|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Eldritch Moon (EMN)||Common|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Human Druid
When Primal Druid dies, you may search your library for a basic land card, put it onto the battlefield taped, then shuffle your library.
Primal Druid Discussion
1 week ago
Hi, nice deck! By the way, not to be mean or anything, but this seems grabbed straight out from EDHREC, but you can easily fix it up. I enforce the comment from ZendikariWol (he helped me out with They See Me Diggin', They Hatin', my meren deck, sometime ago), in that you need to cut those things which don't really help you winning, but instead make you just "win more". I would consider trying to run more creatures, as you can recycle them any time you need them for their effects. Apart from the cards you already got suggested to add, which I suggest too, I'd also consider:
- Ashnod's Altar is a really explosive must include card. Free sac outlet.
- Skullwinder is super strong. can be used oplitically, but more importantly lets you buy back those noncreature cards that happen to have hit your graveyard. Plus, it's a 1/3 deathtouch.
- Nyx Weaver is the same as the above, but can only be used once. But if it rebuys you the spell that makes you win the game, it suddenly becomes so powerful...
- Mind Slash is a cool sac outlet, that lets you get rid of those spells you don't like, and slow your opponents down.
- Avenger of Zendikar as it floods the board and gives you sacrifice targets. It also can pump up those token, but that's far less likely to happen. Still really solid.
- Endrek Sahr, Master Breeder is a cool token generator if you ahve access to free sacrifice outlets, but it's a bit slow.
- Harvester of Souls draws lots of cards. The potential of decking yourself is not that much of a problem, considering that you may draw a card, but are not obliged to.
- From Beyond is a cool little token/mana generator, that can tutor up Smothering Abomination .
- Izoni, Thousand-Eyed is both a sac outlet, card draw and token generator. Must have.
- Pathbreaker Ibex and Overwhelming Stampede both make up for very powerful win conditions with all of the aforementioned token generation.
- Woodfall Primus has recently gone down in price and it's a nice piece of removal that can be used twice if a sac outlet is provided.
- Primal Druid is a cool dude that can chump-block and will ramp you like crazy if you start chain reanimating it. It's a worse Viridian Emissary , which is again a worse Dave .
2 months ago
Nice write-up! Probably took some good time to type it all down.
I did have to sort your deck on type instead of your custom types to make some sence of it though ;)
I’ve been working on a meren deck with a similar sacrifice idea for a couple of years now, though the plan is a bit different they here I do have some suggestions and tips based on my experience with the archetype.
There are probably some cards here that have been mentioned before or have been tested, so sorry for that.
sac outlets are the bread and butter of these types of deck. You always need one in play or the deck falls short (this is also one of the weak point that you can attack these decks on). Some sac outlets that I haven’t seen mentioned yet:
1) Evolutionary Leap . Except that it’s not a free sac outlet I think one of the best out there!
2) Spawning Pit . One of my favorites, create more tokens from sacing creatures and it’s free to activate. Also it can quite easily go infinite with Doubling Season
3) Attrition . It’s probably mentioned somewhere her and I probably looked over it because everyone knows this.
4) Altar of Dementia . Better in meren then it’s here but still has its uses if you want to go with an infinite combo.
5) Culling Dais . Value
6) Dark Privilege . Protection of commander and outlet in one.
7) Fallen Ideal . Recurring outlet is always nice.
8) Yahenni, Undying Partisan . Indestructible outlet.
9) Helm of Possession . If people are going big.
10) Plagued Rusalka . If people are going wide.
11) Claws of Gix . Can sac any permanent and is the cheapest outlet ever made.
Some utility creatures:
12) Wirewood Herald . This is one of my favorite fun cards in my deck. Your already playing a few good other elves (rec sage, izoni, wood elves, elvish visionary) so I definitely suggest adding this one!
13) Viridian Emissary and Primal Druid are all stars in my deck. Might be useful here over some of the 3 mana ramp creatures?? (Emissary is a bit better because of clamp, and it’s an elf).
14) Golgari Findbroker . Witness #2, also it’s an elf.
15) Sengir Autocrat and Mitotic Slime . These cards give 4 and 7 sacrifices respectively. They are some of the payoff cards that I use. Especially fond of autocrat since it works with savra and skullclamp very well.
16) Reassembling Skeleton . Another one of my payoff cards, and can get nuts of I have a good board. Also there are few ways to go infinite with this one (there is a 4 card combo with this in your deck right now).
17) Savra, Queen of the Golgari . It’s an elf and since it’s a creature its easier to tutor then an enchantment. The life gain is also nice!
And one more random card that doesn’t belong in above categories:
18) Foster . At 4 mana a bit expensive but boy what value this card can give!
