|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|New Phyrexia (NPH)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Chancellor of the Annex
Creature — Angel
You may reveal this card from your opening hand. If you do, when each opponent casts his or her first spell of the game, counter that spell unless that player pays 1.FlyingWhenever an opponent casts a spell, counter it unless that player pays 1.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (16)||VGJustice , Fullmetalmage , wackozacko , Pelli , jkempic , , bakeraj4 , , Mortiferus_Rosa , Forkbeard , golgarigirl , Sparky41 , Lindough , Antiat , Dr_Jay , Dawnsly|
|Want (2)||xpsychovampx , Spinalripper|
Chancellor of the Annex Discussion
2 weeks ago
I'm a relatively new cEDH deckbuilder, and my Grand Arbiter Augustin IV list is my first attempt at a build that can play with the big boys =P. Started brewing to compete in sanctioned at my LGS, and eventually take it to side events during prix and SCG events. I'm not trying to necessarily maximize variance to ensure optimal consistency of wins.... I'm trying to maximize wins in an "archenemy" EDH setting, where I'll have the highest chance of still claiming victory in spite of 3 players ready to hate me off the table right after the general flip ( In my LGS scene, general rule of thumb is throw as much hate my way as possible). This is why I opt to play Augustin with a hard stax/prison shell, with light combo, as opposed to a more reactive control focus found in French.
1) Which card would you personally switch on the main with Trinisphere ? I rather enjoy my Sword of Feast and Famine in Augustin, was considering dropped Faith's Reward and relying solely on Teferi's Protection, though with the frequency of wipes, and with the often 2-card Felidar Sovereign combo, I've been torn. I do feel at this point Trinisphere needs to make an appearance to make it a truly degenerate competitive deck.
2) I've been trying to drop my average CMC a pinch more (I still don't know if 2.38, or 2.27 with considerations for Force of Will / Mental Misstep / Chancellor of the Annex is considered competitive enough).... is Aetherflux Reservoir best left to kitchen table, or can it be a strong competitive alt-wincon? It feels a little more storm-ish to me, and Stony Silence / Null Rod already put me in trouble.... it seems like I would make them into a silver bullet even more
3) Gemstone Caverns & Chancellor of the Annex are staying in the build 100% (I'm willing to take the ever-slight consistency hit to enable straight blowout games, and it was already hard enough finally dropping Leyline of Anticipation =P),Darksteel Citadel I understand the pros/cons, but enjoy the land destruction asymmetry / early metalcraft... I find turn 1-2 Augustin enabled by it, and creating early mana asymmetry, usually play to my favor more than the inclusion of a colorless screws my opening hand. Thinking at this point Halimar Depths needs to go, however.
4) Any cards that you feel the deck absolutely needs, aren't exorbitant (I'm not about to pick up a Tabernacle anytime soon), and I'm a fool for not running?
Thank you for your time.
Commander / EDH*
SCORE: 2 | 5 COMMENTS | 194 VIEWS | IN 1 FOLDER
3 weeks ago
If you want to build an army of tokens with +1/+1 counters, Cathars' Crusade and Archangel of Thune are must-haves, and also boosts Teysa for unblockable commander damage. Cards like Auriok Champion and Soul Warden are really good with a token strategy and a life gain strategy. Crested Sunmare should give you lots of indestructible horses if you can protect it.
You have a very good list of token-making sorceries in your maybeboard. You could try including the ones that aren't also boardwipes. Anointed Procession gives you double the tokens. Skullclamp is a good way to draw cards from those creatures. Elspeth, Sun's Champion, Austere Command, and Hour of Reckoning become good boardwipes that spare your creatures.
Luminarch Ascension is quite reliable with Teysa's deterrence.
Archetype of Courage, Archetype of Finality, Athreos, God of Passage, Chancellor of the Annex,Deathpact Angel, Orzhov Advokist, Ravos, Soultender are creatures that don't contribute that much. You could also cut Bontu's Monument, Cradle of Vitality, Gonti's Machinations, Phyrexian Reclamation, Tainted Remedy, and Death Grasp.
1 month ago
Hey, I've never piloted a Kaalia deck, I have only played against her and from my experience, she gets the attention on the table most of the times and for good reason. People really know Kaalia. So I think that playing her has some key elements that could be improved.
Get her out fast fast fast.
In order to do that I'd replace these with basics and boost your speed since you're playing all those fetchlands.
- Akoum Refuge: ETB tapped, no good here.
- Vivid Meadow, Forgotten Cave, Boros Garrison, Orzhov Basilica, Rakdos Carnarium: See above.
- Molten Slagheap: Too slow.
- Transguild Promenade: Just plain awful. Don't let this one fool you with it's "mana of any color", it's still awful.
- Opal Palace: You don't need the color fixing and the bonus counter won't do much difference as Kaalia's blows are not what you're aiming here.
Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth needs it's best friend Cabal Coffers, otherwise a fetchable basic swamp will do fine. Or maybe a dual one like Canyon Slough or Smoldering Marsh, which sometimes enter untappped.
Land Tax when you replace all the above for basics.
- Talisman of Indulgence or Fellwar Stone, mana rocks for
Kaalia has been around long time so people know how dangerous she can be.
- Darksteel Plate could be useful, specially against wraths but it doesn't do much against bouncing or exiling, which is why Whispersilk Cloak could be a better alternative, and can help you avoid combat damage as well.
