, Transmute Artifact, Reckless Handling, Goblin Engineer & Gamble, in addition to being easy to recur via your Commander's ability. It's actually absurd, truly busted. I wouldn't recommend throwing Wheels like Wheel of Fortune or Windfall into the mix, though. They're very overrated, & you can just run Brain Freeze for the combo instead. No need to give all of your opponents a bunch of cards for free if you don't have to! Queen Kayla bin-Kroog is for sure worth consideration, though, if you choose to run Artifact Stax.
Maximizing on Underworld Breach, however, means running Storm. I'd recommend Birgi, God of Storytelling Flip, Storm-Kiln Artist, Urabrask Flip, Desperate Ritual, Pyretic Ritual & Seething Song to keep your Storm engine from shutting off. I personally don't condone Runaway Steam-Kin, as it's just too freaking slow & conditional compared to other options.
Additional Combat Phases would also be of great use here as opposed to trigger doublers like Strionic Resonator or something. Aggravated Assault, Waves of Aggression, World at War & Seize the Day are the only ones I'd consider running, though. You don't wanna load up on too many synergy effects when you can just Tutor for the best of them when the time's right, ya know?
Since you're running Dockside Extortionist, I'd also consider Cloudstone Curio. With one other Creature (like Spellseeker for example), you can produce infinite Treasures & ETBs with little effort, which is usually more than enough to get you to the finish line.
Your ramp package is looking solid enough, but I'd include 2 more Rocks as well as the rituals I named previously. Fellwar Stone is, functionally, a 5-color Rock for 2 Mana, which is absurd. I tend to not condone 3-drop rocks, with the exception of Chromatic Lantern, which was just reprinted recently and is currently super cheap.
Oh man, now that I think of it Isochron Scepter + Dramatic Reversal gives your whole team infinite power and toughness via your Commander, as well as giving you infinite Mana if you have enough Rocks on the field. Maybe consider it lol.
Monastery Mentor seems to fit like glove here as well, offering some much needed redundancy and a surprising amount of board presence. It's kind of like Deep Gnome Terramancer or Wandering Archaic Flip in the sense that it just provides waaaay more value while playtesting than you thought it was going to!
Also, consider giving yourself Hexproof with stuff like Witchbane Orb to protect your own Graveyard.
To summarize, I really think your best bet with this one is building a system that gets to either an Underworld Breach + Lion's Eye Diamond + Brain Freeze combo win or an Intuition win as quickly as possible, with other combos like Dramatic Reversal + Isochron Scepter being strong potentialities on the way.
2 months ago
Updated for the following:
This deck runs on 1-2 mana cards with a flip card for 3 mana, so the lower mana amount doesn't impact this deck as much. The Negates give more protect against Sorcery and Instants and the Swiftspears give more early game aggro.
2 months ago
Elder Brain: slow, but could be funny
Sword of War and Peace: could help punish the card draw
you may want to up the number of counterspells to deal with the fact you're helping your opponents dig, combo decks will ruin your day.
I might trade out some of the 3 drop rocks for signets or talismans
It may not be a bad idea to have some other cheap combo line to pull off when playing against combo decks as well since you're digging so much with the draw (Consecrated Sphinx could help here too)
the big worry is needing to speed the deck up which involves somewhat expensive mana rocks:
3 months ago
- Disciple of Deceit This seems to have anti-synergy with Ninjutsu. Since you return an attacker, you are not going to untap it. Overall people seem to overestimate this card. It looks like a tutor, but it's rather quite bad.
- Inkrise Infiltrator, Vedalken Infiltrator Power one for two mana mana is not worth it.
- Kotose, the Silent Spider This costs too much for a 4/4 with no evasion and no immediate board effect.
- Okiba Reckoner Raid Flip At the start of the game, you can't use it as an attacker. In late game, Menace is not that effective. Overall Changeling Outcast is a more reliable creature for one black mana, and even that isn't exactly a premium card.
- Twisted Embrace 4 mana is too much for this.
Other cards to add:
- Shriekmaw - At worst it's a mediocre 2 mana sorcery removal spell, which is not bad. In longer game, you'll get a 3/2 unblockable create to close the game, which further works with nunjutsu. If you can manage to evoke it with Feign Death or Undying Evil...
- Baleful Strix This is a two mana removal which draws a card. And with Ninjutsu, it you can draw additional card.
- Siren Stormtamer This is an early ninjutsu enabler, which also protects your better creatures. Unlike say Negate, it can also proactively attack.
- Sleeper's Robe Ensures unblockability of your ninjas with a card advatage just for 2 mana.
- Clearwater Pathway Flip Yet another untapped dual land.
3 months ago
Balvron Thanks, man! Happy to help, really.
