|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Scars of Mirrodin||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon
Legendary Creature — Dragon Skeleton
Infect (This creature deals damage to creatures in the form of -1/-1 counters and to players in the form of poison counters.)
B: Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon gains haste until end of turn.
BB: Regenerate Skithiryx.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon Discussion
2 days ago
@pints34 another user asked a similar question above. I'd replace 4x Septic Rats for 4x Phyrexian Crusader; in my opinion the protection and first strike outweigh the potential -1/-1 in stats when attacking. Some would say Ichor Rats, but I find the guaranteed poison counter upon entering the battlefield too good to pass up (due to proliferate).
As for Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon, replacing a Plague Stinger is probably the safest choice. You could replace a Kulrath Knight since it has the same converted mana cost and wouldn't affect the curve, but it's also one of the keys to locking your opponent out of the game. Ultimately the choice is yours.
@PickleNutz Happy you enjoyed piloting the deck, I find it shines the brightest in multiplayer formats. I want to note that I haven't scrapped or lowered the potency of my U\G infect deck, I simply play other decks against them like D&D: Dragons and Druids & GW Tron: Wrath of the Titans.
4 days ago
So, a while back I had built my first EDH deck around Horobi, Death's Wail.. As I expected, if left alone I could take over the game, but instead I seem to only draw hate.. So now I'm looking to switch Horobi out for something a little less "cute", and hopefully without having to completely change my current list (aside from Horobi-specific tech, of course)..
Here the deck I'm working with..
Commander / EDH
SCORE: 9 | 25 COMMENTS | 3173 VIEWS | IN 5 FOLDERS
Here's the list of potential Mono-Black Commanders that I currently own, and therefore to choose from.. My "Top-3" are listed first, the rest are in no particular order..
- Xiahou Dun, the One-Eyed
- Liliana, Heretical Healer Flip
- Kokusho, the Evening Star
- Erebos, God of the Dead
- Endrek Sahr, Master Breeder
- Hythonia the Cruel
- Visara the Dreadful
- King Macar, the Gold-Cursed
- Kuon, Ogre Ascendant
- Nefarox, Overlord of Grixis
- Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon
The general goal here is to have a definitive Mono-Black deck that can survive at least a moderate amount of hate, and without being too cheesy in the process..
6 days ago
Have you considered Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon as an option?
Or perhaps Conspiracy
1 week ago
Nice deck, +1. You might want to take a look at my my build of the Kaalia deck for some inspiration. Here are just a few things that I noticed (and they assume a large budget, which obviously may not be the case; use your discretion):
(1) If you want Land Destruction, the obvious additions are--in addition to the things you mentioned-- Ajani Vengeant (which can also tap down/ burn a blocker so Kaalia can get through) and Ravages of War, which is Armageddon except ex$pen$ive. (I don't run it)
(2) Your creature suite: I could see some streamlining. The Akromas are somewhat controversial among Kaalia players. A lot of players think (and I agree) at the end of the day they're just dudes. Big dudes, but just dudes. They don't have anything going on besides large bodies; you can do better. Balefire Dragon would be a good start. It can singlehandedly wipe your opponents' boards. Steel Hellkite can do that too, esp. against tokens. Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon can steal wins, especially when equipped with a sword (more on that in a minute). I personally have some additional utility creatures in my deck like Grand Abolisher and Mother of Runes, as well as some cheaper creatures that can be easily cast if Kaalia gets removed so you're at least doing SOMETHING--Baneslayer Angel, Archfiend of Depravity, Stormbreath Dragon, etc. Some people run the former, but most everyone runs a few of the latter.
(3) Equipment: Would strongly recommend adding Stoneforge Mystic and acquiring Sword of Feast and Famine (combo with Hellkite Charger and Aggravated Assault--which you should also consider adding) and Sword of Light and Shadow (recursion, combo.) The Mystic can also fetch up something as simple as Lightning Greaves or Swiftfoot Boots.
(4) Sweepers: Descend Upon the Sinful is cool and on theme, but basically overpriced by 2 mana relative to the effect that you're really using it for--the sweeper effect. This could simply become the much more efficient Day of Judgment (or Toxic Deluge) and you wouldn't notice the missing angle token. I'm not sure you want to be exiling your creature anyway; ideally you'd be peeling fatties out of the graveyard with something like Phyrexian Reclamation (or Volrath's Stronghold, if you can fit it into your budget.) Merciless Eviction can stay because it's very flexible; I don't personally run it, though again I've considered it.
(5) Mana Base: The Karoo lands (i.e. Orzhov Basilica) are cute, but the Shadowmoor/ Eventide filter lands (i.e. Rugged Prairie) are simply better. If you want an essentially no-strings "Sol" land, try Ancient Tomb. I'd also see about throwing in some more fetches; the KTK fetches can still be had relatively cheap. Also, Darksteel Ingot doesn't fit the game plan all that well--ideally you want 4 mana on turn 3, which the Ingot doesn't accomplish. Mind Stone or Talisman of Indulgence are your next best bets. Also look at Expedition Map because it can both fix your mana and tutor for a utility land like Hall of the Bandit Lord.
(6) The rest of the following recommendations are upgrades/things that would supplement what you're already doing and make the deck better overall. Dark Petition has a cool effect, but it still costs 5 mana. Pick up a Vampiric Tutor if you can. Break Through the Ranks could be Sneak Attack. Etc.
Feel free to inquire if you have any more questions.
1 week ago
So I tried this out on paper but I added Mana Crypt, Volrath's Stronghold, Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon and Phyrexian Tower instead which have been useful to me but I might remove the crypt and the dragon and add Bitter Ordeal a shame Blightsteel Colossus isnt useful in this due to high mana cost. However Kamahl, Fist of Krosa is the real deal in this deck try it out :)
1 week ago
Herald of Leshrac is heavy on mana but is some super-secret tech that dunks on midrange and control decks. Grave Titan is also above the curve you were asking for, but it's worth mentioning because of how powerful it is.
The other thing to think about are the larger infect creatures, which are Phyrexian Crusader, Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon, Phyrexian Juggernaut, and Phyrexian Vatmother. You lose the ability to win via normal damage and life loss, but you gain creatures that are really efficient for their mana cost.
Distended Mindbender and Abundant Maw are also reasonable when combined with things like Solemn Simulacrum. Speaking of Eldrazi, don't forget the plethora of colorless creatures that you can jam into your mono-black deck. That includes stuff like Wurmcoil Engine, Duplicant, Grid Monitor, Silent Arbiter, Scuttling Doom Engine, and Steel Hellkite.
1 week ago
You probably know the deck better than I do, but even with the proliferate boost Lux Cannon seems too slow to be effective. Also, without any more infect cards to help it out Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon feels out of place. Those would be my two cuts.
2 weeks ago
@Kevinpetsca, what wackspoetic is saying is that you can tutor and throw Moltensteel Dragon into the grave, pay life to get its power above 10, then tutor and pitch Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon (it still retains the +1/+0 from moltensteel), and ultimately swing for 10 infect and gg