Some of the cars you tested and took out I’d like to comment on. I find them very very useful and would probably never cut them in my deck:
19) Fecundity . This card is the best card in my deck, the only time it’s not great is when I’m playing against weenies or people are trading creatures with each other without me having a board presents. I don’t really care if people draw a card if I kill there 6 mana creatures because it still slows them down. What’s so good about this card that It provides us with a great amount of value. This card draws of tokens which is awesome and most of the creatures your running give to sac triggers anyway. In 90% the cases this card will generate more value for us then for other players.
20) Deathreap Ritual . The only reason I’d ever cut this card is the mana cost, which at 4 is a bit expensive. You however stated the reason for excluding this card is the lack of value. I’d like to point out that Morbid doesn’t only trigger at the end of your turn but at the end of EVERY turn. It also triggers when any creature dies, so it doesn’t have to be yours and, like fecundity, it triggers of tokens dying to!! In a four player game this card can give an easy 4 cards a round.
21) Golgari Germination . I like this mostly because I play above mentioned cards which benefit hugely from tokens dying, but even without this it’s a great card rewarding you for any sacrifice and being an enchantment it’s a bit more durable as well.
22) Sakura-Tribe Elder . At two mana and a build in sac outlet this card is a cheap ramp spell that functions at all time and can provide value even if you don’t have a sac outlet in play. But if you have experienced trough testing that you get more value out of a 3 drop ramp creature then it might be different for your deck compared to meren.
Hereby I end my epistle with a last note that if your looking to take out some card I’d look at everything above 4 mana and everything with X in the mana cost. I find I always take out these in the end since I can’t cast them reliably. (5 drops stay when they are very good for the deck though).
3 months ago
Nice deck idea. There is definitely room to lower your average mana costs. I'd recommend some camp cards, like Sakura-Tribe Elder , Primal Druid , Shaman of Forgotten Ways . Also consider Seedborn Muse . You're gonna play creatures anyway, so Beast Whisperer would definitely an option.
3 months ago
I'd recommend some camp cards, like Sakura-Tribe Elder, Primal Druid, Shaman of Forgotten Ways, or at least some mana elves (like Llanowar Elves). Because what is better then play big spells? Yes, play big spells early.
You're gonna play creatures anyway, so some card draw creatures like Beast Whisperer, Grim Haruspex or Midnight Reaper help you to fill your hands after you've played some cards. If you need life, I personally like Dross Harvester - cause if many creatures are attacking then for sure many of them are going to die..
So I like your ideas and the commander is great (maybe one of the best in the set), maybe it could help to look at the average casting costs. Actually they are at 4.29, so there is plenty of room left to go down, cause normally you want to play as many things every turn. So don't waste your first turns. Normally everybody ramps as much as possible to get in a good position, when the big spells and creatures are coming.
3 months ago
With Retreat to Coralhelm in play you could use mana tutoring dorks and make a chain like like Veteran Explorer > Viridian Emissary / Primal Druid > Farhaven Elf / Wood Elves > Wild Wanderer / Solemn Simulacrum > Gobbling Ooze > Ulvenwald Hydra > Protean Hulk. You should have mana left over and a sac outlet to use on the hulk at the end of it. Even if you get fizzled somehow you ramp out a bunch of mana in the process. Imagine it happening with Amulet of Vigor or Lotus Cobra in play too...mmmmm yummy over kill.
Could be an interesting angle to explore for the deck. However it since it requires the enchantment to be in play to function, we need ways to find it. I think the best tutor for it might be Drift of Phantasms... which also conveniently finds Intruder Alarm and Faces of the Past (which probably enables some decent elf/wizard/ooze chains too). Getting the Drift of Phantasms in hand should be easy enough with all the creature tutors available in green. Could be cool, maybe even good ;)
6 months ago
Avacyn, Angel of Hope doesn't seem super on theme or really that useful. I mean, yeah, it's really good. But it's also 8 mana and for 8 mana I feel like you should be winning the game. Not just protecting your 1/1s or whatever you have out.
Pallid Mycoderm, Rot Shambler, Savage Thallid, Sporecrown Thallid, Sporemound, Sporesower Thallid, and Sporoloth Ancient. I think all of them are either overcosted for what they offer, or don't offer enough. I think the best out of these is Sporemound, but I'm not sure it's good enough. You don't really ramp all that hard, and you'll have so many 1/1s anyway that I don't think it'll matter if you get a couple extra. I think these could all be replaced by more 'value' oriented cards.
Verdant Force is simply overcosted. Remove.
Trostani, Selesnya's Voice is out of place. Populating a 1/1 for 3 mana and a tap is a bad feeling, and gaining 1 life from each is trivial and could be done with Suture Priest or any soul sister (and better too). Also Trostani's mana cost is steeper than it seems (from experience).
Fungal Plots is just kinda weak. I'm super against self-gy hate, and this is no exception. You're paying 4 mana and a card for a 1/1, and then you can maybe sac 2 more creatures for some life and a draw. There are much better options for card advantage AND tokens (I'll get into it later).