So the core of the / presence in the deck should be devoted to Dorks, Ramp and Tutors so that you can quickly get the deck engine up and running. Getting your commander on the field and geared up as quickly as possible is everything in this new context. Some cheaper options for Tutors are Diabolic Tutor, Profane Tutor, Mastermind's Acquisition and Increasing Ambition. I'd really recommend just biting the bullet and slotting in the more efficient ones like Demonic Tutor, Vampiric Tutor, Diabolic Intent & Wishclaw Talisman though. Cheaper card draw options like Phyrexian Arena & Dark Tutelage are also pretty solid. Necropotence, Black Market Connections & Dark Confidant are up there, but worth it.
The only thing you need for is for card draw and interaction, with a few key Proliferate pieces that you'll be able to Tutor for when the time is right. Spells like Brainstorm, Ponder, Tolarian Winds, Impulse, Preordain & Serum Visions provide decent gas for cheap. Classics like Counterspell, Delay, Negate, & Dispel protect your game plan. Flux Channeler & Tekuthal, Inquiry Dominus are probably the only Proliferate pieces you'll need, but I'd Throw a Serum Snare in there too. Mystical Tutor, Rhystic Study & Mystic Remora are always nice to have as well.
The few things you'll need for here is to Tutor up gear for your Commander with cards like Enlightened Tutor, Idyllic Tutor, Steelshaper's Gift & Open the Armory, and occasionally control the board with Swords to Plowshares or Path to Exile. I'd also recommend some Stax pieces like Silence, Grand Abolisher, Smothering Tithe, Esper Sentinel, Archivist of Oghma & Drannith Magistrate for good measure, & some more Commander protection with Mother of Runes & Giver of Runes.
eliakimras on B.F.D.
3 months ago
Glancing through your cards, your deck's problem might be because you're building it based on best-case scenario, with tons of clones and blink synergies. (In my playgroup, Miirym always gets removed before her untap step, so the Miirym player does not rely on her sticking to the board.)
I'll suggest some upgrades for your deck based on making it more consistent and less dependant on Miirym:
Explosive turns with lots of cost reducers sound nice... if people don't blow up your dorks before you get any value from them.
- I would swap out Dragonlord's Servant, Goblin Anarchomancer, Bronze Walrus, Dragonspeaker Shaman, Open the Gates, Mind Stone, Lapis Orb of Dragonkind, Commander's Sphere, Gilded Lotus for Fellwar Stone, Farseek, Nature's Lore, Three Visits, Cultivate, Kodama's Reach, Chromatic Lantern, Coalition Relic, Herald's Horn.
2nd. You need more lands (36 lands + 13 ramp cards is a good starting point)
- Storage lands like Crucible of the Spirit Dragon are only worth it with proliferate shenanigans. Exotic Orchard serves you better.
- Forgotten Cave and Tranquil Thicket can be Sheltered Thicket and Ketria Triome instead. (Synergy with the landfetchers above.)
- Highland Lake, Swiftwater Cliffs, Temple of Epiphany, Timber Gorge and Woodland Stream could be these utility lands instead: Mosswort Bridge, Myriad Landscape, Blighted Woodland, Kessig Wolf Run, Littjara Mirrorlake.
- Bala Ged Recovery Flip, Valakut Awakening Flip and Glasspool Mimic Flip are three spells that can be played as a land. I would take out Dragonmaster Outcast, Delina, Wild Mage and Demanding Dragon for them.
- Evolving Wilds and Terramorphic Expanse could be swapped out for Unclaimed Territory and Secluded Courtyard.
3rd. Better counterspells
4th. Better removal
5th. Better boardwipes
- Klauth's Will is a more versatile Magmaquake. Ryusei, the Falling Star can be cloned for extra doom for your opponents. Curse of the Swine does not touch your board.
- I would take out Magmaquake, Preordain and Opt for the cards above.
6th. More card draw
- Garruk's Uprising is a better Colossal Majesty.
- Garruk, Primal Hunter and Return of the Wildspeaker are also all-stars here. I would take Korlessa, Scale Singer and Mirror Box out for them.
7th. Better win conditions
- About this, please check miirym , need recommendations build and the comment I made on that page. You have plenty of options in this regard.
4 months ago
This is a really solid build of an overlooked commander.
Clout of the Dominus is worth a spot.
Divine Reckoning quality removal for this strategy.
Calamity Bearer something to think about. Narrow but definitely interesting.
4 months ago
One with Nothing I see it in your maybe board. If you want to run it for flavor I respect that but what immediately comes to mind in a mono colored graveyard strategy is... Null Brooch. Sure it's more than 1 mana but it's a repeatable Negate in mono black.