At the beginning of your upkeep, you may put a soot counter on Smokestack.
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player sacrifices a permanent for each soot counter on Smokestack.
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
- Bitterblossom and Smokestack - Upkeep triggers
- Does Smokestack Sacrifice Itself?
- Sacrifice Protection / Upkeep trigger order / Oblivion Ring - Multiple Questions
- Can I sacrifice something for multiple reasons?
- If I have multiple things that happen during my upkeep, can I decide in what order they happen?
Latest Decks as Commander
2 weeks ago
Thanks for your suggestions Epicurus! I did overlook Crop Rotation when I was building as I thought it wasn't worth wasting a permanent slot, but I think that I'll definitely give Elvish Reclaimer a try, as the effect is very powerful. Do you think a Dark Depths + Thespian's Stage Combo could be added?
I put in the infinite combo as I found that in my first iterations of this list I didn't have many win conditions, I also try to avoid them when possible.
My playgroup generally dislikes Storm Cauldron effects which is why I tried avoiding stuff like Contamination and Smokestack . Thanks for the suggestion though, first time seeing the card and I will definitely try it out sometime in a different deck :)
3 weeks ago
Edit 1 Got rid of copy effects as getting a free tutor/ ad naus was too rare and countering spells was too reactive for such a proactive deck.
Added Chandra planeswalkers for draw, damage, and devotion to red
Removed Slower stax pieces like Smokestack
1 month ago
honestly going RG base with a WU splash is what I find to be the best. You have access to things like Academy Ruins and Hall of Heliod's Generosity to get back your milled moxen or Exploration s as you need.
Anyway, I would argue that, even with no black mana in the deck, that Smokestack is much less powerful than Nether Void in most matchups. Dredge will still function, of course, but will not be able to cast too many spells. Even something like Sphere of Resistance is a better alternative. The worst matchup for lands is Storm, so making them have to start sacrificing their lands after they've probably already gone off and killed you seems pretty impractical. Sphere of Resistance makes them need to deal with it before even thinking of going off, since the entire power of storm bases itself around making enough mana to go off, rather than making overly excessive amounts, so leeching 1 mana per spell seems really strong (and it is in practise, too)
I also find that 4 Dark Depths and 4 Thespian's Stage are both sort of overkill, as when you're functioning fully you're effectively drawing 3 cards per turn with loam putting the top 3 cards of your deck into your bin. I do find that Field of the Dead is a really good alternative too, and even against 1 lands spy or manaless dredge or whatnot you can still make a board with it - wasteland your own things and replay them through the power of loam. It's really sketchy, but if that's all you can do then so be it. It does give you quite a boardstate quite quickly in any case.
Propaganda is a much worse version of Glacial Chasm , and yes glacial chasm has a cumulative upkeep cost, but if you have loam and Exploration available then you can just sit and control the board with Punishing Fire s to chip down your opponent and their boardstate. If you have another exploration out then you can advance your own boardstate althewhile too.
2 months ago
Well, a good classic card for storm decks is Aetherflux Reservoir and you aren't running a Bolas's Citadel which imo is too good to pass up. Also some bombs in this deck is Endless Cockroaches , Cloudstone Curio , Ayara, First of Locthwain and Priest of Gix . Demon's Disciple and Plaguecrafter are also good cards, can't have too many Fleshbag Marauder effects.
I also enjoyed playing Painful Quandary , Smokestack , Descent into Madness Bitterblossom and Contamination when I built Endrek Sahr, Master Breeder and Tergrid, God of Fright Flip would probably fit here too.
This commander I used as a sac stax deck with a storm win con, Exsanguinate is another win con you can use for this deck.
Good luck, hope your play group keeps playing with you haha
2 months ago
why: i hate magical Christmas land and don't wanna get stuck in that mind state, Endrek helps the "stax" aspect, feeds Skullclamp , Tevesh Szat, Doom of Fools , Smokestack , Ashnod's Altar , Phyrexian Altar . and now Sadistic Hypnotist
why: Sheoldred is 7cmc really late game and doesn't truly help the deck along, Profet93 I think I now see what youre getting at, she's not weak in the deck, she's just not efficient. I have Smokestack for this slot. Secondly Phyrexian Reclamation can make up for the recursion half of her. That being said, Sadistic Hypnotist because the mans a fucking baller. Also because i'm gonna love ripping hands enough said.
