Combos Browse all Suggest
|Commander / EDH
|Commander: Rule 0
Target opponent reveals cards from the top of his or her library until he or she reveals a creature card. That player puts all noncreature cards revealed this way into his or her graveyard, then you put the creature card onto the battlefield under your control.
7 months ago
I would joke about "how can it be a Stax deck without Smokestack", but that's separate, and instead I'll offer up some possibly evil advice:
- Teferi's Puzzle Box or any wheel effect (like Echo of Eons) is obnoxious with Narset, Parter of Veils or Notion Thief. You could also go for Alms Collector for extra obnoxiousness.
- Raffine's Tower is a fetchable tri-land, so highly recommended. Not sure what your budget is, but other handy lands include Reflecting Pool, Field of the Dead (if you can swap out some lands for snow lands), Mana Confluence, Temple of the False God, the Fetches on-color (or even Prismatic Vista or Fabled Passage if you're basic-heavy). If you're basic heavy, maybe go for Back to Basics if you know there are lots of non-basic lands running around...
- In terms of Teferi's Protection comboing, why not Sunder?
- For removal, I highly recommend Vindicate and Anguished Unmaking. Elspeth Conquers Death is pinpoint plus reanimation, which can be handy. Cyclonic Rift is really quite pricey (surprisingly), but an excellent nuke.
- As for stealing opponents' things, I can suggest Commandeer, Desertion, Gonti, Lord of Luxury, Telemin Performance... you could also use things like Silent-Blade Oni, Ink-Eyes, Servant of Oni, and Fallen Shinobi for extra stealing fun, but given that they're Ninjas, they don't work as well without a dedicated Ninja strategy.
- Thalia, Heretic Cathar is another fun "Stax" card, as is Authority of the Consuls.
- Tutors are awesome (Demonic Tutor, Vampiric Tutor, Enlightened Tutor, Mystical Tutor, Profane Tutor, Lim-Dul's Vault...), but not sure which ones you have ready access to. I also recommend Expedition Map to help get more lands.
- For some card draw, Teferi, Time Raveler, Sphinx's Revelation, and Fact or Fiction might be worth considering.
1 year ago
2nd edit; added a few mana rocks and dual lands. More usefull mill spells, removed a few mill 2s for things like Duskmantle Guildmage, Ruin Crab, Telemin Performance, and Teferi's Tutelage.Also added more wombo-combos to add to Mirko like Fireshrieker and Trepanation Blade. Sprinkled a little more mill in with Mindcrank to start hurting them when they mill.
1 year ago
Tainted Adversary seems a bit mana intensive to really get good results from. How many tokens do you usually get when you cast it? And is the effect worth that much mana investment? I don't like Stitchwing Skaab, either, especially when you talk about running out of gas. It will only contribute to that problem if you don't have cards to discard, and you don't want to discard better cards to play that one.
I'd consider cutting Spell Swindle for a cheaper CMC counterspell, or a straight removal spell. I think you want to be pretty aggressive with how you spend your mana in this deck, and holding up 5 mana to counter a spell is counterintuitive to that strategy.
I'd drop the mill theme: Dread Summons, Drown in Dreams, Maddening Cacophony, Peer into the Abyss, Psychic Corrosion maybe even Telemin Performance. I would add card draw spells in those spots. Night's Whisper, Ambition's Cost, and Sign in Blood will always draw you cards, regardless of board state. Altar's Reap, Village Rites, and Vampiric Rites are good draw sources when you have a board state. I'd recommend pushing your ramp to 10 spells, and then you should be off an running.
Good luck going forward with this deck.
2 years ago
I like this theme. There's a few of my favorite additions missing from your list, though, so I'll just drop them here...
Also, Telemin Performance is a card I really wish was good, and tend to run it even though it isn't, and Knowledge Exploitation is one of my absolute favorites, but probably wouldn't work for you because you don't have nearly enough Rogues to cast it for its prowl cost.
Furthermore, I've seen in the comments that you don't like to run cards that steal stuff because it makes hurt feels, but it's worth mentioning that Treachery is, in my opinion, seriously undervalued.
I'm not good at suggesting cuts, but just wanted to enter my two cents. Cheers!
2 years ago
I'm not the utmost expert on mill decks, though I've seen plenty of them on this site for easy reference.
First off, there are definite infinite combos for the theme, but I don't know them all because I prefer not to use them. However, one that I do know is Arcanis the Omnipotent + Laboratory Maniac + Mind Over Matter . That's more for a self-mill deck, and generally runs Thassa's Oracle with other infinite combos.
Other than that, here's a short list of things I can think of that are missing from your list:
Blue doesn't have much removal, and relies on counterspelling to cover that category. However, in a mill deck, cards like Anchor to the Aether and Forced Retreat can act like creature removal. On a similar subject, Memory Lapse is a good, cheap counter for mill decks, though arguably better in multicolored decks.
Sphinx's Tutelage, Teferi's Tutelage and Psychic Corrosion are really good for mill, especially if you add things like Windfall, Jace's Archivist, Kami of the Crescent Moon, Gadwick, the Wizened, Teferi's Ageless Insight, Folio of Fancies and Prosperity in there, as well as synergizing with cards like Brainstorm, Visions of Beyond, Ponder, etc.
Other cards you may consider would include Maddening Cacophony, Keening Stone, Increasing Confusion and Telemin Performance. Also, High Tide as the best possible choice for ramp in blue, especially if you want to set off an effective Brain Freeze (which I think would be better off in a deck that was specifically designed to cast Storm spells, rather than a straightforward mill deck).
Sorry for the amazingly long and complicated response, haha. Also, I didn't take the time to check how many of my suggestions were already on your list, so I apologize if I did that.
3 years ago
Counterspell, Quicksilver Fountain, Cloak and Dagger, Whispersilk Cloak, Dissipate, Stolen Identity, Tideshaper Mystic, Capsize, Insidious Will, AEtherspouts, Rewind, Dissolve, Telemin Performance, Commit / Memory, Explorer's Scope, Lonely Sandbar, Halimar Depths, Desert of the Mindful, Remote Isle. These are all off the top of my head, apologies for any repeats.
3 years ago
3 years ago
well, imo, i would replace Telemin Performance for its inconsistency in landing a beefy creature. Sometimes you just get dorks. Another card i would consider cutting is Sewer Nemesis. Yeah, that card do also mill your opponent but the value of thinning your deck and getting a good draw(animators) is more important. ramp will also help you in casting those reanimators you draw.