Artifact Creature — Dragon
( can be paid with either or 2 life)
: Moltensteel Dragon gets +1/+0 until end of turn.
Printings View all
|New Phyrexia (NPH)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Moltensteel Dragon occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%
Moltensteel Dragon Discussion
6 days ago
3 weeks ago
I like the direction this deck is going but I feel that it is slow due to mana issues. It doesnt ramp fast enough causing you to fall behind in mana, by the time you are producing high amounts of mana people will have done a lot more things beforehand. Your land base is perfect, but I feel that you need more land ramp. I would run cards that allow you to play more lands, and spells that let you search for them would be highly beneficial. I also feel some of your dragons are a bit weak in this deck such as Territorial Hellkite , Boneyard Scourge , Ojutai, Soul of Winter , Dragon Broodmother (good card but not really useful in your deck) Moltensteel Dragon, and Backdraft Hellkite (not running enough instants and sorceries to make it useful). Haste givers such as Anger or Dragonlord Kolaghan would really pump up the power level of this deck. here is a link to my ur-dragon deck if you want some ideas. Just ur dragon things
1 month ago
Hey, your Commanders care about two types of creatures, Dragons and Knights. This is the simplest approach to consider is add more Dragons and some Knights? A higher amount of Dragons than Knights seems better with your two Commanders because double strike with Dragons who already fly is more powerful then Knights with flying.
Dragons are high mana cost creatures therefore consider more ramp? More ramp so you can cast Dragons especially Khorvath faster. Sylvia doesn't do much until you have a Dragon on the battlefield which ramp can help with.
You can't play Gruul Locket and Orzhov Locket in a Boros Commander deck. Can only play cards that are red, white or red/white because these are the color identities of your Commanders. Cards with black and green even though they also have red or white aren't legal with Boros.
What's the budget for your deck? Cards $1 or less each to consider adding:
Mana Rocks/Other Ramp
- Boros Signet
- Talisman of Conviction
- Dragon's Hoard
- Seething Song
- Mana Geyser
- Dragonlord's Servant
- Burnished Hart
- Iron Myr
- Gold Myr
Dragons/Cards that support Dragons
- Skyship Stalker
- Dragon Hatchling
- Dragon Egg
- Lathliss, Dragon Queen
- Scourge of Valkas
- Dragon Tempest: haste for Dragons.
- Steel Hellkite
- Moltensteel Dragon
- Sarkhan's Triumph: Dragon tutor.
- Tyrant's Familiar
- Hellkite Charger
- Drakuseth, Maw of Flames
- Sarkhan the Masterless
- Dragon Mantle
Dragons who can pump their own power which is called "firebreathing" are good with double strike.
- Silverblade Paladin: soulbound can change creatures.
- Danitha Capashen, Paragon
- Thalia's Lancers: legendary card tutor.
- Mask of Memory: an equipped creature with double strike who isn't blocked does combat damage twice to an opponent meaning you draw four cards.
- Rogue's Gloves: with flying it's easier to do combat damage.
The nice thing about these equipment is the interaction with double strike. These equipment can also be repeatable draw and if the equipped creature dies, the equipment isn't destroyed, can equip another creature.
I offer more advice. Good luck with your deck.
2 months ago
2 months ago
The card I asked for only had to be an enchantment creature because that's what I asked for. Except for gods, we haven't been creating those in this thread, and it lends itself toward certain synergies, which I was hoping would be accounted for.
also... clearly I don't understand what Linger does. Maybe next time we want to use it, its creator can put in the rules text as part of the card, if we want to bring it back.
Legendary Artifact Creature - Construct
Deathtouch, menace, flash
Sacrifice a creature: you may cast Chucky from your graveyard until end of turn.
"You can't kill him. He'll just keep coming back until we're all dead."
2 / 2
Rumors are flying that Shadowspear comes from Phyrexia or has Phyrexian blood on it. For the next challenge, let's take an artifact from phyrexia or mirrodin and import it to another plane/set. For example, what would a Myr Battlesphere look like if it were utilized during War of the Spark, or if it was entered into the Kaladesh invention fair? What would a Moltensteel Dragon look like on Tarkir? Etc. etc.
4 months ago
Gleeock, I've been looking into that, actually. I have identified 10 cards I can slip in.
I am considering removing the following, for their respective reasons:
- Gauntlet of Power : It costs to much mana and assists my opponents in ramp. I am not looking to build a group hug deck.
- Extraplanar Lens : While there is strong power here, I also feel I have enough solid ramp and cost reduction that I do not need it. I play games and win just fine in tests without having it on the field. There are even times where I find it slows me down because I get greedy and play it too early, removing lands from play. For example, if I have three lands out but exile my only red source, I kind of screw myself over.
