|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|New Phyrexia (NPH)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Artifact Creature — Dragon
( can be paid with either or 2 life)
: Moltensteel Dragon gets +1/+0 until end of turn.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (4)||, ZombieFood , gildan_bladeborn , silvereh|
|Want (37)||TheMyrMan , wlbreda , kvfd1719 , o2x7 , Drops , Darkmantledawn , SaltySpecula , Feanoriel , Takyon , Gravius86 , Maelstromface , tomshwag , Clockwork_Control , patric.cox99 , HomieG , sraid , BioTutorBrian , instantBuddha , Vukodlak , Cobthecobbler , vovoomz137 , pphhaazzee , shagreel , Eratosthenes , Sergal , ianare , B0effe , shrimpandwalrus , yamuddah , GS10 , Moonling , AlphaSp , cainanunes , Demonblade52402 , blubrrytoast , GarethGrey , MagnaAura|
Moltensteel Dragon Discussion
1 week ago
++ So you are facing these two decks :
- Scion of the Ur-Dragon ; So this deck has a few ways it can be played :
. ("Casual dragon tribal")
and probably some more janky ways... But I've played against versions that spam out Mana dorks as well for a quick Win with either the "Insta-Gib" or "Hermit" win conditions as well as reanimator. Every version of this deck is comparably slow to the higher end CEDH decks out there. While it may surprise very very rarely with a super early victory they do both have access to Fire Covenant , Toxic Deluge , Red Elemental Blast , Pyroblast , Negate and other counterspells as well as Abrupt Decay and can be packed with artifact and enchantment removal...
- Prossh, Skyraider of Kher ; This deck is mainly focused on Food Chain while General tazri does it way better and faster this deck also plays an assortment of mana dorks to try speed up the process and also has access to the same wipes and control as mentioned above except it doesn't have ... Nothing extra special here though.
Conclusion: Both decks suffer from an early sphere and orb effect Like any other CEDH deck, but these suffer a tad harder as they still need to amass a certain amount of mana to blow out their win conditions compared to the fast decks that run under 2 - 3 mana (like a hermit/hulk deck).
Depending on your meta: if it's more casual The likes of Gaddock Teeg stop most of the late game wipes and the common sphere effects will delay the faster ones so you can aggressively tap their mana under orb effects... If none of the above if accessible you either kept a bad hand and didn't really have a gameplan with your opening hand or they raced out the right things at the right time which happens...
(If both are actively just focusing you because they think it's fun let them collude! Just find Cards that utterly Wreck what they are trying to do and actively search for those in games!!!)
Sanctum Prelate on also works wonders in this matchup as it stops food chain as well as the faster wipes like deluge and covenant...
Also prioritizing hate/Stax that is unaffected during a creature board wipe will genuinely result in a positive outcome for you. While not always Obvious at first some cards just also stop what they want to do in the future like recently I pulled a turn 1 Aven Mindcensor in response to end step fetching shenanigans while hitting a tutor at the same time from someone else... (Good Scoop!)... Grave hate might work for reanimator versions and Rule of law effects stops Prossh from going infinite. Linvala also does wonders if they are on a lot of dorks... Just got to Mulligan far more aggressively... (Down to 4 is possible but 5 is the recommended low!)
(If you come across problem cards feel free to leave them here and we will try and find answers for you!)
2 weeks ago
Explore is a good card for dropping another land card and card draw. Sylvan Caryatid is a great ramp/blocker card to use. Moltensteel Dragon can be a 4 drop if you pay the life. Skyship Stalker is a good actual 4 drop dragon. Hope this works out for you.
1 month ago
Also, Lathliss, Dragon Queen gives you a flood of tokens when mass reanimating your dragons, Dragonlord Kolaghan is a haste outlet on a body that packs a punch, and Moltensteel Dragon can mess up combat math as well as give the occasional kill out of nowhere.
2 months ago
kingquark No problem!
Krosan Grip is great due to the split second clause as it's pretty relevant. Beast Within is generally an amazing card, but because you have access to other colors their are other cards that do it so much better such as Assassin's Trophy, Abrupt Decay, Maelstrom Pulse, and Vindicate.
Another card you can maybe run is Orim's Thunder.
Cards I would consider cutting would be: Shamanic Revelation (Too slow), Woolly Thoctar, Voltaic Brawler, Moltensteel Dragon, Herald of Torment, Bloodbraid Elf, and Accorder Paladin (All of them are a bit underwhleming in terms of value and a bit vanilla).
Some adjustment for budget I would consider are: Iroas, God of Victory, Gisela, Blade of Goldknight , Dauntless Escort, Forgotten Ancient, Shalai, Voice of Plenty, Mirror Entity, Taurean Mauler, Hydra Omnivore (Hidden tech, it also does additional damage to the player you chosen!), Tana, the Bloodsower (Also makes additional tokens due to hitting two players!), Urabrask the Hidden, Gahiji, The Honored One, Hero of Bladehold, and Hanweir Garrison.
Hope that gives an idea that could help!
2 months ago
Haha you're welcome! Honestly I ran your deck through some playtests and really enjoyed it. Really feels more like a dragon tribal deck than my own Ur-dragon tribal deck! If you can, you may want to test some of the following changes:
- (2) Dragon Hatchling
- (4) Furnace Whelp
- (5) Hunted Dragon
- (5) Lightning Shrieker
- (6) Shivan Dragon (though I understand if you leave this in cause its the OG dragon)
- (6) Shockmaw Dragon
- (6) Freejam Regent
- (7) Dream Pillager (Draw is important but I feel that the body is not good enough, especially since it has to connect)
- (8) Bogardan Hellkite (the effect is underwhelming imo, though it does get better with the Conjurer's Closet)
- (Technically 3) Moltensteel Dragon (can be played for cheap and has a free pump your opponents have to play around)
- (4) Thunderbreak Regent (efficient and good ability)
- (5) Hoarding Dragon (one of the few red tutors, if people waste an exile effect on this its fine)
- (5) Thundermaw Hellkite (gives the ability to alpha strike!)
- (5) Stormbreath Dragon (can blast people with big hands)
- (6) Warmonger Hellkite (forces everyone to attack!)
- (6) Flameblast Dragon (lets you burn out utility creatures, blockers, players. Late game it can burn out someone on its own!)
- (7) Spawn of Thraxes (great with the Conjurer's closet, has an even higher ceiling than Bogardan)
- (7) Skyline Despot (Here's your draw! Not sure who's going to attack into the guy with a board full of DRAGONS. Also brings the monarch subgame that promotes combat!)
2 months ago
Added Moltensteel Dragon, but at the cost of a colorless land...
2 months ago
3 months ago
If you're just looking for cards to cut, I'd start with some of the following: