|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander Anthology (CM1)||Common|
|Planechase Anthology (PCA)||None|
|Commander 2015 (C15)||Common|
|Planechase 2012 Edition (PC2)||Common|
|Mirrodin Besieged (MBS)||Common|
|Mirrodin Besieged: Phyrexia (MBP)||Common|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Elf Scout
When Viridian Emissary dies, you may search your library for a basic land card and put that card onto the battlefield tapped, then shuffle your library.
Viridian Emissary Discussion
1 week ago
Hi, nice deck! By the way, not to be mean or anything, but this seems grabbed straight out from EDHREC, but you can easily fix it up. I enforce the comment from ZendikariWol (he helped me out with They See Me Diggin', They Hatin', my meren deck, sometime ago), in that you need to cut those things which don't really help you winning, but instead make you just "win more". I would consider trying to run more creatures, as you can recycle them any time you need them for their effects. Apart from the cards you already got suggested to add, which I suggest too, I'd also consider:
- Ashnod's Altar is a really explosive must include card. Free sac outlet.
- Skullwinder is super strong. can be used oplitically, but more importantly lets you buy back those noncreature cards that happen to have hit your graveyard. Plus, it's a 1/3 deathtouch.
- Nyx Weaver is the same as the above, but can only be used once. But if it rebuys you the spell that makes you win the game, it suddenly becomes so powerful...
- Mind Slash is a cool sac outlet, that lets you get rid of those spells you don't like, and slow your opponents down.
- Avenger of Zendikar as it floods the board and gives you sacrifice targets. It also can pump up those token, but that's far less likely to happen. Still really solid.
- Endrek Sahr, Master Breeder is a cool token generator if you ahve access to free sacrifice outlets, but it's a bit slow.
- Harvester of Souls draws lots of cards. The potential of decking yourself is not that much of a problem, considering that you may draw a card, but are not obliged to.
- From Beyond is a cool little token/mana generator, that can tutor up Smothering Abomination .
- Izoni, Thousand-Eyed is both a sac outlet, card draw and token generator. Must have.
- Pathbreaker Ibex and Overwhelming Stampede both make up for very powerful win conditions with all of the aforementioned token generation.
- Woodfall Primus has recently gone down in price and it's a nice piece of removal that can be used twice if a sac outlet is provided.
- Primal Druid is a cool dude that can chump-block and will ramp you like crazy if you start chain reanimating it. It's a worse Viridian Emissary , which is again a worse Dave .
2 months ago
Nice write-up! Probably took some good time to type it all down.
I did have to sort your deck on type instead of your custom types to make some sence of it though ;)
I’ve been working on a meren deck with a similar sacrifice idea for a couple of years now, though the plan is a bit different they here I do have some suggestions and tips based on my experience with the archetype.
There are probably some cards here that have been mentioned before or have been tested, so sorry for that.
sac outlets are the bread and butter of these types of deck. You always need one in play or the deck falls short (this is also one of the weak point that you can attack these decks on). Some sac outlets that I haven’t seen mentioned yet:
1) Evolutionary Leap . Except that it’s not a free sac outlet I think one of the best out there!
2) Spawning Pit . One of my favorites, create more tokens from sacing creatures and it’s free to activate. Also it can quite easily go infinite with Doubling Season
3) Attrition . It’s probably mentioned somewhere her and I probably looked over it because everyone knows this.
4) Altar of Dementia . Better in meren then it’s here but still has its uses if you want to go with an infinite combo.
5) Culling Dais . Value
6) Dark Privilege . Protection of commander and outlet in one.
7) Fallen Ideal . Recurring outlet is always nice.
8) Yahenni, Undying Partisan . Indestructible outlet.
9) Helm of Possession . If people are going big.
10) Plagued Rusalka . If people are going wide.
11) Claws of Gix . Can sac any permanent and is the cheapest outlet ever made.
Some utility creatures:
12) Wirewood Herald . This is one of my favorite fun cards in my deck. Your already playing a few good other elves (rec sage, izoni, wood elves, elvish visionary) so I definitely suggest adding this one!
13) Viridian Emissary and Primal Druid are all stars in my deck. Might be useful here over some of the 3 mana ramp creatures?? (Emissary is a bit better because of clamp, and it’s an elf).
14) Golgari Findbroker . Witness #2, also it’s an elf.
15) Sengir Autocrat and Mitotic Slime . These cards give 4 and 7 sacrifices respectively. They are some of the payoff cards that I use. Especially fond of autocrat since it works with savra and skullclamp very well.
16) Reassembling Skeleton . Another one of my payoff cards, and can get nuts of I have a good board. Also there are few ways to go infinite with this one (there is a 4 card combo with this in your deck right now).
17) Savra, Queen of the Golgari . It’s an elf and since it’s a creature its easier to tutor then an enchantment. The life gain is also nice!
