Creature — Carrier
As Plague Engineer enters the battlefield, choose a creature type.
Creatures of the chosen type your opponents control get -1/-1,
Printings View all
|Modern Horizons (MH1)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Plague Engineer Discussion
2 days ago
2-2 na Versus dia 14/1/20:
0-1 Fractius (1-2): Nunca tinha jogado contra o deck, não sabia bem o que ele fazia. O deck tem muitos lords, e aparentemente a ideia é colocar um ou dois deles em campo, algum tipo de evasão (voar foi o que me matou) e ganhar dessa forma. No jogo 1 eu fui trocando pontos de vida, e consegui achar uma linha de vitória no último turno com Scryb Ranger, permitindo que eu ativasse a atacasse com KotR no mesmo turno; quase errei sacrificando uma floresta e não tendo outra para ativar a fada, mas deu no limite. O jogo foi curto mesmo com o oponente mulligando para 4.
Nos outros dois jogos fui com mãos péssimas e apanhei. Em uma delas fui só com um terreno e um dork, não comprei o segundo e não fiz quase nada. Na outra tinha Canopy e Ancient Tomb, e contra um deck aggro você não quer causar dano a si mesmo e ajudá-lo a ganhar a partida. Dava para ter ganhado jogando melhorzinho.
1-1 Izzet Delver (2-0): Finalmente venci Delver uma vez na vida! Não fiz nada de errado, mas dei sorte porque o oponente comprou mal nas duas partidas. G2 Thalia + Wasteland salvaram.
1-2 Pox (0-2): Perdi de Pox depois de duas vitórias seguidas contra o deck. Jogo 1 tive pouco para fazer. Tomei IoK e Hymn no turno 1, perdi dois terrenos e não fiz nada. Mulliguei uma mão com 6 terrenos e uma criatura que talvez desse para jogar.
Pox exige algumas disciplinas para vencer: não jogar criatura de custo 1 solitárias no campo, buscar básicas, deixar uma fetch aberta para buscar Dryad Arbor e fugir de um édito. Após o terror dos primeiros turnos, alguns dos seus topdecks são mais impactantes.
O jogo dois foi mais disputado. Consegui tirar uma de cada Liliana do campo, e fiquei sofrendo para conseguir 3 manas para castar minhas criaturas. Quando consegui, por um turno, baixei um Sanctum Prelate e escolhi 2, quando deveria ter escolhido 3 para travar os planeswalkers. Ele desceu Ashiok, exilou meu cemitério, nerfou meu KotR e eu perdi para um Massacre . Jogo difícil.
2-2 D&T (2-0): Última partida contra o Xu, e tive mais sorte que ele. Jogo 1 KotR ganhou sozinho, e ele não comprou nenhum removal. Ficamos indo e voltando num board state complexo, em que ele tinha Batterskull e Stoneforge Mystic , podendo devolvê-lo para mão e castá-lo em instant speed. Tive a chance de destruí-lo, mas preferi destruir um Vial, e o jogo demorou mais por causa disso. Um Jitte ativo praticamente invalida um Vial, porque é fácil matar as criaturas pequenas que entram no campo.
Jogo dois ele comprou muito mal, eu fui descendo criaturas, e quando o Jitte conectou a primeira vez ele concedeu.
Tenho dúvida em 4 slots no deck, ainda: desta vez joguei com Noble Hierarch #4, Thalia Gorda, Knight of Autumn e Maze of Ith, mas tenho dúvida entre essas cartas, Collector Ouphe, Garruk Relentless, Palace Jailer, Ramunap Excavator, Tireless Tracker, outra Floresta e até Aven Mindcensor . Ou quem sabe splashar preto e jogar com 2 Abrupt Decay e 2 Plague Engineer . Não sei se vou jogar na outra terça, mas vou pedir ajuda para a galera para decidir qual deck usar no 1k.
6 days ago
Do you guys even play in competitive pods? Stax is a very easy match up for flash hulk players. Just hold removal before you combo if one of the 6 pieces that shuts you off is actually in play.
