|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Mirrodin Besieged: Phyrexia||Common|
Combos Browse all
Priests of Norn
Creature — Cleric
Infect (This creature deals damage to creatures in the form of -1/-1 counters and to players in the form of poison counters.)
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Priests of Norn Discussion
4 months ago
4 months ago
Thank you MagicalHacker!
I perused the list you linked and have found some goodies that were appealing. To keep the curve tight so I'm dropping a critter or two a turn I've opted for the 3 CMC guys listed unless the effect was too good.
Mentor might make his way in. Shirei is interesting but my creatures lack ETB effects.
Myr Welder: a 1/4 for 3CMC. Offers artifact gy hate and could be quite useful if it stwals the right ability.
Order of Whiteclay: Sun Titan's lil bro. Not as good with vigilance.
Orzhov Advokist: this plays into my anti-power control element. If they keep pumping their best threats then they will stay tapped. Also acts as a deterrent.
Palace Guard: just a decent effect.
Raving Dead: this guy should probably be in the deck. Great with or without evasion. Doran makes him an effective 6/6.
Sanctum Guardian: nice little protection against big splashy spells or critters.
Scholar of Athreos: late game mana sink?
Selvala, Explorer Returned: ramp and card draw on a 2/4. Pretty decent
Standing Troops: bc vigilance with Doran is hilarious
Vampire Envoy: evasive beater with negligent lifegain.
Village Bell-Ringer: gives my guys pseudo vigilance
Yotian Soldier: vigilance beater
7 months ago
Addressing specific things now... I'm focusing on things to think about cutting to make room for lands.
Listing some observations, if I overlooked something this will make it obvious.
- Tutors (besides land tutors): Diabolic Tutor
- Mana Rocks: Gold Myr, Leaden Myr, Alloy Myr, Plague Myr*, Manalith, Sol Ring, Pristine Talisman
- Infect/Poison: Plague Myr, Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon, Priests of Norn, Decimator Web
- Boardwipes: End Hostilities, In Garruk's Wake
*Missed this guy when I made my first post, drat. That's why I did this summation, in case I missed something else.
You have some things that look like they are intended to work together, with limited support to find the pieces (I only saw one tutor). You need to think about if you're serious about keeping all of these. I think they are okay on their own, just not incredible.
- + + : This is a fun set and I'd keep it if it's something you like, but you don't have enough tutors to make it likely you'll ever assemble it. If you're fine with that, great. The individual pieces are not incredible apart but not the worst.
- + : This is a really common combo in mono-black, but again you'll have to luck into it. If you're serious about using it to win you need more tutors. If you just like the cards I don't blame you for running them though.
- Infect stuff besides Skittles; Plague Myr, Priests of Norn, Decimator Web: These aren't likely to kill anyone with poison by themselves. Plague and Priests have little chance of connecting against a strong opponent (you don't have much evasion support since you're not aggro); Decimator will take forever and tons of mana to do it, Priests will probably hardly do anything interesting. There are much stronger alternatives. Skittles is pretty great on his own and can work excellent on offense or defense, so I'd keep him for now.
Now for some less good stuff, specific cards:
- Manalith is the most boring mana rock possible. There are tons of 3-drop mana rocks that are better than Manalith. You want either cheaper than 3 mana, or you want it do more than Manalith does at 3. Off the top of my head, cheapish examples: Commander's Sphere, Darksteel Ingot, Orzhov Cluestone, Orzhov Signet, Mind Stone
- Transgress the Mind and similar single target discard effects are hard to use in multiplayer (though this is one of the better ones if you really like them). It is difficult to know ahead of time which players have hands worth casting these on, and entirely possible you won't do much damage with them. Discard and mill effects also draw tons of aggro from less experienced players. Consider also discard runs in opposition to how your commander works (they can't play spells they're discarding after all) unless you're specifically going after creatures with the discard effects.
- Mind Sludge is similar, only targets one player. If they have a huuuge hand it can do a lot of damage maybe, but then they're probably a blue player late in the game, which means they have Counterspell or something. If they aren't a blue player, they've probably got graveyard shenanigans going on, so this won't hurt them. Syphon Mind is awesome though (mostly for the card draw and maybe priming other players' graveyards for Rise from the Grave etc).
- Reassembling Skeleton is great but he's not really doing his job here. He's a reusable guy to sacrifice! If you just want him as a defender, look up Brood of Cockroaches or Endless Cockroaches who are better at that.
- Unholy Hunger is terrible. You'd be better served by Murder. It's way too expensive for what it does. Actually I'd look for something that is either more thorough or more flexible, like Utter End or Sever the Bloodline.
- Elixir of Immortality never does its intended job in most decks. Unless you honestly think you're going to have a game last so long that you play through your entire deck, don't bother. If you have some group hug deck throwing your deck into your hand, you're going to play one of your combos and win, not fiddle with this. If you're worried about getting milled, chances are it'll end up in your graveyard, not your hand, anyway.
Things to look up!
- Exsanguinate is a popular Orzhov finisher that scales up to the game state. Even if you can't finish everyone off with it, its extremely efficient at funnelling everyone else's resources into you.
- Anything with extort works, I like Blind Obedience in particular. All of your later plays suck players dry slowly.
- Phyrexian Reclamation is cheap, uses your obscene life tank as a fuel, and makes it hard to get rid of your creatures.
That's all I can think of. I hope it is of some use. I don't expect you to cut all of it I just want you thinking. My Orzhov deck is Ayli, Eternal Cleric EDH but it needs some updating on tappedout, if you wanted to see where I got the experience.
8 months ago
Inkmoth Nexus, Might of Old Krosa, Vines of Vastwood, Apostle's Blessing, Triumph of the Hordes, Ichor Rats, Phyrexian Swarmlord, Putrefax (Maybe), Plague Stinger, Whispering Specter, Glistening Oil, Reaper of Sheoldred, Corpse Cur, Priests of Norn, Phyrexian Juggernaut, Trigon of Infestation, Tine Shrike, Fuel for the Cause, Spread the Sickness, Grim Affliction
That's a good start haha
8 months ago
Deck looks pretty good, but here are some recommendations:
Rot Wolf lets you draw cards if they block it.
Corrupted Conscience is purely for multiplayer fun, take their big bomb and make it their worst nightmare!
11 months ago
Toyed around with an extra wincon in the form of Priests of Norn a while ago and the combination of those two is just ridiculously OP :)
1 year ago
I have a similar deck for Modern. I don't know if your enchantments are there to stay in your deck so I can't really say. As is I would say -2 Reaper of the Wilds,-1 Primal Rage, -1 Brave the Sands, +4 Priests of Norn. Thing is Tokens cannot keep up with your attacks and if I would put something in for tokens it would be Illness in the Ranks. Generally we can go more in depth if you want with the deck. Another addition I have in mine is Experiment One. Seriously this is the best deck that can run it.
1 year ago
Want to be extra nasty? Try Priests of Norn.