And one more random card that doesn’t belong in above categories:
18) Foster . At 4 mana a bit expensive but boy what value this card can give!
Some of the cars you tested and took out I’d like to comment on. I find them very very useful and would probably never cut them in my deck:
19) Fecundity . This card is the best card in my deck, the only time it’s not great is when I’m playing against weenies or people are trading creatures with each other without me having a board presents. I don’t really care if people draw a card if I kill there 6 mana creatures because it still slows them down. What’s so good about this card that It provides us with a great amount of value. This card draws of tokens which is awesome and most of the creatures your running give to sac triggers anyway. In 90% the cases this card will generate more value for us then for other players.
20) Deathreap Ritual . The only reason I’d ever cut this card is the mana cost, which at 4 is a bit expensive. You however stated the reason for excluding this card is the lack of value. I’d like to point out that Morbid doesn’t only trigger at the end of your turn but at the end of EVERY turn. It also triggers when any creature dies, so it doesn’t have to be yours and, like fecundity, it triggers of tokens dying to!! In a four player game this card can give an easy 4 cards a round.
21) Golgari Germination . I like this mostly because I play above mentioned cards which benefit hugely from tokens dying, but even without this it’s a great card rewarding you for any sacrifice and being an enchantment it’s a bit more durable as well.
22) Sakura-Tribe Elder . At two mana and a build in sac outlet this card is a cheap ramp spell that functions at all time and can provide value even if you don’t have a sac outlet in play. But if you have experienced trough testing that you get more value out of a 3 drop ramp creature then it might be different for your deck compared to meren.
Hereby I end my epistle with a last note that if your looking to take out some card I’d look at everything above 4 mana and everything with X in the mana cost. I find I always take out these in the end since I can’t cast them reliably. (5 drops stay when they are very good for the deck though).
2 months ago
MeekTheFierce Thanks for your thoughts.
Honestly I think I missed that Viridian Emissary is a death trigger, I'll make that change at some point... Either elf would be a good idea. Flame Jab is more often a way to discard lands for cheap and more of a test to see if it is worth while. There hasn't seemed to be any need for more removal so it hasn't been replaced as of yet. I would like to upgrade the land base but it won't happen anytime soon...
Glad you like the deck.
2 months ago
I've always wanted to play with Lord Windgrace but I have a very finely tuned Gitrog deck and I couldn't bring myself to dismantle it and make a Jund version of it.
Couple of suggestions...
You may want to look at Greenseeker for more land drop opportunities. Flame Jab seems weak, I would consider taking that out for more direct removal such as Abrupt Decay or Maelstrom Pulse . If you're worried about budget, I would maybe run Ravenous Chupacabra since you have somewhat of a recursion theme going on. Wood Elves or Farhaven Elf seems better than Viridian Emissary since it happens upon ETB and not on a death trigger. Not to mention, wood elves can get non-basic Forests, which leads me to my next bit about this deck...
Otherwise, good job on the deck!
3 months ago
With Retreat to Coralhelm in play you could use mana tutoring dorks and make a chain like like Veteran Explorer > Viridian Emissary / Primal Druid > Farhaven Elf / Wood Elves > Wild Wanderer / Solemn Simulacrum > Gobbling Ooze > Ulvenwald Hydra > Protean Hulk. You should have mana left over and a sac outlet to use on the hulk at the end of it. Even if you get fizzled somehow you ramp out a bunch of mana in the process. Imagine it happening with Amulet of Vigor or Lotus Cobra in play too...mmmmm yummy over kill.
Could be an interesting angle to explore for the deck. However it since it requires the enchantment to be in play to function, we need ways to find it. I think the best tutor for it might be Drift of Phantasms... which also conveniently finds Intruder Alarm and Faces of the Past (which probably enables some decent elf/wizard/ooze chains too). Getting the Drift of Phantasms in hand should be easy enough with all the creature tutors available in green. Could be cool, maybe even good ;)
3 months ago
- Tragic Arrogance --> Oblivion Stone
- Proper Burial --> Vedalken Orrery
- Hardened Scales --> Enlightened Tutor
- Viridian Emissary --> Wheel of Sun and Moon
- Wall of Omens --> Scavenging Ooze
Lands incoming !
Tell me what you think, vote now on your phone.
4 months ago
Golgari Thug is probably even worse than the troll.
It That Betrays' mana cost is absurd.
Lord of Extinction, without evasion, isn't anything fantastic.
Mycoloth usually doesn't live to your upkeep.
4 months ago
Caustic Caterpillar Font of Fertility Vessel of Nascency Deglamer Unravel the Aether Viridian Emissary Thrashing Brontodon Splendid Reclamation Predatory Urge Regal Behemoth Swiftfoot Boots Lightning Greaves
Viridian Emissary occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%