Artifact Creature — Insect
Infect (This creature deals damage to creatures in the form of -1/-1 counters and to players in the form of poison counters.)
When Necropede is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, you may put a -1/-1 counter on target creature.
Printings View all
|Scars of Mirrodin (SOM)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Necropede occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%
1 month ago
Digging the first pass of the deck I would try to go all-in on the infect theme and ditch some of the +1/+1 counter focused cards. Would make the deck feel a lot more consistent in games played.
I also see some cards that give brokkos some form of evasion, its worth noting that brokkos already has a pseudo-evasion like effect by naturally having trample, which deters people from blocking anyways, I feel that the additional evasion effects via creatures to mutate onto seems a bit extra.
I reccomend removing these:
- Merfolk Skydiver - +1/+1 theme, its nice for a 5 mana proliferation sink but I feel its too clunky
- Pollenbright Druid - A one time proliferate is likely too cute for this deck
- Polukranos, Unchained - +1/+1 counter themed, I see the argument for mutating onto a huge creature with +1/+1 counters, but polukranos also shrinks really quickly
- Elusive Tormentor Flip is a nice unblockable threat, but we're winning by going to bash town with infect damage, rather than an unblockable 6/7
- Silhana Ledgewalker Another pseudo-unblockable threat.
- Toothy, Imaginary Friend I likely would only play this card with Pir, Imaginative Rascal, seems very off theme from what you're trying to do aside from giving itself counters.
- Yeva, Nature's Herald This card only gives your green creatures flash, I dont think its really worth it... otherwise I would be super on board
- Blighted Agent is a human and you cannot mutate onto it. I'm not sure if you want to keep it in the deck as an extra infect threat, or go all in on the mutate plan.
- Relic Putrescence feels way too narrow just for giving its controller a single poison counter
- Simic Ascendancy Is a +1/+1 card that I dont see as a viable backup plan
- Leyline of Anticipation It's nice casting things at instant speed but that isnt really the theme of the deck, if folks have instant speed removal they will likely use it anyways and this wont get you many bonus points
- Golgari Charm What is this for? Removing 1/1s? Brokkos has trample and your infect creatures might have 1 toughness... regenerating brokkos? Just mutate again..
Cards I would consider adding:
- Rot Wolf
- Whispering Specter
- Plague Myr
- Blackcleave Goblin
- Triumph of the Hordes
- Blackblade Reforged
Since you're looking for more Destroy effects, Card draw effects, and counter effects, consider the following:
- Beast Within
- Vines of Vastwood
- Deadly Rollick
- Phyrexian Arena
- Painful Truths
- Arcane Denial
- Curtains' Call
There are a few different land ramp spells I may play, but those are likely out of budget. For the remainder of the cuts I reccomend taking out the worst infect creatures, and possibly some of your land ramp spells
3 months ago
As an example, the rulings section on Necropede (on Gatherer) explicitly notes "Damage from a source with infect affects planeswalkers normally."
5 months ago
A friend of mine has done quite well using these in combo with Brudiclad, Telchor Engineer + Mimic Vat : Necropede , Phyrexian Juggernaut , Plague Myr , Phyrexian Digester , Ichorclaw Myr , Corpse Cur , Blightsteel Colossus -has yet to get the last one though.
6 months ago
OptimalGreen: Not beyond "I attack, they usually block because of the infect, it dies and places another counter" -- ie, 2 snakes. I've been trying to put more -1 counter sources in here, but Necropede is coming back out again for Noxious Revival . It was a bad swap.
...Also, I ended up going with Spidersilk Armor after a bit of testing. We'll see if we go back.
6 months ago
Is there some kind of combo with Necropede that I'm missing?
8 months ago
Continued from previously..
- Drop Necropede and add Solemn Simulacrum - land filtering, card draw, & chump blocker for a CMC of 4!
- Drop Star Compass - this is a slower, less useful Sol Ring (which you already have).
- Add Black Sun's Zenith - this can be a very budget friendly sweeper.
- I'm not sure how expensive is too expensive for your tastes, but you need more tutors. Demonic Tutor && Cruel Tutor are options on the cheaper side (as far as useful tutors go).
- Not budget, but certainly half the price of the previous suggestions... add Necropotence if you can. You have 40 life, use that as a resource. With the help of Reliquary Tower (which you should add regardless) you can old on to great cards.
9 months ago
Maybe run Necropede instead, would help you clear out troublesome creatures if you can't go off.
Epochrasite is also an option, it's very slow, but it gives you an angle for a fair win of you're disrupted halfway through your combo for some reason.
10 months ago
PHATJER, a shame your playgroup doesn't like Stax :( If anything, this deck relies more on soft locks - nothing like Winter Orb , Static Orb , or Sphere of Resistance ...but I digress. So to make sure we're on the same page, the Stax elements of the deck are 7 cards, specifically:
- Tangle Wire
- Parallax Tide
- Parallax Wave
- Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
- Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur
- Sheoldred, Whispering One
- Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger
We cut all the Praetors and the Artifact/Enchantments that synergize with proliferation triggers, what does that leave? Well that opens up slots to dive deeper into the remaining themes of the deck: proliferate, -1/-1 counters, +1/+1 counters, and infect. I'd recommend building out into all three, while still maintaining that sweet sweet vorthos - of course i'm going to suggest Yawgmoth, Thran Physician . To accompany him, the following infect creatures need to be added as well: Necropede , Corpse Cur and Core Prowler to gain more value for Yawgmoth's " Pay 1 life, Sacrifice another creature: Put a -1/-1 counter on up to one target creature and draw a card."
So now, that leaves us with 3 slots left. What should we fill those slots with? If you're going for flavor over function there's the very fun Fuel for the Cause . Then you could toss in an additional bomb in the form of Cathars' Crusade . Last, but definitely not least i'd probably toss in Beast Within for a bit more interaction, which never hurts. What's best about the previously mentioned is that it has a New Phyrexia printing which keeps things on flavor. So a quick recap of my suggested replacements:
- Yawgmoth, Thran Physician
- Corpse Cur
- Core Prowler
- Fuel for the Cause
- Cathars' Crusade
- Beast Within
Alternatively, you could opt for creatures that have more synergy with Yawgmoth, pretty much anything in the archetype of Reassembling Skeleton . That's pretty much all the ideas I could come up with off the top of my head. What do you think? Also, thanks for the +1.