With the exception of stax pieces that shut off the flash hulk combo, almost every other stax piece actually helps the flash hulk player, because it lowers interaction from other players and allows them to combo in peace. Yes, the stax will hurt the flash hulk player, but its hurting the other players even more. You're creating an advantage for them by deficit, because the deficit is bigger for other players.
- Rule of Law and variants don't hamper the finding or executing of flash hulk
- Sphere of Resistance , Trinisphere , Winter Orb , Static Orb , and similar lower the amount of interaction other players are able to meaningfully hold against the flash hulk. Flash hulk must only assemble 2 mana to execute the combo, so even with tax or slow down pieces it doesn't take long for them to assemble the mana, even under Trinisphere
- Creature wipes or other board wipes don't really slow the flash hulk game plan, unless your wipe is at instant speed. The new fish hulk allows players to hold priority and fully execute the library flip into GY and stack the trigger before passing priority, negating instant speed wipes as a method for interacting
- Grave hate pieces are now irrelevant unless they stop the death trigger, as fish hulk can execute without reliance on GY
- Artifact hate like Stony Silence hits back up lines or fast mana for flash hulk, but doesn't stop the actual hulk
- Handstax are too slow unless you get a great play like Entomb into Reanimate on a Sire Of Insanity . Incremental handstax like Oppression or Necrogen Mists are certainly strong, but don't dump player hands fast enough to fully stop the flash hulk, but they do whittle away interaction from opponents trying to stop flash hulk
There's only a small handful of cards that stop the flash hulk combo outside of counterspells. We're looking at Pithing Needle Phyrexian Revoker or Sorcerous Spyglass naming Nomads en-Kor . There is also tutor hate with Aven Mindcensor or Stranglehold (and Leonin Arbiter , but thats just a delay, not a hard stop). Finally, you have big creature hate effects like Cursed Totem , Linvala, Keeper of Silence , or Suppression Field . Finally, you have creature hate that removes small dorks, like Plague Engineer , Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite , or Night of Souls' Betrayal
Not all of those pieces are good enough to warrant slotting. Also slotting all of these pieces would lower your card quality significantly, which causes more losses against all decks that AREN'T running hulk (read: the two other players in the pod)
Part of the reason why its such a big slice of the meta and pretty much the deck to beat is because it is highly efficient, there is strong layering, it plays around stax, and the color identity gives it access to big draw engines, the most efficient tutors, and the most efficient removal.
So you land your Linvala against the T&T fishhulk player. All they have to do is continue to draw cards or tutor up a Path to Exile or any other piece of removal before jamming their combo.
Even if you decide to run Extract and pull the hulk from their deck, the deck isn't dead. You can Thrasios + infinite mana (dramatic scepter most likely) as a win-con. You get labman + consult as a wincon. The deck has very good layering. Even when you shut down the primary goal, it has still been advancing towards the second combo too. The Sylvan Library that was played turn 1 is now digging for consult pieces instead of hulk pieces. The tutors can be used to find those pieces instead. The best part, is that the stax pieces which shut off hulk combo don't shut off the other combos, which is why those combos in specific are layered underneath the hulk package.
I'm going to level with you Megalomania. You have told me you play flash hulk. Then you suggest the solution to fish hulk is to build a deck that makes it easier for fish hulk in pods. Then you say you have limited experience, but "just build the right archetype bro". So my question now is, are you just an extremely bad player who bought a $4000 deck, or are you an angle shooting dickhead trying to spread bad information to help avoid a ban for your $4000 deck?
Honestly, I kind of expect both sides out of flash hulk players. While I do suspect you're a competent dickhead spreading bad info, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if you're a dummy who looked up the most popular tier 1 deck and bought it. Either way, I really need you to stop spreading your garbage information by posting. There are already enough bad players on tappedout, we really don't need any more help in that department.
StopShot The effects from Faerie Macabre and Ghost-Lit Raider are activated abilities from a creature, and are thus turned off from Grand Abolisher . Similarly, Simian Spirit Guide is shut off as well. Similarly, Linvala and Cursed Totem also turn off all three of these creature abilities.
Besides that, you do state succinctly why hulk should be banned over flash in response to the article. I agree. Hulk being legal forces specific and jank deckbuilding requirements.
