|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander 2016 (C16)||Uncommon|
|Modern Masters 2015 Edition (MM2)||Uncommon|
|Fifth Dawn (5DN)||Common|
Combos Browse all
Artifact — Equipment
Equipped creature gets +1/+0 for each artifact you control.
: Attach Cranial Plating to target creature you control.
Equip (: : Attach to target creature you control. Equip only as a sorcery.)
Cranial Plating Discussion
4 days ago
Equip abilities can only be activated as sorceries (in other words, during your main phase and if the stack is empty), so no. See the reminder text on... Pretty much any equipment that has reminder text. Bone Saw , Shuko , Fleetfeather Sandals , etc. Some equipment like Cranial Plating , however, have additional activated abilities without the sorcery-speed restriction in addition to their equip abilities. Also, if you had a creature like Brass Squire with an instant-speed activated ability, you could pull this off. And of course, Leonin Shikari explicitly gets rid of this restriction.
4 days ago
Love the deck!! Have a Glissa deck myself and think she is an amazing commander!
Just thought I'd give you a heads up on an amazing win-con! You mentioned Wurmcoil Engine + Cranial Plating which is sick!! One I have used countless times in my deck that works incredibly is Cranial Plating + Marionette Master + sac outlet e.g. ( Krark-Clan Ironworks )
Feel free to check out my own Glissa is you want any other ideas :)
1 week ago
My suggestion is very simple. Cranial Plating . It's only $0.35 and does great work.
2 weeks ago
3 weeks ago
Thanks for the information, Infect isn't the primary win condition for Affinity, it's generally an alternative to simply flooding the board with cheap artifact creatures and pumping with Steel Overseer , Arcbound Ravager , or Cranial Plating . However, I removed Blinkmoth Nexus for the sheer fact Inkmoth Nexus presents another win condition, outside of the that traditional aggro beatdown traditionally offered by affinity. this time also isn't a traditional Affinity deck as it goes wide, and mid-range thanks to Tempered Steel and Servo Exhibition . Your feedback is greatly appreciated.
3 weeks ago
3 weeks ago
I run modern affinity and find that you usually want a critical mass of artifacts. Springleaf Drum works wonders with Ornithopter on turn one and Signal Pest can turn attackers rather decently sized very quickly. Vault Skirge and Ensoul Artifact is a nice combo, and with many artifacts Cranial Plating gets out of hand very fast.
3 weeks ago
> weird mashup of ramp into semi-big threats with suboptimal control elements.
That's actually a great definition of what Ponza is all about! I usually describe the deck more like "aggressive ramp into bulk rares that you would never expect could be good in Modern, with an overlay of annoying mana-denial Control", but yours will certainly do. The thing is, it works surprisingly well in many metas.
> besides fetchlands, what activated or triggered abilities are you hoping to stop with Repudiate / Replicate
I actually laid that out in the deck description, but in case you missed it here it is again:
- Opponent transforms a Thing in the Ice? Repudiate the triggered ability and our team stays on the field.
- Opponent wants to make us sac' a creature with Lili, put a Terminus on top with Jace, or ultimate whatever random Planeswalker they have? Repudiate the activated ability and we've totally turned the game around.
- Opponent tries to Modular a ton of +1/+1 counters onto their attacking Inkmoth Nexus, wipe our board with an Oblivion Stone, Equip a Batterskull, Crew a Smuggler's Copter, etc, etc, etc? Repudiate gives us answers (or at least options) we never had in 'normal' Ponza.
Here are more details though, looking at the top meta decks in turn ...
- UR Phoenix: Often game-changing vs. trigger of Awoken Horror . Often good vs. triggers of Snapcaster Mage and Arclight Phoenix .
- Dredge: Often game-changing vs. trigger of Bloodghast and Narcomoeba (if opp has multiple Prized Amalgam in the graveyard) or Prized Amalgam (if there's only one). Often good vs. triggers of Creeping Chill and Stinkweed Imp , and activated ability of Shriekhorn .
- Tron: Often game-changing vs. -X of Ugin, the Spirit Dragon or activated ability of Oblivion Stone . Often good vs. triggers of Wurmcoil Engine , Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger , activated ability of Walking Ballista , Expedition Map , and Relic of Progenitus , and -3 of Karn Liberated .
- Humans: Often game-changing vs. trigger of Kitesail Freebooter , Meddling Mage , Phantasmal Image , and Reflector Mage , and activated ability of Aether Vial . Often good vs. triggers of Champion of the Parish , Noble Hierarch , and Thalia's Lieutenant (plus Anafenza, the Foremost , Deputy of Detention , Kambal, Consul of Allocation , and Sin Collector , if they have them).
- UW Control: Often game-changing vs. actived ability of Celestial Colonnade . Often good vs. +1 (since they're tapped out the next turn) and -3 of Teferi, Hero of Dominaria , and 0 of Jace, the Mind Sculptor (if we think they have a Terminus ).
- Burn: Often good vs. trigger of Monastery Swiftspear and Eidolon of the Great Revel , and activated ability of Grim Lavamancer .
- Hardened Affinity: Often game-changing vs. Modular of Arcbound Ravager and trigger of Hangarback Walker , and activated ability of Inkmoth Nexus . Often good vs. triggered ability of Arcbound Worker , and activated ability of Walking Ballista , Steel Overseer , Welding Jar , Animation Module , Throne of Geth , and Blinkmoth Nexus .
- Grixis Shadow: Meh. Perhaps good vs. trigger of Snapcaster Mage or activated ability of Mishra's Bauble .
- Amulet Titan: Often game-changing vs. trigger of Primeval Titan . Often good vs. trigger of Amulet of Vigor , Trinket Mage and Bojuka Bog , and activated ability of Walking Ballista , Engineered Explosives , Gemstone Mine , Ghost Quarter , Slayers' Stronghold , and Sunhome, Fortress of the Legion .
- RG Rock: Often game-changing vs. +1 and -2 of Liliana of the Veil , +1 and -2 of Liliana, the Last Hope . Often good vs. triggered and activated abilities of Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet , triggered abilites of Tireless Tracker , and activated ability of Scavenging Ooze , Hissing Quagmire , and Treetop Village .
- Whir Prison: Meh. Perhaps good vs. trigger of Bottled Cloister and activated ability of Engineered Explosives , Mishra's Bauble , Tormod's Crypt , Welding Jar , and Inventors' Fair .
- Old-school Affinity: Often game-changing vs. Modular of Arcbound Ravager , Equip of Cranial Plating , and activated ability of Inkmoth Nexus . Often good vs. trigger of Signal Pest and activated ability of Welding Jar and Blinkmoth Nexus .
- Ad Nauseum: Meh. Perhaps good vs. activated ability of Simian Spirit Guide .
- Spirits: Often game-changing vs. trigger of Phantasmal Image , Reflector Mage , and Spell Queller , and activated ability of Mausoleum Wanderer and Aether Vial . Often good vs. trigger of Mausoleum Wanderer , Noble Hierarch , Rattlechains , Geist of Saint Traft , and Deputy of Detention , and activated ability of Selfless Spirit .
All that said, it's clear that in many cases a 2-mana counterspell (e.g., Negate or Mana Leak ) is better than a 2-mana stifle effect ... certainly UW Control has found that to be the case! What's not clear to me yet is if that's the case in UG Control as well ...
Cranial Plating occurrence in decks from the last year
All decks: 0.08%
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%