3 months ago
I really like mindslicer, i'm thinking more along the lines of
this is one bad hippie, and works well with the above mentioned Master Breeder, not to mention another sac outlet for shenans
4 months ago
In my humble opinion, Kaldheim is looking like an amazing set. We haven't gotten any broken things, but they all look fun. Let's go over some of the future commanders of our hearts! I'm skipping over commanders that use fortell, as we don't have many cards for them. Oh, and the cards that don't interest me. My post, my rules!
- Magda, Brazen Outlaw: The dwarf commander we've all been waiting for! Dwarven Recruiter is finally good, and you can add in some spicy treasure/dragon synergies, too! I-I think we did it guys. We broke Dockside Extortionist. Oh, and Hellkite Tyrant is a must.
- Halvar, God of Battle Flip: While pretty good in Voltron decks, he makes for the first artifact commander we've ever had, and I know my Inner Johnny is tickled at that fact. The Equipment side is also super cool, with being able to pay 4 mana to resuscitate one of your creatures. With some Phyrexian Altar + Ashnod's Altar janks, we can make a fun mono-white combo deck! Oh, and Batterskull says hi.
- Lathril, Blade of the Elves: I'm really psyched for this general. She looks like a way to make Golgari Elfball more viable, has a crazy, but not broken, activated ability, and is one of the only generals to make a usually too-competitive strategy fit for more casual tables. She has synergy up the wazoo with cards like Immaculate Magistrate and Timberwatch Elf. Oh, and one card that should be in every one of her decks, but is in zero so far, is Elder of Laurels. This card = broken in this deck, often turning your Lathril, Blade of the Elves into a four-digit power commander. Run it!
- Vorinclex, Monstrous Raider: Finally, Superfriends has some support! But seriously, this is just another Doubling Season with an upside on a stick for Atraxa, Praetors' Voice. If you want to be cruel and run this bad boy as a commander, stax/superfriends seems the way to go. Say hello to Smokestack!
- Toski, Bearer of Secrets: And people said Green couldn't draw cards! Why did they have to print another Edric, Spymaster of Trest? This card is also an indestructible blocker with cards like Seedborn Muse and Quest for Renewal. Oh, and it can't be countered. Why? Because green.
- Valki, God of Lies Flip: This card is super fun. It's like a Lazav, the Multifarious but you get to use your opponent's creatures. But where this 'lil trickster god really shines is in the 99. But more specifically, in the 99 of The First Sliver. See, you can cascade into Valki, God of Lies Flip, but instead of casting the small side, you can just windmill-slam Tibalt, Cosmic Impostor on Turn 4. Fun!
- Sarulf, Realm Eater: Golgari Control is a thing, I guess? Stack your deck like card:Skullbrair, the Walking Grave does, but instead of going for the voltron combos, instead, you wipe your opponent's board every turn. Evolutionary Escalation is a must. Who cares about an 8/8 on your opponent's side when it's dead?
- Kolvori, God of Kinship Flip: Man, Sisay, Weatherlight Captain sure got a lot of new goodies in this set! This card is unfortunately not great as a commander. If I'm playing mono-green legends, I'd rather play Reki, the History of Kamigawa.
- Tergrid, God of Fright Flip: I love this card. There. I've said it. I'm done. This goes in so many different decks: Nekusar, the Mindrazer, Tinybones, Trinket Thief, Malfegor, Mazirek, Kraul Death Priest, Nath of the Gilt-Leaf, the list goes on and on! As a commander, she's kill-on-sigh. A single Smallpox just wins you the game.
- Vega, the Watcher: I'll say it: This is probably the most powerful uncommon commander ever printed. This triggers off of so many things: Elsha of the Infinite, Flahsback, Cascade, Retrace, Future Sight, Suspend, Adventure, Foretell, Impulse Draw, etc. Need I say more?