|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Iconic Masters (IMA)||Common|
|Commander Anthology (CM1)||None|
|Eternal Masters (EMA)||Common|
|Commander 2015 (C15)||Common|
|Mirrodin Besieged (MBS)||Common|
|Mirrodin Besieged: Phyrexia (MBP)||Common|
|Duel Decks: Garruk vs. Liliana (DDD)||Common|
|Tenth Edition (10E)||Common|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Horror
When Phyrexian Rager enters the battlefield, you draw a card and you lose 1 life.
Phyrexian Rager Discussion
4 hours ago
Why Borderland Ranger and not Wood Elves ? Same CMC, however the Wood Elves give you land advantage immediately instead of having to wait until next turn to play a land. Though I can see the advantage of the Panharminicon/Conjurer's Closet hitting the Ranger, you're still only able to play one land per turn. Fodder for Delve, then? Consider running Splendid Reclamation , so you delve away instants/sorceries and are able to get all your lands back for all the mana.
Also, considering this is a creature heavy deck and you only run two enchantments, I'd recommend swapping out Commune with the Gods with Once Upon a Time , as you'll have two different targets to choose from with a higher probability of hitting either than only creatures or enchantments (though I understand you'd miss out on the graveyard targets for Delve, so feel free to disregard this option).
I have always loved the Phyrexian Rager mechanic of etb lose life and draw a card, which I can see a great advantage to it with the recurring panharminicon/closet triggers on it and the Zealot; however I'm not super keen on the Elves of Deep Shadow (never really was keen on them, tbh). You could swap them for Deathrite Shaman and provide you with Mana/Life/Damage in a single unit. Sure, it costs exiling cards to be able to use, but a LOT, if not all players that run 2+ colors use fetch lands, it's guaranteed that you'll have hits for it, especially in a 4 player pod. And even if you can't hit lands, you can still deny them creatures for life gain on your part, or deal damage (life loss, which is even better!) while denying Flashback targets.
Oh, you may also want to consider running a Bojuka Bog , in case you're dealing with people who run a lot of graveyard interactions.
Boza on Custom Cube
2 months ago
- blackblade's bite -> this might as well read B:Exile target creature.
- dark draining -> powerful at that mana cost, and any target to boot.
- davriel -> looks to be incredibly weak. It is graveyard hate, but wants to cast non-creature spells with its second ability, but the only thing you want to hate is creatures, since those come back easily...
- defiled anthem -> sure, but this is incredibly hard to actually trigger and will create memory issues.
- duskmantle shade -> shades usually have the black firebreathing effect, eg Liliana's Shade
- eliminate - white has the exact same card, except the lose two life clause. Why?
- festerspawn - better than existing options by a mile. Phyrexian Rager feels shame.
- hired hit - why does this one destroy the creature, while the previous ones exiled it?
- hungering shadow -> ninjutsu and devour is an interesting combo, but this is a very weak card.
- memory -> why do these cost 5 mana? these are so limited in application.
- mind scourer -> this can end games on turn 3.
- Moonglove-Blade Assassin -> a 4/3 for 5 mana with basically super Murder attached to it?
- Ominous Form -> if it wasn't for the OP removal to deal with this, it would be too powerful. It probably still is.
- Pain -> blue and white did not have something similar, so it is not a cycle. This is quite powerful and warps the game around it.
- psionic lashing -> do not do this. suprise "I win" cards are not a good idea. Though, if you target yourself, you kill yourself, which is a different application.
- return journey -> very cool design!
- rotgrub swarm -> 1/1 for 1 mana that you will never play on turn 1. Probably not a good idea.
- rotplague -> too powerful for a one-sided card.
- something wicked -> when would you ever choose the first option on this overcosted Raise Dead ?
- soul pillage -> when would you ever choose the first option on the above when this card exists?
- will rot -> not a black effect.
- zulaport alley-watcher -> where is there a city with alleys on Zendikar?
4 months ago
Hey Relyt144 this deck isn't standard legal, probably belongs in the casual hub.
Hope this helps!
4 months ago
Altoman, your suggestions are valid and I appreciate them, but I believe you're not seeing a couple aspects of the deck I would like to discuss with you.
First this is not intended to be a Turbo/all in version but rather a more resilient/slow version than typical RB strategies. Hence the lack of Dragon Breath, Stinkweed could join the list though, since it's still a nice recurrable blocker with enough power to fuel your gy all by himself (actually with a little help from symmetrical discard).
Putrid imp doesn't seem powerful nor resilient and depending on threshold is tricky. I'd rather play Vampire Hounds if I wanted something like that.
Predatory nightstalker is mainly there as an edict effect on a body, which can counter exhume's downside by himself. But I do believe 4 might be too many, and I probably can cut at least two of them. I consider him to be something like Phyrexian Rager or Chittering Rats , this is to say, a valuable and recurrable effect which happens to have a body which can block or even get some damage through, rather than focusing on his stats.
And finally, of the 14 big guys I'm playing many of them have cycling which is relevant to get them to the gy and get your reanimation spells to your hand. Notice there isn't another way to draw cards on the deck like Night's Whisper . The reason is taking full advantage/value of the cycling package, including Horror of the Broken Lands . So you cycle, get another card, reanimate the guy you cycled and pump HOTBL on an ideal scenario.
8 months ago
Now that I have time
Filigree Familiar Seems off plan. I don't think it does what you think.
Same with Wirewood Savage
Cantrip/Tutor Creatures not in the deck
I particularly Recommend Recruiter since it is an instant win with aluren if you run like 1 more piece.
9 months ago
I would say to look at pauper and copy a few things - An UB control deck is very possible, but you need the right shell. Unearth + Phyrexian Rager , Undying Evil or Abnormal Endurance + Augur of Skulls or Mulldrifter to get ahead on cards.
10 months ago
11 months ago
This is my deck list
If the link didn't work(im new in the site)
love playing with this deck But i feel a big lack of creatures in the early game, and in the late game i Don't have threatening creatures
Right now, I have 6 slots im thinking about changing: Savage Ventmaw for a better dragon that fits well in my deck. Chromatic Lantern Ring of Valkas Filigree Familiar Phyrexian Rager Geist of the Archives if able, i would like to change geist for something with better stats, but also has a somewhat consistent scry abilitie.
If you have any other sugestions other than cretures, feel free to let me know, the deck is open to change
Phyrexian Rager occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.0%