- Rimescale Dragon : With Lens out of the deck, I have reason to run Snow-Covered Mountain s. That is to say, I was running SCMs because it puts a soft-lock on my opponent's ability to ramp off my card. If they have normal Mountains, they gain no benefit. They would need specifically a Snow-Covered Mountain. Well, if I am not using snow lands, I don't benefit from Rimescale.
- Glacial Crevasses : Again, no snow lands = no need to run this.
Now only two of these are actually mainboarded; Gauntlet and Lens. I play many games without using these and things work out just fine. So it becomes a matter of what to replace them with.
I'd like to stick to the Dragons if able, only because I'd get the most value out of Lathliss. However, other control-like Enchantments work as well.
The list of Dragons I am looking at currently are the following:
- Hoard-Smelter Dragon : Gives me another control outlet on a Dragon. Similar to Steel Hellkite in that I can remove threats or problematic cards. I can break combo pieces apart or destroy stones to slow opponents down. It also works great to remove Voltron equipment. Without being a tap ability, I can sink an entire turn's worth of mana into it and blow up 2 or 3 artifacts late game.
- Knollspine Dragon : Giant hand replenishment card. There are plenty of times where I swing for 14+ damage. That's 14 cards. The value there is just immense. Possibly even better than Dragon Mage because I don't give my opponent's new cards, too.
- Moonveil Dragon : Functions as another anthem. Lathliss, Dragon Queen and Purphoros, God of the Forge both serve in this capacity. Having a 3rd Dragon might be useful, too.
- Mordant Dragon : A weaker version of Balefire Dragon . I may honestly replace Demanding Dragon . I don't want to give my opponent a choice in the matter. That's what makes Glorybringer and Flameblast Dragon so good - I choose where I want the damage to go.
- Thunder Dragon : Seems like a decent sweeper, but only if the boardstate is light enough. I'm not sure how this would fare in the changing meta. 3 damage probably isn't worth it late game, and early game it'd be too hard to reliably get out. Just posting it here so you know I thought of it.
- Zodiac Dragon : I was considering this only because I find it interesting that it gives me essentially an unkillable Dragon. No matter what the boardstate becomes, I would always have Zodiac and Lathliss I can fall back on. I just find that a bit interesting, but I don't think I should try and force Golgari into mono-red. Though, to be fair, I also have Haven of the Spirit Dragon which returns a Dragon as well as Daretti, Scrap Savant who can return Steel Hellkite and Moltensteel Dragon . So there is precedent for it in this deck.
Additionally, I have identified:
- Price of Glory : Completely shuts down reaction-based decks.
- Citadel of Pain : Forces mana-drain.
- Ashling's Prerogative : Another source of haste. If I choose even, all of my 6-cmc Dragons (Which are most of them) gain haste. Likewise, my tokens (0 cmc) also gain haste. It also gives my Commander haste.
I think I'd rather go with the enchantments I feel that slowing opponents down while I burn them out with passive triggers is a great foundation to rely on as I churn out an army of Dragons. Sort of keeps the pressure off of me to keep going as fast as possible. This way, if I get a hand with 2 or 3 6-cmc Dragons but also a 3-cmc control enchantment, I can keep it knowing I have a soft lock on the game for a few turns.
After I finalize this deck, I plan on building a Prossh, Skyraider of Kher deck, running Korvold, Fae-Cursed King as a "secret Commander". That will be far more of a "regular" EDH deck with interactions, wraths, tutors, land spell cards, etc. :)
4 months ago
Hope you're enjoying the deck! Here's a few suggestions if you want from when I had mine together, tempted to rebuild it:
Mimic Vat is tons of fun in this deck. Outside of your own big creatures, sometimes your opponent self-mills something spicy and you can't resist it...
Aetherflux Reservoir is a staple, but it's pretty hilarious when you can fling Serra Avatar , gain your life back, then one shot someone (or two) with it. (Best case scenario, but Brion Stoutarm gains you life throughout the game.
Sigil of the New Dawn lets you get back those creatures you flung.
Moltensteel Dragon is a cute addition. Pay a bunch of life you gained to pump up its power to finish someone off.
Rite of the Raging Storm gets you elementals to throw every turn. Plus, your opponents get them and can only attack each other with them! Mwahahahahaha
Vandalblast is a staple suggestion is all.
5 months ago
I run this combo in my daretti deck. It can deal with 2 opponents in a turn, or multiples if you have an untap source. Moltensteel Dragon + Soul Conduit + Platinum Angel . Once all three are out on your turn, pay infinite life into moltensteel, don't die because of platinum angel, switch your negative life total with someone who is still positive, then swing with an infinite/4 flyer at someone else. IF you can untap soul conduit you can then pay infinite again to make moltensteel bigger, then switch life totals with someone else. I'm assuming you can make 12 mana in a turn, and your deck can go infinite. Mine doesn't have that capability yet. My only combo is Dualcaster Mage and Twinflame .