1 month ago
Thanks for reminding me to put this onto the list, and yes, Plague Engineer is a fantastic card and outstanding sideboard tech depending on the meta.
Cavalier of Night is something I could see for the top end of the curve, it's a fine card and if it works for that is great. The main gameplan for these decks is to play into gary, giving the deck an almost inevitable win-con but if your deck doesn't focus on that and still punches enough then you are fine.
Thanks for the kind works, and good luck on your list. :)
1 month ago
Hi there Sargeras, fellow darkness lover.
firstly congrats on the amazing mono black primer it has been a point of reference for me time and time again. You have clearly put a lot of time into this primer and I can honestly say it is very impressive.
I been looking through your 3 cmc slot and could not find Plague Engineer I feel this card is very strong when used correctly. It can be used as an Illness in the Ranks . it is a death touch body in itself that can go 1 for 1 or equipped with Lashwrithe . it is a tribal hoser giving all -1 -1. you can shut down the opponents Bloodghasts, keeping your bloodghast un-effected. there are heaps of other uses id be willing to discuss. If you could please give me your thoughts on this card, I have found it to be of great versatility in the current modern world.
also I am curious to know your thoughts on Cavalier of Night I am playing my deck with two copies with great results so far. it does need to be played in a control type shell to slow the game down enough and allow it to be the last few cards or plays that tip the scale in your favour. I have never found a situation that it is not good on the offence or defence. would love to hear your thoughts on these two cards from a fellow mono black Counsellor
may the dark arts guide you. -Jaunty-
1 month ago
Dark confidant is not good having 4 creatures with cmc 5 and 4 creatures with cmc 4.
between 10 and 11 fetches is the normal average for 3 color rock decks like jund.
The reason why I don't run a lot of removals is that I need a lot of permanents for devotion. In total i need between 40 and 45 black symbols in my whole deck. Also, this is the reason why I don't add any other creatures (outside of Tarmogoyf that does not have black symbols.
1 month ago
- Jund is amazing in every way except for you wallet. That is the worst part of jund. Discard spells impower your Tarmogoyf so running those is super important. Enough to want more Thoughtseize
- Dark Confidant is really good. It helps fight back the down side of discard cards. would recommand, and its early black devotion. Even when we take 5 on Gary when we cast him we heal so there is up side. Getting closer to our win con is always better. We dont need 20 life to win only 1.
- Scavenging Ooze is pretty powerful, you do have rest in peace in the SB but its still worth considering.
- Plague Engineer can help as well. Id play only one though. I see some decks play Murderous Rider as well as a one of.
- Collective Brutality is a very powerful card. I have been on the receiving end many times and lost because of the value this card gets you.
- I would recommend more removal. Espically at least 1x Abrupt Decay and one more Assassin's Trophy . Id be even more comfortable playing 2 more Fatal Push .
- The Reasons for blue: oko,3/3 elks, oko, and filtering with Snap caster. Unless you fight a lot of burn dont go blue.
- Reasons for red: Bolt is Life (cheap removal), Blood braid value (remember she was banned for some time), and wrenn and six. Jund is much more powerful than this build. That being said its not the archtype, and its wayyyyy more spendy.
- For land you want at least to "horizon lands" such as Nurturing Peatland and fast lands such as Blooming Marsh . Field of Ruin can also really help.
- Kitchen Finks is a great SB card and so is Fulminator Mage . Most play Nihil Spellbomb but you have white so you dont need this. By adding all this removal you wont need Damnation in your SB.
- Not a big fan of Mishra's Bauble or Grim Flayer . 10 Fetches is also a little high i would consider cutting down on those. To 6 or 8.
- You are abzan so i will say Worship is a card Giver of Runes Path to Exile and Angel's Grace are cards. As well as Siege Rhino . White also gets you Vizier of Remedies + Devoted Druid for infinite mana. - Tireless Tracker is also a good card draw engine although its not black.
- Other cards to consider Postmortem Lunge Eladamri's Call Finale of Devastation Sin Collector Eidolon of Rhetoric and Collector Ouphe
1 month ago
2 months ago
META CHANGE / DECK CHANGE
Update at 11/2019