Intangible Virtue is out of place. An army of 2/2 vigilance's isn't amazing, especially because your saprolings WANT to die (to slimefoot and Blood Artist and others), so tapping to attack isn't an issue. You already have other, better, team buffs so I don't really think this fits.
Night Soil is just kinda meh. It's a tougher restriction than it seems (both from the same yard).
Along with this, I don't like Necrogenesis in general, but at least it gy-hates opponents and is something you can do if you have mana left up. An early cut if you still wanna cut some stuff, but fine to leave.
Primal Vigor can backfire hard. I don't think it's worth tbh. Also the mana cost is steep for something that doesn't do anything by itself.
True Conviction is just super out of place, and that mana cost is super rough. Absolutely cut. If you were gonna have a mana cost with WWW, it's gonna be Avacyn (but it's gonna be neither).
Verdant Embrace is just too costly for what it does and what you need. If it was like 3 mana and didn't give the +3/+3, that would work, but as is it's too costly and you'll almost certainly not get a lot of value from it because people will murder the creature it's on immediately.
Honestly, I've never liked Second Harvest. It's a terrible card if you're losing and if you cast it and win, you probably would've already won anyway. It seems like win-more to me. Most cards that do nothing on their own I think are kinda meh.
I have no idea how to feel about Vona's Hunger. I'd consider removing just because if you're using this to clear a board, they're gonna keep their best shit anyway, and this is pretty trash against other token decks. The mana cost and instant speed is a nice +, but I'm not sure it's enough here.
You have a lot of lands. I like running fewer lands (35) but having about ~10 sources of ramp. I'll try to figure some out as we progress.
Fungal Sprouting does nothing on it's own and I am having a tough time envisioning it being really useful. Getting 5 1/1s is great for Ghave, but for 4 mana and sorcery speed, I feel you could be doing more. It's fine for now, but consider it an early cut if needed.
Glare of Subdual. This is a tough one. On the one hand, tapping down the voltron player (Seth's cats or my dragons or Zac's Tuvasa) is super dope. On the other hand, tapping is not removal and it relies on you having a creature to spare to tap. It's also 4 mana. I'd probably remove. If it was 1WG, I'd think it was good.
I strongly recommend not having more than 8 enchantments. You have 16 right now and that's just too many without some heavy enchantment recursion.
Okay. We got through it boys. Let's go to our suggestions and recommendations. This next section will include cards in your maybe board that I think are good and should go to mainboard.
Anafenza, the Foremost, because who doesn't like incidental GY hate on an aggressively costed body. 3 mana for a 4/4 that GY hates is something that your opponents need to answer, and more often than not their removal will be worth more to them than Anafenza is worth to you.
Elenda, the Dusk Rose is a card I've always wanted to work and this might be it. Being able to sac a huge board and then herself seems like great value. The issue with Elenda is that she can be exiled, but your commander is a sac outlet which protects against that. I think she could be a powerhouse in this deck ESPECIALLY because her tokens have lifelink. Never underestimate lifelink on tokens.
Juniper Order Ranger is just gravy. 5 mana for a boi that gets progressively larger and boosts your board is something that needs to be answered to. This will either force a boardwipe or spot removal and honestly either a win for you.
Shalai, Voice of Plenty is good. Really good. I don't think it's bad to put it in this deck.
Retribution of the Ancients is super interesting and could be a powerhouse. I'm inclined to include it as instant speed removal that works on indestructible things at a minimum cost to yourself seems very good. Sure, you'll be using 3-5 counters each time, but ideally that won't be an issue since. Also it's at a mana cost price you just can't do better than.
Everything from maybeboard I didn't mention is a no.
End of Maybeboard Recommendations
Uhh, where's my babe Elspeth, Sun's Champion at?? 6 mana for either a conditional boardwipe that won't hit you that often, or for 3 token bois seems like a good deal. And if you manage to ult, you win. No one can stop a flying army of 3/3s.
Eldrazi Monument. We already talked about it but just wanna have it written down here.
Pir, Imaginative Rascal. Fucking gravy. Works with Ghave super well but also Elspeth and also your dudes who put spore counters on themselves. This is a must include. I'm kind of surprised he wasn't already in the list tbh.
Fecundity can be absolutely nutty. Sure, it helps your opponents, but it is very unlikely it'll help them more than it helps you. Also a may trigger so it won't hurt you if you don't want it to.
Dark Prophecy is also insane, tho the self damage could become hazardous. I'll recommend some things to combat this as the card is a powerhouse, even with the BBB mana cost. Remember, being at 5 life and winning is the same as being at 40 life and winning.
Loyal Guardian is a new card which could do work. Early cut, but I'll put it here if you need to fill out your creatures.