- Mother of Runes will give her protection in response to whatever spot removal targetting her.
- Grand Abolisher helps you avoid getting Kaalia countered.
If Kaalia has died several times, what now.
As you probably know, she will get focused and sometimes you just can't protect her enough. You need alternatives when this happens.
- Karmic Guide can reanimate anything and it's an angel. Works well with Reya Dawnbringer.
- Sneak Attack is expensive but great, consider it. If not, Quicksilver Amulet is good too.
- Phyrexian Reclamation works awesome with the card above.
- Chancellor of the Annex could be given a try to slow down your opponents while you cast your big creatures. Also, if it's on your initial hand, bye-bye turn 1 Sol Rings.
Other things I noticed
- You lack card drawing. It's essential to have angels / demons / dragons on your hand on each of your attack phases. Phyrexian Arena and Necropotence. Watch out for Emrakuls on your meta with the latter. Some wheels could prove useful refilling your hand, though Wheel of Fortune is expensive, Winds of Change, Magus of the Wheel, Wheel of Fate and Dragon Mage are good alternatives.
- On the same issue as above, Sire Of Insanity and Malfegor aren't helping you with that.
- You have access to the best colors for removal. Ditch Soul Snare and Angelic Edict for the more versatile ones Vindicate, Anguished Unmaking or Utter End. Even Chaos Warp is a better alternative than the two I mentioned. Instant speed removal is crucial.
- Same as above with sweepers. Wrath of God, Day of Judgment, Damnation are much better than Armageddon, because as it let's you a great advantage and all it also puts a huge target on your head, because you basically stop them from having fun at all. And in my experience, people tend to remember those who broke their lands, it's just the way it is. You don't need more hate, Kaalia will draw enough herself. On the borderline of this are Cataclysm and Rakdos the Defiler. The other Rakdos, Rakdos, Lord of Riots is a way better alternative. Imagine swinging with Kaalia, on her trigger putting RTR Rakdos, then on your second main you'll be able to cast a creature with it's cost reduced.
- You have 4 instants now (more coming in the future I hope) and 3 creatures with activated abilities requiring mana. Price of Glory punish your for using those. I know it will punish counterspells as well, but there are some alternatives for that that won't draw the hate on your head, as stated above.
- Lastly, I know I insisted a lot on avoid drawin unnecesary hate on you, but Ob Nixilis, Unshackled is another one to give some thought. People really love their ramping and tutoring. Though in this case I'm not saying you should remove him, just re-evaluate his inclusion.
I hope some of this suggestions help in any way.
1 month ago
I think a big problem with control is the multiplayer aspect of EDH. impossible to counter everything from 3 players, and trying makes you the target. I'd go with stax, what GAAIV already does.
Stax: Chancellor of the Annex,Spelltithe Enforcer, Kataki, War's Wage, Overburden, Meekstone, Lodestone Golem, Thalia, Guardian of Thraben, Fatespinner, Windborn Muse, Magus of the Tabernacle, Magus of the Moat, Trinisphere, Suppression Field, Pendrell Mists
Even if you don't go into the stax strategy hardcore, a lot of these might still be useful for you. Good luck!
2 months ago
Maybe you need some removals like Oblivion Ring.
Thalia, Guardian of Thraben and Thorn of Amethyst target you too and you have 16 non-creature spells. I would probably remove 2 x Thorn of Amethyst and 2 x Thalia, Guardian of Thraben. I would replace them with 4 x Chancellor of the Annex.
Selfless Spirit could protect your creatures, you need to protect them.
2 months ago
Your practice hands showed the fundamental weakness of running a high concentration of high CMC bombs. Control generally offsets this by running many bounce spells, counterspells, and other tricks. Rather than fighting for board control, you simply deny the opponent of threats until the late game. I'd consider adding more cards in the vein of Mana Leak, Vapor Snag, and Remand. If you really want it to be more creature focused, GW midrange humans/angels is a possible archetype to look into. Otherwise, you'll have to rely on other means like the walls and taxes you already have. It might be helpful to find cheaper alternatives so that you can start controlling the game earlier than turn 3. For taxes, there's Mausoleum Wanderer, Judge's Familiar, and Thalia, Guardian of Thraben. For defense, there's Fog Bank, Order of the Stars, and Wall of Omens. Some angels that fit a control angle are Archangel of Tithes, Chancellor of the Annex, and Angelic Arbiter. To close out the game, Avacyn, Angel of Hope, Iona, Shield of Emeria, and the Bruna/Gisela meld are common picks. Finally, having some way to restock on life and cards can be very useful and Sphinx's Revelation fills this role nicely.
3 months ago
So why use Eidolon of Rhetoric when Rule of Law is a thing? If nothing else, would you tell me what you think of Chancellor of the Annex in this build? Too high a cost for their ability perhaps or would it be worth it?
3 months ago
Hey, looks like you already got some great advice I'll add just a bit. If you are up against competitive combo decks I think MLD and hate cards are the way to go. Depending on the combos cards like Rule of Law, Aura of Silence, Chancellor of the Annex and Angelic Arbiter are all pretty good. You could also add in Leyline of the Void, Stony Silence, Null Rod, Cursed Totem, Thorn of Amethyst, Damping Matrix, etc etc to hate on specific decks. Anyways, hope that helps!
P.s. Sneak Attack as a back up to Kaalia might not hurt either.