Heroic Intervention is the single best protection spell in green. It's basically a green Teferi's Protection for your turn and it cannot be overstated how good it is at the right time. It is the difference between "I win next turn" and "Man nice boardwipe, GG." And for 2 mana too. It's bonkers. Must include.
Cryptolith Rite is disgusting. You've played slivers so you know how good Gemhide is. This is too. I think this is a must.
Zulaport Cutthroat is nice redundancy for your combo win and also nice incidental lifegain (which helps counteract Dark Prophecy's life cost).
Forgotten Ancient is bonkers. Will always become a threat and require removal. It's just good.
Hangarback Walker is solid. Dump whatever mana you have into it, gives you something to do EoT, and you'll almost always get the death trigger since your commander is a sac outlet.
Scavenging Ooze. Graveyard hate is good, and incidental synergy with counter is even better. Just a super efficient card and usually comes something that needs to be removed sooner rather than later. Using the ability as an instant in response to a 'return from graveyard' spell is a joy.
Abzan Charm is good at any point of the game. Removal, counters, card advantage. Maybe the best charm out of all of them. Cannot be overstated. This is a must include.
You have no boardwipes. What the hell. You need at least 4 in almost every deck, but you will be fine with 3 here since you have Elspeth and Dictate of Erebos. I recommend Day of Judgment, Merciless Eviction (best boardwipe ever printed ever), Austere Command (wipe everything but your 0 CMC tokens and you'll usually open a board up for swings) and Living Death. More on Living Death below.
Living Death is a pet card of mine. Mostly because of how bonkers it is. 5 mana for a boardwipe that makes everyone sac their hexproof/indestructible creatures, and then get's you everything you need back. Ideally you'll have something like Aura Shards or Dictate out as you cast this to thin your opponents board afterwards. Also, with Anafenza, Necrogenesis, Scavenging Ooze and Bojuka Bog, you should be getting more value back than anyone else consistently.
Dread Return is good. 4 mana to bring something back is the going rate and saccing 3 creatures to bring something back is double upside since more often than not saccing creatures is good. With Blood Artist that gains you 3 life and someone loses 3, with Fecundity or Dark Prophecy, you just drew 3 cards for FREE. Stupid.
Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite is always always always a powerhouse. Clears the board and puts you absurdly far ahead in terms of board presence. If you have the money, put it in.
I know you're not huge on tutors, but Razaketh, the Foulblooded and Sidisi, Undead Vizier are good. Can help find answers or just combo pieces to close out a long game. If you only want one, put Razaketh because at the end of the day, an 8/8 flample for 8 is good.
Carrion Feeder is good because instant speed sac outlets with incidental counter value is good. Sac a creature, get a counter, remove counter to get another creature is good. Essentially, with Fecundity/Dark Prophecy, Ghave, and Carrion Feeder out, they read "Pay 1 mana, draw a card" and that's good. Add in Blood Artist and it's even better, and add in Pir and Ashnod's and you win. 5/6 card combos are still combos. Also Carrion is a 1 mana sac outlet and that's really good.
Requiem Angel is a card I've always wanted to use but never found the place. This might be it, chief. Essentially doubling your token count for ability activations and sac triggers, plus turns your measly 1/1 saps into 1/1 fliers, which is a huge boost.
I'd remove Aura Mutation and replace it with both Putrefy and Mortify. The reason is that I often find myself holding onto Aura Mutation hoping to get good value from it, but oftentimes I should just use it on a 2 drop enchantment like Cryptolith Rite or something. Mortify and Putrify also double as modal cards, making them never a dead card if you draw them.
You need more ramp. There is no way around it. But you need more. Cultivate, Kodamas, Nature's Lore, Farseek, etc etc. No mana rocks besides Sol Ring. You're green, use it. You could also run things like Primal Druid that give value when they die, since this is a sacrifice deck. I'd scryfall "dies/enter search library land battlefield" and choose your favorite.
Mindless Automaton just seems fun. Depending on how easy it is to put counters on stuff, this may work. Early cut for sure.
Thats all I got for now. I'll comment again if I think of more.
8 months ago
I think Storm the Vault is very much a ramp card--both front and back.
11 months ago
So 1) I have to give props to a good ol' queen reference. 2) your deck is markedly more tier than mine so I won't drop the list, there are a few cards in it you could use. Viridian Emissary is great ramp, Primal Druid isn't bad. Lifecrafter's Bestiary is freaking amazing. Treasure Keeper is, at very least, worth considering. Merciless Executioner is pretty goo. Body Snatcher would support the reanimation subtheme. Solemn Simulacrum is legendary, and Noxious Gearhulk is great late-game removals. Gotta come back from those Dark Confidant uses somehow. Thragtusk is pretty gold and Wurmcoil Engine is also quite fantastic. Fauna Shaman is a necessity and Strionic Resonator is pretty great.
No data for this card yet.